• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON: God abandons PS4 as The Great Flood wipes out Sony HQ [Up: Reveal in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symthic

Banned
If there is a downgrade, I wouldn't be surprised. $400 for that quality hardware is very low. I imagine if they sold at that price, they'd lose more money than they'd gain, and the $400 price point was just to deliberately undercut the Xbox One.

So now they either have to downgrade or raise the price, and less people would care about a downgrade, while significantly more would care about a price increase.

Just a theory here.

Finalizer

jackhammerf5.gif

By the power of grey skull, CBOAT come hither.

Don't think his particular brand of magic works on Sony.

The interesting and potentially scary part is that Sony has statements to make regarding it. What on earth could it be?

or, most likely, this is all nonsense...

if anything it will be a supply issue, and this EG writer is just trying to drum it up for whatever reason.

Kromis1

But the guy ended his tweet with a smiley! Just look at it!!! I don't think it's going to be all that bad.

If it is a production issue and that causes delays, no big deal. It'll be fixed, eventually. As long as it comes out before Christmas...

This is what's wrong with the gaming press side of the industry. If you have news reveal it. Sony can then make all the comments they want. You don't hold off and let them prepare damage control etc. ahead of time.

Gaming Press is far too incestuous with the industry as a whole
This is nothing to do with gaming press. This is how all media works. You get your story and invite the company to comment on it. Every news outlet does this.

Stike

Probably nothing about the specs, those are final and the machine is already (veeery presumably) in production.

The only thing I can think of is a sudden yield issue. Maybe less units available than expected?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Corto

I'm pretty sure that guy (the twitter EG Spain sub-director) posted here. At least someone with the exact same avatar and also spaniard. I think he was banned though on a PC troll thread. Bummer, I would like for him to post some hints here.

Yoday

Considering the consumer PS4 has already gone through FCC filings, I highly doubt this is anything related to a downclock or RAM configuration change. Plus if that were happening we would likely already know about it through rumors. I could see it being a higher allocation to OS, which would create developer drama because they have been working with a specific amount in mind.

Whatever it is, it is probably nothing big, or they would have just posted about it, and this is just them after clicks.

Frodo

I don't think it should be something too bad... Otherwise they would have said something like "Shocking news involving PS4 RAM" or something of the sorts...

ReaperXL7

Wouldent it be really late to be downgrading, or upgrading now? With all.the work thats gone into development builds it seems like they would just be fucking with developers at this point......am I just going to build a PC Sony?

FZZ

Banned
I think they'll keep the 8GB, but they might go from GDDR5 to GDDR3.

But if they do downgrade I can totally see them going from 8GB to 6GB.

Either way, tomorrow will be very interesting.

They could also be having yield problems. Hmmm...

Croyles

I love seeing people panic, it's like my soul is munching on popcorn.

Supply issues? RAM downgrade?

Could it also be the story about how they ended up using 8gb GDDR5 because developers were booing Cerny at one point?

I don't know. Best to just wait until the info is actually out there before jumping to conclusions (totally like how I just did :p ).

Krakn3Dfx

Just remember Sony just send the customer version to FCC. It could be they wont be able to have has many units as they wanted.

That'd be weird since they have been telling Amazon and other retailers to turn on the launch day pre-orders again for bundles.

Relativ9

PS4 already paced FCC testing didn't it? It can't be a hardware change. Possibly the OS taking up more RAM then initially thought or some details on how Sony came to the 8GB GDDR5 number in the first place perhaps.

paskowitz

Unless there has been an issue in the supply chain I do not see how they could make a "major decision" like people are saying.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
M0ILU1r.png

Both machines will be ok, but what initially seemed to be much better is diluting little by little as more info pops-up.

I've said all along that Xbox One was better then most of GAF said it was. We will see.

Krakn3Dfx

I think they'll keep the 8GB, but they might go from GDDR5 to GDDR3.

But if they do downgrade I can totally see them going from 8GB to 6GB.

Either way, tomorrow will be very interesting.

They've already submitted and been approved by the FCC, neither of these things will happen.

Also, there is no GDDR3.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
M0ILU1r.png

Both machines will be ok, but what initially seemed to be much better is diluting little by little as more info pops-up.

What other new info has diluted the PS4's stats? There's been some Xbox One developments that diminished their disadvantages, but I'm not sure about anything else.

salromano

M0ILU1r.png

This sounds like a reference to Microsoft removing all their restrictive features over time, the most recent being yesterday's indie publishing.

As far as the RAM goes, I wouldn't think Sony would downgrade it. They talk about it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom