• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Le Pen meeting with Putin

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're not very subtle are they?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/03/24/europe/putin-le-pen-kremlin/index.html

(CNN) Russian President Vladimir Putin stressed the "great importance" of ties between his country and France as he met French far-right presidential candidate Marine Le Pen at the Kremlin on Friday, Russian state-run news agency Tass reported.

Putin's spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, told reporters that Russia was not seeking to influence the upcoming French election but had the right to communicate with French politicians.

Russia had no intention of "interfering in anyone's internal business or electoral processes," Peskov said

https://twitter.com/asluhn/status/845260656773386240

"It's now the world of Putin, the world of Donald Trump," Le Pen says after meeting with Russian president

Not very subtle at all

Lets see:

> Donald Trump surrogates and transition team members meet with Russians
> Le Pen is seen in Trump tower shortly after election to meet with Trump
> Le pen starts receiving funding from Russians
> Le Pen meets with Russians

Hmmmmm....what's that smell guys?

Xando

It gets better

C7rmupiXQAE6hgS.jpg

@Alexey__Kovalev

Russian newswire:
BREAKING: KREMLIN SAYS RUSSIAN BANKS WILL SPONSOR LE PEN'S CAMPAIGN

2 mins later:

RETRACTION: KREMLIN SAYS THEY WON'T
https://twitter.com/Alexey__Kovalev/status/845243450421383168

Saya

- She received loans and payments from Russian banks.
- She backs Russia's annexation of Crimea.
- She wants to remove the sanctions on Russia asap.

Trump and her have so much in common.

Dierce

So Russia is just a mafia state run by Putin who sends out his cronies to murder his detractors in the most incriminating fashion yet denies ever doing it. They also support far right candidates yet deny ever supporting them.

So what are they getting at? Why lie about something that is so obvious?

oti

Banned
- She received loans and payments from Russian banks.
- She backs Russia's annexation of Crimea.
- She wants to remove the sanctions on Russia asap.

Trump and her have so much in common.

She's actually smart though. Batshit insane and dangerous, but smart.

Dierce

Because everyone knows and no one is going to do anything about it anyway.

Maybe if there was a different POTUS in the WH.

Putin is betting it all on republicans being in power for decades or that his actions will not have a negative consequence. If he fails at destabilizing the west which is what he is probably after than his actions might lead to a coalition of left leaning governments that completely oppose him.

I can see other countries doing to Russia what they have been doing to us. Maybe establishing a 'wikileaks' that focuses on revealing Putin's ties to organized crime and Russian corruption.

Is there a reason why the following argument doesn't seem to be a campaign killer in France especially after Brexit and the US election?

Putin is a dictator who kills people
Putin attacked America by interfering in the election.
The person who won the election is now under investigation for possibly colluding with a dictator.
Russia is reportedly trying to interfere in the German and French elections.
Le Pen is apparently very pro Putin and pro Trump.

Ac30

Putin is betting it all on republicans being in power for decades or that his actions will not have a negative consequence. If he fails at destabilizing the west which is what he is probably after than his actions might lead to a coalition of left leaning governments that completely oppose him.

I can see other countries doing to Russia what they have been doing to us. Maybe establishing a 'wikileaks' that focuses on revealing Putin's ties to organized crime and Russian corruption.

Russians wouldn't care though, few of them are under any illusions that they live in a free society. They're powerless.

Also LePen has slowly been losing support in the 2nd round, and if Trump continues being a shitty president it's likely to tank further to her 27% base and stay there; it's currently around 37% for the second round.

Ogodei

Folks just aren't being subtle about this at all. Especially since Europe is more aware of Russian chicanery than Americans are.

Burt

Is there a reason why the following argument doesn't seem to be a campaign killer in France especially after Brexit and the US election?

The person who won the election is now under investigation for possibly colluding with a dictator.

This is why Putin is probably falls asleep every night laughing to himself maniacally. None of this shit matters anymore, provably so.

He has with absolute, 100% certainty, found the greatest flaw in democracy, and exploiting it has probably been easier and more effective than he would have ever hoped for. Looking back at the anti-Western leaders of the past must make him straight up cackle at how stupid they look now.

Dr.Acula

Banned

The thing is, if the West simply chooses to isolate and sanction Russia, it just consolidates Putin's grip within his own sphere of influence, which may be enough for him.

Also, Putin seems to be much better than the West at controlling the media and his political opponents, in that he doesn't hesitate to assassinate critics.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
"I have no intention of interfering in elections"

*proceeds to hold photo op with preferred candidate*

frontovik

Banned
Politics has certainly become more farcical as of late, but it's very narrow-minded to criticize the Russian government dealing with political sabotage when other major nation states are doing the same thing.

Politics has certainly become more farcical as of late, but it's very narrow-minded to criticize the Russian government dealing with political sabotage when other major nation states are doing the same thing.

It's literally nowhere near the same thing. At all. Call me when another foreign power illegally hacks political campaign organizations in cooperation with their opposition and deploys millions of computerized agents to influence a top governmental election while routinely assassinating domestic political rivals. Get your head out of the sand

it doesn't take from the fact that they are still doing political sabotage

Mimosa97

A lot of French people don't like the fact that our recent presidents have been blindly following american foreign policy. They hate american imperialism more than they fear Putin.

Chirac is still hailed as a hero because he said no to the war in Iraq even though he was a feckless president.

KDR_11k

Lets see:

> Donald Trump surrogates and transition team members meet with Russians
> Le Pen is seen in Trump tower shortly after election to meet with Trump
> Le pen starts receiving funding from Russians
> Le Pen meets with Russians

Hmmmmm....what's that smell guys?

Wasn't the FN on Putin's payroll before DT even entered politics? Most European right (and left) extremist parties have links to Russia.

Dr.Acula

Banned

That's like saying that it's narrow-minded for one team to get upset when the other team scores a touchdown, or that it's ironic for a company to resist a hostile takeover when it has performed hostile takeovers in the past.

Yes, the US influences politics around the world, but of course it would also simultaneously seek to limit other countries from influencing the American system. Every nation has a right to guard their sovereignty.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's literally nowhere near the same thing. At all. Call me when another foreign power illegally hacks political campaign organizations in cooperation with their opposition and deploys millions of computerized agents to influence a top governmental election while routinely assassinating domestic political rivals. Get your head out of the sand

I'm not gonna sit here and defend Russia, but America And the UK literally overthrew the democratically elected government of Iran and installed a dictatorship.

I always see posts like "Are we the bad guys now?", the answer is no, you've always been the bad guy, and so was Russia. Only now you're not just a bad guy to other countries, you're a bad guy to your own people too.

Pomerlaw

I'm not gonna sit here and defend Russia, but America And the UK literally overthrew the democratically elected government of Iran and installed a dictatorship.

I always see posts like "Are we the bad guys now?", the answer is no, you've always been the bad guy, and so was Russia. Only now you're not just a bad guy to other countries, you're a bad guy to your own people too.

Here we go.

66389502.jpg

tuxfool

Banned
A lot of French people don't like the fact that our recent presidents have been blindly following american foreign policy. They hate american imperialism more than they fear Putin.

Chirac is still hailed as a hero because he said no to the war in Iraq even though he was a feckless president.

But kowtowing to Putin is following american foreign policy?

Wasn't the FN on Putin's payroll before DT even entered politics? Most European right (and left) extremist parties have links to Russia.

I don't know about that as I'm not up to speed on French or European politics, but if that is case then I would ask how Europeans supporting those parties feel about bending the knee to the kremlins.

Alo0oy

Banned
Here we go.

66389502.jpg

How was this post whataboutism? I saw a post that said "The West aren't that bad", but no, they are as bad as Russia to many people, including a lot of people living in the Middle East right now (I am one of them).

Russia, America, ISIS, and Bashar are all involved in wrecking Syria. And the Gulf States are a disgrace because they continue to be supported by "The West".

But go on ahead with your American-centric views if you'd like. That's why white supremacy will always be alive throughout the entire world, the lack of self-reflection will make sure of that.

"It's now the world of Putin, the world of Donald Trump," Le Pen says after meeting with Russian president

I don't know how you can vote for a leader of your country that is essentially saying your country is redundant/irrelevant.

Are her poll numbers still rising?

Current second round support if its Macron vs Le Pen:
Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election%2C_2017_Macron%E2%80%93Le_Pen.png

It's pretty much impossible for Le Pen to win .And before someone says something about Trump or Brexit the percentage difference here is far bigger than it was in those scenarios (Trump and Leave were always within 5% of win).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom