• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Planet |OT| Dogs and Cats, Fighting Together; Mass Hysteria

When asked about a 3DS version, Strife basically said (note: paraphrasing) "we'd love to, but being as small a team as we are right now, we're not sure we can afford several versions like that at this time; maybe once we've saved up some funds from other versions". I imagine the same applies to PS4 and Vita.

dock

The fandom for this game is really curious. Are the creators popular elsewhere, perhaps on tumblr or deviantart, or the sonic fan community?

I had a pretty negative reaction to the level design and gameplay in the demo, so I deleted in immediately. It's strange, as I enjoy the megadrive sonics quite a lot, but this feels so lacking in terms of level design. It reminded me of the worst of Dimps Sonics.

That said, it's not as though Ristar had the best level design, and this takes so many cues from that. Maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe it's just a spectacle thing.

This is in no way comparable to the worst of the Dimps Sonic games. You're not being expected to run full-speed at all times only for the devs to go "ah ha, got you! Now you ran into a wall of spikes/bottomless pit because you didn't know it was there ahead of time, you stupid idiot!" like you frequently are in the later Advance games.

When asked about a 3DS version, Strife basically said (note: paraphrasing) "we'd love to, but being as small a team as we are right now, we're not sure we can afford several versions like that at this time; maybe once we've saved up some funds from other versions". I imagine the same applies to PS4 and Vita.

Interesting. With the N3DS supporting Unity now, I'd like to see that.

Yuterald

The fandom for this game is really curious. Are the creators popular elsewhere, perhaps on tumblr or deviantart, or the sonic fan community?

I had a pretty negative reaction to the level design and gameplay in the demo, so I deleted in immediately. It's strange, as I enjoy the megadrive sonics quite a lot, but this feels so lacking in terms of level design. It reminded me of the worst of Dimps Sonics.

That said, it's not as though Ristar had the best level design, and this takes so many cues from that. Maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe it's just a spectacle thing.

I'm right there with you. I picked this up on Steam initially and was quickly turned off by the whole affair. Aside from the ultra-bad dialogue/story (which I know you can turn-off), the level design is amateur-hour central. Stages dragged and it felt like a big lesson on how not-to design stages.

danielcw

Finally got to play the game, so far I have cleared 4 stage with Lilac in story mode and cleared all Challenges with her.

My 2 main complaints are: no manual, no explanation for controls, and that the levels are too long. I wish they were divided into more smaller zones. (I had the same complaint about Shovel Knight)
The lack of proper volume controls is also a minus.

Other than that, I really like the game, I think the story is OK, the voice acting is great, the music is gorgeous, and the gameplay is fluid.

Soooo the Wii U version finally comes out tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how newcomers react to the game.

Also looking forward to seeing the Miiverse for the game turn into Dafoeverse 2: Willemtric Dafoegaloo.

Looking forward to the WiiU version. Not much hype it seems. Hope it does OK.

Will the Nindie discount still be in effect despite the delay?

Day 1 purchase from the eShop yesterday, with thanks to the Nindies demo discount.

Played and finish Lilac's story overnight. The gameplay itself was nice overall, although taking some used to, but some of the boss battles (inclding the later and final ones) were unforgiving.

Nice voicework and okay story.

I agree the scene with the big bad torturing Lilac was disturbing/unsettling, especially with how graphic it was. But then again, when are scenes like that ever NOT disturbing in media?

And yet, I totally saw it coming beforehand.

Dr. Buni

Bought the game today and I am loving it. It's pretty much classic Sonic with more variety, better characters and with a soundtrack as good as the Sonic soundtracks. The level design so far is great, too, something the side scrolling modern Sonic games sadly lacked.

Anyways, that Peacock boss is wrecking me. I am taking a break for now, but I will give him another try later. I am playing as Carol Tea, maybe I should have started with the main character instead.

The levels are always very easy, but the bosses are rather tough.

dock

I got this during the Humble Bundle, and despite initial wariness from the demo a few months ago, I thought I'd give this another go.

Wowee, that first level really goes on forever. It feels like a gigantic mess, with no focus just a massive hodge-podge of different mechanics. It took me 14 minutes to get through the level, and I was often pretty bored and just wanted it to end already.

Are the later levels as long as this?

Is there a way to play the later stages of the game right away, as the early ones don't feel like a challenge except to my patience. I'd greatly appreciate Sonic's level select.

Tizoc

See that's the thing I've been saying about the game; it should've been split into acts like how the sonic games did it.

Dr. Buni

The levels are ridiculous long for the whole game, yes. They are still fun, but hopefully they will be shorter in the sequel.

The levels are ridiculous long for the whole game, yes. They are still fun, but hopefully they will be shorter in the sequel.
I believe they confirmed as much in the initial reveal, though they also suggested there'd be more OF them as a result, so it'd even out.

I'm afraid they are. The final ones also add a lot of combat.
The final ones are broken up into individual stages, though, so there's that.

dock

Oh wow, yeah I'm not sure this game is for me.

I didn't find the first level much fun at all, it really just seemed like such a messy pile of level pieces that could only be fun for speed running. Even the clock twitching in the corner with milliseconds spinning showed how much of the game was based around this rather than regular level flow.

It'll be interesting to see if they can make it a bit more fun for more people with the sequel, but maybe they have a certain audience that is catered for by this type of thing.

Dr. Buni

Oh wow, yeah I'm not sure this game is for me.

I didn't find the first level much fun at all, it really just seemed like such a messy pile of level pieces that could only be fun for speed running. Even the clock twitching in the corner with milliseconds spinning showed how much of the game was based around this rather than regular level flow.

It'll be interesting to see if they can make it a bit more fun for more people with the sequel, but maybe they have a certain audience that is catered for by this type of thing.
If it means anything, I am not a speedrunner either, but I enjoyed the game.

Sure, I would have enjoyed it even more with shorter levels, but the long levels aren't a "game breaking" issue to me.

The first half of the game is amazing but the later half is way too tedious for me with the huge levels that are sometimes 3 or 4 segments big before you even reach an ending, only to do the same again in act 2.

I love the game but I never replayed it because of those monster sized stages.

Picked this up recently and plan on starting soon. How does this look/play on the GamePad? Am I missing out on beautiful pixel art if I don't throw this up on the TV when I play, or does the GamePad showcase the visuals enough?

The internal resolution is about 427x240, so no, I don't think you'll be missing out on much.

Though it has borders around the edge of the screen if your Wii U runs at 1080p (so it can have a clean 4x upscale to 1708x960), which might also be present on the gamepad. Haven't honestly tried.

Top Bottom