• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox News Poll: Fake news hurting US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voters of all stripes are concerned fake news is hurting the nation. At the same time, most believe they can tell the difference between real news stories and fake ones.

That’s according to the latest Fox News national registered voter poll.

A large majority of voters, 84 percent, are at least somewhat concerned fake news is “hurting the country.” That includes 61 percent who are “very” worried and another 23 percent who are “somewhat” concerned.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/24/fox-news-poll-fake-news-hurting-us.html

Too bad the fake news they're talking about is CNN, the NYT and every other unbiased or liberal leaning news source that isn't Breitfart.

Guess Who

Banned
Voters of all stripes are concerned fake news is hurting the nation. At the same time, most believe they can tell the difference between real news stories and fake ones.

Well, yes. The news that matches my beliefs is the real stuff, and the news that doesn't is fake. And the other side's fake news is destroying America.

Stopdoor

Good, but obviously there's a difference between "Fake News" and Trump's "Fake News". Everyone believing the other side is fake news seems just as damaging as the actual fact and fiction.

So do they mean fake news, or what Trump believes to be fake news? Because there's a world of difference between the two.

I was having a nice day, the sun was shining. I was feeling pretty good. Then I remembered the insanity that's going on in your neck of the woods with this orange asshole, and mine with Brexit and my good mood quickly evaporated. How the fuck did we get here?

They're probably talking about anything that they dont want to hear.

Climate Change, any type of statistics or studies that are unpleasant for conservatives, Trumps troubling connections to Russia, etc.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
To Conservatives, "Fake News" means CNN, NY Times, NPR, etc. To Liberals, "Fake News" are the thousands of unnamed conservatives "blogs" that post bullshit to Facebook.

One set of these is not like the other. . .

Ominym

Banned
Too bad the fake news they're talking about is CNN, the NYT and every other unbiased or liberal leaning news source that isn't Breitfart.
Bingo. We all agree fake news is bad, but we will fight to the death over determining what sources are or aren't fake.

Research methodologies and source vetting really should be taught more heavily in high school, because it's clear what we're given isn't cutting it.

Brakke

Banned
We all need to get together and agree to drop the term "fake news", which went from a useful term (to describe an interesting and super niche story about Macedonian teens gaming tech company algorithms) to Totally Vacuous Meme in record time.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I'm I understanding Foxes perspective correctly here? When they say "Fake News", its like how Trump says "Fake News" and not actually like the Fake News they and Trump report and cite; right?

rjinaz

Aren't fox polls typically decent? What's the problem here?

Because when the President says CNN is Fake News and promotes website like Breitbart and lifezette, then fakenews has no real meaning. The poll is kind of pointless. Yes Trump has made a poll about fake news pointless. It's amazing.

guek

Banned
I'd be interested in seeing how often people can actually spot fake news.

There was an NPR story a few weeks back asking high school students to try to discern between fake and real news headlines and their accuracy was about 50%. Not a really scientific study but it was interesting to listen to them try to figure it out.

Brakke

Banned
I'm I understanding Foxes perspective correctly here? When they say "Fake News", its like how Trump says "Fake News" and not actually like the Fake News they and Trump report and cite; right?

They link the poll results and methodology from the article. The question is simply "How concerned are you that fake news is hurting the country?".

Aren't fox polls typically decent? What's the problem here?

There's nothing really wrong with the methodology, Fox News polls aren't really biased in their sampling or anything. It's just a useless question because there's no commonly-understood definition for what "fake news" even means. The well is poisoned there.

There aren't even any pronounced disparities in the crosstabs, so there's really nothing here to dig into.

HeySeuss

Interesting how only now anybody cares about "fake news" now that the right has power again. When it was anti-Obama fake news it was a OK.

Harmen

Not a US citizen, but I recall seeing a FOX news report about Muslim "no go" zones in Europe and that was 100% fake news. So them to report on fake news seems a bit ironic to me.

Kyzer

Banned
Fox is full of shit but I really doubt they consider their liberal counterparts as fake news, they are all accredited journalists. Saying theyre just talking about cnn and ny times is kind of attacking them for something they didnt do. Now, foxs viewers might be a different story...

Sorry ive never felt the need to defend fox before but even they were rolling their eyes at trump going on about his crowd sizes

This is the natural progression of an economic system that values profit over anything else and governing systems that prop them up. This is what endgame capitalism looks like from a business owners point of view.

This. This is gameification of real life in action.

black-mirror-_1.jpg

Wulfric

Well I am concerned, but I don't think Fox and I have the same organizations in mind. Like, I'm worried about Fox and RT, and they're talking about CNN and Washington Post. I have no idea how you even begin to bridge that divide.

We shouldn't have to wait until college to take a class on research methods and evaluating sources; in today's world that's a better topic to learn in high school.

Sianos

We all need to get together and agree to drop the term "fake news", which went from a useful term (to describe an interesting and super niche story about Macedonian teens gaming tech company algorithms) to Totally Vacuous Meme in record time.
I think we need to drop the use "terms" in general - so many useful sociology terms are developed only for them to be almost immediately perverted through misuse both unintentional and intentional. People sliding along the connotative spectrum as convenient via the motte-and-bailey fallacy or just straight up insisting that they will use their own personal definition of a word and clinging to it even as people try to explain what they meant. It's better to just be as verbose and precise as possible.

However, the problem then becomes that discussion becomes impenetrable to less informed and less literate, and thus starts the accusations of writers being "smug" and the scope of their messages severely reduced. But then again, if no one knows what complex concepts the new terms are standins for in the first place, it's not like the terms are actually helping.

When I'm feeling sassy, I phrase it as "people have to show that they deserve the privilege of words - if they do not, they will receive paragraphs where a word could have sufficed".

Kusagari

Fox is full of shit but I really doubt they consider their liberal counterparts as fake news, they are all accredited journalists. Saying theyre just talking about cnn and ny times is kind of attacking them for something they didnt do. Now, foxs viewers might be a different story...

Sorry ive never felt the need to defend fox before but even they were rolling their eyes at trump going on about his crowd sizes

I'm pretty sure everyone in here is talking about the Trump supporters in this poll seeing CNN as fake news. Not Fox themselves.

Zen Aku

Honestly it makes me sad when people refused to see hard facts and scientific evidence. Have we devolved to the points where forgone all of that because it doesn't fit on point of view? In an age where those things are more accessible now than ever.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This probably says more about political polarization than it does about actual, non-verifiable fake news.

Non-verifiable doesn't even mean fake. Fake news is reporting that was intentionally fabricated, like that bullshit about people using food stamps to buy marijuana in Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom