• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Found Out My Friend is a Flat Earther Today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

🤔 I never said I was better than them. Like I said, it's my own observation, I don't have to agree with everything scientist say or state 100% of the time because they have proven themselves to be wrong on occasions.

Oh here's another one I thought of having flown.

Sometimes when you're flying in a plane eastwardly on a long enough flight you'll see a double sunrise, because the Earth's mass is actually covering the sun up briefly and then it emerges again.

How come this happens if the Earth is flat?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The notion of dropping him as some have suggested is pretty absurd.

It's not completely ridiculous. This sort of thinking can make people dangerous.
Like that guy who went to Comet Pizza with a rifle to rescue the non-existent kidnapped children.

You guys would seriously stop being friends with someone who is a flat Earther?

It's not like they're bad people because they think the earth is flat, just stupid

I mean I guess it means theyre prone to other stupid shit, but if they're nice and cool idgaf

�� I never said I was better than them. Like I said, it's my own observation, I don't have to agree with everything scientist say or state 100% of the time because they have proven themselves to be wrong on occasions.

This is literally why you give more credence to science. It is willing to test and retest and adjust its understanding of the world.

mr_nexus

Banned

It's not like they're bad people because they think the earth is flat, just stupid

I mean I guess it means theyre prone to other stupid shit, but if they're nice and cool idgaf

I understand what you mean. Being a flat-earther itself is pretty harmless but if they believe that then what other crazy things do they believe? 911 was an inside job or Sandy Hook was staged? Chemtrails? All these conspiracy theories tend to run together for a lot of these people.

Oh my... there's actually a flat-earther in this very thread. I always thought those were a myth to be honest. Or at least an elaborate group of trolls. In fact, for the sake of my sanity I'm going to continue believing that's what it is: one big trollfest to exasperate and infuriate normal people.

Ontoue

So how do you explain the moon being out when it's light outside and if you look at the moon, you can actually see the blue sky through the moon.

Air is blue.

e24a0c4637706c1e0ac067d3894ae203.jpg

Unless you believe mountains are transparent as well.

I understand what you mean. Being a flat-earther itself is pretty harmless but if they believe that then what other crazy things do they believe? 911 was an inside job or Sandy Hook was staged? Chemtrails? All these conspiracy theories tend to run together for a lot of these people.

I mean ideally I'd not become friends with someone who has these beliefs, but if I had already established a friendship with someone and found this stuff out later on, I wouldn't drop them just because they are a dumbass, unless their beliefs are having a tangible effect on someone else in a harmful way

This.

The few flat-earthers I know (not super well because hell no) have all tended to be crazies who think Sandy Hook never happened, pizza gate and a variety of other horrible conspiracy theories that are as damaging as they are stupid.

Something like this would certainly cause me to ask some questions, even if I don't like the answers I might get.

Also, this thread went from 90 to a 1,000 in like one page. lol

If I didn't already have a job I loved I would write a badass fantasy book about flat-earth then later sell it as a religion to rich celebrities.
If Hubbard can do it so can I. I would have no qualms selling these idiots snake oil if it meant getting paid.

Have you heard the good word about the Church of Horizontality?

Or maybe the Church of Planarity?

What gets me isnt the question of whether or not the earth is flat so much as the motivations behind a global conspiracy lasting for thousands of years to perpetuate the belief that its flat. And that not a single flat earth believer has rigged up some crazy high altitude balloon with a camera to test it themselves. But I guess if you had the means and technical knowledge to verifiably confirm whether or not the earth was flat you wouldn't be a flat earther to begin with ...

Reeks

How do you explain seasons?

What's the circular shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse?

Why are other planets round or are they entirely different than earth?

What force maintains the earth's disk-like shape? It would have to account for the circular form.

What keeps the sun and moon above us? What force keeps them rotating.

Why can we use a telescope to see distant planets but not the sun at nighttime? The tiny, tiny sun in the far distance...

danm999

How do you explain seasons?

What's the circular shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse?

Why are other planets round or are they entirely different than earth?

What force maintains the earth's disk-like shape? It would have to account for the circular form.

What keeps the sun and moon above us? What force keeps them rotating.

Why can we use a telescope to see distant planets but not the sun at nighttime? The tiny, tiny sun in the far distance...

Got you covered bro https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/home/index.php/faq

I would try to teach them, if anything.

Goldboy

Does Norway not exist if you have never been there?

You kid, but there are actual people out there who buy into a conspiracy theory that Finland doesn't actually exist. There was a topic either here on GAF or reddit about it a while back, I can't remember.

Reeks

Can't believe I read that page.

How Can One Circumnavigate The Earth?

Circumnavigation of the Earth is simply travelling a circular path around the North Pole.

So, they don't doubt the north pole, pole being an electromagnetic reference. If the south pole encases the earth like the red ream around bologna, then how do we explain electromagnetic measurements of the earth?

What About Seasons?

The radius of the sun's orbit around the Earth's axis symmetry varies throughout the year, being smallest when summer is in the northern annulus and largest when it is summer in the southern annulus. Additionally it also raises and lowers. This causes the effect of the sun appearing to move in a figure eight throughout a year.

God this is killing me. If the sun was that small and moving up and down / forward and back, it's size would seem drastically different throughout the year.

This hurts my soul.

"Id debate you more about how the earth is flat, but its getting dark and I need to go to bed"

"Really, its the middle of the day for me. Pretty weird, huh"

mr_nexus

Banned
You kid, but there are actual people out there who buy into a conspiracy theory that Finland doesn't actually exist. There was a topic either here on GAF or reddit about it a while back, I can't remember.

I remember reading the thread a long time ago, it was pretty funny.

I know people 'lol' about this but it's a serious problem. Anti-intellectualism is a cancer in society, a serious threat. Personally I'd lock all these fuckers up and throw away the key. I absolutely fucking would. I feel nothing but utter contempt for these fuckers.

adamy

Banned
I know people 'lol' about this but it's a serious problem. Anti-intellectualism is a cancer in society, a serious threat. Personally I'd lock all these fuckers up and throw away the key. I absolutely fucking would. I feel nothing but utter contempt for these fuckers.

bit harsh bro

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I just assumed flat-earthers were all religious nuts, do non-religious people believe this now?

Also OP, your friend needs to realise there are consequences to saying such stupid things. If I were you I'd start messing with him in the name of your personal beliefs. Like I would start by calling him a different name altogether, when he questions it, just tell him that is how you believe his name is pronounced. If he asked you for a ride to the airport, bring him to a gas station on the opposite side of town, when he gets pissed, tell him that's where you believe the airport is etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom