• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars (Panopticon) - Vita, 2014, "Recovery" Multiplayer Action

Endless

545u07.jpg
6f7u7d.jpg

1mlucy.jpg

2i3u78.jpg

3jouwl.jpg

4o7uk9.jpg

famitsu.com

Just watched the trailer, it seems like it is similar to Gods Eater Burst. Was this confirmed to not be coming overseas or am I missing something?

duckroll

Shitty? For a handheld? I agree that the terrain is not great but please do not exaggerate!
If that is shitty than how do you call monster hunter 4?

It's a shitty pic because it's cropped, low-res, and has text slapped over it. What do you think I meant?

duckroll

Speaking of more shitty pics on the official site (why can't they just do proper direct feed stuff instead of this? lol), I don't think this is a gameplay screen:

im_multiplay.jpg

But some of these might be, hard to tell:

background.jpg

duckroll

Yeah the wing colour looks terrible in that pic, the darker purple in the other shot looks better.

I think the color is a matter of lighting rather than the texture. The bright color is simply the light coming from the laser blast in that pic.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Speaking of more shitty pics on the official site (why can't they just do proper direct feed stuff instead of this? lol), I don't think this is a gameplay screen:

im_multiplay.jpg

But some of these might be, hard to tell:

background.jpg

Its funny in the famitsu they had marked the pictures of which was from the CG trailer and which were "not" lol

Parakeetman

With the new pics Im starting to wonder if its still going to be the same general 4 human player formula, though the catch is, each player also has the accessory android with them which makes it appear as if there are 8 players. If so really do hope that SCEJ is investing a good amount of cash on the AI for the friendly characters.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Don't know why, but seems to suffer from the same problem I have with Soul Sacrifice: it seems chaotic.

duckroll

With the new pics Im starting to wonder if its still going to be the same general 4 human player formula, though the catch is, each player also has the accessory android with them which makes it appear as if there are 8 players. If so really do hope that SCEJ is investing a good amount of cash on the AI for the friendly characters.

No, it's a 8 player game, the only question is whether there are 8 players in co-op, or if its 4 player in co-op and 4v4 in versus. The accessories are just partners, they definitely don't count towards the number of actual players.

Parakeetman

No, it's a 8 player game, the only question is whether there are 8 players in co-op, or if its 4 player in co-op and 4v4 in versus. The accessories are just partners, they definitely don't count towards the number of actual players.

The single screen shot we have of what appeared to be the VS part of the game did look like 4vs4.

Was hoping for some 8 player co-op instead though, but have doubts about that. All of the shots in the famitsu for the PVE stuff looks to be 4 players + the accessory partners. Was just flipping through the magazine here at the desk.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Rocket swords!!!!

Really digging the style they are going for. I would definitely get into playing something like SoulSacrifice with guns instead of big leafy hands. Score.

quick question - was GodEater good ? and did it release in the states? really need to fill out my vita roster.

Parakeetman

Rocket swords!!!!

Really digging the style they are going for. I would definitely get into playing something like SoulSacrifice with guns instead of big leafy hands. Score.

quick question - was GodEater good ? and did it release in the states? really need to fill out my vita roster.

I enjoyed God Eater quite a bit. Plus the fact it has an actual story with NPC characters that are not dumb as shit + useless unlike Soul Sacrifice.

It takes a bit getting used to though. The later missions are also pretty brutal so be ready for that lol The combat system isnt as deep as monster hunter for example, but it is enjoyable and battles can be pretty fast paced.
It did come out in the US also.
http://us.playstation.com/games/gods-eater-burst-psp.html

Skyzard

Banned
Don't know why, but seems to suffer from the same problem I have with Soul Sacrifice: it seems chaotic.

I'm hoping for more chaos to be honest! Make it like full on action, less standing around and waving to your enemies :) But yeah it doesn't look like it's going to be slower...

I think the color is a matter of lighting rather than the texture. The bright color is simply the light coming from the laser blast in that pic.

That would be cool, even if it was just a wing colour change, mid-effect. The ground doesn't seem affected or anything else though but yeah it seemed odd when the purple was so much better. It looks so flat as well. I know handheld game and all but still, the rest looks decent while that looks something from many gens ago.

I could have sworn I counted more than 4 people attacking a single enemy, even in that dragon shot it looks like 6 I think. Not sure if that's just the arrangement for the screens or for early advertising/sp missions or whatever. Guess we'll have to wait for confirmation but 4v4 sounds like it could lots of fun! (I'm remembering some early guild wars games). Probably best not to hope for that though.

Parakeetman

I'm hoping for more chaos to be honest! Make it like full on action, less standing around and waving to your enemies :) But yeah it doesn't look like it's going to be slower...

That would be cool, even if it was just a wing colour change, mid-effect. The ground doesn't seem affected or anything else though but yeah it seemed odd when the purple was so much better. It looks so flat as well. I know handheld game and all but still, the rest looks decent while that looks something from many gens ago.

I could have sworn I counted more than 4 people attacking a single enemy, even in that dragon shot it looks like 6 I think. Not sure if that's just the arrangement for the screens or for early advertising or whatever. Guess we'll have to wait for confirmation but 4v4 sounds like it could lots of fun! (I'm remembering some early guild wars games). Probably best not to hope for that though...

The extras that you are seeing are most likely the androids. In the famitsu magazine Ive only counted 4 player types at the most in all of the shots showed off with the large monster. The players seemed to be the ones with the headphones on in the picture with the androids being dressed like the one everyone saw in the trailer.

duckroll

Don't forget that missions are supposed to involve rescuing civilians and captured allies from the giant monsters. That means not every character might be a player or even a partner. They could just be NPCs targeted by the enemy.

Parakeetman

Don't forget that missions are supposed to involve rescuing civilians and captured allies from the giant monsters. That means not every character might be a player or even a partner. They could just be NPCs targeted by the enemy.

Duckroll you think this is going to be more PSO rather than the whole "Monster Hunter" type of game?

in the sense of a dungeon type of field where you have all sorts of quests / objectives to perform which then leads up to the big boss fight at the end?

Thats kinda the vibe Im getting

Skyzard

Banned

The extras that you are seeing are most likely the androids. In the famitsu magazine Ive only counted 4 player types at the most in all of the shots showed off with the large monster. The players seemed to be the ones with the headphones on in the picture with the androids being dressed like the one everyone saw in the trailer.

Ah I sneak edited in that it might be for the single player (which would be cool if there actually was a decent emphasis on that. Just extra bots to support you would be alright too I guess). That is interesting about the android/headphone distinction idea as well. It makes some sense I guess too although a bit strange that only the guys have headphones and the girls/bots don't? From what I saw anyway:

endless said:

Also 8 players in a single area sounds a bit too much but if it's 4v4 it's the same thing effectively I guess? Maybe without the monsters it's more doable..

They're teasing it so early, it's pretty painful.

duckroll

I don't think it's going to be like PSO, but it's probably designed to be more of an objective-driven multiplayer action game. Your character can use the grapple to move using walls and ceilings apparently, and individual parts of the large monsters can be destroyed. I don't really see how it's going to be that different from what people expect from a "Monhun game" in terms of general concept, but the mechanics will probably be more varied - like Soul Sacrifice is.

Parakeetman

I don't think it's going to be like PSO, but it's probably designed to be more of an objective-driven multiplayer action game. Your character can use the grapple to move using walls and ceilings apparently, and individual parts of the large monsters can be destroyed. I don't really see how it's going to be that different from what people expect from a "Monhun game" in terms of general concept, but the mechanics will probably be more varied - like Soul Sacrifice is.

Other reason why I had thought the PSO bit was granted it was from the VS mode, but they were in a room which appeared to have doors in the middle of them. Which gave the idea of potentially locked rooms till enemies / other players are cleared like with the original PSO game for example and the simple dungeon design.

Cha

I could have sworn I counted more than 4 people attacking a single enemy, even in that dragon shot it looks like 6 I think.

Aren't the female characters your "accessories"? They are with you on missions, so maybe that is why it looks like so many people on screen. I have a feeling that the 8 player co-op might actually mean 4 real players, and 4 accessories.

Skyzard

Banned
Aren't the female characters your "accessories"? They are with you on missions, so maybe that is why it looks like so many people on screen. I have a feeling that the 8 player co-op might actually mean 4 real players, and 4 accessories.

Okay yeah it's starting to clear up but that suggests you can't play as a female? Seems a bit early of course but that would be a little lame I think.

duckroll said:

Both awesome, nice.

Parakeetman

Okay yeah it's starting to clear up but that suggests you can't play as a female? Seems a bit early of course but that would be a little lame I think.

Both awesome, nice.

No the accessory shown off in the pics just happens to be a female one. Since in the famitsu they listed "Female" next to the name Accessory gives the intention that you will be able to pick a gender for it in the real version, besides editing the appearance.

Same should go for the character that you play as. Since its listed as "male" next to the artwork.

Top Bottom