• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"FREE" 1 Year ECA membership... for the price of YOUR SOUL. Read if you applied.

botticus

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I see the forums are still down. I guess they're gone for good?
I have a feeling they'll wait until the hundreds or thousands of cancellation requests are taken care of, they probably don't want all those people shitting up the forums again.

Though that reminds me, can anyone who was canceled still log into the forums? They're different credentials, but I didn't know if you had to log into your account before logging into the forums.

Chrange

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I see the forums are still down. I guess they're gone for good?

Well they weren't really taken down for 'maintenance' anyway, it's just another way the ECA has been so ridiculously 'pro' consumer in the whole thing. :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, this is odd, I just got an email thanking me for my cancellation. Only thing is, I never canceled. Oh well, saves me a stamp.

kmfdmpig

Drkirby said:
Ok, this is odd, I just got an email thanking me for my cancellation. Only thing is, I never canceled. Oh well, saves me a stamp.

I got the same thing. I think for me it's because I signed onto the CAG petition thing. In any event it's a case of good riddance to bad rubbish for me (and based on their handling of the whole situation I'm sure they feel the same). I never used a discount (nor intended to exploit them), but thought that the group had a good cause and was interested in learning more. Hal's note left a sour taste in my mouth, however, so while I'm happy they've implemented some changes I do not forsee ever wanting to be a member again.

feel

Teetris said:
Wait, what the heck happened here? Gaffers got screwed over? :lol

Anyone got a summary?
335dq9y.jpg

bluehat9

I got an email and a physical letter in the mail last week (I sent in my own letter to the ECA and signed that CAG petition/cancellation request thing).

EdgecrusherLSU

Neo Member
Put my name in with that ECA Cancellation list and just received a cancellation confirmation e-mail. Anyone happen to know who put that together so I could thank him?

skrew

Banned
I'm not trying to defend ECA in any way what so ever,but is it so fucking hard to send a letter? Are you guys that lazy that raging on message boards and signing up for cancellation lists and posting about how you hope it works is easier that mailing a letter?

linkboy

EdgecrusherLSU said:
Put my name in with that ECA Cancellation list and just received a cancellation confirmation e-mail. Anyone happen to know who put that together so I could thank him?

Cheapass Gamer put it together.

I just recieved my cancellation letter as well :)D ).

Volcynika

skrew said:
I'm not trying to defend ECA in any way what so ever,but is it so fucking hard to send a letter? Are you guys that lazy that raging on message boards and signing up for cancellation lists and posting about how you hope it works is easier that mailing a letter?

How hard is it to allow people a way to sign up and put in information ONLINE and not let them cancel ONLINE? Are they that lazy?

Think about both sides of that complaint before you make one.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Got a response back from the BBB today,

theeca said:
The Membership Terms & Conditions sets out what a member must do to cancel their membership. Additionally, a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on the site sets the simple process as well.

How laughable.
I responding back saying this was unacceptable, and did not accept the resolution.

Suikoguy said:

How laughable.
I responding back saying this was unacceptable, and did not accept the resolution.
Yup same here. If I join online I should be able to cancel online. I responded back as well.

Banned
Got an email from ECA.

Thank you for your letter requesting to terminate your membership with the Entertainment Consumers Association (ECA). This notice is confirmation that your request has been processed and your membership in the organization is cancelled.

All credit card information relevant to processing your dues has been removed, so if you wish to re-join the association going forward new/updated payment information will need to be manually re-entered.

To re-join the ECA, please visit http://www.theeca.com.

Thank you.

Only sent them the google post card. :lol

Suikoguy said:

How laughable.

Got the same response myself, and refused it as a resolution as well.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
sangreal said:
It says that they removed the section of the TOS that was being interpreted to mean they would try to charge expired cards by changing the date

INTERPRETED?

It said in plain English that they would

What are you supposed to put in the mail?

I already sent a letter with my name and email address while asking to cancel my account. I didn't miss anything did I?

JosM88 said:
What are you supposed to put in the mail?

I already sent a letter with my name and email address while asking to cancel my account. I didn't miss anything did I?
I wonder too because I thought I read somewhere it had to be certified mail? I have no issues sending a traditional letter via mail, but certifying it? I dunno, I could be wrong.

BoilersFan23 said:
I wonder too because I thought I read somewhere it had to be certified mail? I have no issues sending a traditional letter via mail, but certifying it? I dunno, I could be wrong.

You want to send it certified just so that the ECA doesn't try say that they never got it later on.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I find it hilarious that you can't cancel via email, but they have the time to confirm your cancellation via email...

Chrange

Banned
The really ridiculous thing about all this is that they'll run a promotion at some point that draws back people who only care about getting a great deal on something. The people who actually care about consumer protection will probably never go back to being a member after all this crap.

So it seems the forums are back. Also, it looks as though the BBB has closed 7 more complaints, all of which were either resolved or accepted by the other party. I find this hard to believe. However, the ECA is still lacking a rating which is positive.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
LovingSteam said:
So it seems the forums are back. Also, it looks as though the BBB has closed 7 more complaints, all of which were either resolved or accepted by the other party. I find this hard to believe. However, the ECA is still lacking a rating which is positive.

No one has reached out to me yet.

botticus

Hero said:
Can I cancel electronically yet or what?
Why yes you can!

Log in, edit your account, click on Membership Status then follow the simple process of changing your membership to "no additional term", then clicking a couple times, then indicating whether or not you would like to set auto-renew, then click a couple more times, and indicate whether or not you would like to cancel your account.

sk3tch

botticus said:
Why yes you can!

Log in, edit your account, click on Membership Status then follow the simple process of changing your membership to "no additional term", then clicking a couple times, then indicating whether or not you would like to set auto-renew, then click a couple more times, and indicate whether or not you would like to cancel your account.

Thanks for the heads up! $20/yr paying member here...now set to not auto-renew. Hilarious that they advertise a Wal-Mart discount to try to get you to stay onboard - I checked and there is no Wal-Mart discount that I can see!! lol...ECA...

poweld

sk3tch said:
Thanks for the heads up! $20/yr paying member here...now set to not auto-renew. Hilarious that they advertise a Wal-Mart discount to try to get you to stay onboard - I checked and there is no Wal-Mart discount that I can see!! lol...ECA...
Also did the no auto renew. They showed PAX I believe as well, and I remember they had promised discounts on PAX East tickets... which also don't exist. Classy to the end.

teiresias

Yes, finally did the new online method for cancelling auto-renew and actually cancelling my membership. The whole process they make you go through is needlessly ridiculous. Why can't they put the auto-renew and cancellation buttons all on the same page and submit them all at once? Oh yeah, that would increase the likelihood that someone would actually realize they can actively cancel their membership rather than just auto-renewing.

I also left the following in the comments box at the end:
Some points that have lead to my cancellation. Recent anti-consumer changes made and actions taken by the ECA, including:
- Needless confusion over the usefulness of the online cancellation functionality
- Changes being made to the TOS without the membership being notified (a practice the ECA itself states, ironically, it is against)
- Disparaging remarks about and vilification of the members the ECA by both the President of the ECA and the moderation staff of the ECA forums.

Furthermore:
- Lack of any substantive work being done towards the ECA's own stated goals, and lack of any documentation of any such work made accessible on the website. The website has plenty of places telling us all about what the ECA believes, but there is no documentation of any actual advocacy work being done at any level to believe the organization is even effective at its own mission statement.

I haven't received the email they said they'd send yet, but I can't log into my account on the ECA website, so that's a start. Of course, if this method isn't mentioned in the TOS they can just turn around and say it's not a valid cancellation I suppose.

Cruzader

Banned
I signed up with a Gift card that is now expired/has zero credit...do I still have to cancel or when it renews it wont do shit to me?? Only personal stuff it has about me is my name&address but not my real CC info. Do I have to send a letter?

noisome07

Banned
Cruzader said:
I signed up with a Gift card that is now expired/has zero credit...do I still have to cancel or when it renews it wont do shit to me?? Only personal stuff it has about me is my name&address but not my real CC info. Do I have to send a letter?

Login on the site. In the yellow box on the left click your username. Then click "Membership status" then there's check boxes. Just choose the no-renew one and follow the steps.

Top Bottom