• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robot-powered burger joint speculated to open soon in San Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am super excited for the possibilities of the oncoming Automation Revolution. I just hope society can keep up by beginning to prepare now so we aren't caught with our pants down.

03QTZhl.jpg

That looks delicious.

Apt101

The bun is burnt, that patty is likely well done, why diced onions and why so think rather than a thin slice, and a tomato slice that large is only suitable for a patty twice that size. I hope that machine is just poorly calibrated.

norm9

The bun is burnt, that patty is likely well done, why diced onions and why so think rather than a thin slice, and a tomato slice that large is only suitable for a patty twice that size. I hope that machine is just poorly calibrated.

Diced onions only work on a burger with chili.

wtf do you people eat on a daily basis to think that looks like a decent burger

look at that thing, the fucking meat looks like a piece of cardboard.

Because we know it's not a fat patty? Of course the meat isn't going to top notch but it's still many leagues above any other fast food restaurant. I can go to the butchers or a speciality meat store and buy better patties but it's weird to say that looks horrible.

What fast food restaurant is better than that? We're speaking large retail chains and not the small franchises or ma and pa stores.

Do you think that is better than a whopper or big mac?

Food service workers can barely afford the rent here, now they can't even get the most menial jobs at a burger joint?

GTFO.

What kind of attitude is this?

I'm sure some people thought the same when all kinds of automation started but luckily everyone ignores those people

The burger flippers can adapt and find other work, or not and suffer? We can't hold everyone's hands. These are adults we are talking about

Do self checkouts bother you too?

well

one time payment (minus repairs)
doesn't go on vacation
works 24/7
doesn't get hurt or sent to the hospital, meaning workers comp isn't an issue
won't sue for discrimination
won't sue for wrongful termination

This variable is the most important one. A high initial outlay will offset savings (in this manner we're talking about not needing to pay wages to a limited number of employees) for a predetermined amount of time.

Could mean the owners are looking to recoup their losses for 4 years or 10. And that's just off the initial outlay alone. Maintenance costs would have to be incorporated as well.

Just looking at how much an owner would save against minimum wage employees is an incredibly incomplete approach, I think.

Reading news like this makes me sad that we'll all die of old age before any of this reaches it's peak.

UNLESS WE FIND THE SECRET TO IMMORTALITY

Kieli

always wondered how california was able to keep fast food workers and cashiers short of paying them US $20/hr or more (which some places actually did).

well, here's our answer. robot, which are much cheaper

automation is going to arrive and it's going to upset a lot of people

I've been talking to my conservative family about this stuff and how were going to have to seriously address the fact that we won't need out even be able to support everyone in the country working, and how to support them.

That does not go over well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom