• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON: God abandons PS4 as The Great Flood wipes out Sony HQ [Up: Reveal in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krakn3Dfx

Huh? PS3 uses GDDR3 for example. Also, we know that a PS4 got approved by the FCC, but we don't know what exactly that PS4 was, do we? Does the FCC report available to the public include size, speed and type of RAM?

Huh, you're right.

Nevermind, forget I said anything.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You are getting paranoid. If the news were that bad they would have not waited for a day.

Kotaku has always told us that they wait some hours for a response from the company or person which the article addresses. This time they asked for comment and got a message back from Sony to hold their articles so they could declare on their article. But I am now not paranoid so anyway

Sony would not publish a statement on any spec downgrade. That doesn't really make sense. It doesn't even necessarily need to be made public. They didn't issue a statement when the Rsx was down clocked.

Exactly, if anything, they probably are simply explaining their specs better, maybe we'll get some new details on the architecture of the console. Maybe the drama itself is that they are comparing their RAM with another console's RAM. Who knows?

evilalien

They've already submitted and been approved by the FCC, neither of these things will happen.

Also, there is no GDDR3.

Of course there is GDDR3. It's used in the PS3 and 360. That's isn't to say that it could be used in the PS4 though, it is too slow these days.

Midou

#TeamItWon'tBeThatBigOfADeal

I almost feel people make statements like this precisely because they know how Gaf will react.

I can see two possibilities:

a) GDDR5 to GDDR3
b) 3GBs reseved for the OS

both are "bad news", but not necessarily catastrophic

A is impossible without a major system delay.
B is possible but why not 2GB first, they were originally just using 1. They don't have 3 OS to deal with like that other system.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The info this delayed article is about, supposedly.

Well, yes, but the tweet indicates this would just be the latest bit of info about the PS4 that makes its surface-level strengths less impressive. Which is odd, unless it's just oddly worded/translated and they mean new info on both machines reducing their distinctions.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What this guys track record and why would he of all people have some info out of the blue? Let me guess, this will break on his site or what? This better not be phishing for clicks.

orioto

Good Art™
I remember the jump to 8gigs was made recently and to the surprise of most devs, who basically worked with 4gigs for month.

What if Sony suddenly thought"well, look at what they've done with 4 gigs, isn't it enough after all.. They're not even using those 8 gigs for now!"

Eusis

I wonder if they just analyzed the parts and came to the conclusion that the effective gulf was smaller than people would've liked it to be? So drama, but nothing that's HUGE news or anything.

Well, bad news is typically released on Fridays, especially if it turns out to be something like a delay or other production problems.

It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be.

I remember the jump to 8gigs was made recently and to the surprise of most devs, who basically worked with 4gigs for month.

What if Sony suddenly thought"well, look at what they've done with 4 gigs, isn't it enough after all.. They're not even using those 8 gigs for now!"

They wouldn't do that because the reason it has 8gb is due to Gearbox telling them the console would be dead without it.

ReaperXL7

Its crazy with all of the articles, interviews, spec sheets, and everything else that Cerny, and Sony in general have put out there about the PS4 and its design. Gimping it supposedly just a few months before launch seems like a bad idea to me, but im not a dev so whos. This thread will be a shitfest ti then though thats a sure thing.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I imagine a few people here will be like this tomorrow at Sony's statement:

g7IsB.gif

Mxrz

It's probably going to be nothing. This guy is just fishing for hits. Honestly, if it was something big, it would be splashed on Eurogamer's main website right now and not left up to their Spanish language affiliate to wait for Sony.

This was my first thought, too. But if so then Eurogamer needs to get their shit together. If it turns out to be fluff or nothing, then it makes it look a stupid desperate for clicks hit piece, which hey, Polygon.

A is impossible without a major system delay.
B is possible but why not 2GB first, they were originally just using 1. They don't have 3 OS to deal with like that other system.

a) I don't know, maybe that's the reason for the Sony statement?
b) what if their OS needs more than 2GB to run smoothly?

Sony would not publish a statement on any spec downgrade. That doesn't really make sense. It doesn't even necessarily need to be made public. They didn't issue a statement when the Rsx was down clocked.

Pretty much this. Will be amazing to see this thread grow to over 1000 posts and then the statement will be something pretty much meaningless. Exactly why I love GAF.

wsippel

Banned
Depends on what was downgraded I guess. If they have to change something that was publicaly announced, they probably have to have to make the change public. Would be false advertising otherwise.

Verendus

Banned
I'm thinking about what has happened recently that could lead to mindblowing news. I'm drawing a blank to be honest. Pretty boring state of affairs right now with SCE. I think there will be disappointed people if you're expecting some huge negative thing out of this. I'd take the words of Arnold the Terminator and relax.

KoopaTheCasual

M0ILU1r.png

Both machines will be ok, but what initially seemed to be much better is diluting little by little as more info pops-up.

Darn. From the sound of that translation, it doesn't seem like it will be worse than XB1 news, since it hints at the PS4 still having an edge, but the edge is decreasing. I'm also going to assume it's OS news (2GB for system OS, 6GB to develop on). It's the only thing that Sony hasn't commented on, and they've been incredibly transparent about everything else. A bit of a bummer, but since the GPU always seemed to be the bottleneck, it won't be too much of a restriction for the devs of the PS4.

This reminds me of the Gaf thread from a couple days ago, “Still Scratching Our Heads As To What To Do With [all the PS4 RAM]". Well now you don't have to!... Sorry, a joke in poor taste ):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom