• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Unreal Engine 4 Elemental demo video running on PS4

Boss Man

I'd almost feel sorry for the sony fan things if their mental gymnastics weren't so fucking amusing.

None of those demo's are in the same fucking galaxy as this tech wise.
Deep Down sure looked a lot more impressive. In fact, it's still the only thing I've seen that really blew me away.

I don't see how that's a "sony fan" thing though. Although I guess I'm sort of becoming a Capcom fanboy lately.

see5harp

The first UE3 demo running on PS3 wasn't all that impressive either. I think if you compared Gears 3 or even a multiplatform title like DMC to someone at that point, you'd probably shit your pants. Next gen will be fine for those who primarly game on console. If anything, PC users should be happy that the bar is finally being raised a bit for PC versions.

Yeah, this is just confirmation :(

For those of you saying it doesn't look a lot worse, here's a comparison Captain Smoker made between the PC demo and the demo that was shown during Sony's event.

ue4.jpg

Man that second screen looks like something I'd expect to run at 60 fps on the last GPU I had.

wow Fox Engine (lighting) just spanked the shit out of Epic's next-gen engine. I don't even want to know what this thing will look like running on the next xbox.

i-Lo

I remember Mark Rein saying that the announcement of the RAM came as a surprise to them and given the dev kits on which this demo was built was not final, perhaps things can improve... perhaps

Particle effects and lighting constitute the main differences between the two versions; they might be the only significant differences. Depth of field is oddly absent in portions of the PS4 demo, which immediately makes it look worse - see the screenshot comparison in AstroZombie's post. The whole demo has also been brightened considerably from the PC version.

Geometry remains apparently unchanged between the two versions, which bodes well.

8 GB of DRR5 ain't gonna make up for the lack of pure processing power.

Noticeable hit in the lightning, IQ, particle effects and framerate. It's sad to think that a card from "early" 2012 has more power than what's coming out on the most powerful next gen platform in late 2013. But price plays a big factor I guess.

I wonder if EPIC will show this running on Durango, we might see another downgrade.

wow Fox Engine just spanked the shit out of Epic's next-gen engine.

No. Just no.

Biggzy

8 GB of DRR5 ain't gonna make up for the lack of pure processing power.

Noticeable hit in the lightning, IQ, particle effects. It's sad to think that a card from "early" 2012 has more power than what's coming out on the most powerful next gen platform in late 2013. But price plays a big factor I guess.

I wonder if EPIC will show this running on Durango, we might see another downgrade.

To be honest that is going to be a bigger deal than a more powerful APU.

I wonder if the beta kits have the ACE changes. If not, that could make a huge difference.

Also, with the increase in ROPs, cant they do some SSAA?

Fear not. There will be stuff on PS4 that will blow the PC away.

Lol trust me, I'm not fearful. KZ Shadow Fall already looks better than anything I've seen on PC so far (besides Battlefield 4), in my opinion. I know for damn sure in a year or 2, stuff on PS4 will be jaw dropping.

If we gonna see something closer as the Infiltrator demo on PS4 (I'm sure we'll see it, at least from teams like Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica) I'll be happy with the graphical jump. Hell I'm already quite happy.

Lol trust me, I'm not fearful. KZ Shadow Fall already looks better than anything I've seen on PC so far (besides Battlefield 4). I know for damn sure in a year or 2, stuff on PS4 will be jaw dropping.

In a year or 2 stuff on PC will continue being jaw dropping. PC is gonna receive a boost from next gen development too.

A PC like architecture on these consoles is gonna be ace for PC versions. And PC versions will always look better, there's no way around it.

This was using the earlier dev kits with 2.2gb of gddr5 right?

They are showing this at GDC, why would they be using the kit with 2.2 gb of GDDR5?!

But seeing how the Unreal demo looks, I'm more convinced that the Deep Down thing was an elaborate Bullshot.
Nah, Unreal has always looked and ran like shit on consoles. Gears and Batman(and to a extent Mass effect) are the only good looking games on consoles, everything else is mostly shit IMO. No hyperbole.

flippedb

Banned
Guys, look at that screenshot! I can't believe you're not seeing what I am. Everything looks different! On PC, the castle looks like it's made out of stone, not melted wax like on PS4. Captain Smoker's armour looks completely different, same with the entrance arch.

Let's not even mention the particle effects. It's night and day difference.

In a year or 2 stuff on PC will continue being jaw dropping. PC is gonna receive a boost from next gen development too.

A PC like architecture on these consoles is gonna be ace for PC versions. And PC versions will always look better, there's no way around it.

Of course, no problem with that :)

damisa

But makes you wonder why Sony would greenlight showing a demo that looks substantially worse on PS4 than the PC counterpart.

Every PC/PS4 multiplat game will look better on a high end PC. PC will always look the best unless they do a horrid job porting, and even then PC will probably look better due to brute force.

nib95

Banned

They are showing this at GDC, why would they be using the kit with 2.2 gb of GDDR5?!

Looks like the same demo they showed at the reveal no? On my mobile with poor signal, video isn't loading too well.

i-Lo

What's going really funny is if the same thing is demoed again on XB3 and given their steadiness in target specs, which should be reflected in their dev kits, and it looks better.

Sid

Guys, look at that screenshot! I can't believe you're not seeing what I am. Everything looks different! On PC, the castle looks like it's made out of stone, not melted wax like on PS4. Captain Smoker's armour looks completely different, same with the entrance arch.

Let's not even mention the particle effects. It's night and day difference.
Seriously it's an epic downgrade.Curious to see how it'll run on the next Xbox.

Looks like the same demo they showed at the reveal no? On my mobile with poor signal, video isn't loading too well.

The video they showed during Sony conference wasn't running on PS4 I believe. But someone will have to check on that, I'm not sure.

Tratorn

First bummer since the ps4-reveal.
Is there a chance that SVOGI will be added later again, when they learn more about the ps4/720 and optimize it? So maybe it could return with UE 4.5?

And could it be that the 720 "is to blame", if the rumours about its GPU is correct?

B.O.O.M

Doesn't look like they made any changes even looking at the sections we saw at the PS4 reveal.

andycapps

Looks pretty good considering the console is over half a year away from release and that tools and engines will be refined. The console isn't even out yet, and people are already saying graphics are disappointing for an in development engine. I love GAF sometimes.

orioto

Good Art™
Every PC/PS4 multiplat game will look better on a high end PC. PC will always look the best unless they do a horrid job porting, and even then PC will probably look better due to brute force.

Yeah but indeed this is pretty bad in that case cause this demo screams "see all those nice shaders we have for next gen ? Well, they are not really running well on our console!"

When everyone with some lucidity knows that some PS4 games in 2 or 3 years will shit all over that demo. It's there to use the maximum power for things like particles etc.. when a smart graphic team will output something more impressive with 3 times less resources..

that's pretty much obvious, isn't it?
who's saying that the pc version DOESN'T look better? that's how it works, pc versions will always look better. always have, always will.
meanwhile, trying to say that this isn't impressive and looks bad is, honestly, mind-boggling. it's meant to give you a glimpse of next-gen potential. graphics will improve, and consoles will still have exclusives that won't appear on pc.
what this demo shows me is that we're gonna have some great games on consoles visually, and i'm perfectly fine with knowing that some of those exclusive games will look great.

FroJay

Banned
The GTX680 version definitely looks better, that doesn't mean the PS4 version doesn't look good/decent, but it was clear to me as soon as I watched the video. Still picking up a PS4 regardless, but it would be nice if they could up the Tflops a bit to add in more power.

Top Bottom