• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Food Company Amy's Kitchen Is Growing Into a Fast-Food Chain

entremet

As fast-food titans like McDonald's attempt to lure diners with increasingly gigantic burgers, one soon-to-be chain is putting its money on a more plant-based approach. Northern California-based Amy's Drive Thru, hailed as ”America's first meat-free fast food restaurant," is preparing to spread its organic, vegetarian menu across the U.S., Fast Company reports.

Many will recognize the Amy's brand from the frozen food aisle, where it sells pizzas, burritos, and other organic, frequently-meatless entrees under the Amy's Kitchen name. The thirty-year-old company currently has just one restaurant, which opened in Rohnert Park, California in 2015, but business has apparently been so good it's already planning big-time expansion. Six more stores are headed to Northern California in the next few years, with an eventual goal of becoming a nationwide chain.

The menu includes items that Amy's Kitchen fans are familiar with, including burritos, pizza, mac and cheese, and veggie burgers with optional gluten-free buns; there are also fast-food staples like chili-cheese fries and milkshakes (including dairy-free versions), plus healthier options including quinoa salad and hummus. Many ingredients are sourced locally, the drive-thru windows are solar-powered, and the food packaging is recyclable.

Does anyone like Amy's stuff? Every time I've tried it it's been bland and flavorless. Their Mac and Cheese is their only saving grace IMO. I'm a proud food snob, though.

https://www.eater.com/2017/9/6/16260496/amys-kitchen-drive-thru-expansion-vegetarian-fast-food

Faiz

Their pesto tortellini is absolutely amazing for a frozen meal. Just needs a dash of added salt. Haven't tried much of their other stuff, as it seems a bit too 'vegetarian' to me.

Does anyone like Amy's stuff? Every time I've tried it it's been bland and flavorless.
I'm shocked by both your question and response. I love their products and am ecstatic about this news! Though I am also their primary target audience, as someone who doesn't eat anything that has a mother or eyes (exception: potatoes).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Their pesto tortellini is absolutely amazing for a frozen meal. Just needs a dash of added salt. Haven't tried much of their other stuff, as it seems a bit too 'vegetarian' to me.

That and the "Mexican Casserole" are the only ones I like.
Rest is the pretty basic.

maxcriden

As a fellow food snob, their pizzas and especially tamales are very good for frozen food. As far as getting frozen food that's a close approximation of real food I've been pretty impressed with them.

Instro

My fiance will be happy about this if they make it to SoCal. She is vegetarian so Amy's frozen stuff is one her go to meals for lunches. It would be nice for her to have a fast food place with lots of options.

My wife loves this stuff. Good for them.

Mine too, she wants to make a special trip out to the restaurant now :( She mostly eats vegetarian while I love my meat.

I find the food just kinda meh, and the portion sizes are way too small for a guy like me plus I always wince when I see the prices in the store.

It'll be interesting to see how this does in a restaurant format. I wonder what the male/female dining ratios will be like at it.

My fiance is a lifelong vegan and loves Amy's as a business model and a presence in the industry but really dislikes all of their stuff. I don't like them very much either. As others have said, I find them extremely bland.

With one exception: their Veggie Loaf.

This thing is terrific. I wish we liked all their food as much as this singular product.

I get weak and look at Amy's Drive Thru food pics/reviews when I'm pining for some fast food. I'm on the other coast. I just want some all vegetarian fast food.

I'm not hopeful that this will reach me anytime soon, if ever, but the expansion news makes me happy regardless.

And their frozen grocery stuff? Roasted vegetable pizza, chili mac & cheese, breakfast scramble wrap.

Top Bottom