• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FT: 'Deaths of despair’ surge among US white working class

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean education needs to be completely dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up. From K-12 to College. The entire curriculum needs to be revamped for the 21st century. Fuck MacBeth, kids need to know how compound interest works, etc...

Sorry but the days of going to work at the factory like dad and grandpa are done. Kids need to be educated for the jobs that exist today.

gutting literature and writing when our democracy is being brought to its knees by a dearth of critical thinking ability and perspective is only gonna make things worse.

more civics, economics, and modern personal finance don't mean burning art education to the ground.

Trokil

Banned
LGBT suicide too, in fact both are still higher proportional rates than certain others.

Odd how that works.

Or it could be just math 10% out of 10 million > 10% out of 100'000 for example. Also male suicide is 4 times higher then female. A lot of odd things are happening in the world you know.

I liked Tim Wise's commentary on this.

PmKQ7p7.jpg

This is pretty much exactly the commentary I'd expect from him. Man is very right on some things, but he's the epitome of someone who sees a world as full of nails.

wbsmcs

With regards to the atheism points being made, passage from the paper:

We have seen that it is difficult to link the increasing distress in midlife to the obvious contemporaneous aggregate factors, such as income or unemployment. But some of the most convincing discussions of what has happened to working class whites emphasize a longterm process of decline, or of cumulative deprivation, rooted in the steady deterioration in job opportunities for people with low education, see in particular Cherlin (2009, 2014). This process, which began for those leaving high school and entering the labor force after the early 1970s—the peak of working class wages, and the beginning of the end of the ”blue collar aristocracy"—worsened over time, and caused, or at least was accompanied by, other changes in society that made life more difficult for less-educated people, not only in their employment opportunities, but in their marriages, and in the lives of and prospects for their children. Traditional structures of social and economic support slowly weakened; no longer was it possible for a man to follow his father and grandfather into a manufacturing job, or to join the union. Marriage was no longer the only way to form intimate partner- ships, or to rear children. People moved away from the security of legacy religions or the churches of their parents and grandparents, towards churches that emphasized seeking an identity, or replaced membership with the search for connections, Wuthnow (1990). These changes left people with less structure when they came to choose their careers, their religion, and the nature of their family lives. When such choices succeed, they are liberating; when they fail, the individual can only hold him or herself responsible. In the worst cases of failure, this is a Durkheim-like recipe for suicide.

So while atheism doesn't seem to pose a direct correlation, it can explain this "loss of structure" that a religion such a Catholicism provides.

They need jobs, not a lecture in white privilege.

He's providing a commentary on the subject.

A "give them more jobs" post isnt going to give them more jobs either.

Are you only allowed to comment if you're giving people jobs?

That is the only thing they have to offer, no empathy that is for sure.

How many jobs did you create with this post?

They need jobs, not a widesweeping drive-by post.

Everybody needs jobs.

Who is they?

gutting literature and writing when our democracy is being brought to its knees by a dearth of critical thinking ability and perspective is only gonna make things worse.

more civics, economics, and modern personal finance don't mean burning art education to the ground.

Obviously some subjects are going to remain pillars of education. Writing, Reading, Math..etc.

I don't know the exact balance of courses. My point is the discussion needs to be had and changes need to be made to education. I'm not saying "fuck art". I am saying "Maybe less European history out the ass and more tangible real life practical skills being taught"

Sulik2

This. Its rankings keep sinking further and further. For all that is said for the world class universities in the US, a lot of their staff and students have to be imported from other countries. High Schools are just not producing results that feed higher education.

The GOP doesn't want education fixed. Keeping people uneducated and with no critical thinking ability is what gives them their base of people to exploit. The states with the worst education systems are almost all red states. The long term goal of corporations and the GOP in this country seems to be modern corporate serfdom or slavery with no middle class. Just the elites and their peasants.

Everybody needs jobs.

Who is they?

Obviously some subjects are going to remain pillars of education. Writing, Reading, Math..etc.

I don't know the exact balance of courses. My point is the discussion needs to be had and changes need to be made to education. I'm not saying "fuck art". I am saying "Maybe less European history out the ass and more tangible real life practical skills being taught"

I mean both can be done in my High School English class we learned Macbeth as well as how to fold clothes so what you are saying is already being done.

Let us fucking help you
Seriously.

Let us put an actual tax regime in place on millionaires, billionaires, and the many trillions of dollars of wealth lurking offshore that contributes nothing, helps nobody.

Let us take that money and pump it into public education, job training, free public colleges, universal health care, drug treatment, mental health services, and infrastructure. Without onerous and pointlessly "moralistic" restrictions. Just let us spend the money. Not just in your poor communities, but in every underserved community.

Stop voting to have gasoline poured on your own fucking funeral pyre.

I mean both can be done in my High School English class we learned Macbeth as well as how to fold clothes so what you are saying is already being done.

No, it's not. Public school is ass in a lot of areas. I'm glad your school is great and is teaching tangible real world skills and Macbeth. But I stand by my original statement. Fuck Macbeth. Real world skills. They can learn Europe on their own time.

npm0925

I like how it's portrayed as an "opioid epidemic" that needs medical treatment when it effects white suburbanites but a "war on drugs" that requires mass incarceration when it's urban blacks.

Why do they deserve empathy?

This is their own doing. Instead evolving they continued voting like it was the 50s. Bit them in the ass and they will continue voting like it is the 50s.

Sorry, it's hard to feel empathy for people that don't wise up.

It is like that other thread about the women whose husband is being deported who voted for trump. Shit don't matter if its fucking other minorities, lgbtq, etc, but once it bites them in the ass, they complain.

No, it's not. Public school is ass in a lot of areas. I'm glad your school is great and is teaching tangible real world skills and Macbeth. But I stand by my original statement. Fuck Macbeth. Real world skills. They can learn Europe on their own time.
Teaching literature, history, and the rest of the humanities is essential to helping people better understand their lives and the context in which they are living. The humanities teach us empathy. They enrich our language. They help us understand history, politics, culture, and the other nebulous forces shaping our worlds. They help us appreciate our humanity — and others' humanity — far beyond the scope of doing work and getting paid.

Those are "real world skills," too.

Lyn

Banned

Exactly.

This is not to deny white privilege exists, but people need to understand the viewpoint of rural America and the problems that come along with these type of arguments. So many people in rural America live in shacks, broken down mobile homes, leaking trailers, and the like. They struggle to find jobs, access to education is broken, and communities are crumbling. So when this group gets lectured on their privilege they are going to scoff when they see it comes from people who live in the city or cozy suburbs, where access to jobs, education, and large amounts of expendable income are readily available. Then you add on that people generalize entire regions with derogatory terms (hillbilly, redneck, deplorable, etc) and point at these people and laugh, or wishing they would die off as suggested in a previous thread here, it is no wonder they are being driven to drugs and suicide.

Honestly, there is a lot at play here. Trying to pin it down to one aspect such as white privilege is being disingenuous altogether. It is more likely that this is related to a perfect storm of issues ranging from education, job availability, the decline of family and communities, politics, cultural differences between regions, etc.

Here is a tweet chain I recommend checking out. It links to a couple of articles that actually talk to people in these regions.

https://twitter.com/Chris_arnade/status/828955557268701189

Fuchsdh

Complete lack of affordable education, affordable housing and affordable healthcare

But opioids are affordable.

For the most part, those things aren't an issue. Cost of living in these areas is dramatically cheap—the flip side is that there are far fewer jobs now, and jobs that remain are higher-skilled.

I mean education needs to be completely dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up. From K-12 to College. The entire curriculum needs to be revamped for the 21st century. Fuck MacBeth, kids need to know how compound interest works, etc...

Sorry but the days of going to work at the factory like dad and grandpa are done. Kids need to be educated for the jobs that exist today.

I see this sentiment a lot in education, basically that "it's the liberal arts' fault", and I can't agree with it. You need to know addition, multiplication, and subtraction for the real world. But you also need to understand rhetoric, logic, grammar. There's a reason why the "liberal arts" were valued by the Greeks as necessary for a citizen participating in affairs of the state.

The problem is that it's harder to test the "soft" disciplines, and so they are easy to cut. If we're looking at the problems with the school system it should probably be on the basic metrics of why are so many graduating while still being barely literate. And the solution to those isn't cutting MacBeth.

Trokil

Banned
Why do they deserve empathy?

Because everybody does, not just people you like. That is what makes you decent human beeing.

This is their own doing. Instead evolving they continued voting like it was the 50s. Bit them in the ass and they will continue voting like it is the 50s.

Sorry, it's hard to feel empathy for people that don't wise up.

So it is their fault, that they chose a path 30 years ago and now are in their 50s and now should all become IT supporters or bankers. If they can not afford bread let them eat cake.

It is like that other thread about the women whose husband is being deported who voted for trump. Shit don't matter if its fucking other minorities, lgbtq, etc, but once it bites them in the ass, they complain.

The Democrats don't support them either, they just let them die slower. There is no choice for them, because Democrats don't care about them. This election they even told them to go away, because they will win anyway. So why should they vote for Democrats who only care for them, when they want to win an election and call them deplorables the rest of the 4 years. They have no moral obligation to choose them as long as they get nothing back, just because they life in places what Democrates like to call fly over states.

Oh the poor babies. They're​ the only ones suffering.

Everybody needs jobs, support structures, stable situations.

This isn't a unique thing. Addressing the factors unique to the situation is the only way anything will get better.

Apparently they are not suffering, because of the color of their skin and it was their fault, they chose the wrong job 15, 20 or 30 years ago.
Where has anybody said or implied that? Please.

Enlighten me, a poster asking you why someone hewing a situation of their own making is not the same as implying that they aren't suffering.

Where has anybody said or implied that? Please.

Enlighten me, a poster asking you why someone hewing a situation of their own making is not the same as implying that they aren't suffering.

Your patronising attitude to fairly concerning evidence of people dying and suffering due to economic circumstance is striking.

Your patronising attitude to fairly concerning evidence of people dying and suffering due to economic circumstance is striking.
Ah but your patronizing attitude when discussing race in regards to systemic class based barriers isn't though.

The white rural working man is not the only one suffering because of economic downturn and drug abuse. To address issues beyond their economic malaise is not to lack empathy for their situation.

Ogodei

With regards to the atheism points being made, passage from the paper:

So while atheism doesn't seem to pose a direct correlation, it can explain this "loss of structure" that a religion such a Catholicism provides.

Your church provided you with one more outlet of community. If you were having personal problems, you could talk to your priest (especially Catholicism via Confession), if you fell on hard economic times, you might benefit from a special collection at mass. Faith alone is not enough (since churches are often already doing a lot for the poor and can't handle a heavier load, especially if their own congregation is getting poorer), but it was a piece of the puzzle.

(this coming from an atheist, by the way).

It's not like people of color have stopped suffering because they vote Democrat anyways.

I'd bet that Democrats have something to do with those declining "deaths of despair" numbers for minorities. Not all of it, but part of it.

Edit: Mostly to say that PoCs are still suffering, but their suffering is proportionately less than it was 30 years ago, while whites proportionately are suffering more.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Hopefully there's some way to halt the decline of rural areas in your country.

It disproportionately affects White and Native Americans because that tends to be the only groups that live there (aside from parts of the Southeast).

Everyone deserves a living wage.

Identity politics won't fix this.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Ah but your patronizing attitude when discussing race in regards to systemic class based barriers isn't though.

The white rural working man is not the only one suffering because of economic downturn and drug abuse.To address issues beyond their economic malaise is not to lack empathy for their situation.

No doubt, but they seem to die more than anyone else (all of a sudden too) and this seems to be an issue in only one country. Then I look at the black number and I see it has always been insanely high (though it decreased and is now lower). It is puzzling to see quantitative data like this and as a foreigner I can't put my finger on how this could happen. It baffles me.

It's clear that everyone is hurting right now. Hopefully some sort of solution that isn't bootstraps can be figured out in the future. Best wishes.

”Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."― J.M. Barrie

commedieu

Banned
How can anyone even take this serious? how do you take quantitative data and push this kind of agenda

At the bare minimum, the agenda is saying that white people don't realize the reality of not being white. It's not the end of the world to not have a job. Just like it's not the end of the world to not be hired because of an ethnic sounding name, or that you're illegaly in the country. You face hurdles and have to adapt to survive in a white dominated world.

If you're told all your life that things are going to be one way, then it turns up bust, what else is there for you when you haven't known any other options? It is in fact the end of the world to a lot of people. They believe it. No hope. That leads to depression and escapism through drugs and alcohol.

It's not a knock, and it should be seen as more or less hope, that you can make it without a societal upper leg. But I can see how it can be taken the wrong way if you focus on turning it into something incendiary.

Truth be told, all poor people and lower class people have the same thing in common. They want a decent quality of life, and to have a healthy family. That goes across party lines. But, one group actively votes to make things harder for others, which in turn, makes things harder for them. It's not impossible to see why this causes animosity.

Poppy

i just find it incredibly hard to find room in my limited life for empathy for the group that ruins our country the hardest.

there can be no doubt that they are suffering, and this i recognize. but i won't pretend like the middle aged white demographic hasn't betrayed themselves, the country, and the entire human race. death is unfortunate, to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom