• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freespace 2 [$2.99 GOG Weekend Sale, ends April 16] - Lets do this GAF

Minsc

Gold Member
Not Win7 compatible, so I skipped. MDK 1 and 2 as well.. :-(

Bought many of the others, though.

That info is wrong like 99% of the time (basically everything runs in Windows 7 64-bit). That really just means they don't guarantee it, but Freespace 1/2 most definitely is Win7 compatible.

ghibli99

pljoy0.jpg

I worked on this, Descent 2 & 3, etc. at IP back in the day. I remember the departments joking about developing "Descent Claw" from weeks upon weeks of working on these titles. The hats broke on these Logitech sticks all the time, but they were really good controllers otherwise.

Looking forward to playing FS2 again!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Freespace 2 is, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the greatest videogames ever. EVER. Buy it folks.

People always gush about the gameplay, as they should, but not enough people gush about its story and narrative. The way the story unfolds and is presented to the player was so well done and so subtle. The briefings were great setups to missions, where the real shit went down beautifully, and the few cinematics there were were meaningful but short and unintrusive.

Space Sims to me are one of the best genres for telling big stories and epic narratives, you can do so much and not force needless cutscenes and interruptions in order to so. I really enjoyed I-Wars story as well and the way in which is was presented and unfolded.

jsnh7076

Neo Member
holy shit dude.

holy shit.

Honestly, I've had trouble getting into Freespace. I think I might not like the genre much in general (outside of the original Elite games, maybe), but I've only ever tried with keyboard+mouse or a 360 pad.

I have one of those beasts now, as of last year. And I have my Windows 7 PC painstakingly set up with custom Xbox controller drivers already. And I have adapters for Xbox 1 to standard USB.

This might have to happen.

I'd definitely give it a try. I originally hacked the xbox connector off myself and spliced a usb plug into the cord about a year after SB came out. Found some custom drivers for it and found out those drivers worked perfectly with the game. control assignment was as simple as clicking the function on screen then pressing one of the several buttons on the panels.

Set up correctly, the game become even more immersive than what you would get with a kb/m or keyboard/joystick combo. in practice, you could have one joystick doing roll while the other handles pitch and yaw, along with every targeting, weapons management, comm function, and engine control all mapped out in a very intuitive way.

People always gush about the gameplay, as they should, but not enough people gush about its story and narrative. The way the story unfolds and is presented to the player was so well done and so subtle. The briefings were great setups to missions, where the real shit went down beautifully, and the few cinematics there were were meaningful but short and unintrusive.

Space Sims to me are one of the best genres for telling big stories and epic narratives, you can do so much and not force needless cutscenes and interruptions in order to so. I really enjoyed I-Wars story as well and the way in which is was presented and unfolded.

Indeed.

Damn shame the genre died. But eventually what was old will be new again, so hopefully a resurrection of the flight genre will come. Maybe next gen? Sure would be nice.

Jhriad

You shouldn't have any, unless you're afraid you'll buy the whole store.

Exactly the reason I'm trying not to sign up. I stop by and see Baldur's Gate, Master of Orion, and the Might & Magic 6 Game Pack and think 'Hey, I know I own all those already but this is really convenient.' I'd be too tempted to double dip or build up an even larger backlog.

mantidor

How is keyboard and mouse control?

No clue where my old joystick is.

I don't know, is completely customizable so I guess is great? As a lefty there aren't a lot of lefties joysticks that are good, so I got used to K/M back in the day and it plays flawlessly.

Does this version work with the hard light mods? I don't know where my original copy of FS2 is.

yes they do.

These threads really test my resistance to signing up for a GoG account.

There's not a single flaw with GoG, maybe that ridiculous publicity stunt they did when they pretended the site was closing which was terrible, besides that, is pretty much perfect.

And freespace for $3? I bought it for $10 and even then I thought it was a steal, with mods the game does not just play llike modern games, it actually surpasses them, give me Freespace over Mass Effect any day.

Sober

I just realized my GOG backlog is probably worse than my Steam one, that is I have barely starting playing my GOG ones.

Owensboro

Wicked! I've never played this but only heard great things. It's good to know the modding community is awesome about it. It's also good to hear an XBox controller works, as I don't have a fully functioning joystick anymore.

Also, because I can't help myself, I bought Fallout 2..... again. I wonder how many times I have bought Fallout and Fallout 2 now.

Yup, one of the game's biggest triumphs is making you feel like one tiny-ass spaceship zooming around massive ones. The plot adds to the sense of being an average Joe caught up in a war, and the way the game builds slowly from small encounters with the occasional capital ship to huge sorties with frigates and juggernauts blasting the crap out of each other with dem beam cannons is an example of pacing done right.

Risgroo

Oh wow, I'm buying both of them. I've only played the first one, but as a kid that game was the most epic shit ever. Is FS2 better? And are they alright with a mouse?

Gowans

I'm cool with Vanilla FS2 I just want in game to not be a postage stamp on my monitor.

How can I get this to 1920x1200 anyone????

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Oh wow, I'm buying both of them. I've only played the first one, but as a kid that game was the most epic shit ever. Is FS2 better? And are they alright with a mouse?

FS2 is amazing, well above the already great first game. You, as everyone else, should definitely play with the FS Open graphics updates and import of FS1 into FS2. Then play a bunch of the fan made campaigns which a number are really damn good. And they are definitely playable with just a mouse, but a good flight stick doesnt really cost much these days, 20-30 bucks can get you decent one if you find yourself interested enough.

Risgroo

Okay, bought! Man, once I get a better PC I'll go all digital, so convenient. For now I'm stuck with my crappy old laptop, but at least I can still enjoy these gems.

I'll revisit the original first, untouched, then look into mods and FS2. All I can remember about this is the intro movie where a pilot gets killed, something about Vishnu fighters and a mission where you spy on an enemy gate as massive cruisers pass through. I'll take a look around the house and see if my old(ancient) flight stick is around the attic somewhere.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah I can't imagine playing this without a stick, but that's probably just nostalgia talking.

I love the plot, too. It let you do awesome things, but was still realistic about how much impact a single fighter pilot could really have on an interstellar war.

Also, best capital sips ever in a space sim.

Also, NEBULAS.

Also, BEAMS MOTHAFUCKA BEAMS.

Freespace 2: the space sim so good everyone else just kind went "welp I give up. ain't beatin' THAT shit"

SHUT UP, THAT'S TOTALLY HOW IT HAPPENED

DJ_Lae

Well, at least I'm not the first to do this.

Was all set to buy the game, figuring that I needed to finally give it a shot.

3obbG.jpg

No idea when I bought it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ohh I totally forgot that I go FS2 working with a 360 pad almost flawlessly. I forgot what I used, but a quick google search should come up with some info, its not too hard getting a program and mapping the different keys to the controller.

I use Pinnacle Gamer Profile: This should be useful.

scitek

mantidor

Shivans > Reapers

yes I went there

Thats stating the obvious.

As much as I would love to pour praises for how awesome the story is, I just don't want to spoil it, I'll only say its freaking awesome, and the reapers' story is the equivalent of a cheap B movie in comparison.

Arcteryx

I heard this game was like Escape Velocity (my favorite Mac game of all time).

Is there any truth to that?

i8tHDvWq91yZA.png

HOLY ****!!!

EVO was one of my favorite games as a young'n

They are similar (in that you blow crap up/do missions in space), but I EVO is more lowkey compared to F2.

Lexxon

God damn I LOVED FreeSpace and FS2 as a kid. Had a great joystick too (even one of them was USB, not game port!) I doubt we still have that joystick :( It even had force feedback...

I have my old disks floating around...debating trying to install from those or just giving up the $3 to have it digital. Hmm.

Top Bottom