• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future Nintendo Switch Titles

Nesther

The main things I want we're most likely getting, Animal Crossing and Pikmin 4.

Other than that a new 2D Zelda.

And a Retro game that combines Donkey Kong 64 with Diddy Kong Racing.

HeatBoost

So has Nintendo ever confirmed that they're trying to publish one major release per month?

March (Launch): Zelda
April: Mario Kart
June: Arms
July: Splatoon
August: Super XCOM Bros VS Rabbids
September: Pokken
October: Mario

So is this like... gonna be a thing going forward? Are they trying to put their best foot forward for the release window? What could come out in November/December if it is a an ongoing concern? Maybe the Smash port and Fire Emblem Warriors?

In terms of what I actually want that isn't announced yet... a new game from Sakurai. A new Warioware. Beyond that, new IP in general. I dont really care that much about Animal Crossing/Kid Icarus/F-Zero/Fire Emblem/Whatever that I need a new one of those (although if they make a compelling case, I can become interested)

So has Nintendo ever confirmed that they're trying to publish one major release per month?

March (Launch): Zelda
April: Mario Kart
June: Arms
July: Splatoon
August: Super XCOM Bros VS Rabbids
September: Pokken
October: Mario

So is this like... gonna be a thing going forward? Are they trying to put their best foot forward for the release window? What could come out in November/December if it is a an ongoing concern? Maybe the Smash port and Fire Emblem Warriors?

Hypothetically:

November: FE Warriors
December: Xenoblade
January: Yoshi
February: Kirby

ft949.jpg

Still waiting for Animal Crossing.
The wait won't feel so bad when Stardew Valley releases on the switch, with co-op.

Since a lot of people are covering most of the staples...

Cruis'n Blast - The heavy lifting has already been done. The arcade impressions seem pretty positive. They could add online, a few more tracks and exclusive vehicles. Would make for a good Q1 release.

New Itagaki action game - When asked about a Switch project on Facebook, he said he couldn't say anything because of NDA stuff. (2018-2019?)

Something from ND Cube - Probably Mario Party. Seems like a pretty sound bet.

Waverace - From Monster games or someone else.

Fatal Frame VI, probably with a port of Fatal Frame V. Seems likely with the inclusion of costumes in Knights of Azure 2.

Project from Gung-Ho - It's an action game they've been kicking around for 5 or so years. Shinobu spinoff or maybe they're just talking about No More Heroes 3.

Zero chance there is another 3D mario on this system

Why would the switch, which is combining the software of their portable and home console systems, get fewer 3D Mario titles than the combined total of their previous portable and home console? Hell, even the Wii got two and they still had to support the DS at the same time.

MoonFrog

Three biggest desires (but five games) from Nintendo itself:

Firstly:

Metroid Prime 4 (yay! this is announced)
Metroid 5

For Prime 4: Prime 1 style overall gameflow (i.e. go through zones irregularly, largely gadget puzzle/traversal gating) with individual rooms surpassing the best in Echoes. Set on a gorgeous and varied planet with intriguing alien life and ruins.

For Metroid 5: A direct sequel to Fusion that takes its cues from Super Metroid rather than that game or its more egregious follow-up.

Secondly:

A two game Fire Emblem saga that has far greater ambitions for its story/character/world than the excessively low ambitions of the 3DS games in these respects.

Give me better politics and better war that is better explicated. The 3DS games are intentionally mindless fluff with only a tenuous thread connecting the ill-conceived events that occur within them. Let Fire Emblem be nerdy and "boring" again. I'm not asking for brilliance, I'm asking for basic respectability and competence. I really hope that after Fates they see the story complaints and realize that this "manga" approach was not the way to take the franchise.

I'd also hope they'd tone down the abject ridiculousness, to which the character design has succumbed. Fire Emblem was able to have a plethora of cute girls before they started having to ride horses (and scaly wyverns!) in their panties.

Also, I really hope they step back on the whole breeding game thing unless generations actually have a meaningful, well thought-out place in the story, like they had in, say, FE4. If they feel they need to keep the avatar...okay, I'll live but I hope they release support from the shackles of this shipping game.

Fates Conquest was a really refreshing game from a combat/map perspective. I'm so glad I can say that. It also, however, could've been a really refreshing perspective on tried and true Fire Emblem themes and stories--much like the opportunity Ike presented, by virtue of putting the lord in the evil, aggressive country with the demonic king--and it wasn't.

Thirdly:

Another Zelda game, which is the aLttP to BotW's LoZ. I want more gadgets that transform traversal and less "stamina is king." I want meatier, more plentiful, more varied dungeons. I want more internal areas period.

The other thing they really need to do is make combat less isolated and more meaningful. I found myself mostly avoiding it for most of the game as it tended to be out of the way from the meaningful objectives (i.e. the shrines). A sequel to BotW needs more set pieces like the first time up Zora River or Hyrule Castle and it needs them to be in your way. Dungeons and caves could help with this.

Other things from Nintendo:

SMO; Aonuma's Sheik stealth game idea; a new 2D Mario with a cool new look and music and a better, more engaging world map a la SMW; Captain Toad sequel; SSB5; just generally a wide variety of new and old IP hitting all those Nintendo sweet-spots.

From third parties:

From Atlus:

SMTV, P5P, EOVI (or a successor series), the new fantasy project, P6, anything else they come out with.

From SE:

DQXI, Project: Octopath Traveler, all future medium budget/experimental tiles (thinking the NieRs, BDs, IaSs of the world), DQXII (DQXI is a new beginning, clearly turn-around will be almost NES-like again! :p)

From Capcom:

Great Ace Attorney 1+2 pack, localized; Investigations 1+2 pack, localized; a new Takumi adventure game, potentially a series

From Konami:

Castlevania GBA/DS series returns

From Platinum:

Platinum :p

From Japan in general:

Strong support that surprises my expectations and sates my desires :).

I really hate the idea of spin-offs galore after this great first year. I'm sorry to say but I think many of your ideas sound creatively bankrupt.

Nintendo has also said they plan on asking their developers for more new IPs, so I'm hoping to see more new ideas like Arms being pushed and published by Nintendo for Switch in the future.
I don't think spin-offs are inherently bad. It depends on the quality of them. Also, I find my suggestions a lot more interesting than the much larger amount of spin-offs we've received since the N64 days. Let's not forget Mario golf, Mario tennis, Mario strikers, Mario Parties, 2 Mario rpgs, cheap multiplayer Metroid spin-offs, Zelda Crossbow training, Mario Pinball, Metroid Pinball, Pokemon Puzzle spin-offs, Pokemon mystery dungeon spin-offs, Pokemon Conquest, Pokemon Ranger, Happy Home Designer, Amiibo Festival, etc. that have all been done in previous generations.

I agree with the OP that there's a chance for them to finally tackle some long-ignored IP once this two year run comes to an end, but then you go and start listing off a bunch of sequels and spin-offs, lol. Spin-offs are the one thing they need to ignore. It's seen as low-quality content by pretty much everyone. When they did Triforce Heroes and Federation Force, no one was happy and no one bought the games. New ideas should have new IP.

Anyway, Zelda team and Mario Odyssey team will immediately be working on sequels. I feel like everyone else is fair game to do whatever and I hope they branch out.

As for 2D Zelda, I just replayed Link Between Worlds over the past 3 days and while it is playable as hell, I can't lie - I just want more Breath of the Wild and if a 2D Zelda gets in the way of that I wouldn't be happy.

Spin-offs aren't as terrible as you make it out to be. Cheap spin-offs are bad such as the ones you listed. For example, a Splatoon based Rhythm RPG that borrows elements from other dead rhythm ips such as EBA and Electroplankton would be a good thing. I enjoyed both of those titles but they were new ips that didn't do well enough to warrant sequels. If like to see a Rhythm game that revives elements from those series and use Splatoon. Splatoon is a rather large and untapped universe. I don't think we will see a Splatoon 3 which is why is like to see another game using the Splatoon core mechanics but a different way to use those mechanics.

As for the Zelda series, Aonuma has confirmed that the 2D Zelda team works independently of the 3D Zelda team. He said he was trying to push them and even showed off a 2D version of BotW. So 2D Zelda is happening. The team working on BotW was large and required a lot of work in large part because of the engine. BotW was done bring developed by the end of 2016. While not likely, I'd like to see Aonumas division split into four projects after BotW. 2D Zelda team, which hasn't released a game since AlBW, releases a new title in 2018. BotW team is split into BotW DLC/new 3D Zelda team, Sheik spin-off, and New ip. Sheik spin off uses BotW engine to create a new 20 hour adventure featuring Sheik. Gameplay is similar to BotW but modified to fit Sheik's character. Also smaller and more linear than BotW. Game releases Holiday 2019. New ip based around a thief with Stealth gameplay also uses the BotW engine. Single player Stealth Action-Adventure title that lasts about 25-30 hours. Releases in 2020. DLC team quietly works on concepts and establishes the theme, style, story, gameplay and structure of the new 3D Zelda. Also uses a heavily upgraded BotW engine(think WW to TP). Major changes from BotW is updated art style, weapons, combat, enemies, new Botw-sized world. As well as making 75 Shrine like levels that can be played with multiple players online or local. Once the other teams complete their projects, they begin developing for 3D Zelda with the aim being Holiday 2021.

I'm almost more curious about what hardware is gonna come than the games.

Right now I'm imagining

Metroid Prime 4 Joycons: Neon Orange

Metroid Prime 4 Pro Controller: Neon Orange and Neon Yellow grips, clear black body with Samus' S logo in the center and little Metroids imprinted around it (like the Squids on the Splatoon Pro Controller)
I'd like to see Smash Bros launch with Neon Orange and GameCube Indigo pair. Have the GameCube Indigo one be the right attachment and have ABXY configured like the GameCube with the same color scheme as well.

Three biggest desires (but five games) from Nintendo itself:
I like a lot of your ideas. Personally, I hope 2D Metroid changes things up a fair bit while still maintaining its core identity established in Super Metroid. Also as you said we are long over due for Metroid 5. Hopefully the setting is more interesting as Fusion and Other M were way too similar with Other M doubling down on the things people didn't like about Fusion.

Also if we are goiing into 3rd party request mode. Platinum developed 3 (4, if you count Bayo 1 port) titles for Wii U and Bayonetta was added to Smash. Like the Capcom 5, I'd like to see something like the Platinum 6:

Bayonetta 3- Switch Exclusive

Wonderful 102- Switch Exclusive starring Viewtiful Joe as the 102nd character. Platinum, Capcom and Nintendo worked out a deal that Capcom gets licensing fees for doing nothing other than borrowing its character.

Okami 3- Switch Exclusive game developed by Platinum with Capcom getting license fees which Nintendo pay for.

Sailor Moon- Switch temporary exclusive with a PS4 release 9 months later. Action game starring the Sailor Scouts plot goes through a number of SM plots.

Avatar: The Last Airbender- large ambitious title based on Wan, the first Airbender. Serious effort put into this title unlike the previous Avatar title they released. Has a larger adventure feel to it. Released on Switch and PS4 at the same time.

Metal Gear Rising 2- releases on PS4, XB1 and Switch.

I just want:

Pikmin
2D Metroid
Donkey Kong Country
Kid Icarus (followup to Uprising)

Pikmin 4 is still happening according to Miyamoto, so there's that.

I would totally play a Mario Sunshine sequel to be honest, especially if they were able to integrate some of the gameplay from Splatoon into FLUDD 2.0

marmoka

Banned
My wet dream is a Futurama and Metroid crossover.

Mom joins forces with the Master Giant Brain to conquer the universe. Omicronians and Ridley join the Alliance. Of course, they want to make use of the metroids.

Fry, Leela and Bender join forces with Samus Aran to stop them. Each character has its own power suit and habilities.

Obvious final boss: Mom Brain

I don't know if a Metroidvania would work here, but an action-adventure game would be fine for me.

Please Groening, Cohen and Ninty, make it happen!!

Robin64

Honestly, I am just waiting for Animal Crossing. 500+ hours on the 3DS game, no regrets.
Anything else is icing.

Wii U, Wii, GC, N64, SNES all had one big Mario game

don't see why the Switch would be different, Nintendo is likely already starting R&D on the next system due out in 4 years

Besides the fact the Wii had 2 3D Marios plus 1 2D Mario, and the Wii U had 1 3D Mario, 1 2D Mario, and Mario Maker, Nintendo is only developing for one platform right now. Wasn't the case before. It's more likely we will see more Mario games on the Switch than previous systems.

TZchassis

Besides the fact the Wii had 2 3D Marios plus 1 2D Mario, and the Wii U had 1 3D Mario, 1 2D Mario, and Mario Maker, Nintendo is only developing for one platform right now. Wasn't the case before. It's more likely we will see more Mario games on the Switch than previous systems.
I think what further supports this argument is that 3D Mario have branched into two styles of gameplay. I hope that they revisit the linear, multiplayer-focused approach after Odyssey.

I think what further supports this argument is that 3D Mario have branched into two styles of gameplay. I hope that they revisit the linear, multiplayer-focused approach after Odyssey.

I forgot about Galaxy 2, that started out as an expansion though. I also don't consider the 2D Mario titles to be the same AAA level as a 3D Mario game

Danneee

If we're free to fantasize I'll throw this out there:

Ice Hockey, 4 players.

Edit: 6 PLAYERS! Or why stop there, 8 players!

Not counting titles already confirmed for the Switch, here are my top picks:

1. F-Zero

2. Golden Sun

3. Kid Icarus

4. Donkey Kong

I know we're getting Smash Bros. that goes without saying

I feel you will see the following games over the lifetime of Switch.

Smash, animal crossing, Pokemon, Star fox, FE, Luigi Mansion, Cruisin, Mario Maker, Mario party, paper Mario, 2d Zelda, Castlevania, and a sports game by Nintendo either wave race, 1080, or Mario strikers.

Some of these games will be deluxe version or HD remakes.

Can Nintendo keep up one big exclusive release every month?

I don't see why not, especially if they have the occasional noteworthy 3rd party release (like Minecraft or Skyrim) as a substitute. Their current line up already takes them up to March of next year, and it's a safe assumption that quite a few 2018 titles are yet to be announced.

I forgot about Galaxy 2, that started out as an expansion though. I also don't consider the 2D Mario titles to be the same AAA level as a 3D Mario game
You're also not acknowledging that the Switch is combining their portable and home console development onto one system. This would be the first time Nintendo's portable and home console system(s) didn't get at least two 3D Mario games since Nintendo has started making handhelds capable of 3D.

Donkey Kong Country (SNES) Trilogy remake as a bundle with the original physics/artstyle.

Gimmie it with either redrawn HD sprites or redone faithfully with the current DKCR engine and I'll be a happy man.

don't see why the Switch would be different, Nintendo is likely already starting R&D on the next system due out in 4 years

In addition to what everyone has already said, Nintendo now has 4 kinds of Mario games, and I would be willing to bet one of each, at least, will show up on Switch:

3D Mario [Linear]
3D Mario [Adventure]
2D Mario
Mario Maker

But when you consider that between 3DS and Wii U there were 2 3D Mario games, 2 2D Mario games, and 2 Mario Maker games, and the Switch is both of those teams now working on one platform, Switch could rain Mario games during its lifetime.

You're also not acknowledging that the Switch is combining their portable and home console development onto one system. This would be the first time Nintendo's portable and home console system(s) didn't get at least two 3D Mario games since Nintendo has started making handhelds capable of 3D.

aren't you assuming that Nintendo is going to completely kill off the mobile only hardware line, I'm guessing Nintendo is working a successor to the 3DS

Honestly, I'd love a Galaxy 3 in the vein of the first Galaxy, which was more of a combination of open areas, wide linear areas, and linear. It was the perfect balance.

aren't you assuming that Nintendo is going to completely kill off the mobile only hardware line, I'm guessing Nintendo is working a successor to the 3DS
Let it go man, Switch is a 'hybrid' for a reason. They also merged their development teams. There's no more distinction between console development and handheld development. That should tell you everything. The whole point was to have one platform to support which means faster software output.

Neoxon

Then why is Game Freak moving the mainline Pokémon games to the Switch after Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon? Why is Intelligent Systems moving Fire Emblem to the Switch after Echoes?

MomoQca

Considering Monolith Soft is bringing Xenoblade 2 this year, it wouldn't be far-fetched to get another RPG in a couple years. I'm betting all of my money on a sequel to X. Yes yes yes.

Of course I'd love to see more sequels to popular series, more Wii U ports, and stuff like that, but above all else, I hope Nintendo will broaden their catalog. They have a lot of core games, of which many are already released or announced, but there's also a huge casual market they can appeal, and there's a lot of genres that are absent on Nintendo platforms. They're already busy with that with Splatoon (a team shooter) f.e. as a result. They have Smash of course, which is a 2D fighter, but now they also have ARMS as a 3D fighter.

Now what I hope to see is of course the big series and some casual games (they don't really appeal to me personally, but they're important to have as a platform) like Art Academy, Mario Party, WarioWare, a sequel to Wii Party (U) and Animal Crossing - that last one is a save bet. As for brand-new series, I'd hope to see more sports games, like we had 1080, Wave Race, Mario Power Tennis, and Mario Strikers on the GameCube; and a more western-style action-adventure game, like the Batman Arkham games or Assassin's Creed. Of course we'll get Metroid Prime 4, but I don't that game alone covers the genre.

Ozzie001

Neo Member

OCD Guy

Zero chance there is another 3D mario on this system

I'm also thinking the same thing with Mario Kart etc. History has shown that we generally only tend to get one game in each series on each console.

I know that MK8 deluxe is slightly different but I just feel that Nintendo might count that as the 1 release for the switch.

With regard to 3D Mario if we were going to get 3D world for example then they'd have released that before Odyssey. There's no chance we'll get that after. And anyone thinking Nintendo are going to develop another new 3D Mario are crazy.

I know many are saying how good it is to get Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon etc the first year, but my concern is that Nintendo is shooting it's load far too early.

I'd have been happy just having ports, fuck it give us Mario Kart deluxe, Splatoon deluxe, 3d World, and a Zelda pack with windwaker etc

Philippo

This is all random shit i'd love to see on the system:

Nintendo
Animal Crossing
Top Down Zelda
Advance Wars
Golden Sun
Kid Icarus
Bayonetta 3
Star Fox
Paper Mario
Zelda Maker
A new cinematic, Naughty Dog style big budget game but with Nintendo's usual style and twists

Pokémon Stars
Smash Bros HD
Metroid Prime Trilogy HD
No More Heroes 1-2 HD
Bayonetta 1-2 HD

Konami
2.5D Castlevania (lolololol)

Square
DQXI is the PS4 version
Bravely Default spiritual successor
The World Ends With You 2
Dissidia Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

Capcom
Monster Hunter X2 / Portable 5
REmake
RE 4-5-6 HD
RE7
SFV/MvC:I
Ace Attonery
Breath of Fire

Namco
Anime games (Naruto, OP, DBZ)
Tales of Vesperia
Tekken 7
.hack// G.U. Trilogy

Atlus
SMTV
New Megami Tensei series
New game from the Radiant Historia team
Etrian Odyssey

Sega
Valkyria Chronicles
Skies of Arcadia

Retro

Animal Crossing seems kind of obvious as a slow-burn game to soak up hours between big releases. The series hasn't had a big console release since the original so it could be a substantial jump in content, making it more involved than the current "let's see what everyone is up to / do some quick chores" type game. More exploration / social interaction via online play, deeper customization, bigger worlds, more hobbies. It's a shame they'll kind of compete with their own virtual console by including classic games like the original, I always really liked that idea.

-Rogue-like loot based rpg similiar to Diablo and/or grim dawn. Has couch/tabletop coop where each individual joycon is used for one player for a total of 4 max.

Something along the lines of the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance series would be amazing for this.

I hope there is a Harvest Moon like SNES or N64 version .. those are charming for some reasons..

Stardew Valley is supposedly still coming this year.

VDenter

Banned

Probably will be out in 6-7 years instead. like every other system besides the Wii U. It is selling well so no reason to cut the life span short by two years. A second 3D Mario is very possible since the Wii had two.

Gartooth

ft949.jpg

Still waiting for Animal Crossing.

The next Animal Crossing really needs to impress to justify how long the wait has been. Next year it will have been 6 years since New Leaf without a mainline entry and I'm starting to get pretty anxious for it!

I've quite enjoyed Nintendo's focus on multiplayer these last few months, it's given their system a bigger community focus compared to earlier systems such as the Wii U, 3DS, Gamecube, DS, etc(Wii being the exception, ofcourse).

Especially the focus on local multiplayer pays of so well on a machine that comes with two mini-controllers inside the box.

So with that in mind, I want Nintendo to focus their efforts in bringing back the extreme sports genre. They have the legacy IP to it with, so I want:
-Wave Race Switch
-1080° Switch
-ExciteTruck Switch

All of the above with Local, Online and LAN multiplayer supported right out of the box. Additional titles that I want to see would be:
-Wario Ware Switch. (It's been to long since a regular entry. DIY was released back in 2009)
-Switch Wars. (Without the waifu bait that Fire Emblem's become infested with)
-Super Mario Bros. 5 (cut it our with this NSMB bullshit. 2D Mario can sell big time and this would be HUGE for everyone who grew up on Super Mario World Etc.)
-2D Zelda Switch. (it's nice to have BotW, it's nice that we may get Zelda maker. But what I want is the team that made ALBW do an HD 2D Zelda. Add in local multiplayer co-op and we have a WINNER!)
-2D Metroid HD. (Come on Sakamoto! You're not letting Igarashi get away with having made a better console Metroidvania then you, are you?)

I can think of so much more. But I'll keep it at these ones.

Top Bottom