• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Furry-GAF

Tarazet

Isn't this true of a lot of fringe communities? Most of them are either sausagefests or the female equivalent. There are few obscure communities that have something like a 50/50 ratio.

I'm trying to think of what kinds of communities you would be comparing us to. Drawing a bit of a blank.

Tarazet

This is pretty much the sum total of the clean art I've saved. Let's just say I'm not in the fandom for the aesthetics. I liked these though, for different reasons. Maybe a little suggestive, but clean.

cEVXO.jpg

1AdgJ.png

tgMSr.jpg

kyABU.jpg

3lcu4.jpg

FlXh0.jpg

ReaeN.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm trying to think of what kinds of communities you would be comparing us to. Drawing a bit of a blank.
Trekkies?

Video games?

Although Anime conventions are often fairly balanced between the sexes, the interests of the female group don't really overlap with the interests of the male group. Except in cases of hugely popular stuff like Naruto.

Tarazet

Trekkies?

Video games?

Although Anime conventions are often fairly balanced between the sexes, the interests of the female group don't really overlap with the interests of the male group. Except in cases of hugely popular stuff like Naruto.

Well, I can only comment on Trekkie or anime conventions from a position of ignorance, so I won't go there. Are they really as sexualized as the furry culture is? I believe the folks who say they aren't attracted to furry stuff, but I think they're more than likely in the minority. By contrast, I think the typical anime fan probably doesn't have any particular fetish for the characters involved.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Well, I can only comment on Trekkie or anime conventions from a position of ignorance, so I won't go there. Are they really as sexualized as the furry culture is? I believe the folks who say they aren't attracted to furry stuff, but I think they're more than likely in the minority. By contrast, I think the typical anime fan probably doesn't have any particular fetish for the characters involved.

I've been to a few Trek, mixed sci-fi, and mixed sci-anime cons in California - though it was it the early 2000s and not today.

Back then at least, I'd say that fans can be and are, yes, very attached to characters and it's fairly common. Sexualized? It's a fuzzy line because there's already plenty of sexualized stuff that people never raised an eyebrow at because it was taken for granted. How many fantasy conventions have strapping fantasy warrior guys with "leather" overtones or "fantasy battle maidens"? Then anime is full of fan service and cheesecake.

Generally, I've found the philosophical rule is this:

Your stuff is always "okay" because you're on the inside and you "understand what it's really like". It's all the OTHER groups are are freakin' weirdos and probably sick - ha ha... ha. Ahem.

I'd say that the furry group is a lot more blatant about it cuz a lot of it was severely tinted by certain pools of culture in California during its formative days. The thing is, my personal suspicion is that there's plenty of people in other groups, like anime and sci-fi, who have all the personal kinks a lot of furries do. But they enjoy more of a cover story as scifi, star trek, and even anime has a lot more mainstream, professional works for fans to hold up and say "this is what we're about".

I will say, that I was at a sci-fantasy con in 1998 in San Jose, dominated by trekkies, and the Klingons made furries look pathetic by ALL counts. One night around 2am, I ran into a troupe of drunken Klingons wearing a combination of battle / leather gear, being led by collars with chains by a stern looking woman with a sword and leather gloves and purple hair.

The next day, more Klingons marched through the convention center with, yes, an actual fursuit from SOME furry person who was there. Suit swinging by the limbs, tied to a log, as the Klingons banged drums and sang about how well they were going to eat that night.

Furries do not phase me.

Haly

Oh I'm not talking about sexualization, just sex ratio between male and female fans.

Tarazet

Oh I'm not talking about sexualization, just sex ratio between male and female fans.

I got what you were saying. I was just wondering out loud whether the groups were comparable, because I don't really know them well enough. I know furries since I've been in that community since I was a teen.

Haly

Now that I think about it they're probably not. I guess being a furry fan has a lot of sexual connotations other fandoms lack (or at least, sex isn't the primary focus).

But then you get rule 34 and the lines kind of blur.

Tarazet

Now that I think about it they're probably not. I guess being a furry fan has a lot of sexual connotations other fandoms lack (or at least, sex isn't the primary focus).

For the most part, Rule 34 stuff gets labeled as furry. Most furs don't seem to mind. It's not like we have a reputation to keep up. Personally, I'd just as soon be without it. The media worship gets tiring to me.

Uchip

Banned

thats an understatement
the ammount of artwork i actually save is around 1 per month
and not because theyre mostly poorly drawn, its because most of it features bizzare sex orgies

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why are you posting kemonomimi stuff in a furry thread? Go make your own catgirl thread or something.

Lucario

Is there a name for this style of professionally produced, purposely ugly anthro art? Because I've always been a huge fan, especially this picture:

u7zje.jpg

it just ends up looking like an awesome political caricature, and I think I remember seeing a TON more of it somewhere else.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
what you're posting is closer to animal
what im posting is closer to human
deal with it!

edit: I did warn you!

Furries are anthropomorphic animals though, not kemonomimi! Even Japan knows to separate them!

Is there a name for this style of professionally produced anthro art? Because I've always been a huge fan, especially this picture

There's no specific name to it, but the inspiration of Brian Talbot to do Grandville, Jean Ignace Isidore Gerard, did do a lot of it and somehow associated with it.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
What's the term for it? I've heard furry and scalie, but I can't think of any convenient term for that subgroup... of course, I can't think of one for avian fans either. Is there a reference guide to all this somewhere?
arthros.

okay, i made that up.

ctually that brings up a question; are monster girls furry? [lamias, harpies, slimes, etc]

bengraven

“Whoever lies with an animal shall be put to death" - Exodus 22:19
"Whoever lies with an animal-girl-man-hybrid in their dreams shall be mocked on the internet" - Exodus 22:20

Top Bottom