• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s Exec: “We’re Keeping Our Eye” on Meatless Burgers

https://futurism.com/mcdonalds-exec-meatless-burgers

McProtein
The iconic hamburger chain McDonald’s could start serving up high-tech meatless burgers alongside its Big Macs and Chicken McNuggets.
That’s according to Lucy Brady, the fast food giant’s senior vice president of corporate strategy, during Fortune‘s Most Powerful Women Next Gen Summit in California this week. In reference to high-tech meatless patties like the Impossible Burger, Brady said that “plant-based protein is something we’re keeping our eye on.”

Impossible Burger
It’s not clear whether the burger chain would spring for an off-the-shelf vegetarian burger, like those made by Impossible Foods, or develop its own in-house. With the fast food market’s race-to-the-bottom pricing, a home brew option would probably be attractive: an Impossible Burger patty typically retails for about three dollars.
If it did add a meatless burger to the menu, McDonald’s wouldn’t be the first fast food chain to experiment with vegetarian cuisine. Burger King has offered a MorningStar Farms veggie burger for years, and White Castle debuted an Impossible-branded slider this year that Eater hailed as “one of America’s best fast-food burgers.”

Fake Meat
Important to note: though the terminology is still evolving, meat substitutes like those made by Impossible and MorningStar are still “fake meat” — typically based on hearty proteins like soy, gluten, or pea — rather than lab-grown.
The latter, which is grown from cells harvested from a real animal, could be the real game-changer from a consumer point of view — and some producers have teased releasing it for sale by 2019. But don’t expect to see it on a fast food menu soon: though the cost per ounce has fallen precipitously since the first lab-grown meats were developed several years ago, their price point is still substantially higher than conventionally-farmed meat.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
When they started doing those deals a few years ago, their quality plummeted. I used to be able to remotely enjoy a McDonald's meal. No more. 2 for $5 is just too good, huh.

honest question why would you aß a vegetarian even go to McDonalds?

Its like ging to a salad Bar and wanting to eat meat.
Like everyone else sometimes I'm in the mood, or it's just convenient to get some fastfood, when you're with friends for example.

McDonald's has been trying to add healthy options like salads and fruit to their menu. McDonald's is not a company that exclusively sells meat anymore.

lil puff

McDs selling meatless burgers could possibly turn a lot of folks onto the idea of going veggie. Other chains will follow, and it could become normalized.

Often, a good black bean burger is quite tasty and fulfilling in a way that beef isn't.

This would be genius if they follow thru with it.

lil puff

veggie burgers always taste good until halfway through, then the mealyness gets to you...
The texture has to be right. I agree about the "halfway thru" your tastebuds are like wtf?

It's like falafel is goof in small chunks, but a falafel burger does not work quite as well. The flavor and texture needs to be just right, and have enough flavor to not get boring to eat.

Last edited:
I am meat-eating as fuck, and yesterday I went to a local 'gourmet' hot dog place, and got a big ass sausage, but they also had "Impossible Burger" sliders, so I tried one.

You know what, it wasn't half bad. It was missing something, I think in the aftertaste maybe, but I'd give it a solid 7/10.

lil puff

I think sometimes, it's a lack of salt inside. And there is something more 'chewy' inside of beef that is hard to replicate. It can't be just this soft smear of veggies, it has to be tangible.

GamesAreFun

Banned
honest question why would you aß a vegetarian even go to McDonalds?

Its like ging to a salad Bar and wanting to eat meat.

The menu at most restaurants is meat-centric, why is McDonalds any different? Their veggie burgers are pretty good.

eot

Banned
The menu at most restaurants is meat-centric, why is McDonalds any different? Their veggie burgers are pretty good.
I disagree with them being good, but you're right. Any place, fast food places included, tend to be meat focused.

lil puff

I disagree with them being good, but you're right. Any place, fast food places included, tend to be meat focused.
WE GOT THE MEATS!

A while back there was a funny news story about some fast food place that closed and the sign outside said

"closed - we ran out of meet"

Szym

Neo Member
I kinda feel like it's asking for marketing problems to skip the Improbable and Implausible burgers and going straight to Impossible.

I thought their burgers were already meatless HAR HAR

giphy.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So if you have a carb-free, meat-free burger, you basically get a salad?

Top Bottom