• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Planet |OT| Dogs and Cats, Fighting Together; Mass Hysteria

Tizoc

fp_carol_boxart33gkxk.jpg

Developer: GalaxyTrail
Release date: July 21st, 2014
Platform: PC (Windows; Mac/Linux versions planned) / Steam
Official website: http://freedomplanet.galaxytrail.com/
Demo: Windows demo, Mac demo

Freedom Planet is a fast-paced indie-developed 2D platformer for Windows PCs (with Mac/Linux versions being planned). The game has a large focus on momentum-based physics and melee combat, with a kicking soundtrack and a visual style harkening to the Genesis/Mega Drive era.

Story
For centuries, the people of the planet Avalice have relied on the mystical artifact known as the Kingdom Stone. Once every year, they make a pilgrimage to its location to stock up on its energy, so that they can power all of their devices; it is what allows Avalice's very way of life to exist.

Unfortunately, as the time for the annual pilgrimage draws near, events are transpiring that are upsetting the balance between Avalice's three major kingdoms - Shang Tu, the sky kingdom, Shang Mu, the earth kingdom, and Shuigang, the water kingdom. Recently, Shuigang's king has been murdered; his son, Prince Dail, has seemingly gone mad with grief and vengeance, sending out robots across the land and desperately looking for the killer.

Water dragon Sash Lilac and wildcat Carol Tea are on their way to the Kingdom Stone themselves. Unaffiliated with any of the three kingdoms, they live in a treehouse out in the wilderness, and steal energy crystals from the rich during the annual recharging rituals - an ignoble life, but it suits them just fine. However, just as they're out to embark on their journey, a plane comes crashing down from the sky. Lilac, always eager to help those in need, rescues the pilot (with Carol begrudgingly following her). This pilot - a strange turtle-shelled, duck-billed creature named Torque - reveals that there is a plot to steal the Kingdom Stone already in motion.

If that stone were to go missing, it would be disastrous for everyone; Lilac and Carol, one being naturally fast and the other boasting a speedy motorcycle, agree to rush over and stop the plan before it can be put to action. Little do either know that they're being tailed by a young, shy, wide-eyed little hound, Milla Basset, who's always wanted to meet a live dragon!

Meanwhile, lurking in the shadows, the imposing figure Lord Brevon is keeping track of all of the events unfolding. He has his sights set on the Kingdom Stone... but who is he, and what are his motivations? He's unaffiliated with any kingdom on Avalice - almost as if he were from out of this world...

Gameplay
Freedom Planet's core gameplay is very simple: get to the end of eleven sprawling stages, fighting a boss at the end of every single one (and frequently a miniboss or two in-between!). Along the way, you'll do battle with hundreds of enemies (floral, faunal and mechanical), while grabbing hundreds of goodies along the way.

Among the game’s collectables:

• Every stage has hundreds of Power Crystals floating around; collecting 200 of these will net you an extra 1-UP. Note that enemies can pick them up too, however! They'll generally drop them when they're defeated, but some invincible enemies are also capable of picking them up...
  • Every stage has at least one Tao Token. Grab it, and when you finish the stage, you'll be whisked away to a dice-rolling special stage; there, you can gamble thirty colored orbs (which are randomly dropped by defeated enemies, or found inside treasure chests generally hidden in nooks and crannies of the stage).
  • Your health can be replenished by collecting Health Petals; each are worth half a hitpoint. Most are found flying around alongside Power Crystals, but you can occasionally find a Health Petal Blossom that drops six Health Petals at once.
  • Various Shield Crystals can also be found sticking out of the ground; shatter them to claim its shield for yourself. Every shield will take two hits for you (no matter how damaging); however, there are five variants, based on the elements of Wu Xing, and each element has its own perks:
    • Earth shield: Yellow. Attracts nearby power crystals en masse, and nullifies most electrical attacks.
    • Wood shield: Pink. Attracts nearby Health Petals, and produces a Health Petal after collecting a set number of Power Crystals. It will also nullify poison effects from certain enemies.
    • Water shield: White-ish blue. Allows you to breathe indefinitely in places you wouldn't normally be able to.
    • Metal shield: White, with a horizontal bar repeatedly going upward. Grants total immunity to spikes.
    • Fire shield: Red, naturally. Inflicts damage to enemies it overlaps, as well as giving you immunity to fire. However, it dissipates the instant you go into water.
  • There's also a shield crystal that's rainbow-colored; this is an Invincibility Crystal, and grants you immunity to most sources of damage.
  • Lastly, hidden in every level (except the last!) are several Star Cards. Think you know a level like the back of your hand? Well, have you found all of the Star Cards in a stage to prove it?

Of course, don't think the bosses are going to be pushovers... Many multi-segmented automaton lie between you and victory, and would like nothing more than to see you dead. You best hope your combat skills are up to snuff!

Characters
The game features 3 playable characters. Each has their own abilities, letting them see areas the others cannot; some will see parts of cutscenes that the others don't; and, to top it all off, there's even a few character-specific levels. In short, playing through as all three is highly recommended!

lilacbannerbgbjsr2.gif

Lilac is generally the fastest of the three. This purple water dragon has a naturally-high top speed, fights with various kung-fu attacks with her long strands of hair, and, being a water dragon, is capable of holding her breath longer than her colleagues can.

In addition, she has two special abilities that use up a special gauge. The first is the Dragon Boost, which propels her through the air in any direction (or along the ground), ricocheting off walls like a stray bullet - good for quickly gaining height, or a quick burst of speed. The second is the Dragon Cyclone, in which she spins like a top, cutting into enemies with her hair like a sawblade.

She may not seem like she has as much going for her as the others, but don't think her more simple moveset means she's less capable than the others by any stretch of the imagination! She's the main character for a reason, after all.

carolbannerbgy6sli.gif

Carol isn't as fast on foot, but has several abilities to make up for this shortcoming. She's similarly proficient at kung-fu like Lilac, opting to use her claws in the fray - each attack individually does less damage, but she can whip the attacks out quicker, so it evens out. She can pounce from a standstill or mid-air to reach maximum speed in one go; in addition, attacking while pouncing gives her an extra-powerful claw-swipe attack. She can even do a Sonic-styled spin attack at will, while the others can only shift to this form when the level forces them into it.

She can't Dragon Boost like Lilac can, but she can climb walls, Mega Man X-style, actually letting her reach certain areas Lilac simply can't get the height to reach. She's also capable of using various jump pads throughout the stages, which can either make up for her slower speed, or let her into certain passages the other two can't reach. Her gauge-based ability is a fast-paced kick, not unlike Chun-Li's Hyakuretsukyaku, that does several attacks in quick succession while giving Carol complete invincibility.

As if all of that weren't enough, Carol has one more ace up her sleeve; scattered around Avalice are red canisters of gasoline. Run into one of those, and Carol will produce a motorcycle out of thin air! The motorcycle is as fast as Lilac (if not faster), and is capable of using up some of the special gauge for additional quick boosts of speed when on the ground. It also gives Carol a spinning double-jump, both for additional height and for another attack against aerial foes. The bike's even capable of driving straight up walls and ladders!

However, for as awesome as the bike is, you need to be careful; it can only take three hits, and once it's gone, it's gone; you can't get it back unless you find another canister of gas, and those are limited. In addition, your means of attacking are more limited on the bike than on-foot, so hopping off the bike with a pounce might be a good idea in some spots.

millabannerbgf8sy3.gif

Milla has a fairly obvious downside - she's more fragile, having only four petals on her health bar compared to the others' seven. In addition, she's never practiced martial arts once in her life, unlike her companions. Don't think she's helpless, however; she may not throw a punch or kick, but she'll throw anything else she can get her paws on! She can pick up various objects in the stages - be those power crystal boxes, health flower blossoms, timed bombs, shield or invincibility crystals, or even Carol's gasoline canisters - and hurl them directly in her foes' faces. Failing anything throwable being in the near vicinity, she can also summon blocks of green goo at will, by holding down the throw button, and pummel her foes with that instead.

She's also got access to a psychic shield ability - while this glues her paws to the ground (at least, if she's not airborne when using it), it can be aimed upward or downward, deflecting most attacks back at the attacker. In addition, it also recoils away from her when it dissipates; the resulting psychic blast can injure foes, and can be called upon more readily than her goo blocks can, although it's a weaker attack. The shield's blast can also be powered-up by having a goo block ready before calling the shield - its range and width are markedly increased, with a piercing effect that can hit multiple foes in one shot. The recoil effect is also more pronounced; it will actually hurtle Milla backwards away from the direction she shot it, adding on to her existing velocity, which can be used to gain additional speed or height in a given direction.

Being a dog, she has an innate digging ability, letting her dig up power crystals, lives, or even uncover secret rooms entirely. Lastly, she has the ability to flap her large ears to gain a significant amount of additional height; Lilac can go higher, but can't control her position in mid-air while doing so like Milla can, and Milla doesn't need any walls or motorized vehicles to gain height like Carol does.

Media
Official Trailer

Reviews
None yet!

Thanks go out to
Falk and SonicGAF for their interest in the game and their assistance in making the OT.

TLDR: it's Sonic+Ristar & Knuckles

I really enjoy the demo and backed their kickstarter last year, it also plays extremely well with the xbox one dpad.

I'll throw my demo time using Lilac into the ring using the latest version:

c4umopr.png

BTW, anyone who remembers kassatsu's old gimmick with the PlayStation Store update threads, you might want to start looking ;)

sakipon

Came for cats and dogs, saw underaged furries instead.

I do like the visual style though, that was a great era for games.

HUELEN10

TLDR: it's Sonic+Ristar & Knuckles
So it's 2D Sonic Unleashed? Sold!

I don't know when I will get a chance to play it; definitely will buy it the day I get a gaming PC, but I'm sure I'll get a chance before then! Definitely buying on console if it ever goes there (not port begging, just saying I think the game looks good!).

Only thing that turns me off is how the heck Lilac is supposed to be a dragon, but I can look past that; still better than "Jungle Badgers".

Carol is more like knuckles if you want to play it like a 2D unleashed, I guess, she has claw attacks and can wall jump or even drive up them if you get her bike power-up.

HUELEN10

Because video games.

Come on, the damned dragon looks like a cat, and the cat looks like a dragon! Is that some kind of game the devs are playing, fooling the audience or something? I am not hating on them for it, but it really makes me wonder why.

TimmiT

Come on, the damned dragon looks like a cat, and the cat looks like a dragon! Is that some kind of game the devs are playing, fooling the audience or something? I am not hating on them for it, but it really makes me wonder why.

I agree that Lilac doesn't really look like a Dragon, but Carol is pretty clearly supposed to be cat. At least in the sprites.

Characters in games or cartoons that are supposed to be animals that don't really look like those animals is far from exclusive to Freedom Planet though. I mean...
220px-Goofy.svg.png

Goofy's supposed to be a dog.

daydream

Banned
Well, someone hyped it beyond belief in the Indie threads (Shadow Hog, I think :p), so I'm rather curious. I remember the demo being pretty fun, also.

Luigi87

Wow, this looks absolutely fantastic. Of course it releases the day I leave for a trip, so definitely something I'm going to look out for when I get back.

Ranger X

Wow, Sonic clone. But that's a good thing since Sega can't make a good Sonic game anymore. Will definetely try this!

Vamphuntr

It looks really good. The backgrounds/stages are so nice that I immediately got a classic Sonic vibe from them. It's pretty interesting that the 3 characters appear to play differently. Will download the demo to try it for sure.

OP needs some videos. Stills don't do the animation and music justice.
They're planned! Went out of my way to record some lengthy footage of each character, specifically so I can show off their moveset in short, quick WebMs, as well as a montage of some of the earlier boss fights (up to stage 4, anyway).

It's just, well, I've got to juggle this, a Doom WAD I've been making for a compilation that just hit beta on Doomworld, an Aladdin LP I'm doing for SomethingAwful, and my dayjob. I'm swamped ._.

Vamphuntr

I beat the 2 levels in the demo. The Dragon Valley and the Relic Maze but the second was just a preview I think. The animations are really great and the physics of the game are really good too. Game is really fun. These two levels were a bit easy as I didn't die once but it was simply a demo.

I had no idea it even existed and now I want it. How much is it going to cost? Price is not on steam nor on the website.

I take it backers have it already? Do we know how many levels the game has.

$14.99 is the planned launch price. No idea about the price in pounds sterling or Euros.

Eleven stages, although each character only visits nine of them. Two are character-specific. There's rumblings of possibly adding more later on, such as one that was specifically set aside as "could but cut for time and the plot wouldn't suffer for it", but no idea for certain.

Beta backers have the game right now, but there's still some rough edges being ironed out (notably, missing cutscenes, although the number of those left to be done is shrinking rapidly), so general backers get the game at the same time as everyone else - but they paid $9.99, so.

This game is pretty high on my radar, due to not only looking like a beautiful Genesis-type game but also having really neat level design. I really want to play this one.

Vamphuntr

$14.99 is the planned launch price. No idea about the price in pounds sterling or Euros.

Eleven stages, although each character only visits nine of them. Two are character-specific. There's rumblings of possibly adding more later on, such as one that was specifically set aside as "could but cut for time and the plot wouldn't suffer for it", but no idea for certain.

Beta backers have the game right now, but there's still some rough edges being ironed out (notably, missing cutscenes, although the number of those left to be done is shrinking rapidly), so general backers get the game at the same time as everyone else - but they paid $9.99, so.

I see, thanks for the information. I had read the OP wrong I thought it was 11 stages plus the character exclusive. 15$ seems like a great price for it. According to the steam page they are also planning free DLC for the game too so that's great.

Lilac, I can understand not looking quite like a dragon, but Carol? Pssh, she looks very catlike.

Anyhow, being a beta tester, I might as well throw out my mini-review for this game. This game needs more attention, because, without a doubt, it is definitively one of the best platformers this year, and already on my GOTY list. It's far better than Sonic has been in years, hell, I honestly think it might be better than any Sonic game I've ever played. It feels like a lost 2D Saturn game that could've been a Sonic spin-off but just as much feels like its own thing, and it succeeds on its own merits.

The gameplay is fantastic, capturing the physics, speed and flow of the classic Sonic games while adding fairly simple combat mechanics and making enemies a legitimate threat, feeling like a sort of a mixture of Sonic, Ristar, Mega Man and Gunstar Heroes, with well-designed levels that branch into multiple paths, with a ton of hidden cards to collect. The game is challenging, but not frustrating, most particularly the bosses. I'll just say this now: Freedom Planet does bosses better than Sonic ever did, both in terms of challenge and just how damn fun they are. The demo's one boss actually pales in comparison to what the rest of the game has in store. And in some boss fights, the characters you're not playing as actually assist you in multiple ways.

The visuals and music are superb, though that's evident in the demo. The narrative is interesting, because while the story and script isn't amazing and revolutionary, and isn't really meant to be, there's just so much heart put into it and it's so well-done that there's more to it than just retro cheese. I love the characters and the story, despite my own general dislike of cutscenes, and I actually found myself laughing at some points (in a good way). But I was genuinely surprised by what Galaxytail was willing to do on-screen, which leads us to the next point - the star of the show might be in fact Lord Brevon, the game's antagonist. His evil and cruelty isn't overstated, and acquits himself impressively in the game's opening, which is in the demo, which he invades Shuigang in secret, joins the fight gleefully, and decapitates the kingdom's ruler ON-SCREEN and then brainwashes the prince without even skipping a beat. It's the sort of introduction that most villains would kill for. And that's before he performs some major dog-kicking moments later on. But that's not all to him, he's also incredibly crafty and pragmatic, and it shows in the final stage when he starts changing things to stop you (including flushing all the air from his damn ship to 'drown' you). He's such a huge bastard and yet now he's one of my favorite villains. Oh, and he pulls no punches as the final boss. The opening is only a preview of what's in store for you. Expect multiple game overs.

All in all, it's a fantastic game, and not only embraces its inspirations, but transcends them to become its own unique experience. It's a must-play, IMO.

Yuterald

Got some people name dropping hardcore Genesis classics in here (Ristar, Gunstar Heroes, etc.). That's some pretty gnar-bone impressions. Game looks cool though.

alstein

So it's 2D Sonic Unleashed? Sold!

I don't know when I will get a chance to play it; definitely will buy it the day I get a gaming PC, but I'm sure I'll get a chance before then! Definitely buying on console if it ever goes there (not port begging, just saying I think the game looks good!).

Only thing that turns me off is how the heck Lilac is supposed to be a dragon, but I can look past that; still better than "Jungle Badgers".

You won't need a gaming PC to play this- the specs on this should be about the same as Skullgirls.

I've been calling this game the Skullgirls of Sonic. Looking forward to it ever since I got to play a bit of it in late April.

Cool to see an indie game that has a hard-on for the Genesis instead of the SNES/NES for a change.

Shame about those character designs, though.

Corpekata

Banned
Looks pretty great. Sort of like how I remember games like Sonic when in reality it was a lot of "gotta go fast" for 10 seconds and then awkwardly hitting a wall and being clunky for me. Looks like this is a bit more modern and flows better.

Funny thing is, Strife is scrambling to get the last cutscenes done, but considering how quickly he's been doing them, I think he'll be done in the nick of time.

Though, I imagine he's gonna have to do a lot of work advertising it after that, he's put that off a bit too long, methinks.

I'm concerned a few cutscenes are gonna fall through the cracks for the initial release, and get patched in within the first week or so. Not exactly the best first impression, although the end result will still be okay.

Maybe he should do Early Access anyway? Full price, since the game part of the game is essentially done, and it'd leave EA as soon as the cutscenes are finished and the more egregious bugs are squashed - probably wouldn't stay in there for more than a few weeks at worst.

Tizoc

I agree with Shadow Hog, release as part of Early Access, though I notice that the game got pushed so its released AFTER 23rd of July on Steam ;)

I'm concerned a few cutscenes are gonna fall through the cracks for the initial release, and get patched in within the first week or so. Not exactly the best first impression, although the end result will still be okay.

Considering the cutscenes were the biggest thing about the demo that I didn't like, I'd be fine with that. They reminded me of stuff like that old Sonic cartoon that took itself way too seriously, which is not a good thing.

TimmiT

Guess it's been delayed. Not because not all of the cutscenes aren't implemented yet, but rather because Strife just learned that Steam doesn't do weekend releases. He thought it could be released on any day due to the way the e-mail he received was worded.

Tizoc

Guess it's been delayed. Not because not all of the cutscenes aren't implemented yet, but rather because Strife just learned that Steam doesn't do weekend releases.

Hah I did think it was weird that they were releasing on a Saturday. At the very least backers should get their sTEAM keys early :p

MrBadger

Wow, Sonic clone. But that's a good thing since Sega can't make a good Sonic game anymore. Will definetely try this!

You'd think that, but when I played it, it reminded me way more of Rocket Knight Adventures. It really feels like the best of the Megadrive's library mashed together.

alstein

If it's a delay due to no weekend launch- it will be 2 days. Folks will live, especially when they know the reason.

Might give time for a little bit of QC to boot.

Top Bottom