• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

French far right candidate Le Pen woos Putin in quest for campaign funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtofan

Seems like a strage thing to do before an election. It'd make way more sense after.

the center right candidate Fillon is pretty pro-Russia already, maybe Russia feels like there's no need to rock the boat with unpredictable parties.

system11

More like a FN thing because they're the black sheep in French politics (understandably so, IMO). You can't get private funds for campaigns over here, so candidates have to get money either from their party or from banks. And no European bank is willing to lend Le Pen some money, apparently.

It is quite worrying honestly that banks can choose which parties people can vote for, by way of making political decisions not to lend to them.

Alx

Is the FN still the neonazi party or has it changed course since then?

Well neonazi is a bit of a stretch. They're populist, nationalist and quite xenophobic. They do appeal to the neonazi crowd with subtle allusions (like key words or books "hidden" in the background during interviews), but they're not really open about it. Marine Le Pen actually tried to build a more consensual appearance to the FN (even if it's just a coat of paint), compared to her father who liked to shock people with antisemitic tirades (and got kicked out of the party because of that attitude).

system11

Is the FN still the neonazi party or has it changed course since then?

Depends who you ask, if you didn't know who they used to be and they had a warm fuzzy name, looking at them now you'd probably decide they were a centrist eurosceptic party.

I can't process why it is that this shit doesn't just straight out disqualify them to voters. I know she's down in the polls and all, but still, how does more or less directly apparently to someone like Putin not just flip a switch in most people's minds? Do people really not understand what kind of leader Putin is? Or is it just winning at all costs? Times like these I really just feel lost in the modern world. I just do not get it whatsoever.

Peccavi

But like, don't world leaders care about, I dunnow, maybe making slightly less money while also saving lives and improving the world on the whole?

I hate growing up and finding out people can be so awful.
Can't save lives/improve the world if you're not in power.

Khaz

It is quite worrying honestly that banks can choose which parties people can vote for, by way of making political decisions not to lend to them.

Parties are financed by the people, who can donate up to a certain sum. If a party can't convince their voters to give them money, that's absolutely not a democratic problem.

Banks lend money, they don't donate. They don't lend to the FN because it has history of not paying its debts. Like any other fascist party, it's crooked to its core and money is terribly managed, aka corruption, misappropriation and the likes. If they were clean on the financial front, they would find banks that would accept to lend them money.

G.O.O.

For context, Le Pen started praising Putin a while ago, before Ukraine and Syria, going as far as calling him an ideological model. And before her, France had a golden age for the communist party, which had good ties with the USSR and sported an anti-immigrant, anti-EU rhetoric that the FN would find quite familiar nowadays.

Also I think it's funny how the FN keeps its mouth shut on how Putin bought peace in Chechnya by giving the country to a radical muslim who allows polygamy and domestic violence.

system11

Parties are financed by the people, who can donate up to a certain sum. If a party can't convince their voters to give them money, that's absolutely not a democratic problem.

Banks lend money, they don't donate. They don't lend to the FN because it has history of not paying its debts. Like any other fascist party, it's crooked to its core and money is terribly managed, aka corruption, misappropriation and the likes. If they were clean on the financial front, they would find banks that would accept to lend them money.

Thanks, I've misunderstood the funding situation then. The story I saw on Yahoo (recycled Reuters) also made no mention of failing to pay debts either, just banks saying no. Seems like a rather large omission.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
They want France to leave the EU.

Centrist my ass.
They change their stance on that and whether or not to leave NATO twice a week pretty much.

Also, Marine Le Pen can't control the more "extremists" members of her party like her niece. When she loses the presidential election (hopefully) there's a good chance those hardline members of the party while take control of it fast.

Pomerlaw

Fillion is losing point to the center-ish guy (don't remember his name right now).

Marine is just another Putin puppet it seems.

1101071231_400.jpg

- Next year's cover. (Should have been last year's cover too.)

Exile20

Why the fuck are people so eager to suck up to Putin?

He runs an absolute shitshow of a government.

Like, I don't get it.

He has been president from 1999 - 2017 and no change in sight. He is probably the riches person in the world. Which politician wouldn't want that?

saturnine

The Front National being morally bankrupt and kneeling before foreign interests in contradiction to their nationalist message? Say it ain't so!

That aside...

Bolded goes to show how interchangeable policies can be at the fringe of the pol. spectrum.

This is just bullshit. There's a huge difference between pretending to have leftist policies and actually intending to put them into effect. Unless you somehow think that Trump was actually and truthfully on the left of HC when it comes to workers protection and similar topics?

mo60

He has been president from 1999 - 2017 and no change in sight. He is probably the riches person in the world. Which politician wouldn't want that?

Technically he has only been president from really late 1999-2008 and from 2012-present day. Technically dimitri was president from 2008-2012 but he decided to not run again for the presidency after his first term.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
These right wing dummies have become entrapped by Russian propaganda of all things. They're traitors and the record of history will wake up to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom