• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Found 20$ on the ground. What's your policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
If I find money like that and nobody is near it I just take it and put it toward a good cause like buying video games.

If I see money fall out of an individual's pocket though, I always run up to them and give it back.

If it's not in wallets, bags and objects that belong to people, the policy is finders keepers.

Unless it's a big pack of 100s, in which case you turn it in no matter where you find it.

TCRS

Banned
b5ao6CR.jpg

do this

dork

Banned
if its not inside a wallet and nobody is around its mine.

When i was like 10 or something at disney world i left my little fanny pack with my money on it in the restroom. Someone turned it in....without the money. I remember how sad i was :(. If i find a wallet or purse or anything with money and identification it gets back to the owner with everything in tact no matter what.

kewlmyc

Pocket anything that is less than $101. If it's more than that, that means there's multiple bills involved which makes it easier to identify in the lost and found of the building you found it in.

That is of course is if the lost and found isn't scummy enough to just keep it themselves.

OraleeWey

Doesn't matter how much I find, it is mine. Unless there's clearly a way to return it to the rightful owner. My brother once found $400 on the ground. We split it 50/50. Long time ago BTW, we were like under 13 y/o.

alejob

I found some money a while back. I told the front desk of the place I was at that I did. They have a lost and found. Told them that if somebody asks that I will keep it for a while but they have to tell me the amount I found. That way I'll know if it's really theirs.

I'll have to get lunch one of these days, it's been long enough.

satori

I was at legoland, my daughter found 40 bucks on the ground. It was right next to a burger shop so I had her return it there in case someone returns for it.

I know full well either the cashier will pocket it or the person will not bother looking for it. But alas I had to set an example.

If it was just me I probably just pocket it lol.

When I was younger, my friend and I were playing near the train tracks and found a wallet with 500 large in it. We debated and decided to return the wallet. My dad took us to the address in the wallet. Gave it to the dude and he gave me and my friend 200 each for saving him the troubles of reporting all that missing.

if it's $100 or under and its just money by itself, pocket it (unless you saw the person dropping it, of course)

once i found a wet $10 bill when i was in high school, got me some mcdonald's for lunch that day

It's yours.

This

When I went to California for the first time last summer, for E3, I found $20 USD on the bench outside of my hotel as I was waiting for an Uber to the airport. I ended up using it for a bottle at the duty-free at the airport.

If I see someone drop money, I will tell them. But if it's been left by someone accidentally, and they're MIA, then I pick it up. Anyone else would.

$20 is an insignificant enough amount of money that I can't really see myself going out of my way to try to find its rightful owner. Even just going to the front desk and handing it over to someone to hold on to in case the person comes back seems silly: it's only $20. Now, if a person came round and actually seemed worried about having lost a $20 bill and asked if I'd seen it, I'd just hand it over.

I'm not sure where my cutoff would be for what constitutes a significant amount of cash, but I'd probably just say somewhere around $100 or more. I'm not sure if turning it in to the front desk would see that money get back to its owner, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable pocketing a $100 bill.

As Redman once said "If you see $20 on the floor, homeboy tell me what you gonna do!?"
"Pick it up!! Pick it up!!"

or something like that.
but regardless of the amount. I'm picking it up.

happened to me in Paris, and it was 100 Euros

I looked around, didn't see anyone in distress or checking pockets, picked it up and walked off a bit to lean on the wall off next to the path I was on, fiddled with my phone for a min or 2. some frazzled looking lady came walking along searching the ground obviously and I asked her what she lost, and the amount. was hers, gave it back. she said bless you and I said LADY GOD IS DEAD. ok that last bit I made up. felt good though.

I lol'd.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Anything in a single bill is yours. Finding $5,000 is another thing.
If I found five grand on the side walk I wouldn't even touch it. Somebody is coming for that money.

Pharaun

Semi-related to the topic. Last week $5 fell out my pocket at the 7-11 near my work, the manager noticed, but wasn't able to flag me down as I was leaving. He set the money aside and gave it back to me when I stopped in this morning on my way to work. It was only $5 and I didn't really miss it, but the guy was a total bro for hanging on to it and giving it back.

Moofers

OP I had this happen a couple weeks ago! I made a legit attempt to search the parking lot where I found it to see if there might be anyone nearby who could have just dropped it, but there wasn't a soul around. I took a good minute or two to search but since I didn't see anybody, I kept it and bought my wife lunch.

I never pick it up. I always fear that one day, I'll be down on my luck, and accidentally drop my last $100... and someone will have picked it up and said "Finders Keepers!" and I'm screwed. I don't believe in a lot, but I do believe in karma for some strange reason.

I guess I was raised to not take anything that isn't mine, and I still live by it. Dunno. Feels weird.

_Ryo_

Incorrect. I meant loose, not lost. Meaning that it was not firmly in place, ie, in a wallet.

Also, that thread details the the spectacle that is people being unable to distinguish between the words "lose" and "loose." If I were to have said "If I find lose money, I keep it." it would have been grammatically incorrect. The one you're thinking of is "If I find lost money, I keep it.", but that's not what I said or what I particularly even meant. I said if I found loose money, without identification, I keep it. Meaning, if I find 20 on the street, with no ID and no one there to clam it, I keep it.

Thanks for playing. :)

Diablos

I'd say pocket the money if you really needed it, but you never know -- it could be a trap with a webcam in a nearby window capturing you giving zero fucks and taking someone else's money.

x <= 20 - Keep it
20 < x <= 100 - Spend some time looking around for someone who looks like they may have lost it. If I can't find anyone, keep it.
x > 100 - Hand it into the police station and hope no one claims it for a year and a day so I can keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom