• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Found Out My Friend is a Flat Earther Today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Moc

Banned
I am not being sarcastic or any of that non sense. I am being real with my observations and I am a firm believer that the Earth is flat. For me to believe otherwise I would have to go out in space and see it for myself with my own eyes.

I am not being sarcastic or any of that non sense. I am being real with my observations and I am a firm believer that the Earth is run by a team of Unicorns from Saturn. For me to believe otherwise I would have to go out in space and see that the Unicorns are not really there for myself with my own eyes.

Sounds silly, doesn't it?

Maximo

Does it matter? I'd love to have a friend with a crazy difference of opinion. Is knowing the earth is round your entire relationship and now the friendship must not continue. Are you atheist and block out all friends remotely convinced in a higher power or vicer versa?

Has he posted a thread that you're a round earther and now he mustn't talk to you anymore? Mock his opionion and debate sure, but it seems a little fickle to dump a friendship over one difference of opionion.

The dude is a complete idiot anyone that believes the earth is flat is not worth the time.

Impulsor

Does it matter? I'd love to have a friend with a crazy difference of opinion. Is knowing the earth is round your entire relationship and now the friendship must not continue. Are you atheist and block out all friends remotely convinced in a higher power or vicer versa?

Has he posted a thread that you're a round earther and now he mustn't talk to you anymore? Mock his opionion and debate sure, but it seems a little fickle to dump a friendship over one difference of opionion.

Of course it matters. This isn't an opinion, it is a proven FACT. It isn't that my relationship with a friend would depend on that specifically, but it would be a huge dissappointment for me discovering my friend is dumb. It's worrying to me that a lot of human beings are seemingly choosing to be stupid on purpose.

I'd assume he didn't drop the friendship, he just dropped the subject and would most probably not talk about this with him again.

I don't even know how I would discuss current events with someone who thought the earth was flat. They already think the vast majority of the world's science and academic establishments and governments and who knows how many other people are in on a conspiracy to conceal this "truth". I would lose all respect for what they had to say.

I honestly I cannot abide by flat earthers, the simple thing I cannot get my head round is how they explain flying/sailing in one direction and coming back to the same point! do they magically teleport? Where exactly is the edge of the earth?
And they all have to believe the moon landings and all space exploration is faked too right?

I feel like we need re-education centres for such beliefs and that is a very right wing thing for me to say, and I find it very conflicting

NeonBlack

I honestly I cannot abide by flat earthers, the simple thing I cannot get my head round is how they explain flying/sailing in one direction and coming back to the same point! do they magically teleport? Where exactly is the edge of the earth?
And they all have to believe the moon landings and all space exploration is faked too right?

I feel like we need re-education centres for such beliefs and that is a very right wing thing for me to say, and I find it very conflicting

You're actually going around in a circle when you're in a airplane. Which is why no one falls off.

NEO0MJ

You're thinking of an outdated model. Most of us now believe the Earth isn't completely flat or rectangular but circular and concaved up with the continents near each other.

Alanood

You can't, you will be picked up by the military of the world rulers and disappear. Because they don't wan't you to know that earth is flat. Because beyond flat earth there are bigger secrets. We just don't know which. Rumor has it there is a ladder at the end that leads down to Flat Earth 2 where the super rich enjoy all the benefits they reaped from FE1.

It's certainly possible since where do Earth Quakes come from? Exactly, from downstairs Flat Earth 2 when they frack the bottom of Flat Earth 1.
Dear flat earthers, I'm in!

You're actually going around in a circle when you're in a airplane. Which is why no one falls off.

You're thinking of an outdated model. Most of us now believe the Earth isn't completely flat or rectangular but circular and concaved up with the continents near each other.

Dammit people I can't tell who is being sarcastic anymore!

The only way i'll accept a flat earth is if we damn well turn out to be all in a discworld novel

Dantooine

Banned
What hope do we ever have of getting rid of religion if people still believe the earth is flat!?!
I wouldn't be friends with someone who was a flat earther, and to be honest I'd probably drop them on their head to try and bring them to their senses. Wtf.

Humans = dumb animal.

sinxtanx

More than just ignoring science, it ignores politics

like why the fuck is North Korea and other rogue actors playing along if the Earth is flat

believeing Flat Earth is being covered up is believeing that you saying the Earth is Flat has been covered up already and no one heard you say it yeah it's that effective of a coverup

Alanood

They think the universe is moving upwards at such a speed that it would create exactly 1G in downwards momentum for everyone.

As if that is somehow more plausible than the existing theories we have.
I'm not really into science, but I'm sure that's impossible to happen.

I saw a Muslim scholar on tv discussing flat Earth on youtube. His proof was the Koran and I believe he was from Saudi Arabia.

So no, its not just Americans.
Nope, that guy was the joke of the year in his country.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
He is your mate. He might have controversial views, but hey, some people believe the earth was made in 7 days, some people believe the Russians are the source of all the West's evils, and some people believe that Xbox is better than PS.

Live and let live. As long as no one gets hurt (which they could do if they fall of the edge of that flat earth). Embrace idiocy because, at heart, we are all idiots in our own ways.

NEO0MJ

like why the fuck is North Korea and other rogue actors playing along if the Earth is flat

believeing Flat Earth is being covered up is believeing that you saying the Earth is Flat has been covered up already and no one heard you say it yeah it's that effective of a coverup

You underestimate the power of the lizardmen.

Sunster

He is your mate. He might have controversial views, but hey, some people believe the earth was made in 7 days, some people believe the Russians are the source of all the West's evils, and some people believe that Xbox is better than PS.

Live and let live. As long as no one gets hurt (which they could do if they fall of the edge of that flat earth). Embrace idiocy because, at heart, we are all idiots in our own ways.

something something, tie this post to Trump.

NeonBlack

North Korea needs an excuse to lie to their people?

You're denying the obvious government kickbacks they get from the UN to keep this under wraps.

Other than it being stupid as fuck, what is the danger in people believing in a flat earth? You have dangerous beliefs such as global warming not existing which allow corporations to get away with destructive behaviour. And there's racist beliefs people have that allow shitty treatment of marginalised people. But what really is the danger of stupid people believing in a flat earth. I suppose you could argue that if someone is gullible enough to believe in that then they could easily fall into more dangerous beliefs. I think it's because I see no actual danger of it catching on that it doesn't bother me. Outside of it being completely idiotic of course.

Other than it being stupid as fuck, what is the danger in people believing in a flat earth? You have dangerous beliefs such as global warming not existing which allow corporations to get away with destructive behaviour. And there's racist beliefs people have that allow shitty treatment of marginalised people. But what really is the danger of stupid people believing in a flat earth. I suppose you could argue that if someone is gullible enough to believe in that then they could easily fall into more dangerous beliefs. I think it's because I see no actual danger of it catching on that it doesn't bother me. Outside of it being completely idiotic of course.
If you believe in a flat earth you also can't trust the government (at all) and then shit gets political and those people vote.

And those people won't stop to infect others with their anti-science / anti-everything views.

All this time, I thought the term 'Flat Earther' was just a way to categorize someone who was stubbornly or stupidly anti-science. I really had no idea there are actually people out there that think the fucking planet is flat. Holy shit.

The one cool thing about there being 7 billion people is that you can be suuuuuper picky about whom you spend your time with.

I have no time/energy for stupidity/ignorance and/or mental illnesses/fanatic religions.

Doc_Drop

I never brought up religion. I said flat earth belief comes with more than flat or round earth technicality. It also means you think Nasa, ESA, moon landings are fake, and a whole lot more like flight paths, satellites, the ISS. Too much to list here.

I quoted someone saying their partner believes in a flat earth.
Sorry,my bad. I didn't go back far enough down the line of quotes and took it out of context. Apologies

Media

Coming back to this thread an seeing we have one here is depressing.

Watch the damn Felix video of him jumping out of a balloon from the edge of fucking space .

Oh, but those cameras also all are made with special earth curving lenses I suppose.

Watch the damn Felix video of him jumping out of a balloon from the edge of fucking space .

Oh, but those cameras also all are made with special earth curving lenses I suppose.

I love the simplicity of their arguments. It's like they think everyone else is so stupid that we don't deserve a better explanation for their nonsense other than 'curved lens'.

"Oh the reason the earth looks curved from a plane is because the windows on the plane are curved". Well then why doesn't the terminal look curved when I'm on the runway?

I've never come across someone with this stupid belief...Is this a USA thing? Do people in other parts of the world think this way as well?

ZOONAMI

So how do you explain the moon being out when it's light outside and if you look at the moon, you can actually see the blue sky through the moon.

Apparently you just have some vision problems if you can't see the curvature of the earth at 35,000 feet and you can apparently see through solid, opaque, objects.

Media

I love the simplicity of their arguments. It's like they think everyone else is so stupid that we don't deserve a better explanation for their nonsense other than 'curved lens'.

"Oh the reason the earth looks curved from a plane is because the windows on the plane are curved". Well then why doesn't the terminal look curved when I'm on the runway?

The Windows are special Windows that change the higher you get up. Airlines install these expensive as fuck Windows for reasons, and then cram every single cent into making sure we as as miserable as possible while flying to save money.

Debates over the many scientific theories and spiritual faiths are one thing, but there are hundreds if not thousands of unedited videos online of amateurs launching stuff into the atmosphere, and many more of other orbital launches. The people who still believe this and post on the internet of all places are either willfully ignorant dumbasses, or really bored trolls. Not everything is a fucking conspiracy.

*Splinter

I have this theory that every single person who claims to believe in a flat earth is just fucking with us for their own sick pleasure.

It's a lie I tell myself to feel better about the world.

elyetis

I think that's actually a bad example, I think ( I might misremember ) the camera actually did curve the picture.

hobozero

Find a flat earther in your life and pay for flying lessons. Make sure you get some too. Head somewhere nice, like New York. Then the two of you set off in separate planes headed for London at the same speed. Flat Earth bro can go in a straight line, but you take a curved path - see who gets there first.

For added fun, include just enough fuel to make about 3,470 miles.

I am sure you will be accused of cheating, assuming the rescue teams can find the other plane and ask the pilot.

This isn't a difference of opinion. It's a difference of facts, and to deviate means you are dismissing mountains of actual truth that would affect everything. Its a difference of reality.

I wouldn't personally allow a friend drop down a loophole of craziness without a fight. If they persist in their beliefs, as they do, they can find a new friend. Life is hard enough with known facts.

Reeks

It's not even science. This stuff was sorted out 2300 years ago through basic observation.

Possibly as early as ~13,000 years ago....

The site is at Gobekli Tepe in southern Turkey, which experts now believe may have been an ancient observatory.

Computer software was used to match carvings of animals – interpreted as astronomical symbols – to patterns of stars and pinpoint the event to 10950 BC.

Other evidence for the impact from a Greenland ice core suggests roughly the same time frame.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newscientist.com/article/2128512-ancient-carvings-show-comet-hit-earth-and-triggered-mini-ice-age/amp/

All of them witches.

rjinaz

It has to be for their day/night cycle explanation to even halfway work.

You need to go deeper

SunAnimation.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom