• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

French far right candidate Le Pen woos Putin in quest for campaign funding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Le Pen woos Putin in quest for campaign funding | World | The Times & The Sunday Times

Marine Le Pen pledged to recognise Russia’s annexation of Crimea if she became French president as she courted President Putin and portrayed her centre-right rival in this year’s election as too right wing.

Such a move would signal a sea-change in Europe’s relations with Russia and put Paris on collision course with London and Berlin, which both condemn the annexation.

The National Front leader, who hopes that Russian banks will fund her election campaign, went on to woo Mr Putin by backing Russia’s intervention in Syria and expressing support for President Assad of Syria.

Ms Le Pen was speaking as she set out an election strategy based on “leftist” economics, an anti-immigration stance, Euroscepticism and a shift in foreign policy towards Moscow.

...(registration wall)

Bolded goes to show how interchangeable policies can be at the fringe of the pol. spectrum.
More details on Crimea part of the interview: Marine Le Pen insists Russian annexation of Crimea is totally legitimate | The Independent

(...)

Asked for her views on the diplomatic crisis, Ms Le Pen said: “I absolutely disagree that it was an illegal annexation: a referendum was held and residents of Crimea chose to rejoin Russia.”

Mr Putin’s forces swept into the Ukrainian Black Sea peninsula of Crimea in February 2014.

The Kremlin organised a referendum a month later which saw more than 95 per cent of voters in Crimea back joining Russia.

The British Government branded the referendum “farcical” and “illegitimate”.

Russia was subsequently hit with sanctions and fierce criticism by the EU and UN as well as national governments including the UK and France.

However, the far-right candidate, who has promised to work more closely with Mr Putin if she wins the presidency on April 17, said she saw no reason to dispute the result of the referendum.

“I see no grounds whatsoever to question this referendum,” she said.

Asked if she viewed Crimea as a part of Russia, Ms Le Pen replied, “Yes.”

(...)

On her party's financial issues (prior to the aforementioned interview): French far right short on funds. Can Russia help, again? - The Washington Post

Money, and how to get it, has dogged French far-right presidential contender Marine Le Pen for years.

Now, as her National Front party’s treasurer says it’s looking “everywhere” for the 20 million euros ($21 million) needed to fund upcoming campaigns, she may be looking to Russia for cash — again.

While foreign donations to French political parties are barred, loans are not. But it’s still a daring prospect for a party whose finances have already drawn unwanted scrutiny.

(...)

Le Pen’s firm rejection of foreign influence would make fishing for finances outside French waters a no-go, were it not for her Russia-friendly stance and what party officials say is the refusal of French banks to lend money to the anti-immigration National Front.

Funds are needed to finance campaigning for the April-May presidential vote and June parliamentary elections. Party officials deny recent reports that they have already received a new loan from a Russian establishment — but no one is denying that the party may be asking for one.

(...)

“We are looking everywhere. We are working discreetly,” party treasurer Wallerand de Saint Just told The Associated Press. The National Front needs 20 million euros for its electoral campaigns, and already has a portion of it, he said in a telephone interview, without specifying the amount in hand. They’re not ruling out funding requests from sources including Russia, the United Arab Emirates, or even the United States, he said.

The party borrowed 9 million euros in 2014 from the small First Czech Russian Bank, but the bank’s license was revoked this year, Saint Just said. Other Russian banks might consider a new loan.

(...)​

The move seems a bit desperate, just as The Times implied.
Feels like she may be falling out of Putin's favor. Center right Fillon has much better prospects and his stance on Russia is almost the same as Le Pen's. On the downside, Fillon probably won't recognize the Crimea annexation anytime soon and is also not a EU skeptic.
Decisions, decisions...

mo60

Her main opponent Fillion may be trying to change his rhetoric on some issues to appeal to the left now. Le Pen is currently down 30 points in the polls. Also le pen trying to woo putin won't really help her much. She has her own problems to deal with like the infighting with her niece which occurs from time to time.

Mimosa97

Her main opponent Fillion may be trying to change his rhetoric on some issues to appeal to the left now. Le Pen is currently down 30 points in the polls. Also le pen trying to woo putin won't really help her much. She has her own problems to deal with like the infighting with her daughter which occurs from time to time.

Her niece.

el jacko

Is this a European thing, because Europe is oil and gas poor?

I mean, Russia has money, but it's all from fossil fuels, whose prices have dropped precipitously these past few years, taking the Russian economy with them.

The Russian economy is big, but I don't think it's bigger than France's, which is also much more diversified, and Russia has nothing on the wider EU, for that matter. Maybe it is the bears and photoshop!

Ac30

Her main opponent Fillion may be trying to change his rhetoric on some issues to appeal to the left now. Le Pen is currently down 30 points in the polls. Also le pen trying to woo putin won't really help her much. She has her own problems to deal with like the infighting with her niece which occurs from time to time.

Is she down 30 points right now? Can I get a link to this?

You'd hope that nationalists would at least be too prideful to suck up to foreign national interests.

That's because these nationalists aren't actually about their nations. They are just about promoting fascism.

They suck up to Putin because they want Putin to help them create dictatorships.

I mean, Russia has money, but it's all from fossil fuels, whose prices have dropped precipitously these past few years, taking the Russian economy with them.

The Russian economy is big, but I don't think it's bigger than France's, which is also much more diversified, and Russia has nothing on the wider EU, for that matter. Maybe it is the bears and photoshop!

It's Putin and his cronies giving money to La Pen and her cronies. That has nothing to do with the size of economies of France or Russia.

That's because these nationalists aren't actually about their nations. They are just about promoting fascism.

They suck up to Putin because they want Putin to help them create dictatorships.

I suspected so, but if I tilt my head and try to look at it as stupid comic irony maybe it's less depressing, lol.

Ac30

Apparently the Russians are suing her for the money she got in 2014, can't find any official news except this guy:

https://twitter.com/a_shekh0vts0v/status/816301367832756224

Apparently sourced from another Russian publication linked in this one, or something. I can't read Russian, gotta Google Translate lol so someone correct me if I'm wrong pls
http://kommersant.ru/doc/3182080

If I'm reading this right it seems the bank that made the loan has lost its banking license due to it being unable to repay debts and it's the banks creditors that are suing Le Pen. Has nothing to do with the Putz

benjipwns

Banned
She's always been down that much to anyone who wasn't Hollande or Sarkozy. And even the latter would be up like 10-15 points most of the time.

Alx

More like a FN thing because they're the black sheep in French politics (understandably so, IMO). You can't get private funds for campaigns over here, so candidates have to get money either from their party or from banks. And no European bank is willing to lend Le Pen some money, apparently.

AHA-Lambda

But like, don't world leaders care about, I dunnow, maybe making slightly less money while also saving lives and improving the world on the whole?

I hate growing up and finding out people can be so awful.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom