• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IHOP introduces the Big Pancake Burger, and calls its new line of burgers 'Pancakes'

CyberPanda

Banned
This time last year, IHOP created a ton of buzz on social media by changing its name – temporarily – to IHOb to promote its burgers.

Now, the Glendale, California-based chain has taken to calling the newest editions to its burgers line-up “pancakes.”

The trio of new menu items – black angus beef pancakes – are the Big IHOP Pancake (Burger), which actually includes a traditional pancake between the meat patties; the Garlic Butter Pancake (Steakburger); and the Loaded Philly Pancake (Steakburger).

IHOP, which stand for International House of Pancakes, is calling its new vocabulary do-si-do "a playful twist that again shows that it takes its burgers as seriously as it takes it pancakes."

24212cbb-5fee-445d-8596-c4942b8bca46-Pancake_Burger_Lineup.jpg

Here's what's coming:

1. Big IHOP Pancake: Buttermilk pancake griddled with Cheddar cheese and layered between two steakburger patties, then topped with American cheese, custom-cured hickory-smoked bacon and house-made IHOP sauce
  2. Garlic Butter Pancake (Steakburger): House-made Gilroy garlic butter, custom-cured hickory-smoked bacon, white cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and mayo
  3. Loaded Philly Pancake (Steakburger): Sautéed onions and peppers, melted white cheddar cheese and cheddar cheese sauce
For a limited time, they'll be served with unlimited fries, starting at $6.99.

The June 2018 name game worked because IHOP initially sold four times what they'd done previously and are still selling at double their regular rate, according to IHOP chief marketing officer Brad Haley.

"Those who tweeted something, shall we say, unkind last year may find that they’re on The Bancake List, an aggregated list of Twitter users who tweeted at IHOP to stay in its lane," he said.

To get off the list, they must tweet something positive about IHOP’s pancakes, er, burgers, though IHOP has some prewritten options they can choose from. Some reformed fans will get tokens of appreciation from the company, though Haley didn't say what those are.

The company returned to its IHOP roots the month after the stunt.

IHOP's existing original burger line-up includes the Classic, the Classic with Bacon, the Mega Monster, the Cowboy BBQ, the Big Brunch and the Jalapeño Kick.

Rob Frankel, a Los Angeles-based branding strategy expert, said the success of the IHOb move was so great that having off-shoots of it makes sense for the company.

"It was a statement – 'We're wild and crazy guys, and that’s what makes it so fun and what you remember as a kid,'" he said. "That laid the foundation ... upon which they can now base their subsequent advertising."

Whether this burger switcheroo will be as much of a slam dunk as last year's shtick remains to be seen.

"It will work just fine; I don't think it’ll work as well because the burger thing was such a departure and a statement of identity," Frankel said. "The burger thing was to plant in the consumer's mind, 'We have burgers here, too.' Now, we need to sell the burger. It’s a different kind of an animal."

Vlaphor

Seems...lazy. Take a burger, toss in a pancake, I could've done that there before all of this. I want that wicked shit. Put a burger inside of a pancake. We got the Burnett's Mound here in Topeka

lGwdSz4.jpg

Give us something ridiculous and over the top. Nobody going to IHOP cares about calories or fat, so go wild.

John Day

It qould have more impact if that burger had a pancake with bits of bacon in it. More bacon is crazy and good!

Or made the buns like the mcgriddles. I mean only mcdonalds does it i think, so there’s space in the market!

P.S: Related question. Anybody knows if there are any brands with buns like the McGriddle?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why? A burger is defiled with anything other than meat, bacon and cheese.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
fuck double post

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems...lazy. Take a burger, toss in a pancake, I could've done that there before all of this. I want that wicked shit. Put a burger inside of a pancake. We got the Burnett's Mound here in Topeka

lGwdSz4.jpg

Give us something ridiculous and over the top. Nobody going to IHOP cares about calories or fat, so go wild.
I'm in love.

Uhtred

Why does Ihop insist on getting away form what they are known for? Its not going to work, if sales are struggling, perhaps it because you charge $15.00 per person for sub par breakfast!

Stop trying to make burgers happen. Who the fook ever said lets go to Ihop for burgers! No one!

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

I don't get it ..as far as I remember you've always been able to get burgers and fries and stuff like that at IHOP , why are they so intent on pushing it now? Are not enough people buying them so the beef is rotting or something?

I feel like there’s unexplored market possibilities with waffles. That’s what I’d be going for if I were them

Waffle House is a sacred building of worship in the south. It is known. It is a religious establishment that brings together all people no matter their ethnicity, beliefs, sexuality, into a place to eat peacefully.

How can you dispute such a glorious establishment??

Who needs International House of Pancakes when we got Waffle House.

giphy.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Ihop’s answer isn’t creativity, IHOP’s success was always off of ENDLESS pancakes

lil puff

It seems like IHOP was only a 1990s thing, and now they are trying hard to bring it back. Too hard.

Pancakes make me almost choke to death., unless I pour half a bottle of syrup over them. Pass.

lil puff

If IHOP did delivery. I would be all over them. That is what they should advertise.

I do not want to eat eat their sticky tables anymore
. Feels like being at Big Boy, I don't want a coloring book. Idiot I'm a teen

lil puff

Bobs Big Boy with that Huge statue outside for some reason, got to me. And their childrens Menu was awesome.

It may have been an East Coast thing.

Top Bottom