• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Meal presents the 40 best burgers in US and top 10 chain burgers in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exodist

It's so rare to get a good burger over here in the UK that all of the ones in the OP look pretty amazing. Having said that, Red's True BBQ in Leeds does probably the best burger I've ever had: The Pit Burger.

slider_1_zps838a2b41.jpg

Two quarter pound burgers with sliced brisket, pulled pork, jack cheese, pickle salad, american mustard and dirty sauce. All on a glazed bun with an onion ring on top. So good... *drool*

That looks good. I've been there before with some friends when visiting Leeds, but I was kinda short on cash so I didn't get that, but it looks like something I would get if I had a bit more money. I'll have to keep that in mind for next time, but you're right, it's hard to get a good quality burger like that in the UK.

AMUSIX

Inspired by this thread, my wife and I made burgers today.

Local, grass-fed beef, mushrooms and onions sauteed in an aged balsamic reduction and then worked into the meat, buns baked hours ago at a local bakery, thick slice of extra sharp cheddar, pickles, cucumbers, sprouts, lettuce, and a touch of mayo.
T0hbxbm.jpg

Yeah, they were awesome...

Also, I'd say my favorite two chains are Cheeseburger in Paradise and Fuddruckers. I'd take both of those over any of those other chains that I've tried.
I went to CIP once and thought that it was pretty great.

I wanted to go back but by the time I got around to it, it was out of business. =(

Booshka

Red Onion shits on In n Out and Five Guys.
In n Out shits on Five Guys.
Five Guys fucking blows.

I think the quality control problems at Five Guys must be real, because the one that I go to has great burgers and ingredients. In N Out no matter where the location is always good, although sometimes the patty is a bit too salty. The best Five Guys burger I have had was better than the best In N Out burger.

Five Guys is double the price though, so you have to make sure to throw a bunch of toppings on it to make up for the price, otherwise, a Double-Double from In N Out is a better burger.

I have only been to the Five Guys in Carson, CA, but every time I have gone there it was really good.

I also hate Mayo, thousand island or any type of mayo concoction, so if people really love Animal Style burgers at In N Out, then I can understand why they like it more. Animal Style is gross to me though, I get Ketchup/Mustard instead of their sauce and enjoy that mightily.

I think the quality control problems at Five Guys must be real, because the one that I go to has great burgers and ingredients. In N Out no matter where the location is always good, although sometimes the patty is a bit too salty. The best Five Guys burger I have had was better than the best In N Out burger.

Five Guys is double the price though, so you have to make sure to throw a bunch of toppings on it to make up for the price, otherwise, a Double-Double from In N Out is a better burger.

I have only been to the Five Guys in Carson, CA, but every time I have gone there it was really good.

I also hate Mayo, thousand island or any type of mayo concoction, so if people really love Animal Style burgers at In N Out, then I can understand why they like it more. Animal Style is gross to me though, I get Ketchup/Mustard instead of their sauce and enjoy that mightily.

The price for Five Guys in the bay area you're better off going to a local burger joint for fries and or the burger. I tried both in the same day. The Five Guys was really disappointing. No animal style on anything on the In N Out either but it was cheap, fast and easy to down. I'm not even a huge fan of In N Out, I just like that it's open till 1:30 on weekends. The Five Guys had barely anyone in it but what's the point when Red Onion is the same price, down a couple businesses and totally superior. What a joke. That Red Onion (local establishment) seriously has nothing to worry about from that shit ass chain.

Booshka

The price for Five Guys in the bay area you're better off going to a local burger joint for fries and or the burger. I tried both in the same day. The Five Guys was really disappointing. No animal style on anything on the In N Out either but it was cheap, fast and easy to down. I'm not even a huge fan of In N Out, I just like that it's open till 1:30 on weekends. The Five Guys had barely anyone in it but what's the point when Red Onion is the same price, down a couple businesses and totally superior. What a joke. That Red Onion (local establishment) seriously has nothing to worry about from that shit ass chain.

I can understand this, I have the same viewpoint when it comes to Deli sandwiches. Why go to a Chain sub place when I can go to any number of awesome local deli's and get a better sub at the same price or just slightly more expensive.

It really annoys me that people from overseas always tries to work in some American hate in every thread. With that said it is quite obvious these people who bitch about American cheese have never had a good American cheese, there is plenty out there and i can guarantee most of these burger joints will use a quality American cheese not a cheap one you would find at your local grocer. Also, long live premium burgers especially ones fresh off the grill in your backyard!!

EDIT: I do loves me some sharp cheddar though on my burgers but not Swiss cheese.

It really annoys me that people from overseas always tries to work in some American hate in every thread. With that said it is quite obvious these people who bitch about American cheese have never had a good American cheese, there is plenty out there and i can guarantee most of these burger joints will use a quality American cheese not a cheap one you would find at your local grocer. Also, long live premium burgers especially ones fresh off the grill in your backyard!!

They think Kraft is all we have. There are so many great local cheeses, beers, liquor, etc.

Listen up, Peasant-GAF: a burger being cheaper does not somehow make it better than it is.

I don't know what to tell you Californians in love with your own mythology, but I approached both with an open heart, and there is a gulf in quality between In-N-Out and my Five Guys back east. Of course East Coast food is better overall so maybe the location of your Five Guys franchises is making them bad.

I feel like the Marquis de Sade after I eat at Five Guys.

Listen up, Peasant-GAF: a burger being cheaper does not somehow make it better than it is.

I don't know what to tell you Californians in love with your own mythology, but I approached both with an open heart, and there is a gulf in quality between In-N-Out and my Five Guys back east. Of course East Coast food is better overall so maybe the location of your Five Guys franchises is making them bad.

All I know is the East Coast can take that shit fucking back. Replace that establishment with something else.

Are there any In-N-Outs on the east coast?

Nope, keeping it in California, and now in Arizona, Nevada, and Texas allows them to do real quality control of their ingredients. Though they originally said they would never expand outside of Cali and look they are in 3 additional states (maybe even more, I'm not up on my In-N-Out expansion news).

Booshka

Some high level bullshit going on in this post. When you are comparing fast food chain burgers, price is definitely a factor.

As for East Coast having better food overall, that is nearly impossible to judge and pretty stupid to say.

If I want a burger to give me a transcendental experience, then I'll cook it in my backyard or go to a serious burger joint and throw some real money down.

In N Out no matter where the location is always good, although sometimes the patty is a bit too salty.

That's because every In-N-Out's ingredients come from the same place. In-N-Out doesn't reach nearly as far as Five Guys, but that allows the company to send fresh ingredients to each store by truck daily.

Some high level bullshit going on in this post. When you are comparing fast food chain burgers, price is definitely a factor.

As for East Coast having better food overall, that is nearly impossible to judge and pretty stupid to say.

If I want a burger to give me a transcendental experience, then I'll cook it in my backyard or go to a serious burger joint and throw some real money down.
Get on my level. And share a little of that salt, these In-N-Out fries are terribly bland.

Price wise you are seriously better off going to Red Onion, Barney's, Nation's, etc in the Bay Area.

Davidion

All these other good burger places in this list, can we shift the discussion to something else other than the shriveled mess that is five guys? thanks.

My sister is up there going to school, but I don't visit as much as I like, next time I do, I'll ask her to take me to one of these.

If she's in Berkeley go to Barney's, Bongo, or Al's.

If you're willing to trek farther try out Five Guys in Pinole for shits and giggles then head over to the Red Onion and see the difference in quality.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I drooled at some of these pictures. Double Double from In N Out rules, baby! I'm so happy I live like ten minutes away from an In N Out.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Red Onion has amazing burgers. Possibly the best I've had. Yakuza and Killer Burger in Portland are also amazeballs.

That's it, I'm going to Louis’ Lunch next time I visit my family in CT. That place has been showing up all over the place and it's worn me down. With that said, I saw the steamed burger from the other CT place on Burger Land and it looked nasty. The meat was grey and the cheese looked like snot. No thanks.

Recently I went to the The Golden State in L.A. and that was incredible. It's within walking distance from me so I'll be going back. It's worth checking out if you are in the area.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Timedog had a burger with an egg at Red Onion. It was so good. I had fried onions in mine. God damn. So good.

There's a Red Onion in town here that I never got a chance to visit where an old Bud's Burgers used to be. Never did visit it yet, I guess I should try it.

Chris R

Dick's is overrated, and Fatburger is as well. Never been to a Shake Shack though so I can't comment on their burgers. I just enjoy hitting up In n Out whenever I'm on vacation.

Though I think a local place makes the best burgers I've ever had :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Actually the best burger I ever had was when I was in SF for Google I/O this year. Across from Moscone there was this restaurant, can't remember the name (Edit- Buckhorn Grill apparently?) and it had the best-tasting, juiciest burger I've ever had. It almost tasted like a steak.

It was absolute pure heaven in my mouth.
LtNDbKz.png
I got it for lunch then came back and got it for dinner before I had to leave the next day.

There's a Red Onion in town here that I never got a chance to visit where an old Bud's Burgers used to be. Never did visit it yet, I guess I should try it.

If it's anything like the one in Pinole I'd highly recommend it. Although, when restaurants expand I always worry about quality + consistency at the new establishment especially.

One of the few upsides of living where I do is that I have an In N' Out being built within ten minutes of my house.

With a Five guys within walking distance as well.

Mdeezy

Oh man Im going to New York in November for a week and I plan on hitting up several of these places now. Thanks OP. Also there is a new Five Guys restaraunt down the street from my job. Is it worth trying out?

Talon

One of the few upsides of living where I do is that I have an In N' Out being built within ten minutes of my house.

With a Five guys within walking distance as well.
1. Double Double Animal Style from In N Out
2. Cajun Fries from Five Guys

PROFIT

andycapps

I've eaten at 3 of the top 40: Thurman's, The Varsity, and The Vortex. I haven't had what they had the Vortex, went for the Double Coronary Bypass. I really need to have a burger at Holeman and Finch Public House sometime.

Enron

Banned
I've eaten at 3 of the top 40: Thurman's, The Varsity, and The Vortex. I haven't had what they had the Vortex, went for the Double Coronary Bypass. I really need to have a burger at Holeman and Finch Public House sometime.

Dude, you ate the Double Coronary?

D:

The couple of times I've eaten at the L5P Vortex ive seen that monster go by my table on a plate and I feel ill :x

EDIT: I do loves me some sharp cheddar though on my burgers but not Swiss cheese.

"American Cheese" is a specific thing, not just cheese that comes from America. It's processed cheese product and is not at all actually cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom