• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Munchies: Momofuku Cooks Impossible Foods' Meat-Free Burger that Bleeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I had one of these on Saturday. I flew into JFK that morning to attend a friend's wedding and eating this was on my hit list (it helped that Nishi is walking distance from The High Line which was also on my hit list)

I arrived about 10 minutes before noon (posted open time for brunch). There was a line of 5-6 people in front of me. Many more arrived before they opened the doors 10 or so minutes after noon. I was alone so I sat at the bar.

I'd eat it in a blink. That kimchi sauce lookss good too.
It did not have that at Nishi unfortunately :( this was one of my big letdowns!

It was served with Special sauce (aka Big Mac style sauce) 2 overly large tomato slices, too much iceberg lettuce, a pretty good pickle, and American cheese was optional for 1$ extra (I got cheese). Default bun was potato roll. Vegan bun was 1$ option. Fries are included.

The Nishi patty was much thinner than the one in the video in the OP, I assume this is because it is expensive "meat" and you can sell twice as many for the same cost as thick patties. As a result of this there is no pink or bleed at Nishi. They did not ask how you wanted it cooked, which was on the low end of well done.

The impossible burger patty itself was yummy. A good slightly salty crust gave it a good crunch and the coconut oil distributed throughout gave it that moist oily texture that veggie burgers lack. The mass of cold toppings and the cold fucking roll made the patty get too cold too quick, but the temperature didn't negatively affect the party's flavor. Seriously who serves a hamburger on a cold roll/bun? If you are not going to steam it, toast it, or grill it, at least have the decency to let it warm to room temperature.

The burger and fries came out fast after I ordered, so did all the other first round burgers I saw go out before I even placed my order. I assume they actually began cooking these before the doors opened at noon because they know what people are lining up for. Not sure how long they last but the Nishi website indicates supplies are limited and they are first come first serve.

So to recap:
Good flavor, good texture, unexpectedly juicy BUT the Nishi presentation of the was flawed IMO. I don't mean plating or visuals (which were nothing to write home about) I mean the actual conceptualization and assemblage of the burger.
The big ass tomatoes and iceberg lettuce were a distraction from what I was there to experience, the "meat". The cold ass bun was a huge let down and detracted from my enjoyment severely. Lastly the thin patty restricted how the work with it, it essentially had to be well done to get a desirable crust. I think it would have been much more enjoyable in the format in OPs video, it's not really a bait and switch, Chang said himself Nishi would have thin patties. But I think a warm bun, mayo, a simple dill relish or kimchi, a thicker patty served medium would have been a lot more satisfying, and a lot more enlightening about this a a hamburger substitute.

If you told me emperor Obama had outlawed meat yesterday, knowing this is out there would take away the sting a bit. It's not going to replace a steak, but it sure seems like it could be a flexible ground beef replacement in certain situations.

Dear god, I wrote far too much about this, lol!

Also, the fennel soda was meh.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't yeast use combustion just like any other food? So the yeast would release carbon into the air too?
Sure, but I assume it is much easier to capture and sequester yeast off gassing from a vat than it is from multiple millions of cows asses.

If they release CO2 that could be captured to carbonate beverages etc. if it is more like methane that they release that could be used as a fuel. Don't know enough about the yeast, their biology, or the process they use to produce heme.

Had this burger as well, also at Nishi, and was really surprised by how good it was. If you go in expecting some big, hunking, greasy juicy burger you're going to be disappointed. But if you go in just wanting a solid burger you'll enjoy it.

I was sure that I'd try the Beyond Burger before the Impossible Burger, but Beyond Meat just hasn't gotten it close enough to NJ yet, besides surprise soft launching their bleeding veggie burger before Impossible.

I'm not a big fan of Beyond Meat products. Their fake meats are always tough and starchy, possibly because they use pea protein as their primary ingredient, so I don't have high hopes for their burger. But I'll definitely give the Impossible Burger a try.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I like vegetarian food when it embraces its vegetarian nature and doesn't try to be ersatz meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom