• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Meal presents the 40 best burgers in US and top 10 chain burgers in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Also, as a native Atlantan, the Varsity's burger is disgusting. The only thing it's good for is a quick #2 in about 45 minutes.

Talon

If you must go to The Varsity as a touristy thing, just get 2 slaw dogs and a Frozen Orange and call it a day.

Bread

Banned
the most underrated burger is the cheeseburger sub, why aren't there any gourmet cheeseburger subs? they house the ingredients much better than a floppy burger bun does.

Talon

the most underrated burger is the cheeseburger sub, why aren't there any gourmet cheeseburger subs? they house the ingredients much better than a floppy burger bun does.
Behold the pretzel bun.

This is my favorite burger in Chicago at Old Town Social. It's a large bar in a brochaski area of the city, but the owner and chef is obsessive over his meat. Probably the only real bar in the city with good charcuterie, which he of course makes himself. Cures all their pork for bacon. That's the kind of man you trust with a medium rare burger.
421.rb.ft.burgers.highend.oldTownSocialxSS.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Behold the pretzel bun.

To be fair, pretzel buns can get pretty floppy as well if they're not thick enough. The two times I had it when I've visited The Counter fell apart pretty quickly due to the bottom bun being too thin.

Talon

To be fair, pretzel buns can get pretty floppy as well if they're not thick enough. The two times I had it the times I've visited The Counter fell apart pretty quickly due to the bottom bun being too thin.
They get floppy from the juice, but they never shred like the white buns.

Also, had a pumpernickle bun at Blimpy Burger in Ann Arbor. Interesting. It works in a strange way.

Talon

Yeah, it's not the best burger ever, but it gets the job done and it's cheap as hell. Their shakes are good too.
Let's be honest, cdy. It's impossible to make 1600+ calorie drinks made of ice cream not delicious.

Let me say again: made of "ice cream," not this "ice treat" nonsense that McDonalds sells.

cdyhybrid

If you have to be drunk to enjoy it, it's not Top 40 material.

Don't have to be drunk to enjoy it. It's just a lot better when you're drunk. They're open until 2AM.

Let's be honest, cdy. It's impossible to make 1600+ calorie drinks made of ice cream not delicious.

Let me say again: made of "ice cream," not this "ice treat" nonsense that McDonalds sells.

That's true, but delicious is delicious!

ERC198X

Banned
WTF is this shit In n out @ #2

their burgers shit all over the competition it's not even funny

In n out IS THE BEST fast food chain no ifs ands or buts

DEAL WITH IT!

OP, be careful. I've seen people get a ban for copy/pasting whole articles. Don't want to see you get Medusa'd. :(

But yes. Shake Shack would be my #1 chain pick, too. I don't know why, but their burgers are amazing.

leroidys

So Dick's cheesburger is in the top 20 of ALL BURGERS IN THE NATION, but they are not in the top 20 burger chains in the country?

Wat?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Five Guys being on a top 10 list of anything is a joke.

Ate there once, and it had to be the greasiest and one of the most disgusting burgers I ever had, and I've sampled a lot of fast food. Made me feel like shit afterward.

oni_saru

Man most of the pictures in the OP make me not want a burger >.<

Also I'm a single patty type of gal. Double patty disgusts me!!

alazz

Are you crazy? The thing looks amazing.

Yeah they kind of are. I've never been to places that serve them, but it's a simple recipe. Two thin, big patties pressed together with cheese between.

The way the cheese erupts from the burger during the first bite is joyous. Couple it with an egg to receive the best of both gushing yellow liquids. It's incomparable to other burger experiences.

Phanta

Been to Shake Shack only once here in BK and it was really good. The line is way to long though.

Always wanted to go to Luger Burger but never got to.

aparisi2274

Going to NYC in a couple weeks and really looking forward to trying Shake Shack for the first time.

As a NY'er who has lived here for over 30 years, I implore you, DO NOT eat at Shake Shack. That place is the most over rated burger joint in the entire city.

Their "Shack" Burger is a poor, poor excuse for a burger and I still have no idea why people will wait upwards of 45min for it... I just shake my head in bewilderment.

There are SO many other good burgers in the city. For instance, go to the Burger Joint at the Le Parker Meridan hotel on 56th st. It might be a bit pricey, but WOW, what a burger!

Also, JG Melon on 73rd & 3rd makes an amazing burger...

But please, DO NOT eat at Shake Shack.

Soulstar

The lack of Fuddruckers on that list makes me sad.

Also one of these days I will try and In N Out burger. Are there even any on the East Coast?

Davidion

As a NY'er who has lived here for over 30 years, I implore you, DO NOT eat at Shake Shack. That place is the most over rated burger joint in the entire city.

Their "Shack" Burger is a poor, poor excuse for a burger and I still have no idea why people will wait upwards of 45min for it... I just shake my head in bewilderment.

There are SO many other good burgers in the city. For instance, go to the Burger Joint at the Le Parker Meridan hotel on 56th st. It might be a bit pricey, but WOW, what a burger!

Also, JG Melon on 73rd & 3rd makes an amazing burger...

But please, DO NOT eat at Shake Shack.

I have absolutely no clue what in the world you are talking about. Shake Shack makes what is practically an objectively fine burger. The meat is flavorful and juicy, the condiments are fresh, and unless every time I went I just happened to have gotten lucky, they prepared meat to preference near perfectly. Unless you're one of those weirdos that eat their burgers burnt, I seriously can't imagine what one can find so horrible about a shake shack burger.

LordAlu

It's so rare to get a good burger over here in the UK that all of the ones in the OP look pretty amazing. Having said that, Red's True BBQ in Leeds does probably the best burger I've ever had: The Pit Burger.

slider_1_zps838a2b41.jpg

Two quarter pound burgers with sliced brisket, pulled pork, jack cheese, pickle salad, american mustard and dirty sauce. All on a glazed bun with an onion ring on top. So good... *drool*

Living in a city where it is all but impossible to get a quality beef burger (a couple of slider options, but that's it), this thread has given me some serious envy. That said, there are a lot of gimmicky burgers on this list that don't sound, or indeed, look nice at all. And what is up with American Cheese on the number one burger?

Irnbru

Father's office burger is way overrated, I find bogetta louies burger in downtown la to be the much superior burger in town, but the office does have am incredible beer selection

beat

It's so rare to get a good burger over here in the UK that all of the ones in the OP look pretty amazing. Having said that, Red's True BBQ in Leeds does probably the best burger I've ever had: The Pit Burger.

slider_1_zps838a2b41.jpg

Two quarter pound burgers with sliced brisket, pulled pork, jack cheese, pickle salad, american mustard and dirty sauce. All on a glazed bun with an onion ring on top. So good... *drool*
That's quite a meat overload there. This reminds me of a 'Torta Cubana', which usually doesn't have a burger patty in there but maybe should. (Briefly, it's a Mexican sandwich, not Cuban, and it's got four or five different kinds of meats in there because it's all about glorious excess.)

What's the diff between "American mustard" and what you have over in the UK?

element

Surprised that Dick's Drive-In landed on there. It is excellent drunk food, but Red Mill is by far a better burger.

Now I'm hungry.

alazz

Has anyone here tried the Butter Burger from Lexington Candy Shop? The picture and the idea is the most appetizing of the bunch for me. I think need to go there while I'm in New York in August.

Also The Stagecoach on Florin Rd. in Sacramento has some pretty great burgers. Nothing exotic, but they've got some of the best burgers at a full restaurant I've had in Sacramento, if not the best.

Living in a city where it is all but impossible to get a quality beef burger (a couple of slider options, but that's it), this thread has given me some serious envy. That said, there are a lot of gimmicky burgers on this list that don't sound, or indeed, look nice at all. And what is up with American Cheese on the number one burger?
Out of curiosity, you're American? I agree. The Mustang Sally in particular doesn't sound appealing at all.

LordAlu

That's quite a meat overload there. This reminds me of a 'Torta Cubana', which usually doesn't have a burger patty in there but maybe should. (Briefly, it's a Mexican sandwich, not Cuban, and it's got four or five different kinds of meats in there because it's all about glorious excess.)

American mustard is really mild and is coloured using tumeric into a bright yellow. English mustard tends to be darker and is much hotter in taste, with a very paste-like consistency. It also tends to still contain some mustard seeds in there for a kick :)

If you're just talking about "plain" yellow mustard, it's just that it's bright yellow and really mild for a mustard.

That said, it's quite common to have spicy brown, dijon, or honey mustards at burger places. And of course that's not talking about the supermarkets.

I generally have a dozen different mustards in my kitchen at any point. Love a good whole grain, or a horseradish mustard for example. Depends on the food. Sometimes I mix 'em with stuff to get a particular taste, certain peppers or such for instance.

Also anybody putting ketchup on a burger is a goddamn heathen and I CAST THEE OUT

Out of curiosity, you're American? I agree. The Mustang Sally in particular doesn't sound appealing at all.

Nope, English, but currently living in the south of Spain. Mostly pork down here, but there are a couple of tapas bars that have 'mini-burgers' that are beef or veal and I've had a full-sized bulltail burger, which was delicious.

Log4Girlz

I just went to Burger & Beer Bar in South Beach because of the list....yeah, the Mustang Sally burger ain't no joke man. Very hearty but not sloppy, sweet and salty mixture, great cheeses.

For anyone in Miami, I can't recommend Lokal and Oneburger enough though, both very good spots for a unique variety of burgers.

I will take your advice mattiewheels.

Burgers are so good. I want to eat all of these. Preferred with mustard, a little ketchup, grilled onions, bleu cheese. Love mushrooms and jalapenos too though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom