• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Throttle Remastered |OT| Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen...

TechJunk

Man, I needed a guide around the temple sequences because the puzzle beginning to make no sense. However, the plot is still interesting and I love the characters so far.

Ya I just played the Dig for the first time last year. Loved it until the Alien planet, where it just became to unnecessarily obtuse.
Not ashamed to say I used a guide to soar to the end.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ya I just played the Dig for the first time last year. Loved it until the Alien planet, where it just became to unnecessarily obtuse.
Not ashamed to say I used a guide to soar to the end.
Oh man, I can't believe I finished The Dig without a guide back in the day. Was brutal. What a great experience, though.

Mifune

Mehmber
This thread's official title should change to "Full Throttle: The one-hit wonder" because at the end of the day more than 20 years on, we STILL never got a sequel, and the fact that a third of the game had to be left out is shocking, more so with the case that it is not as if DF were being stretched to their limits when producing this re-master, they only seem to bring out one game a year (correct me if I am wrong)....

This is Double Fine's fourth release in a little over a year. Day of the Tentacle, Headlander, Psychonauts VR, and Full Throttle.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
how're you actually supposed to solve the wall kicking puzzle? i just kind of remembered it, but playing through now i can't really see any indications that it's what you're supposed to do.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
how're you actually supposed to solve the wall kicking puzzle? i just kind of remembered it, but playing through now i can't really see any indications that it's what you're supposed to do.

The game tells you to kick when the meters stop and are aligned. The rest is trial and error, Maureen remembers there being a large crack in the wall so that narrows it down to a few possibilities.

RAIDEN1

Even if it is DF's fourth release of the year all they had to do was re-master even less content than those other 3 games, which surely couldn't have taken a year to do, just wish there was more to it than just a fresh lick of paint...as we are unlikely to get another re-entry of this game probably ever, or at least another 20 years later..

Fisty

Just starting playing this for the first time. The guy has his leather jacket tucked into his pants... this is brilliant

Boem

Even if it is DF's fourth release of the year all they had to do was re-master even less content than those other 3 games, which surely couldn't have taken a year to do, just wish there was more to it than just a fresh lick of paint...as we are unlikely to get another re-entry of this game probably ever, or at least another 20 years later..

They chose to do Throttle after Grim and Dott because it was so much more work than those other two remakes. The game might be shorter but there is a lot more animation in there - meaning a lot more individual frames of animation they need to redraw. It's still a pretty small team doing these remasters (it's a niche genre and Sony sets the budget), so that stuff takes time.

dLMN8R

The game tells you to kick when the meters stop and are aligned. The rest is trial and error, Maureen remembers there being a large crack in the wall so that narrows it down to a few possibilities.

The rest isn't completely trial and error. Tim explains in the commentary and it's definitely not super obvious or great design, but in a backwards way the logic does make sense.

Maureen mentions that the crack was waist height (or at her eye line or something?), so you're looking for something to kick that's underneath that crack.

However, the kicker is that she was still a little kid at the time, so you have to look a little lower than an adult would be looking.

Boem

The rest isn't completely trial and error. Tim explains in the commentary and it's definitely not super obvious or great design, but in a backwards way the logic does make sense.

Maureen mentions that the crack was waist height (or at her eye line or something?), so you're looking for something to kick that's underneath that crack.

However, the kicker is that she was still a little kid at the time, so you have to look a little lower than an adult would be looking.

Yeah that's how I always understood it, even back in the day. The dialogue makes it very clear actually,
she mentions they fact that it was the crack at her eyeline when she was a little kid, and she repeatedly repeats that little kid part. The most obvious visual clue following that are your kneepads, which stand out the most when looking for something at a kid's height.

It's still a bit tricky to find but they really spell out the hints for you in the game repeatedly, it's not random at all. Never really had a problem with it back in the day.

Shoeless

Oh man, I can't believe I finished The Dig without a guide back in the day. Was brutal. What a great experience, though.

This is my 90s shame. I somehow did NOT play the Dig. I really should get around to just picking it up on Steam and taking it for a spin.

With this Full Throttle remaster, played on the PS4, I think I have now officially played all of Tim's games. Nothing to do now but wait for Psychonauts 2. I already tried Rhombus of Ruin on PSVR and enjoyed it for what it was. The writing was still on point and the actors, while sounding a teensy bit different thanks to years since the last game, still more or less sounded the same.

Lime

Played it a couple of weeks ago after it was released and it was glorious to play. Had great fun playing it, but had to consult a walkthrough around the end unfortunately.

Here's some comparisons that I posted in the PC shots thread for those who are interested:

throttle2017-04-2218-bguoo.jpg

throttle2017-04-2218-lpuda.jpg

throttle2017-04-2300-u6u54.jpg

throttle2017-04-2300-zcuxl.jpg

Top Bottom