• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars (Panopticon) - Vita, 2014, "Recovery" Multiplayer Action

Dantis

Another fucking hunting game? :/

I know they want to cash in on Monster Hunter's success, but do these ever even sell that well?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

I know they want to cash in on Monster Hunter's success, but do these ever even sell that well?

There hasnt been one thats made as well as Monster Hunter yet. Which includes weapon / armor design.

You could say "Another fucking "insert stupid here" game?" about pretty much anything.

Though here in Japan for the most part, the co-op titles are usually the ones that fly off the shelf the fastest. Until people find out said game is shit anyways from the message boards or word of mouth.

crinale

A Japanese studio announcing genre catered to Japanese handheld gamers.
I see nothing wrong with that, and I personally very welcome this being a hunting game, if it really turns out to be it :D

Dantis

There hasnt been one thats made as well as Monster Hunter yet. Which includes weapon / armor design.

You could say "Another fucking "insert stupid here" game?" about pretty much anything.

Though here in Japan for the most part, the co-op titles are usually the ones that fly off the shelf the fastest. Until people find out said game is shit anyways from the message boards or word of mouth.

Well, the reason I said "Another fucking hunting game" is because the last big Vita title to come out was Soul Sacrifice.

SmokyDave

Depending upon when this game releases it will quite possibly be off shelves outside of Japan. My previous estimations of a slower product phasing out were on the assumption that it at least maintained the 30-something thousand units a month, not half that.
Well, we'll revisit this in a year or so and see what the score is.

It looks like an interesting game. But I'm just genuinely surprised that SCE are still bothering to create content for a platform that is clearly not viable. And will be even less viable in a year. And it's highly unlikely that anybody outside of Japan will get an SKU to play. I made a comment about that unlikelihood, and people decided there was a need to "fix" it.
I just think you're way off with your prediction. As to why they're creating content for the device, why do you think? Because they're going to try and make it viable, of course.

They do in Japan :D
It's total overkill, though. As if Sony's blindly throwing darts hoping one of them will stick. But none will, because the real thing is on someone else's dartboard.

So many high-profile games of the same genre (PSO2, SS, Toukiden, GE2, now this) will produce some incredible fatigue, especially considering that these developers make these games with hundreds of hours of gameplay grind in mind. Why not give us a decent JRPG instead?

Shahed

So it's confirmed to be a multiplayer action game? I mean I always assumed it would be, but part of me hoped it wasn't, and that it would have a more single player and narrative focus.

Oh well. Not really interested anymore, but I'll perhaps have another look near release

Skyzard

Banned
The official website is up. Some of the images look like in-game screenshots, and they're pretty good.
http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/freedomwars/

Also, the official trailer on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG2PeeQZGXw

Eia4Ru2.jpg

It mentions yahoo at the bottom right too.

Redhood

Wow IQ looks amazing. Hope its native res! Come one Sony First party games have no excuse to not be native res! Sell people on that screen!

Skyzard

Banned
Looks like some sort of death match? (White coats vs black coats)

White coats ran right past a black coat?

Monster Hunter based in cities...with monsters as well. It's a dystopian Gravity Rush Monster Hunter.

Monster Hunter killer confirmed.

DiscoJer

It's total overkill, though. As if Sony's blindly throwing darts hoping one of them will stick. But none will, because the real thing is on someone else's dartboard.

So many high-profile games of the same genre (PSO2, SS, Toukiden, GE2, now this) will produce some incredible fatigue, especially considering that these developers make these games with hundreds of hours of gameplay grind in mind. Why not give us a decent JRPG instead?

I don't think JRPGs really sell that great anymore. DQ does, but Falcom is what, about 150k each? Persona what, 250k? While some of the hunting games have almost reached a million, or did on the PSP, which is why they keep trying.

But to me it's like all those MMORPGs that tried to compete with WoW, but none of them really outdid WoW when it comes to content. And that's the trouble here, since Monster Hunter really builds on past releases, they have more content than its competitors.

2XZMH.png

Oh come the fuck on. So this was a teaser of a teaser of a teaser.

lol.gif

That doesn't seem to be the case. The site is just giving you dates for when the next bit of info will be revealed. I actually think that's pretty cool. Instead of guessing when info is coming they've given you various dates to look forward to.

Skyzard

Banned
That doesn't seem to be the case. The site is just giving you dates for when the next bit of info will be revealed. I actually think that's pretty cool. Instead of guessing when info is coming they've given you various dates to look forward to.

It's pretty awesome yeah.

I don't think JRPGs really sell that great anymore. DQ does, but Falcom is what, about 150k each? Persona what, 250k? While some of the hunting games have almost reached a million, or did on the PSP, which is why they keep trying.

But to me it's like all those MMORPGs that tried to compete with WoW, but none of them really outdid WoW when it comes to content. And that's the trouble here, since Monster Hunter really builds on past releases, they have more content than its competitors.
I understand why they keep trying, but it seems to me that it's a genre that, like MMOs, is especially susceptible to fatigue because of the time investment required. So Sony's not really helping any one of these clones' (I hate that term) chances by throwing them into the pit against one another.

We'll just have to wait and see how exactly this game will differentiate itself from the others. As it stands, it looks so similar to God Eater that it might as well be part of that same universe.

I agree but I can play these games all day. I have 4 friends with a Vita so the more co-op friendly games there are the better for me.

Isn't Japan favouring co-op mobile games at the moment though? Just because no game has come close the MH's success yet doesn't mean one can't.

It would be nice to have some variety although im just glad to see FPS's get the back foot now.

Cha

It's a dystopian Gravity Rush Gods Eater.

Monster Hunter killer confirmed.

Fixed that for ya.

Watched the trailer again, and can't help but get the feeling that this is not going to be a typical hunting action game.

I agree but I can play these games all day. I have 4 friends with a Vita so the more co-op friendly games there are the better for me.

Isn't Japan favouring co-op mobile games at the moment though? Just because no game has come close the MH's success yet doesn't mean one can't.

It would be nice to have some variety although im just glad to see FPS's get the back foot now.
Ironic that just as we finally get a handheld that can do FPS games justice, they're basically nowhere to be seen (relatively speaking).

I'm not speaking personally about this game anyway - just pointing out what I see as a boneheaded direction to take Vita (and its marketing) in. In my opinion as a gamer, I'm quite excited about it - by far the most artistically pleasing "hunting" game I've seen.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
But does it have as much production value :p

It has - its a pretty expansive PSP title. Before the name got out i thought it as a Sony/Bamco co-produced God Eater 3 for Vita - but why would they announce it before releasing the 2nd game :lol

jgmo870

Banned
Watched the trailer again, and can't help but get the feeling that this is not going to be a typical hunting action game.

Looks like a mix of Western and Eastern multiplayer focused games with a decent emphasis on story/characters/world to me.

duckroll

2XZMH.png

Oh come the fuck on. So this was a teaser of a teaser of a teaser.

lol.gif

What are you even complaining about? Did you even look at the site? There are a bunch of sections they'll be updating over the next week. Some sections will be unveiled on the 23rd, some on the 30th, and a bunch are up right now. They're just information about various parts of the game.

sajj316

To be precise the genre is - "Recovery" Multiplayer Action, suggesting that the missions will involved rescuing people and/or recovering objectives like the first trailer showed.

So those that are saying MH clone are wrong? If so, why are we continuing to say it is?

What are you even complaining about? Did you even look at the site? There are a bunch of sections they'll be updating over the next week. Some sections will be unveiled on the 23rd, some on the 30th, and a bunch are up right now. They're just information about various parts of the game.
It didn't all load at once.

I complained before continuing to scroll and seeing more dates. Then I got the hint.

It uses Yahoo Maps for multiplayer stuff.

The image that keeps getting posted says "Attack one another, save one another"

Some of the locked 5/30 blocks are somewhat translucent. There's one that talks about over 1,000,000 wanted criminals. Another block says Surveillance. The one next to it says Abudctor. Another says Volunteer.

This is definitely more than just a Hunting game. Nationwide GPS powered multiplayer war?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Any word on the developer? Whose composing or who's directing?

Astery

Depends on the developer, I might finally get a vita.

Can someone translate these? What does it say?

Human's crime of living "punishment 1 million years"

These punished people are sent to the frontier for war. For freedom, they are to recapture citizens.

That's roughly translated with my crappy Japanese skill.

Top Bottom