• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuck Bungie and Ubisoft for starting the precedent of deleting and removing paid content...

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I like my disks.

cd GIF

But even then some of this stuff still screws me over.
This is such a cool animation.
Where is it from?

On Topic.

I was so confused when Destiny 2 was on Gamepass.
I needed a frikken 3 hour presentation to figure out what i could play, what i needed to pay for and what i needed to pay for to play after it left gamepass.
I just said fuck it, ill wait for Destiny 3 or never bother.

Theres obvoiously more than enough idiots to pre order and buy every dlc they throw at you so dont blame the company, blame the consumer that eats that shit up. Just last week here on Neogaf people were justifying pre ordering digital games months in advance....so they could play online 2 days earlier...WOW.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
and what can we do about it now?

how about people stop buying Bungie/Ubisoft content? nah, fuck that, cause that will never catch on....

/s

it sucks what's happening but like AeonGaidenRaiden AeonGaidenRaiden said there are enough morons who will just keep buying it. We all like to complain about dlc/microtransactions/lootboxes etc but the thing is people are spending money on it so that's basically just telling the companies that they are OK with it. If other companies see that Bungie/Ubisoft can get away with it then more will follow.

if you don't like it you gotta do something about it but again look at the state of things right now with dlc/mtx/lootboxes. people haven't caught onto that and seem to be happy with that. gamers like to complain but also they bring a lot of it upon themselves.

Last edited:

Ellery

Kinda surprised I haven't seen Klaus Schwab's face in here.

Most of all those companies are fucking themselves in the long run. Sadly it is the suits, CEO, managers etc. that make stupid decisions whilst making big money in the short term and then those people leave well off to the next project to ruin and the ruins are left for the long term employees and customers.
If you ever have any doubt just look at Blizzard and what happened to them.

And like others have mentioned it is the digital age of services. Capitalistic car manufacturers trying to join in on the next level greed now.
Will be interesting to see the landscape of when the macro environments change.

This is such a cool animation.
Where is it from?

On Topic.
I was so confused when Destiny 2 was on Gamepass.
I needed a frikken 3 hour presentation to figure out what i could play, what i needed to pay for and what i needed to pay for to play after it left gamepass.
I just said fuck it, ill wait for Destiny 3 or never bother.

No idea found it in the gif search by typing in disk. I’ll always try to buy physical whenever possible but sometimes I have to buy something digitally. Delisting is something that would suck but many times you are still able to download it.

Laptop1991

I agree it's wrong and this was predicted long ago, once they have your money these companies don't care about the customer/fan nowadays.

Reactions: Isa
I used to get mad at the companies, but then I realized it's not their fault. They just want to make money, and people are giving them their money.

We, the consumer, are 100% responsible for the state of the industry. Stop looking at companies like they are supposed to have some sort of moral compass.

It's also a good thing. The more certain companies pursue shitty practices, it opens the door for new companies to enter the market with different business philosophies. Who gives a shit about Bungie or Ubisoft? I haven't purchased a game from either company in over 5 years.

• Thoughtful

Three

But did you buy that nailpolish to get that Halo Infinite skin?
Now I have fabulous nails and that exclusive purple colour MC.

Last edited:
  • LOL

RCU005

Not really gaming, but might have started from it: All software is now subscription-based. I haven’t seen any software that you can buy and own it anymore.

I see nothing wrong with retailer specific DLC as long as its only armor sets/skins. With so much competition these days, they need something to entice people to choose to purchase at their store over another. However, any exclusivity in regards to story content should never be allowed.

Last edited:

Filben

Looking at it now, Horse Armour isn't all that bad. a) you knew what you'll get, no gambling, no surprise b) it can't be """vaulted""" like Bungie doing with things or Ubisoft with their DLC c) you get it directly after purchase and not the option to only unlock it within a given time frame like with cosmetics in Battle Passes. d) it wasn't sold for 18 bucks or more like they're doing now for cosmetics.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It fucking pisses me off. Now publishers feel like they can get away with it now. Fuck this digital future.

All it takes is just one company.

Bethesda started with Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion with horse armor microtransactions, the success of that created microtransaction monstrosities with piecemeal DLC skins, it's so fucking sad.

Then we got store exclusive preorder bonuses, where preordering a game from a retailer would get you specific DLC, this prevents gamers from accessing all the available content unless you preordered from multiple retailers, thank god this trend is over.
But fuck I lost out on getting all the DLC for Lolipop Chainsaw, Enslaved Odyssey to the West, Hunted, demons' Forge, etc, and all the games that participated in this exclusive shit, you couldn't even purchase it from the digital store.

Then we get OverWatch and their exploit of loot boxes, then we see this shit in FIFA and Star Wars Battlefield 2. Good thing the lawmakers stepped in to stop this shit from ruining people with addictive tendencies.

Then we have mother fucking Nintendo closing the eShop for the Wii, Wii U, DSi, 3DS, so they can push their online subscription which doesn't even have any of those old games. Holy Fuck.

Then we have SEGA, mother fucking SEGA, they removed Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3, Sonic and Knuckles, and Sonic CD from the PSN and Xbox Store ahead of the Sonic Origins game release. Motherfuckers ruined achievement and trophy collecting for others who want to purchase a single game.

Honestly, gaming went to shit.
Fuck these companies and their anti-consumer practices.

This type of shit in gaming is going to extend to real life too. With inflation, we are paying more for less, kinda like gaming now.
Im glad to see Im not the only one who recognizes how important achievements and trophies are!
giphy.gif

I love and hate them at the same time.

• LOL

Three

That why I'm in for subscription services. I knew digital goods are never forever.
Umm subscription services are the epitome of this. That's what's bringing this in. Just look at Halo Infinite, Sea of Thieves, now MCC, MLB, Destiny, Rainbow 6 etc.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It fucking pisses me off. Now publishers feel like they can get away with it now. Fuck this digital future.

Bethesda started with Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion with horse armor microtransactions, the success of that created microtransaction monstrosities with piecemeal DLC skins, it's so fucking sad.

Then we got store exclusive preorder bonuses, where preordering a game from a retailer would get you specific DLC, this prevents gamers from accessing all the available content unless you preordered from multiple retailers, thank god this trend is over.
But fuck I lost out on getting all the DLC for Lolipop Chainsaw, Enslaved Odyssey to the West, Hunted, demons' Forge, etc, and all the games that participated in this exclusive shit, you couldn't even purchase it from the digital store.

Then we get OverWatch and their exploit of loot boxes, then we see this shit in FIFA and Star Wars Battlefield 2. Good thing the lawmakers stepped in to stop this shit from ruining people with addictive tendencies.

Then we have mother fucking Nintendo closing the eShop for the Wii, Wii U, DSi, 3DS, so they can push their online subscription which doesn't even have any of those old games. Holy Fuck.

Then we have SEGA, mother fucking SEGA, they removed Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3, Sonic and Knuckles, and Sonic CD from the PSN and Xbox Store ahead of the Sonic Origins game release. Motherfuckers ruined achievement and trophy collecting for others who want to purchase a single game.

This type of shit in gaming is going to extend to real life too. With inflation, we are paying more for less, kinda like gaming now.
Aaaaaand breathe.

But yes, 100% agree with all of that.

Do people really feel like they have to access all available content for a game? When does it end?
I certainly feel like a company should not be able to take away single player DLC or entire games that I paid for, thank you very much.

But hey, I'm sure the multi-billion dollar publishers are really glad you have their back.

Camreezie

You cite two developers in your title and then go on to describe a bunch of other examples none of which are the two on your title. I am genuinely curious what content Bungie and Ubisoft have removed from games.
Ubisoft are taking down Assassins Creed Liberation from all store fronts and i think even people who have bought the game

Never buy digital unless it's the only way to get something. It's a bad value proposition. Sure, buying physical won't save you, but at least I can resell my physical copy of Drive Club once they strip out half of the features.

Have you fucking seen that BMW is starting a subscription service where you pay fucking $18,00 a month to use the fucking heating seat system built into the car. And the worst, people will fucking pay it like it is the cream of the crop haha. This digital future is fucking sad.

Edit: Sorry for the language.

Last edited:
Never buy digital unless it's the only way to get something. It's a bad value proposition. Sure, buying physical won't save you, but at least I can resell my physical copy of Drive Club once they strip out half of the features.
The problem is that nothing is stopping them from retroactively activating a DRM lock when the licenses expire. They want to butt f* us.

Dane

Destiny 2 is absurd as Ubisoft and has been going on since the original, Bungie ended their deal with Activision and still upholds this bullshit, you know you went beyond the rock bottom when do you do worse than Activision .

ManaByte

Ubisoft are taking down Assassins Creed Liberation from all store fronts and i think even people who have bought the game

If you own the game you can still download it. It's just being delisted.

It's completely different than Bungie saying "fuck you, kiss that expansion you just bought goodbye" because even if you bought the Destiny 2 expansions YOU CANNOT PLAY THEM.

sainraja

Destiny has become an evolving game. I mean, it's a different format of game now and you immerse yourself within the universe or you move on to other stuff. it's not a requirement for anyone here to play Destiny.
I've pretty much paid for the game itself (before it was free) and its corresponding expansions. I do wish we still had access to all that so don't get me wrong but it's been fine and you hardly need or want to go back to the previous campaigns unfortunately.

The people complaining about the removed content are the ones who never bothered with it when it was available and are people who don't play the game anyway. It is unfortunate but it is what it is.

Last edited:

AllBizness

Banned
I hope Bungie doesn't do that bullshit anymore now that their under Sony. Pretty shitty to remove paid dlc content. Fucking assholes

MacReady13

But gaming is better today than it has EVER been!!! BULLSHIT. Gaming has NEVER been in a worse spot than today and it is only going to get worse.

I don't think ubisoft shutting down servers for their old games is anywhere in the same realm of bullshit of bungie deleting paid content in a game that's still actively played and supported. I mean forsaken released in 2018 and it's gone now.

MacReady13

I'm honestly hoping Nintendo's next console will be a failure like the Wii U because they have become quite complacent.
I was THE biggest fan of the big N. Since the days of the Wii though they have regressed so badly it's not funny. My Switch now gathers dust as there is nothing to play. They have a backwards online system AND they expect us to RENT their old games without the option of purchasing them! Madness. I truly hate what gaming has become today. I'll die on this fucking hill saying that gaming peaked with the early days of the PS3/360 and has fallen so badly since then it's not funny.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

Silver lining here is that I feel no moral hesitation at all when pirating questionably obtaining eshop or other content no longer available on existing shops, and it's extremely easy to set up a homebrew stack on Nintendo's previous platforms. My hacked 3DS / Wii etc are fantastic little systems now that encapsulate the best of their era.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
This is always how it was going to happen. I've been the canary in the coal mine telling you guys never to pay for anything that is download only, because you will never own it. People acted like I'm some kind of weirdo, like I'm a Luddite fighting the future.
Charging money for digital only products has always been an anti consumer venture. "It's convenient" was the lie they told to get people not to notice they were getting ready to fuck their customers, but people ate it up.
If you ever bought anything digitally and never demanded a mechanical copy this is your fault.

Rest

Absolutely unbelievable.

There needs to be lawsuits
Why? It's in the terms of service you agree to when you pay for download only content. It's a rental that they can take back at any time with no notice. They told you they were fucking you and you agreed to it.

I certainly feel like a company should not be able to take away single player DLC or entire games that I paid for, thank you very much.

But hey, I'm sure the multi-billion dollar publishers are really glad you have their back.
You paid to rent them. This was in the licensing agreement you made when you paid for the rental.

Last edited:

Rest

Oh, FYI, this shit is only going to get worse from here.

Top Bottom