• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Meal presents the 40 best burgers in US and top 10 chain burgers in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
I go to In-N-Out as much for the service, cleanliness, and consistency as for the food itself. Just a pleasurable experience overall.

Can't wait until they inevitably come to OKC.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I've eaten at Gotts in Napa. It's... okay I guess?

I continue to be baffled by the Shake Shack and Five Guys love. Nothing special IMO.

Yes, Vortex in Atlanta at #18. Go there if you ever decide to come here for whatever weird reason (good place to live, not exactly prime tourist destination although little 5 points is awesome).

"American Cheese" is a specific thing, not just cheese that comes from America. It's processed cheese product and is not at all actually cheese.

You can say that all you want but American cheese is actually a cheese, except for the really cheap crappy stuff. You have obviously never had a real premium quality American cheese.

andycapps

Dude, you ate the Double Coronary?

D:

The couple of times I've eaten at the L5P Vortex ive seen that monster go by my table on a plate and I feel ill :x

Scratch that, just looked at their menu. I had the single Coronary Bypass. That thing was still huge. Buddy got the Double and finished it all. I can't imagine trying to do the triple.

Welp, looks like I'm going to the Vortex tonight!

I4Q4TaD.jpg

Excellent.

You can say that all you want but American cheese is actually a cheese, except for the really cheap crappy stuff. You have obviously never had a real premium quality American cheese.

Well, technically "American Cheese" is processed cheese. Its still cheese though. Not all American Cheese is the same either. There's Velveeta and the like ("Cheese Food" - not just "cheese"), and there's higher-quality stuff like Boar's Head (still processed though).

It has its places, and on burgers is one.

Europeans somehow think this is the only cheese we have in the U.S. We have ridiculous amounts of very good, very high-quality cheese. We just choose to put American on burgers sometimes because it tastes good on them and melts really well. I

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The only place in the top 40 I've had is Matt's Bar. It was pretty god damn good. I'm going to be in California next week, so I'll for sure try to hit In-N-Out and maybe one of the places listed in San Francisco, probably Gott's.

I've eaten at 3 of the top 40: Thurman's, The Varsity, and The Vortex. I haven't had what they had the Vortex, went for the Double Coronary Bypass. I really need to have a burger at Holeman and Finch Public House sometime.

Ive had Thurmans, varsity, Vortex, Matts Bar, and Kumas. My order does Kumas>Thurmans>>Vortex>Matts Bar>>>>>>Varsity.

They get floppy from the juice, but they never shred like the white buns.

Also, had a pumpernickle bun at Blimpy Burger in Ann Arbor. Interesting. It works in a strange way.

Came into this thread looking for Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger. Thought it might be on the list. Soooooooo good.

I haven't had a premium American cheese, but American cheese is legally defined as processed cheese.

Edit: I'll have to try some top-tier American to see what it's like.

I haven't had a premium American cheese, but American cheese is legally defined as processed cheese.

Edit: I'll have to try some top-tier American to see what it's like.

Well, technically "American Cheese" is processed cheese. Its still cheese though. Not all American Cheese is the same either. There's Velveeta and the like ("Cheese Food" - not just "cheese"), and there's higher-quality stuff like Boar's Head (still processed though).

It has its places, and on burgers is one.

Europeans somehow think this is the only cheese we have in the U.S. We have ridiculous amounts of very good, very high-quality cheese. We just choose to put American on burgers sometimes because it tastes good on them and melts really well. I

The point i am trying to make is that it is still cheese. The base and or main ingredient of the process is actual bonafide cheese(s) with other ingredients added in purely to mellow the flavor and to get it to the consistency of your typical American cheese to get that great melting quality it has. Hell, American cheese use to be made with Colby and Cheddar for the base.

And the legal definition was made up by our government the same people that fucking regulate toppings on frozen pizzas sold in stores.

andycapps

Ive had Thurmans, varsity, Vortex, Matts Bar, and Kumas. My order does Kumas>Thurmans>>Vortex>Matts Bar>>>>>>Varsity.

I don't get The Varsity being on the list, honestly. For best hot dogs? Sure. Best onion rings? Yeah. Good shakes too. I have honestly never gotten a burger there. Looks like a Whitecastle or Krystal burger to me.

I don't get The Varsity being on the list, honestly. For best hot dogs? Sure. Best onion rings? Yeah. Good shakes too. I have honestly never gotten a burger there. Looks like a Whitecastle or Krystal burger to me.

Theyre just standard burger, nothing special, I forgot ive had Dicks too in seattle. Its just like the varsity, the burgers are fine, but nothing I would say people have to have like the other places ive been.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I tried going to the place that was #1 on the list this afternoon, Holeman & Finch...but I was just on a visit and had a plane to catch, and I got cut off by just a few people when the doors opened for their brunch. Couldn't do the hour wait, but I figured I'll be back next month. I have a feeling this might be on the list because of the vibe around getting the burger, the line was around the block practically, and this was 30 minutes before it opened.

I have never craved a burger so much.

But come on, where is Carl's Drive In in St. Louis!?

So unbelievably good, two years back I would get the 5 stack after long days of frisbee golfing like multiple times a week. I stick with the quadruple now. It is a small little eat in diner type place notorious for the crankiest workers, but no matter how much I reaked of marijuana/how little I tipped, they still loved me.

derder

Anyone ever been to Chuck's in Raleigh? I feel like it should have got a nod, though I'd rate it below Thurman's.

Is this ia list of every single restaurant they tried and they just ranked them? Or are there more restaurants that didn't make the top 40 cut?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I eat a Double Winstead almost every Wednesday with some co-workers. It's delicious.

y1ymDrv.jpg

With all the great burgers in KC I would not have expected them to pick Winstead's, but I guess it's pretty much impossible to please everyone. I'm just excited to see us mentioned!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
With all the great burgers in KC I would not have expected them to pick Winstead's, but I guess it's pretty much impossible to please everyone. I'm just excited to see us mentioned!

Nice to meet ya! Where in KC do you live? I work in Overland Park, but live in Blue Springs.

Clearly whomever wrote that article has never been to Pearls Deluxe Burgers in san francisco, for if they had, it would be on that list.

itmXm0Q.jpg

Goddamn those burgers look good though.

Nice to meet ya! Where in KC do you live? I work in Overland Park, but live in Blue Springs.

Likewise! I live up north near Worlds of Fun but work down in Grandview. It's really great seeing KCGAF come out of the woodwork, though now I think I need to head back to Winstead's to see what I missed.

Skel1ingt0n

Likewise! I live up north near Worlds of Fun but work down in Grandview. It's really great seeing KCGAF come out of the woodwork, though now I think I need to head back to Winstead's to see what I missed.

Very cool. I travel a lot, so I pass Worlds of Fun at least a couple times a month.

I love me some Winsteads - give it another shot, for sure! :)

Kangi

I'm going to Charleston in a couple weeks so I'm going to try out #11 while I'm there.

I'll report back with my findings to say whether or not this list is accurate.

TDLink

Almost no burgers from Texas on the list. I call bullshit. If there's one thing Texas knows how to do right, it's their beef.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Almost no burgers from Texas on the list. I call bullshit. If there's one thing Texas knows how to do right, it's their beef.
I don't think this list is the greatest burgers you can eat as much as it's really the greatest 'experience' attached to getting the burger.

rpmurphy

Somehow I missed this thread. Have to echo everyone else's shock at The Varsity being on this list. Their burgers basically have the taste of a high school cafeteria burger (either that or my high school cafeteria served some mean burgers!). Perhaps some people have their tastebuds excited with nostalgia with them, but hey, McDonald's single cheeseburgers do the same for me personally, and I wouldn't put that on any list.

No thread has ever made me hungrier than this one. Just flippin through the OPs is literally mouth watering. Shake shack just opened near me, I'll have to go check it out.

Dead

well not really...yet
I recently tried this joint called Sam's Burgers, Fries and Pies here in Houston

Might have to nominate them for one of the best Burgers ive had in town. Sweet Potato Fries are also beyond god like...

Swig_

I wish they would bring Steak N Shake out west, but probably never will happen during my lifetime. It's a shame.

I'd trade In N Out for Steak N Shake any day.

I don't get the 5 Guys hate, either. I love the food there. I just wish it was a little less expensive. I hate spending ten bucks on a burger and fries from a chain.

SeanR1221

Surprised PYT in Philly didn't make the list. Tons of unique burgers (like this Philly pretzel cheesesteak one) and alcoholic milkshakes.

IMG_4803.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom