• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future Publishing (Edge/PC Gamer/etc) freelance writer says they alter reviews, more

Bad7667

Normally, my opinion of a game matches up to the metascore. I'll play it, say "this is about, oh, an 88," and lo and behold the game's within a range of about plus or minus two points of what I thought it might be.

There are three major exceptions to this: Valve games, Bioware games, and Rockstar games.

Most Valve games I've played seem like they're ~10 or so points higher than they ought to be. Left 4 Dead and L4D2 didn't have much content. Portal 2 was charming, but had less-intelligent puzzles than its predecessor, which was frustratingly short. Half-Life 2 and its episodes are poorly-written messes with bad gun feel, horrifically bad pacing (~12minute locked room sequences and extremely lengthy driving bits with unfun cars), bolstered by strong sound and art design. Bioware games are about the same way--though, when I'm playing them, I'm often like "WOW THIS IS SO GREAT AND AMAZING" and then later I'm like "hey, that was just a cutscene with dramatic music and actually the combat was pretty bad and the writing worse."

Then there's Rockstar.

I don't even comprehend the praise. When playing the games, I get frustrated. I push forwards on a stick, so my character runs backwards in a half-circle and falls off a cliff. I die because the game makes some stupid physics call. The gunplay feels awkward, though the movement feels worse. The writing isn't great--it reads like a shitty imitation of various films (Peckinpah for Red Dead, Scorsese for GTA), infused with stupid political bullshit and a college freshman's take on nihilism.

The games don't play well, they aren't written well, and they don't look all that spectacular. Their greatest strengths lie in attention to detail and sound design.

...aaaaaaand they get these insanely high review scores.

So yeah, I literally cannot comprehend how GTAIV has anything higher than an 84.

I can tell you why the valve games are reviewed well.

L4D1/2- These games have a lot of content. If you play the game alone, on easy, then maybe you could beat it really fast and feel like there wasn't much. But if you play on advance or expert with 4 friends you can spend hours on just one chapter. And with the director it feels like a different experience most of the time. Then there is the vs multiplayer which is incredibly balanced for such a difference in gameplay. If your the type of player who enjoys competing completion times there is survival mode. Plenty of content.

The biggest reason the left for dead series scores so high is because its a game with co-op that doesn't feel like it would work without it. The entire game is designed with 4 players in mind. And uses that greatly in its design. Using a recent example, Resident Evil 6 would play no different, it's design wouldn't even change, with the exclusion of co-op. In l4d if just one survivor dies you feel the impact immediately, and the game becomes harder.

The Portal series- The first Portal game was perfect in its length. So many developers fail to understand that adding more hours to a game does not always make it better, and you seem to think this as well. Most of the time it makes the game worse. Anyway, the reason portal scores so well is its very close to being the perfect game. Most people went into Portal expecting a puzzle game and nothing else. But what they got was one of the best video game stories told, using play as the method for telling it.

The design is completely hidden from the player. Where games like call of duty tell you exactly what the designers want you to do, Valve used Glados. The tutorial is completely hidden in the form of Glados' narration( which could be said for the entire game. Even using her betrayal as a way of telling the player, she isn't helping you anymore, don't obey her.) At no point do the designers just give up and tell you exactly what your supposed to do, they are completely confident in their design.

Portal 2 had a lot more pressure than the first ever did because of the incredible word of mouth the first had. I think the reason it seems easier is the shift away from the test chambers and moving into other settings. Which forced them to use the white panels as guides (having every surface portal'able in the Cave Johnson sections would make it too hard for most players). Which helped players get a general idea of where the portals could be placed but that also meant for the more skilled player, they would figure out the puzzles a little faster. Now I would love know how many players beat the game well below the average time completion ( first playthrough) because I would imagine its not by much. Which would prove that it wasn't that much easier than the first.

The reason the 2nd reviewed well is because its a great game, which you prove by only listing difficulty as a negative. Every reviewer might not be as good or as fast as you were, or maybe the reviewers value difficulty differently.

This is becoming a bit too long for me to do the Half-Life series. But if you enjoy talking about them, PM me and I would love to hear your thoughts.

tl;dr Valve games review well because they are masters at game design.

Hanmik

Shots are fired:

http://bootofjustice.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/the-echo-chamber-and-feeding-the-animals/

Neogaf, of course, is a law unto itself, full of wiseass cynics and anonymous authority figures claiming to have insider knowledge of everything. Well, I certainly gave them what they wanted. A friend of mine made a good point about this:

“You’re not just poisoning Future’s well, I’m afraid. When people are given license to assume that every opinion is purchased, every editor is a liar or a pedophile, you’re tainting the ground water in its entirety.”

That made me think more than anything else. I don’t regret having a go at Future, because the behaviour of some of its employees towards me has been abominable, and I’ll be damned before I sit down like a good little freelancer and take it. But I do regret failing to make that distinction between the company and them – Future is not a singular entity, but in my anger I treated it as such. And you can’t depend on others to be able to parse those things when you haven’t.

Let me spell it out. Is Future bent? No. Have I seen individuals do bad things? Yes. And to be honest, I’ve just as often seen people TRY to do bad things, and get slapped down by management.

So draw your own conclusions. But don’t take one angry man’s twitterings as gospel, and don’t mistake score-settling as the truth about score-selling.

Shots are fired

What an odd fellow. Seems to realise that what he thought was harmless venting actually has more weight than he thought, but still fires shots across the bow at those he perceives as being responsible for his new predicament.

I'm no PR guy, but he probably should have deleted those bits and tried to look as humble and apologetic as possible.

What an odd fellow. Seems to realise that what he thought was harmless venting actually has more weight than he thought, but still fires shots across the bow at those he perceives as being responsible for his new predicament.

I'm no PR guy, but he probably should have deleted those bits and tried to look as humble and apologetic as possible.

You know that this guy worked on Edge right?

mclem

Well, to be fair (and I highlight, I don't particularly want to!), there *are* a fair few wiseass cynics on GAF; I'd say I'm one, at least! Don't think I can speak much in terms of the anonymous insiders, though.

jcm

Anyone stating that reviewers are "bribed" with press junkets and swag is telegraphing that they don't really know anything about the actual life of a game journalist.

After the initial "video game journalist woot!" moment passes, the work travel annoys you (you just want to sleep in your own bed) and the tchotchkes get given to fans/readers, maybe go on your desk, and yes, often make their way into the trash.

Edit: Additionally, many publications have a policy that any editor attending a lavish preview event or other junket won't do the review - the review gets assigned to another competent (in the genre) Editor that's less close to the title, having not done too much of the preview coverage.

Right, the publishers pay for junkets and swag out of the goodness of their hearts. It has no effect at all. You mean to tell me you can't see the potential for influence (or an appearance of influence) after a writer spends three days on an all expenses paid trip to Hawaii?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
A "10" is a score that should rightfully never be given to any title. The game would have to be absolutely perfect in every sense of the word, but what may be a "10" to one person may not be the case for others.

However, the fact remains that there are no perfect games out there.

10 doesn't mean perfect.

Corto

NeoGAF. The escape goat of stupid no balls journalists since 1999. Down to the shit list he goes. Thank god there are still great journalists in this industry that refrain to make fools of themselves like this guy. Next time you're drunk disconnect from the internet.

I don't think many people over reacted. It's not hard to filter out the clowns in this thread having been here so long.
Fair play to the guy for reiterating his stance RE: Management/writers, but the people who came into this thread with an attitude are the people who felt that way in the first place. See all the "no surprises here" comments.

Feel free to personalise what he wrote but I don't think we're been given a license for anything. And when the next big magazine issue comes around people will be sucking at their tit to debate scores. If anything we poison ourselves with this fauning.
I'll agree about his comment about armchair insiders, though.

Snakeyes

Don't see why y'all are piling up on a dude who exposed part of a corrupt system that often sways many people's opinion. Sure, he didn't do it in the best way possible but it's still better than remaining silent on the matter.

10 doesn't mean perfect.

yeah. and it shouldn't. a 6 - 10 scale is bad enough without forcing it to be a 6 - 9 scale.

Don't see why y'all are piling up on a dude who exposed part of a corrupt system that often sways many people's opinion. Sure, he didn't do it in the best way possible but it's still better than remaining silent on the matter.
as he says a few posts above you, he wasn't exposing issues with the system. just talking about individual douchebags within the system. by his own words he isn't exposing what you think he is. no need to feel bad, i think most of us thought he was saying the problem was company wide.

jcm

NeoGAF. The escape goat of stupid no balls journalists since 1999. Down to the shit list he goes. Thank god there are still great journalists in this industry that refrain to make fools of themselves like this guy. Next time you're drunk disconnect from the internet.

FYI, the term you're looking for is actually scapegoat.

Darklord

Banned
1970306-untitled.jpg

Fuck future publishing.

If you wanted to be a little mischievous you could link back to the thread like this:

Future Publishing

Search engines love this stuff! ;-)

It's also good to include Future Publishing several times in your message content. As it helps search engines understand that this topic is talking about Future Publishing.

In fact doing something like this post about Future Publishing which mentions Future Publishing several times because we're talking about Future Publishing.

And as if by magic with enough back links and repetition of the words Future Publishing the page becomes a highly ranked result for Future Publishing.

Future Publishing would like that...

But surely doing something unique and fun is worthy of more praise than perfecting the implementation in pass #43989843?

As for reviewers in this thread arguing that no one ever waved the Benjamins in their face... They don't have to, and coming at this from the (not games) marketing side that's a terrible value even if I was a completely disgusting human being. Why drop a couple grand in your lap to love my RPG, and risk your editor blackballing us both because he wasn't cut in, when I can just "suggest" (with a major ad buy in play) that the magazine's big AAA fan who loves anything that tosses his ego's salad, is quickly "consumed" by design, and is proported to be evolutionary, visceral, and cinematic is best-suited to review a new title in the genre?

Fixed. Money costs money, but horseshit is always free!

I take great pride in fueling this horseshit-fueled strawman-a-rama.

mclem

10 doesn't mean perfect.

Perfect is unattainable. Therefore, by definition, it needs to be something unattainable on the 10 point scale. So perfect is 11. Problem solved, in a way that is entirely consistent with the meaning of the scale.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
drunk person rescinds claims of not being embarrassed about things he says when he sobered up shocker

tis the illuminati i tells ya

Replicant

This is all so juicy. I love it! MOAR! Dish out the dirt.

He already burnt some bridges anyway. What's a few more Arsonist charges would do? :D

USDF

Banned
If you wanted to be a little mischievous you could link back to the thread like this:

Future Publishing

Search engines love this stuff! ;-)

It's also good to include Future Publishing several times in your message content. As it helps search engines understand that this topic is talking about Future Publishing.

In fact doing something like this post about Future Publishing which mentions Future Publishing several times because we're talking about Future Publishing.

And as if by magic with enough back links and repetition of the words Future Publishing the page becomes a highly ranked result for Future Publishing.

Future Publishing would like that...

Wait , wait !

So what you are saying is if I link back to the thread like this:

Future Publishing

That search engines dig this stuff ?

Which means that It's also good to include Future Publishing several times in your message content. As it helps search engines understand that this topic is talking about Future Publishing.

By doing something like this post about Future Publishing which mentions Future Publishing several times because we're talking about Future Publishing.

That by the very power of magic with enough back links and repetition of the words Future Publishing the page becomes a highly ranked result for Future Publishing.

That Future Publishing would be very appreciative of all this effort and send me free stuff ?

faridmon

What a very bitter chap. This is the guy who was (understandably) a bit pissed off last week when CVG publically criticised one of his reviews but now it seems he just wants to burn his bridges. I wonder how long he was with Future - if they were so bad you'd think he would have left earlier and wouldn't have kept writing freelance articles for them. Just sounds like a butthurt journalist to me, I'd never heard of him until last week TBH.

Its always this. ALWAYS! Why can't we for one, have a an insider storey where we learn so much about our beloved industry before anyone jump to the conclusion on how dudgy/butthurt the guy who is giving us said information is. Why do we have to defend anything scummy this industry does and cloud our vision using guys who apparently got scraped as scapegoat?

Its shit like this makes me uncomfortable rather than anything unlawful in some of those magazines.

I love how everyone suddenly becomes an expert when "revelations" like this occur. I wonder how many of you saying "oh, but of course games journalism is corrupt" have any proof of this or how many of you are basing it on a few review scores you didn't agree with and the Kane & Lynch saga.

As someone who's been in the industry for many years and hasn't seen any of this widespread corruption everyone's so confident about here, it angers me that the reputations of good writers can be dismissed so easily. Maybe I've just been extremely lucky by not getting involved in any dodgy deals in the years I've been doing this, but even so it's unfair to tar everyone with the same brush as if to suggest "if you're a writer you're corrupt, plain and simple".

At the end of the day, in my experience, 99.99% of the time when you see a score that doesn't match up with the review it's down to bad reviewing, not any pressure from publishers. This Stanton chap is a perfect example.

From what I can gather this bad blood started when his Resident Evil 6 review was posted on CVG and people complained that the score was too high for the text, forcing the CVG ed to come out and defend it (not very well, I should add). Stanton can moan and moan all he likes about corruption and "bent" companies but the simple issue here (in my view) is that his review was shit in the first place.

The review ends with the words "Let's put it this way: we wouldn't buy it full price." Then he gives it 8/10. That's the real problem - the writer has received a free game and then forgotten to put himself in the reader's shoes and decide whether the game's value for money. You simply can't say "well, I wouldn't buy it" then give it such a high score. Stanton can moan all he likes about his former company but as far as I can tell at no point has he moaned about his Resi 6 review or its score being tampered with, which suggests it was unchanged and that, as a result, this "I wouldn't buy it, 8/10" nonsense is his own doing.

All I'm saying is it's unfair to read a review and instantly assume "that score's been paid for" when it seems a little too high. In my experience this rarely (if ever) happens and it's unfair to the hundreds or thousands of decent writers out there who are trying their best. Sometimes they'll get it wrong (I've given a few scores in my time that I look back on now and wonder what I was thinking), but 99.99% of the time they're at least being honest.
Is it assumed that CVG didn't inflate the score or add to the review or did the writer say anything?

Top Bottom