• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox News Poll: Fake news hurting US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
Fox is full of shit but I really doubt they consider their liberal counterparts as fake news, they are all accredited journalists. Saying theyre just talking about cnn and ny times is kind of attacking them for something they didnt do. Now, foxs viewers might be a different story...

Sorry ive never felt the need to defend fox before but even they were rolling their eyes at trump going on about his crowd sizes

You're not talking about the same thing everyone else is talking about. Fox News here is publishing a poll of Registered Voters, agnostic of whether those people watch Fox News.

I think we need to drop the use "terms" in general - so many useful sociology terms are developed only for them to be almost immediately perverted through misuse both unintentional and intentional. People sliding along the connotative spectrum as convenient via the motte-and-bailey fallacy or just straight up insisting that they will use their own personal definition of a word and clinging to it even as people try to explain what they meant. It's better to just be as verbose and precise as possible.

However, the problem then becomes that discussion becomes impenetrable to less informed and less literate, and thus starts the accusations of writers being "smug" and the scope of their messages severely reduced. But then again, if no one knows what complex concepts the new terms are standins for in the first place, it's not like the terms are actually helping.

When I'm feeling sassy, I phrase it as "people have to show that they deserve the privilege of words - if they do not, they will receive paragraphs where a word could have sufficed".

Totally agree. This happened to "trigger warnings" and "triggered", too, where a useful term was immediately misunderstood by well-meaning people, co-opted by bad faith actors, and then used to ironically mock the bad faith people by ambiguously-meaning shitposters. It's totally devoid of connotation or even, really, denotation now. I caught myself using it in jokes and then realized the jokes didn't have punchlines or bite or an angle or anything, they were just meme-noise. Same goes for fake news now.

fritolay

I'm sure you do.

Ooh, I do!

Tell us!

Obama won because many Christians would rather vote a democrat, even non-white Christian democrat, than a Mormon. Many Christians still feel Mormons are a cult. Look at Mormon history in the midwest. I am telling you this from people I know and talk to back there. If another Republican Christian had ran that had a chance, Obama would have lost.

Trump won because Christians and other would rather have a Christian republican, that will get jobs back, and fight the politicians. Even though is he rich guy they can't relate to in any other way, he was better than other options which says a lot. if you look at wealth distribution in the US, it more unequal and getting worse. Getting back manufacturing and other middle class jobs with Christian beliefs, bingo. He connected with voters and told them what they wanted to hear.

That is why Obama and Trump won.

I am not saying this is my beliefs, but there are reason many voted that way. And now we have fake news stirring things up to the point where people are misguided.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This Fake News thing is one of Trump's smartest moves.

He knows a huge chunk of his base is uneducated, and he's taking advantage of them.

It was religion where I learned that people were weak minded, and that was at the ripe ole' age of like 10 years old. Since then nothing surprises me.

fritolay

This Fake News thing is one of Trump's smartest moves.

He knows a huge chunk of his base is uneducated, and he's taking advantage of them.

It was religion where I learned that people were weak minded, and that was at the ripe ole' age of like 10 years old. Since then nothing surprises me.

Much of this is true.

A religious Trump support said "Trump is a born again Christian after his third divorce". That is why they were going with him, jobs, stirring up politics, and Hillary is evil. That was the reason they were driving across the country to Wisconsin the week before elections to help rally voters. This was an older maybe retired lady with a group similar in age.

Too bad the fake news they're talking about is CNN, the NYT and every other unbiased or liberal leaning news source that isn't Breitfart.

Unfortunately Fox News viewers think CNN and New York Times are fake too

Watch the video in the OP's source and you'll be surprised. Fox News is actually standing up for CNN and calls them a "legitimate news organisation" that reports "real news". They state that Trump hopes to divide and conquer major news media, but that they (Fox News) will not let it happen.

Made me feel a little better.

Okay so since this is Fox News they do finish the video by saying "all presidents do it", effectively telling their viewers "move on folks, nothing to see here, it's not Trump's fault".

Sianos

Totally agree. This happened to "trigger warnings" and "triggered", too, where a useful term was immediately misunderstood by well-meaning people, co-opted by bad faith actors, and then used to ironically mock the bad faith people by ambiguously-meaning shitposters. It's totally devoid of connotation or even, really, denotation now. I caught myself using it in jokes and then realized the jokes didn't have punchlines or bite or an angle or anything, they were just meme-noise. Same goes for fake news now.

The problem is that I really don't know the solution to this, and that this effect is magnified even more in verbal discussions and of course on cable news. How can we have a conversation when any attempt to bridge the gap from complex abstract concepts to the real world - or more accurately, to their schematic representation of the "real world" that is of questionable accuracy - is immediately sabotaged? The amount of time and effort required to equip someone to be able to process an abstract concept far exceeds that which goes into the next junk argument appealing to primal human biases that only makes sense based on the priors of a flawed schematic representation of the world - but does make "sense" inside that twisted framework, leading to the task of having to wind through their entire worldview to prove it wrong.

I think I'm falling into the same fallacy I accuse Trump supporters of: I'm being nostalgic for a time that didn't exist - and that the world as an aggregate never cared about intellectual depth outside of few enclaves and any appearance indicating otherwise is out of a hindsight bias towards recognizing what ended up being true and preserving that for the future.

I guess the "solution" for right now is to pick up the pieces once they come crashing down and hope people are too shellshocked to ask too many questions out of their depth - but the cost of this accelerationism upon the average person is unacceptable to me. There has to be a better way to teach people than for them to have to suffer and learn through experience!

taoofjord

I'll be happy to support a media outlet with a monthly donation as soon as I can find one that doesn't have fucking sponsored click bait articles full of fake stories. I mean, seriously, fuck pretty much every outlet on both sides of the spectrum for being part of the problem. Fuck them, for soaking up the clicks during the election by covering things that should NOT have been promoted or given equal weight to. Fuck them for being one of the main reasons we got into this mess.

NimbusD

from the shit the conservative people in my circles say, they don't actually understand what fake news is. Much like Trump. It's just a buzz word that means news that you dont agree with.

Watch the video in the OP's source and you'll be surprised. Fox News is actually standing up for CNN and calls them a "legitimate news organisation" that reports "real news". They state that Trump hopes to divide and conquer major news media, but that they (Fox News) will not let it happen.

Made me feel a little better.

Okay so since this is Fox News they do finish the video by saying "all presidents do it", effectively telling their viewers "move on folks, nothing to see here, it's not Trump's fault".

Im sure they want to stand by other news outlets as reputable journalists as well, but they've hitched their horse to this:

from the shit the conservative people in my circles say, they don't actually understand what fake news is. Much like Trump. It's just a buzz word that means news that you dont agree with.

...which means they turn, they burn. If Glenn Beck had kept his heel-face turn, if Hannity consistantly questioned Trump like he did Obama in his political theater, they'd have an entire core audience potentially break on them to deeper, WH-approved Breitbart and the like to keep up the masquerades in their heads that the likes of FN instigated last decade.

Fox news is the downfall of America. Their brainwashing created the far right and today's Republicans who brought Trump to power.

https://info.mrc.org/DBLM.html
Charlotte%20billboard_1.JPG

I bet you after he bans "fake news" from TV, he'll instruct the FCC to ban "fake websites" like NeoGaf and any other internet forums that people discuss "fake news" about Trump on.

He'll issue an executive order making a Nationwide firewall that blocks specific IP addresses and shuts down servers.

Fake news is just propaganda at this point

is not propaganda comrade, just atrophying your ability to get real information and confuse you further until you believe anything the world's greatest country, mother Russia, tells you to.

it's totally propaganda, but libertarians are idiots who don't understand inherent ideology in consumption and technology. And that makes them fools too.

Breads

Banned
is not propaganda comrade, just atrophying your ability to get real information and confuse you further until you believe anything the world's greatest country, mother Russia, tells you to.

it's totally propaganda, but libertarians are idiots who don't understand inherent ideology in consumption and technology. And that makes them fools too.

"Millions of illegal votes" with absolutely no evidence while decrying sources that criticize you as fake news is literally propaganda.

There is no other way to look at it.

They have no defense for it other than hoping people are dumb enough to continue parroting it while pretending it's anything other than what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom