• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Munchies: Momofuku Cooks Impossible Foods' Meat-Free Burger that Bleeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
impossible-foods-burger-half-1.jpg
Link

Chang also announces that, starting today, the Impossible Foods burger is now available on the menu at Momofuku Nishi in Manhattan. It's a delicious, umami-rich win for meat-lovers and vegetarians alike who want burgers that help, not harm, the environment.

A look into how it's made:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...nt-burger-smells-tastes-and-sizzles-like-meat

Heme is an iron-containing molecule in blood that carries oxygen. It's heme that makes your blood red and makes meat look pink and taste slightly metallic.

It's highly concentrated in red meat, but it can also be found in plants. And that was the trick to giving Brown's meat-free burgers that blood-pink look when raw and meaty taste once cooked.

Brown could have extracted heme from legumes like soybeans, which contain leghemoglobin in nodules on their roots. Except, that would have been expensive and time consuming, and unearthing the plants would release carbon into the atmosphere.

So, he decided to use yeast instead. By taking the soybean gene that encodes the heme protein and transferring it to yeast, the company has been able to produce vast quantities of the bloodlike compound. Each vat of frothy red liquid in the lab holds enough heme to make about 20,000 quarter-pound Impossible Burgers. "We have to be able to produce this on a gigantic scale," says Brown.

Alexlf

Sounds like it might be good. I'll try it the next time I get a chance.

EDIT:
Man, looks like it's nowhere in Canada and won't be any time soon as far as I can tell. Bummer.

Ashodin

Do it. once we make burgers and meat easier to create than killing animals, people will catch on.

Inevitably you'll have those people who will be like that one dude in the matrix tho

"I gotta have my meat man, this steak aint real but my mind says it is"

I saw the announcement for this yesterday, and I definitely want to take the trip over to Momofuku Nishi to try this. Any word if people are liking it?

I was sure that I'd try the Beyond Burger before the Impossible Burger, but Beyond Meat just hasn't gotten it close enough to NJ yet, besides surprise soft launching their bleeding veggie burger before Impossible.

Sounds pretty awesome, will definitely try it out next time I can

I dunno though, watching the whole video I kinda wonder if there is some movie level plot twist: he just skips over the entire "so... how did you get hemoglobin into your meat?" "Oh, you know we ferment some yeast and stuff..."

Its really like some alien poop or something that they found seeping out of a hole in an Aztec ruin, isn't it...

h1nch

I would so try this if I could.

There's a veggie fast food place here called Earth Burger that makes some really tasty burgers. I didn't expect to like them as much as I did.

I want to know what exactly that "Hem" is made of.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...nt-burger-smells-tastes-and-sizzles-like-meat

Heme is an iron-containing molecule in blood that carries oxygen. It's heme that makes your blood red and makes meat look pink and taste slightly metallic.

It's highly concentrated in red meat, but it can also be found in plants. And that was the trick to giving Brown's meat-free burgers that blood-pink look when raw and meaty taste once cooked.

Brown could have extracted heme from legumes like soybeans, which contain leghemoglobin in nodules on their roots. Except, that would have been expensive and time consuming, and unearthing the plants would release carbon into the atmosphere.

So, he decided to use yeast instead. By taking the soybean gene that encodes the heme protein and transferring it to yeast, the company has been able to produce vast quantities of the bloodlike compound. Each vat of frothy red liquid in the lab holds enough heme to make about 20,000 quarter-pound Impossible Burgers. "We have to be able to produce this on a gigantic scale," says Brown.

I'm surprised Silicon Valley-ans can reconcile the fact that this is basically the definition of a GMO food. When I lived in the Bay Area, the anti-GMO movement (read: crazy people) was huge in the entire region from SF to San Jose.

Interesting that heme is responsible for a lot of meaty flavors. I'd love to get some plant based heme to play around with to try my own veggie burgers. Or make fake blood.

Exciting stuff. Been looking forward to this from Impossible Foods for a while. Just a shame I am not in New York to try it. I do not care for bleeding food but if it taste more like meat it is always a good thing.

Famassu

Because soy is good for the environment
Well, it's better if the soy goes directly to a human instead of wasting tons of it by feeding animals. And not all soy production is the environmentally harmful kind. People who eat meat indirectly consume far more soy than people who occasionally cook & eat some soy protein stuff.

Choabac

I feel like this is aimed at the same crowd that hates GMO food though

I think they're aiming it at all people that enjoy meat. If it does taste, smell and look like meat, I think many people would be willing to give it a try.

So the heme itself is mass produced by genetically engineered yeast. Yeast is a common platform for the expression (production) of proteins in biotech. But the other ingredients seem like normal off-the shelf stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom