• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

They're coming for yer jerbs: Miso Robotics releases burger flipping robot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwarm01

The president of MD Anderson Cancer Center actually recently resigned; the article suspects that this failure had played a part in it.

I'm more inclined to believe it was due to the disastrous rollout of their new electronic medical record. It was over schedule and over budget. They blamed it for multiple hundreds of millions in lost revenue and are now having massive layoffs. And to think I nearly applied for a job to help install the thing.

ElFly

You mean to tell me Technology takes time!?

The really shitty part there is that IBM won't continue with it, but that's expected. They're a business and updating the algorithms costs them time/money. The best way of going about it would be giving the data to universities to let them program/update it on their own time while trying to research better ways.
The real shitty part here is Watson

The technology is really underwhelming and useless. At least I Ve tried some demos and experiments with it and it is barely functional

Nabbis

Do the companies that employ automation understand that the current trajectory is not looking good for them either? Who is going to buy all that crap when the bulk of the population is replaced by automation. This is assuming that welfare policies will lag behind technological progress.

goodcow

Do the companies that employ automation understand that the current trajectory is not looking good for them either? Who is going to buy all that crap when the bulk of the population is replaced by automation. This is assuming that welfare policies will lag behind technological progress.

The owners will live in gated communities protected by Blackwater, paid for by the government as the GOP labels citizens as terrorists.

They'll change their business model with the times.

DavidDesu

Weird mechanism for picking up the burgers. That's definitely gonna destroy a few patties.

Seems very basic but I suppose it's a start. Weird video to try and make it seem like the worker should be grateful. Wait until the company brings out the Burger Constructor robot with multiple condiment applicators and salad fingers, lol. Only a matter of time.

I'm looking forward to Management Bot which replaces the relatively pointless manager who's also doing a very rote based job of repetition. Once they have AI that can deal with irate customers without ever getting pissed off, then you have a whole burger joint running autonomously!

EDIT: This robot does make me think of the kind of one-function robots you see in stuff like Star Wars. Designed for one purpose and one purpose only. I wouldn't mind if we end up with Star Wars. R2-D2 at weddings serving drinks please!

ReBurn

Gold Member
If the final product is constructed properly, one should just be able to throw it into some kind of large dishwasher and wipe down the other parts.

It will probably have washable or disposable coverings like doctors, painters, etc. Just change its clothes at the end of the day and spray it with some sanitizer and its back in business.

zethren

Banned
Gooooooooood. Let's get as close to total automation as possible, and have a universal income pls.

Then we can all focus on creative or otherwise personal/academic endeavors, bettering our societies and species.

I wish...

Alexlf

The real tech here isn't the arm, its whatever software solution they have for recognizing the state of the burgers. Knowing more would be neat.

Presumably American posters will argue that you should tip these robots.

dammit, I hope not, not only are these robots gonna get taxed like they're people, we're gonna have to tip em too like they're people. Next we're gonna have to say please and thank you.

fail

c7f55442-6ef5-4583-9831-7e32fb18e762.gif

Foffy

Banned
On the other side of AI, the Wall Street Journal has an article out today describing how IBM's Watson has not been as beneficial as expected in helping doctors tailor individualized treatments for cancer patients. Five years and over 20 million dollars of investment from the University of Texas with very little to show for it. The president of MD Anderson Cancer Center actually recently resigned; the article suspects that this failure had played a part in it. In fact, Watson's cancer algorithm is already outdated and cannot be updated with the newer cancer protocols without human input. And this will not be done, since IBM's contract with MD Anderson for this has expired without renewal.

There was also the little tidbit implied by the news article how there was a potential conflict of interest from MD Anderson in that the wife of said former cancer center president happens to be the physician who spoke to IBM in the first place and securing the contract. The chancellor of UT actually ordered an audit due to all the wasted money.

So much for AI programs taking over doctors' jobs anytime soon. This was its most famous example. At least five years from IBM (using a supercomputer, no less) and one of the most advanced cancer centers in the world and still not a single patient independently treated by it. And this was just aimed at treating lung cancer, not much else.

We're getting more promising results in image diagnostics with systems like Enlitic, at the very least. I haven't followed Watson too deeply, but that hasn't seemed to have made notable progress in the last few years as is. Unless I missed something, of course.

Get a job where Robots can't replace you in the next 30 years.

You do know this is an incredibly empty, dogshit answer to give, right? It doesn't acknowledge the rate of change and disruption at risk, nor does it address the real, lived in experience of precarious living many will absolutely face.

"Get a job that can't get automated" is as meaningful as saying "if you're poor, don't be poor." I'd arguably call it a profoundly Republican response to make, and I mean that as harshly as I can.

Pastry

Banned
No, this robot makes perfect sense.

This means you don't have to redesign and rebuild your whole kitchen to automate it, which reduces the capital cost to start automating. With this, you can just convert bits and pieces at a time.

Suppose this robot automates enough to replace 1 person, at a $15/hr wage, assuming the robot lasts three years before it needs to be replaced, that's $100k.

As long as the robot costs less than that, there's no reason not to buy the robot. I bet that robot costs a lot less than $100k, probably $10k or $15k.

Even if it can't replace a whole person, if by using it you can cut the number of work hours in the kitchen by more than the robot is worth, its still a win to buy the robot.

The benefit for this from a corporate side i think is less about the reduction in payable hours and more about eliminating the bullshit that comes with people. The fast food joint no longer has to worry about late employees, no shows, shitty attitudes, etc.. Obviously maintenance is a concern but that'll be sorted out eventually.

zeemumu

There was a later episode of Spongebob that centered around Squidward bringing in a Krabby Patty making machine and Spongebob challenging it to a cook-off. The whole thing is a reference to John Henry, complete with
Spongebob "dying" from exhaustion at the end after beating the machine
latest

commedieu

Banned
The benefit for this from a corporate side i think is less about the reduction in payable hours and more about eliminating the bullshit that comes with people. The fast food joint no longer has to worry about late employees, no shows, shitty attitudes, etc.. Obviously maintenance is a concern but that'll be sorted out eventually.

It's all of the above. Health insurance, lawsuits too. Robots will benefit corporations by allowing them to sever ties with low wage workers. Unfortunately, Americaa attitude of "fuck you, I got mine!!!" Will just create a larger void of people doing multiple low wage jobs to make rent. Like it is now, but worse with entry level work being automated. So you're going to have to know someone to get a entry level job. Not just do a shifty fast food job till you find something better. And you better hope you get a scholarship.

Alexlf

On the other side of AI, the Wall Street Journal has an article out today describing how IBM's Watson has not been as beneficial as expected in helping doctors tailor individualized treatments for cancer patients. Five years and over 20 million dollars of investment from the University of Texas with very little to show for it. The president of MD Anderson Cancer Center actually recently resigned; the article suspects that this failure had played a part in it. In fact, Watson's cancer algorithm is already outdated and cannot be updated with the newer cancer protocols without human input. And this will not be done, since IBM's contract with MD Anderson for this has expired without renewal.

There was also the little tidbit implied by the news article how there was a potential conflict of interest from MD Anderson in that the wife of said former cancer center president happens to be the physician who spoke to IBM in the first place and securing the contract. The chancellor of UT actually ordered an audit due to all the wasted money.

So much for AI programs taking over doctors' jobs anytime soon. This was its most famous example. At least five years from IBM (using a supercomputer, no less) and one of the most advanced cancer centers in the world and still not a single patient independently treated by it. And this was just aimed at treating lung cancer, not much else.

Really? Because the way I remember that article was that it was a massive success for every single other organization that implemented it except UT which misconfigured it, prevented it from having proper accesses to their medical records, and then blamed IT for it's own decisions when everything started to fail. IDK, might have been a different incident though.

CodonAUG

then the next big thing will be burgers made to order by humans. something a robot can't do. They can follow instructions but they can't give you a patty with 40% pork, mixed with garlic and fresh basil and give you soft not crispy bacon on top.

no matter what, robots, humans will always defy you and win. It is to your benefit to ally with us so that we can both survive.

http://momentummachines.com

This startup claims their machine can do all that. Though they hadn't launched yet.

Ogodei

No, this robot makes perfect sense.

This means you don't have to redesign and rebuild your whole kitchen to automate it, which reduces the capital cost to start automating. With this, you can just convert bits and pieces at a time.

Suppose this robot automates enough to replace 1 person, at a $15/hr wage, assuming the robot lasts three years before it needs to be replaced, that's $100k.

As long as the robot costs less than that, there's no reason not to buy the robot. I bet that robot costs a lot less than $100k, probably $10k or $15k.

Even if it can't replace a whole person, if by using it you can cut the number of work hours in the kitchen by more than the robot is worth, its still a win to buy the robot.

Basically it depends on the cashflow of the business. For chains that have a budget for capital investments that math makes sense. For a small diner that barely makes ends meet as it is, it's hard to amortize that $15,000 compared to just paying a frycook intermittently for 1000 hours or more.

Dai Kaiju

30 years from now, poor people are going to be living in shacks reminiscing about how there used to be minimum wage jobs that anyone could get and you could use the money to live in an apartment or trailer.

I think this was the wrong takeaway from the news story you're referencing.

When analyzing the results of the various hospitals, it turned out that UT was statistically different. It turned out that they were not updating their models (using it properly) and Watson was being wasted. They lost their ability to renew their contract.

The rest of the contracts continue.
Other than Memorial Sloan Kettering, what other major cancer centers are testing it? I have heard of no others and IBM's webpage only mentions MSK, which has collaborated with IBM on this since at least 2013 and still have very, very little to show for it. AFAIK, testing is still for only cancers for a single organ system and MSK still has not used Watson in clinical practice. I haven't seen any evidence that MSK has done that much more than MDACC with this technology.

akira28

30 years from now, poor people are going to be living in shacks reminiscing about how there used to be minimum wage jobs that anyone could get and you could use the money to live in an apartment or trailer.

basically the plot and world of Dark Angel, which was always the most likely sci-fi scenario to come true anyway. We're basically there.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a top griddle to sandwich the meat in between? Then there's no flipping involved.

Yeah, that would be way cheaper and faster. But I think this robot also places the meat on the grill in the first place, so that would make sense

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Might be slow and a bit janky looking but the 2.0 version of this is going to be bowling burgers straight into customer's mouths.

Look forward to what else this company does, and automation's future in general. Can't wait to displace menial labour into newer, more generative industries

pennsatucky.png

aaaaa0

Basically it depends on the cashflow of the business. For chains that have a budget for capital investments that math makes sense. For a small diner that barely makes ends meet as it is, it's hard to amortize that $15,000 compared to just paying a frycook intermittently for 1000 hours or more.

Might not be that hard to amortize, it's standard procedure to provide financing and leasing options.

You do know this is an incredibly empty, dogshit answer to give, right? It doesn't acknowledge the rate of change and disruption at risk, nor does it address the real, lived in experience of precarious living many will absolutely face.

"Get a job that can't get automated" is as meaningful as saying "if you're poor, don't be poor." I'd arguably call it a profoundly Republican response to make, and I mean that as harshly as I can.

Well, it obviously wasn't an all serious answer. I wasn't planning to write an analytical response to a burger flipping robot and how a government should plan to accommodate a workforce that will soon become automated. Still, people should be weary of the job sector they will be in going forward from here. I'm aware some don't have the luxury of choosing their career, but that's not exactly my responsibility to write a solution for on neogaf.

I'm also not from America so the republican response...ok?

Makai

oh no

oh no did not look at date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom