• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

They're coming for yer jerbs: Miso Robotics releases burger flipping robot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaaaa0

It begins. They're coming fer yer jerbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMIkWyiJp0k

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...itchen-plans-worldwide-rollout-300419426.html
PASADENA, Calif., March 7, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Miso Robotics and Cali Group today unveiled Flippy, an artificial intelligence-driven robot that will work alongside kitchen staff to grill burgers at CaliBurger restaurants. Flippy had its debut at the CaliBurger location in Pasadena, California. A video demonstration captured the robotic kitchen assistant flipping burgers and placing them on buns. Flippy will roll out in early 2018 and expand to more than 50 CaliBurger restaurants worldwide by the end of 2019.

Miso Robotics is pioneering the use of computer vision and deep learning software to bring low-cost, adaptable robotics into restaurants. The company's collaborative kitchen assistant handles the hazardous, tedious and time-sensitive aspects of grilling and cooks burgers to perfection every time. It easily integrates into CaliBurger's current kitchen layout without needing to reconfigure existing equipment.

While artificial intelligence is being successfully tested and employed to drive cars, manage the home and message with customers, Miso Robotics is the first company to bring robotics and AI into the kitchen in a meaningful way.
"Much like self-driving vehicles, our system continuously learns from its experiences to improve over time," said David Zito, CEO of Miso Robotics. "Though we are starting with the relatively 'simple' task of cooking burgers, our proprietary AI software allows our kitchen assistants to be adaptable and therefore can be trained to help with almost any dull, dirty or dangerous task in a commercial kitchen — whether it's frying chicken, cutting vegetables or final plating."

200_s.gif

On the other side of AI, the Wall Street Journal has an article out today describing how IBM's Watson has not been as beneficial as expected in helping doctors tailor individualized treatments for cancer patients. Five years and over 20 million dollars of investment from the University of Texas with very little to show for it. The president of MD Anderson Cancer Center actually recently resigned; the article suspects that this failure had played a part in it. In fact, Watson's cancer algorithm is already outdated and cannot be updated with the newer cancer protocols without human input. And this will not be done, since IBM's contract with MD Anderson for this has expired without renewal.

There was also the little tidbit implied by the news article how there was a potential conflict of interest from MD Anderson in that the wife of said former cancer center president happens to be the physician who spoke to IBM in the first place and securing the contract. The chancellor of UT actually ordered an audit due to all the wasted money.

So much for AI programs taking over doctors' jobs anytime soon. This was its most famous example. At least five years from IBM (using a supercomputer, no less) and one of the most advanced cancer centers in the world and still not a single patient independently treated by it. And this was just aimed at treating lung cancer, not much else.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
On the other side of AI, the Wall Street Journal has an article out today describing how IBM's Watson has not been as beneficial as expected in helping doctors tailor individualized treatments for cancer patients. Five years and over 20 million dollars of investment from the University of Texas with very little to show for it. The president of MD Anderson Cancer Center actually recently resigned; the article suspects that this failure had played a part in it. In fact, Watson's cancer algorithm is already outdated and cannot be updated with the newer cancer protocols without human input. And this will not be done, since IBM's contract with MD Anderson for this has expired without renewal.

There was also the little tidbit implied by the news article how there was a potential conflict of interest from MD Anderson in that the wife of said former cancer center president happens to be the physician who spoke to IBM in the first place and securing the contract.

So much for AI programs taking over doctors' jobs anytime soon. This was its most famous example. At least five years from IBM (using a supercomputer, no less) and one of the most advanced cancer centers in the world and still not a single patient independently treated by it. And this was just aimed at treating lung cancer, not much else.

You mean to tell me Technology takes time!?

The really shitty part there is that IBM won't continue with it, but that's expected. They're a business and updating the algorithms costs them time/money. The best way of going about it would be giving the data to universities to let them program/update it on their own time while trying to research better ways.

You mean to tell me Technology takes time!?
Given that recent thread about AI, it seemed that many Gaffers were anticipating artificial intelligence was going to take over internal medicine-type fields within 20 years. The WSJ article is an example of how human factors really delay any type of replacement advancing in this complex field that quickly.

That frycook in the video sure is happy that the robot took his job.

Well, to be fair, have you ever tried to hang out with anything that walks on two legs after spending yet another double shift hovering over spitting oil?

When I worked at McDonald's I needed to take 30 minute showers to get the stench out and wash my clothes three times before they smelled like anything BUT that. Ick.

I'd be happy, too.

dh4niel

That human worker isn't even wearing a hair net. I for one welcome our new robot fast food staff. Shame it can't fully assembled a burger as well.

akira28

then the next big thing will be burgers made to order by humans. something a robot can't do. They can follow instructions but they can't give you a patty with 40% pork, mixed with garlic and fresh basil and give you soft not crispy bacon on top.

no matter what, robots, humans will always defy you and win. It is to your benefit to ally with us so that we can both survive.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
then the next big thing will be burgers made to order by humans. something a robot can't do. They can follow instructions but they can't give you a patty with 40% pork, mixed with garlic and fresh basil and give you soft not crispy bacon on top.

no matter what, robots, humans will always defy you and win. It is to your benefit to ally with us so that we can both survive.

Now the Matrix trilogy makes sense. It was all about robots stealing jobs.

There are many applications where I don't see robotz taking over anytime soon, either it's too specialized and thus inflexible or it's a general purpose thing and thus not smart enough.

derder

There was also the little tidbit implied by the news article how there was a potential conflict of interest from MD Anderson in that the wife of said former cancer center president happens to be the physician who spoke to IBM in the first place and securing the contract. The chancellor of UT actually ordered an audit due to all the wasted money.

I think this was the wrong takeaway from the news story you're referencing.

When analyzing the results of the various hospitals, it turned out that UT was statistically different. It turned out that they were not updating their models (using it properly) and Watson was being wasted. They lost their ability to renew their contract.

The rest of the contracts continue.

Zaru

A robot might actually be able to make burgers that look a bit closer to the ads instead of the sorry sloppy excuses they tend to give us.

LewieP

It does seem like a bizarre half measure to me. Why make a robot designed to operate inside a human kitchen when you could just design and far more automated end to end production line. Nothing involved in making a burger (or indeed most food production) would be too complicated for a sufficiently advanced automate process to manage.

Carn82

It does seem like a bizarre half measure to me. Why make a robot designed to operate inside a human kitchen when you could just design and far more automated end to end production line. Nothing involved in making a burger (or indeed most food production) would be too complicated for a sufficiently advanced automate process to manage.

We'll probably get there; I guess this is just the first part of it. Everything can be automated in the end, its more a question if the investment is worth it; sometimes cheap labour is still the better option. I used to work at a brewery; they still had some guys working there that would monitor the bottling line. Every now and then a bottle would get stuck or tip over and it would need to be corrected within 30 seconds. I'm sure you can engineer a very complex machine that could do this as well, but human hands fix the situation much quicker.

aaaaa0

No, this robot makes perfect sense.

This means you don't have to redesign and rebuild your whole kitchen to automate it, which reduces the capital cost to start automating. With this, you can just convert bits and pieces at a time.

Suppose this robot automates enough to replace 1 person, at a $15/hr wage, assuming the robot lasts three years before it needs to be replaced, that's $100k.

As long as the robot costs less than that, there's no reason not to buy the robot. I bet that robot costs a lot less than $100k, probably $10k or $15k.

Even if it can't replace a whole person, if by using it you can cut the number of work hours in the kitchen by more than the robot is worth, its still a win to buy the robot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom