• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Furry-GAF

I came into this thread, because I was curious and I figured there'd be a lot of MLP hate going on. Nice to see I was wrong.

Furries just weird me out more than anything else. The only thing I really hate (aside, maybe, the extreme side of the subculture) is that social stigma against anything with anthropomorphic animals. Like Darkwing Duck? You're a furry! Think Jon Talbain is an awesome character and enjoy playing as him? Furry. Like the Sly Cooper games? Furry. And of course, fans of MLP? Well you must be sick furries.

And I really don't know why exactly, but I tend to have a strong distaste for most anthro art (your stuff is good though Plex, I have no problem with that). Mostly the "fursona" and stuff on places like Furaffinity where, maybe it's just me, but I get that whole "this is my fetish" vibe from the art (and I tend to have a strong disdain for "fetish art").

Never met a furry IRL, so I can't share any experiences. But maybe that's why I have this polarizing moral dilemma about furries. I hate the extreme stuff and feel uncomfortable even with the "mild" harmless stuff, but at the same time, I can clearly see there's nothing wrong with the more casual furry and that I shouldn't be bothered. But I am, ugh, why?

Lucario

I came into this thread, because I was curious and I figured there'd be a lot of MLP hate going on. Nice to see I was wrong.

No, but there's another thread for that on the front page if you're interested! e.e

Never met a furry IRL, so I can't share any experiences. But maybe that's why I have this polarizing moral dilemma about furries. I hate the extreme stuff and feel uncomfortable even with the "mild" harmless stuff, but at the same time, I can clearly see there's nothing wrong with the more casual furry and that I shouldn't be bothered. But I am, ugh, why?

Honestly, I might catch some hate for this from furs, but..... there's nothing wrong with being grossed out by it, as long as you don't go around telling everyone you're grossed out by it/trolling furries all the time. It's that simple.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think if the Internet existed back in the early 90s, well, to the extent it does now, I probably would have become a furry. When I was five I used to pretend I was a cat...like, to the point I had a little tail, cat-ear hair-band, and I'd climb around the couch, crawl on all fours, etc. It was pretty fun, actually. I remember some other similar behaviors like pretending I was a beaver while at the swimming pool (hey, I loved Angry Beavers) and using those Davy Crockett clip-on raccoon tails to pretend I was Tails. :0

Anyway, I don't have anything to add on the debate about Furries really, but when I was little at least, pretending to be an animal was fucking awesome.

Emitan

What the the average "furry" fan, whether they're a member of the furry subculture or not, finds interesting, cool, appealing, is an exotic humanoid. It's the Aliens Are Not Furries So I'm Safe thing - it's cool to like "aliens" but if the alien head starts to look too much like a regular wolf, watch out!
THAT'S NOT TRUE!

THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

mik83kuu

Banned
Has there ever been any evidence of non-ugly furries? I mean the furry fans, not the "characters". I was just wondering if this is just a way to hide their ugly mugs behind paint and fake fur.

G-Fex

Has there ever been any evidence of non-ugly furries? I mean the furry fans, not the "characters". I was just wondering if this is just a way to hide their ugly mugs behind paint and fake fur.

there used to be videos of these gorgeous blonde russian girls who dressed up in bear outfits.

http://deadspin.com/5306275/the-new-york-mets-have-a-furry-run+in-on-road-trip

I will never forget that series in Pittsburgh in 2009 where the Mets were booked in the same hotel Anthrocon was going on. Good fucking Lord... Kevin Burkhardt was never the same.

http://twitter.com/#!/KBurkhardtSNY/status/2429493570

"I just took a picture with a person who was dressed like Ralph Wigam as a Beaver. I will try to put this on Twitter tomorrow - oh I will try"

Picture_16.png

The NeoGAF MLB Thread where we discuused it as it happened LOL!

Tarazet

Greetings Furry Denizens of GAF!

So...how did you become a furry?

Interest in dragons when I was a teen. A little bit of sniffing around on Yahoo and Usenet led me in directions that I liked very much.

What is your fursona?

Black 'feral' (four legged) dragon.

How do you feel about this Vanity Fair article?

Pleasures of the Fur

Are you a plushie?

I have some stuffed animals, but they're just stuffed animals.

Now, does being a furry free up your sexual identity? Does gender matter as much as the fursuit?

Gender matters. I prefer dealing with males.

Was it StarFox, Super Mario Bros. 3 or Disney's Robin Hood that was the main thrust in your furry awakening?

No. I was exposed to all three, but I think the interest just grew out of thinking about how animals live. They walk on the same globe as us and are biologically very similar, but our social structure is different and we've gotten away from what made us what we are. It's that fascination that pushed me to explore that difference in culture and find a community that shared that interest. As to where that ties in with dragons: in mythology, dragons are often portrayed as highly intelligent, but lonely and reclusive. If you bring dragon-types into the menagerie, though, the dynamics are interesting.

Kraftwerk

Tarazet is a furry.....mind blown

Would you like to get together sometime? I will play some great piano masterpieces for you, by the fireplace, while you sip on some bourbon. All this with us both dressed as dragons, caressing each others tails. 'swoon'

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan

Would you like to get together sometime? I will play some great piano masterpieces for you, by the fireplace, while you sip on some bourbon. All this with us both dressed as dragons, caressing each others tails. 'swoon'

You can play the piano?

CHEEZMO™;33292707 said:
That's amazing.

Cant decypher half the shit in that thread though.
It is a baseball thread from two years ago.

bye.gif

Kraftwerk

CHEEZMO™;33293286 said:
You can play the piano?

Not me, one of my butlers. One of them can play it very well, his fursona is a giant Walrus. I will be too busy caressing Tarazet' tail.

rpg_poser

As to where that ties in with dragons: in mythology, dragons are often portrayed as highly intelligent, but lonely and reclusive. If you bring dragon-types into the menagerie, though, the dynamics are interesting.

What would you say dragon personas (fursonas?) add? Something like Chinese zodiac dragons, which are reclusive, but stomp around and lay waste when angered? I am genuinely curious.

Tarazet

Not me, one of my butlers. One of them can play it very well, his fursona is a giant Walrus. I will be too busy caressing Tarazet' tail.

Thanks, but I'm taken and have been for years.

What would you say dragon personas (fursonas?) add? Something like Chinese zodiac dragons, which are reclusive, but stomp around and lay waste when angered? I am genuinely curious.

In my experience, usually bright and bullish personalities with a lot of charisma and warmth, as long as it's among friends. Sometimes ironically shy.

Lucario

CHEEZMO™;33294062 said:
Not viking; Dragonbo- ... wait a minute...!

My reaction to skyrim's character creation process:
"Fuck. I'm a cat with dragon heritage. This is the most unoriginal fursona ever."

depths20XX

I don't get the fur suits. The blank stares on the mask part just make it seem weird to me. I guess it's more feasible than doing body paint or whatever the alternative would be though.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Wait, your avatar isn't just stolen from something? That's your sona?

Damn good art.

Noooo, it's someone elses but I love the picture (and character) so much :3

I don't really have a sona, not my jazz.

Edit: Behold my SFW cropping skillz

gnuxL.jpg

HHHHNNNNNGGG Obsi <3

Top Bottom