• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Furious Foodies Call Brooklyn Pizza Festival The 'Fyre Festival' Of NYC Food Events

norm9

http://gothamist.com/2017/09/11/pizza_festival_bushwick.php#photo-1

d7bd23884pizza_5-jpg-mobile.jpeg

Hungry pizza lovers, some of whom spent $75 each to attend the New York City Pizza Festival, are demanding refunds for what they're calling a "total scam" that had them waiting over an hour to enter a "shady parking lot" for empty tents and barely any food. And there's a familiar name attached to Saturday's widely panned event: the organizer is allegedly one Ishmael Osekre, the man behind last summer's "EPIC DISASTER" African Food Festival.

"It was like the people from Fyre Festival decided to throw a pizza party," quipped Connell Burke about the Pizza Festival, referencing the infamous luxury festival that promised supermodels and Ja Rule and instead delivered disaster relief tents and slices of cheese, and an indefinite stay on a Bahamian island.

"It was my girlfriend's birthday so I got the VIP tickets, so I spent $150 total for the two tickets," Burke told Gothamist. "There's three pop-up tents to my left, one where they're taking cold pizzas out of delivery boxes and cutting them. Those pictures don't do it justice, because they look like they're normal-sized plates but they're actually cake-sized, like what you'd use for cake at a children's birthday party. They're small, tiny little slivers of pizza."

The event, which took place in a parking lot on Flushing Avenue in Bushwick, was promoted as a "day long celebration of the dough, cheese, tasty sauces and delicious toppings." But attendees report they were greeted with "pizza...smaller than a sample size," according to one person on Facebook. "Cold and tasted awful."

"Total shit don't spend your money if you haven't yet, and if you have get a refund," festival guest Oscar Mendoza posted to Facebook. "Three small tents are here, paid $75 for a slice of pizza smaller then my palm."

21430552_992738154270_5004130556004658974_n.jpg

"We came up all the way from DC and all we got was this slice," attendee Chip Shannon said of the above photo.

"This is bullshit! The fact that my friend and I spent 55 dollars each for such a shitty event like this unbelievable!" another said on Facebook. "All we got was warm red wine that tasted like ass!"

Last August, Osekre organized the African Food Festival, which attendees also called a scam, saying there were only a handful of the promised "24+" chefs and vendors. To make matters worse, the Festival was staged inside the Duggal Greenhouse in the middle of a heatwave, with no air conditioning and prices for a bottle of water running between $3 - $5.

Update: Eric Schneiderman, New York Attorney General, has opened an inquiry into the New York Pizza Festival and alleged organizer Ishmael Osekre.

I didn't think it was possible to mess up pizza, but here we are. Check out the linked article for more hilarious new york style 'za pictures. The sad state of this brooklyn pizza festival made me laugh out loud.

Order me a cheese and onion pizza if old.

nded

Man, how do you fuck up a pizza festival in NY except on purpose?

All the attendees could probably have just agreed to show up somewhere and each spend $55 on pizza and drinks and had a better time than this.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Man, how do you fuck up a pizza festival in NY except on purpose?

All the attendees could probably have just agreed to show up somewhere and each spend $55 on pizza and drinks and had a better time than this.

But that seems like a reason to not even bother with attending a pizza festival too.

Shadybiz

Oh wow...thought the first picture was bad. Then, I saw the actual size of the plates.

These people should obviously get full refunds for this bullshit.

iammeiam

Oh my god it gets even better later in the article:
To make matters worse, the event organizers also appeared to have sold tickets to a "Hamburger Festival," that was scheduled for the same exact time and place as the Pizza Festival. That event promised "mountains of french fries, oceans of ketchup and waterfalls of beer," with admission prices ranging between $35 and $69.
"This was a rotten scam, they promoted this as a pizza festival and a hamburger festival. People who arrived early said there were about 5 pies cut into micro slices of really bad pizza. There were no hamburgers!" reads a Facebook group called Pizza Festival Scam Victims started to organize attendees looking for their money back. "Clearly this is a scam and the organizers should be held accountable."

So like

the pizza people got the better end of the deal

w o w

There seems to be a flood of these crappy food festival scams recently. Portland had a 'Taco Festival' a few weeks ago that ran out of tacos less than a day in.

I have to wonder if this is just the same generation of shitty, idiotic wannabe businessmen starting up these events with zero planning - funded by an equally incompetent generation of VC funding.

Lol

There are failed food festivals like this every few months in Toronto, they go viral on Facebook and them people show up to an overcrowded venue with minimal way overpriced food

otapnam

Surprised none of the local pizzerias got wind of the scam to shut it down. Sucks for those that got fooled, what a con

Azure J

Tourists and transplants spending $75 to eat pizza in fucking Brooklyn, of all places

My body can't produce enough laughter

Literally everything about this is fucking HILARIBAD as a Brooklyn native. The price tag, the fact that somehow they assembled the Exodia of people who don't know how to make pizzas in fucking Brooklyn, the idea of people doing this vs. buying like 2-3 pies each and chillin in Prospect Park...

Fuckery Central lmao

The worst part is... there is really no reason why they couldn't have done this legit and still made a really respectable amount of money. Pizza is super cheap to make, and if you're promoting local pizza places, of which there are many in brooklyn, it shouldn't have been that hard to get a lot of pizzas on the cheap.

shira

There seems to be a flood of these crappy food festival scams recently. Portland had a 'Taco Festival' a few weeks ago that ran out of tacos less than a day in.

I have to wonder if this is just the same generation of shitty, idiotic wannabe businessmen starting up these events with zero planning - funded by an equally incompetent generation of VC funding.
I blame Buzzfeed and their $5-$200 food videos.

What where they expecting allyoucaneat kobe beef caviar pizza??

How could you possibly get a return on a $75 ticket when pizza costs like $1-2 worth of ingredients to make

devilhawk

Surprised none of the local pizzerias got wind of the scam to shut it down. Sucks for those that got fooled, what a con
Let's be real, 90% of the people that go to these festivals would have been content with a fake pizza and a dumb mural on the warehouse wall to stand in front of just so they could take an instagram photo.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The worst part is... there is really no reason why they couldn't have done this legit and still made a really respectable amount of money. Pizza is super cheap to make, and if you're promoting local pizza places, of which there are many in brooklyn, it shouldn't have been that hard to get a lot of pizzas on the cheap.

I know right. Order like one decent full pie for every customer and maybe one cheap box of wine for every 3 people. That's probably like 20 bucks a head max. Plus the leftovers can feed the staff and the rest can go to a soup kitchen.

norm9

I honestly don't get why people go to these things(legit ones). Endless mobs of people. I don't need to eat dinner or drink beer in the center of a rock concert crowd.

It's supposed to be a shared experience with friends and sample different food while perhaps meeting new people. And a prime selfie/food taking opportunity.

I'd never do something like this(obviously not this one, but a legit one) because my stomach can't handle too many different types of food at once.

Top Bottom