• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freespace 2 [$2.99 GOG Weekend Sale, ends April 16] - Lets do this GAF

Complistic

I think I played a BSG mod of freespace 2 many years ago. I love modding things so I gave this a buy. Seems really fun.

obonicus

It's funny, I've been having an itch to replay FS2 for a while. I recently bought a used G940, and this was the first game I was going to try it out on... only to find out even with FSO it doesn't accept multi-input controllers.

ilikeme

Been thinking about buying this for ages. I'll bite!

Remember playing the demo a long, long time ago and having a blast. Can't wait to try it out again. :D

Lexxon

In case it comes up...

I have the old 3-disk set for the 'Space Sim of the Year' edition I picked up at...what was it called...Software Etc. at the time? (GameStop now) I couldn't get it to install for the life of me on Windows 7 x64. I bit on the GOG version and it went fine, as it's a completely different installer. Ran FSO overnight, haven't tried it yet. Still poking around to see if my old joystick is still floating around!

EDIT: Holy balls, look what I found:

http://i.imgur.com/uVp8W.jpg

Logitech Wingman Force. In all its glory!

Major problem: It doesn't install to Windows 7 x64 at all :( I'm going to have to poke around the internets for fixes to that, or see if I can hook up an old computer with XP, as it seems support died when Vista hit.

Citizen K

how good is this with a keyboard and mouse? I think i tried it back in the day but had no joystick. i found constantly swiping the mouse annoying if i remember correctly. it any good with a 360 controller?

Suairyu

Banned
I should get on buying that flightstick+throttle. There is an entire genre (flight/space sim) that I have never been able to experience properly.

Also for MechWarrior 4.

And Afterburner.

The OG crew at Volition are too busy making Saints Row sequels to launch a Kickstarter. :(
I can only pray that the genre makes a fierce comeback such that these developers come back to this wonderful series.

As has been said, few genres are as good for story telling as the space sim genre.

WaltJay

Can anyone recommend a good flight stick that would work on Win7? I have no idea where my old flight stick and there seems to be a decent # of ones available on Amazon.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I used to play the demo of this game 24/7.

Quick question:

all those MV_ files go inside FreeSpace2\mediavps_3612\

and

the 'mod' configuration setting file and something else just sit in FreeSpace2\ root right? not in mediavps_3612 as well.

Apollyon

Neo Member
You know, I was going to skip out on getting FreeSpace 2 from GoG during this sale since I already have it installed from old discs.

...And then this thread shows up. Fuck it. It's so cheap! Might get FreeSpace 1 while I'm at it.

Still rocking this after more than a decade:

jbmkpIkFLLabCt.jpg

I once plugged this into my PS3 to try it with After Burner Climax and was shocked to find that it worked, except I couldn't pause the game. That didn't stop me at all from playing with it for a good hour.

Not going to lie, though. I've been looking for a new flight stick, at least an inexpensive one that has a twist function (VERY important). Any personal suggestions?

tborsje

I've never played this series before but I constantly hear good things about it, should I start with Freespace or Freespace 2?

Edit: Dammit, my 13 year old flight stick doesn't have any Windows 7 x64 drivers. Can't say that I'm surprised, haha.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Got this installed finally today after 6 fails via direct DL. Used the GOG installer. Now for some good mods and the best widescreen mod.

hey guys, whats the easiest way to mod this game. tryed some of the installers and tutorials but my game got broken and I couldn't even start freespace anymore.

any good tutorial or easy to use graphic mods?

Rekubot

Managed to get this working on an Xbox 360 controller after some tinkering. Plays great. Can't imagine how awesome this would be to play with a proper joystick setup.

I've played the Freespace Port mod for a couple of hours now and am having loads of fun. Only recently discovered that I was playing with the awesome graphics mods off. Turned those on and... wow. Those explosions make killing ships all the more satisfying.

I found a script online that gives it Freelancer mouse controls. It's not as good as a flightstick, but freelancer managed to feel good with a mouse, even if it was considerably less complex than Freespace and space sims.

OTIX

Can anyone recommend a good flight stick that would work on Win7? I have no idea where my old flight stick and there seems to be a decent # of ones available on Amazon.

Anyone?

With new MechWarrior on the horizon it seems like a good time.

I'm using a Saitek ST290 - but my aim is terrible. Am I missing something? EVeryone tells me the stick is the way to fly - but I'll be honest, I can't hit a thing with it. Does it just take some getting used to? SHould I invest in another stick?

cbox

That one mission in freespace 1 where you fly the enemy ship doing scans still remains as my most INTENSE gaming experience.

Downloading FS2 now, thanks OP!

mandiller

Is there a way to make this game work with a 360 controller or a mouse, or is it just too unwieldy? I don't have a joystick anymore.

Complistic

Is there a way to make this game work with a 360 controller or a mouse, or is it just too unwieldy? I don't have a joystick anymore.

It works fine with a keyboard and mouse. Obviously not as good as a joystick but I'm not having any problems at all.

cbox

I think it works out of the box, I vaguely remember trying it a while ago with my 360 controller. You just map the controls to certain axes...

It took me like 3 or 4 try-to-get-into it sessions, but WOW I am in now. 7 or so missions in and this game is phenomenal and it looks really great with all the graphical mods installed. Mouse aiming is working fine.

My only gripe is that something is off with my graphical settings making movement kind of glitchy, need to tweak it some.

It's really hooked me now though, impressive game!

Ashitaka

Holy shit does this look good with the mods. The first time I fired it up I had accidently not enabled the graphics mod and thought it looked pretty good (it's been a LONG time since I played this originally), but with the mods on it's a whole new world. Still working on configuring the X52 with everything and I've only got through the tutorial but now I can't wait to get some more time with it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Holy shit does this look good with the mods. The first time I fired it up I had accidently not enabled the graphics mod and thought it looked pretty good (it's been a LONG time since I played this originally), but with the mods on it's a whole new world. Still working on configuring the X52 with everything and I've only got through the tutorial but now I can't wait to get some more time with it.

Run the steps with me. I got this one installer that does things automated but my game doesn't necessarily look good. PM if needed.

Buggy Loop

My mind is blown, i realized today i had this in my GOG folder, last time i played this was ages ago. Whats is even more cool is that it support TrackIR. WOW. HD + TrackIR + HOTAS will be a totally new experience from my previous one.

My mind is blown, i realized today i had this in my GOG folder, last time i played this was ages ago. Whats is even more cool is that it support TrackIR. WOW. HD + TrackIR + HOTAS will be a totally new experience from my previous one.

I got really excited when I saw this thread then realized it was a year old bump :(

Top Bottom