• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

It totally blows me away. With the way things currently run, almost every frame is either late or missed. It's taken my Q6600/750ti/4GB setup and made it feel relevant again. I'm not even really sure why I'm building a new system anymore.

If Sony were smart, they'll have this or FreeSync in the PS5 and future gaming TVs.

Shit, if they're really lucky, they'll be able to add FreeSync to the PS4 and release a series of Gaming TVs.

Holy Fuck.

EDIT: TV

It totally blows me away. With the way things currently run, almost every frame is either late or missed. It's taken my Q6600/750ti/4GB setup and made it feel relevant again. I'm not even really sure why I'm building a new system anymore.

If Sony were smart, they'll have this or FreeSync in the PS5 and future gaming PCs.

Shit, if they're really lucky, they'll be able to add FreeSync to the PS4 and release a series of Gaming TVs.

Holy Fuck.

I can't wait to use something like this. I hate screen tearing and stuttering more than anything else.

ss_lemonade

Is it better than the jump from 60 >120hz gaming because that one was (and still is) amazing. I have yet to try gaming on a gsync monitor, only seen them personally running the pendulum demo

SandTorso

I've been having a hard time deciding between getting a G-sync monitor or revamping most of my system lately. I too am still on a Q6600 (and a 670), and I've been getting mostly decent framerates until this year, and goddamn would I love to never deal with screentearing again. Problem is many newer games are stressing my Q6600 to less than 30fps, and Gsync doesn't really help so much below 40 right?

Thankfully I can't afford either upgrade right now so I don't really have to worry about it.

Vuze

If those displays only weren't so damn rare and expensive... :( which one do you own btw? Just curious.

Aeana

I'm really hoping that it'll be the magic bullet I'm looking for to help me with the motion sickness I get with unstable framerates, but it seems like it'll be a while before I can get such a monitor, since I'm not paying $700+ for a monitor. At least not at the moment.

Naminator

Banned

If Sony were smart, they'll have this or FreeSync in the PS5 and future gaming PCs.

Holy Fuck.

Just when I'm prepping my wallet for some abuse with Black Friday coming up, you just had to remind me about G-sync, and how much I need it :)

pa22word

Is it better than the jump from 60 >120hz

I think so. Not being anchored to a single digit divisible by your monitor's refreshrate is a total gamechanger. No longer do I worry about changing settings to get a consistent fps. I just play and adjust a few things here and there if I want the gameplay to be smoother. It's that simple.

I've been having a hard time deciding between getting a G-sync monitor or revamping most of my system lately. I too am still on a Q6600 (and a 670), and I've been getting mostly decent framerates until this year, and goddamn would I love to never deal with screentearing again. Problem is many newer games are stressing my Q6600 to less than 30fps, and Gsync doesn't really help so much below 40 right?

Thankfully I can't afford either upgrade right now so I don't really have to worry about it.

It'll make a huge difference between 30-40fps. Can't do anything for dips below 30fps.

pa22word

Biggest problem and why it's not an solution for me: I game on my TV mostly...comfy couch etc.

If you're playing on a tv the benefits are probably lost on you anyways. Sorry, but gaming on a tv is total garbage after playing on any high quality, 1ms monitor.

Oh no... Now I'm going to have to buy this, aren't I?

I have an addiction to upgrades, this might be too much for me to hold back.

I agree, been on G-Sync for a few months now and it is easily one of the best upgrades I've made to my PC hardware ever. Once the monitors are more widely available I imagine the common sentiment will be the same, it's one of those changes you can never go back from.

turcy

ugh, really wish i didn't need a monitor for work over play.

essentially was restricted to choosing whichever 1440p IPS display was best for my business [ie - photography], over gaming.

with how games have been running lately [ie - quite poorly], methinks i will invest in a second 1080p g-sync monitor for gaming.

*any resources for recommendations people? i think it's time to move on this...

I'm really hoping that it'll be the magic bullet I'm looking for to help me with the motion sickness I get with unstable framerates, but it seems like it'll be a while before I can get such a monitor, since I'm not paying $700+ for a monitor. At least not at the moment.

The AOC 1080p monitor is solid.

pa22word

Really? Even for a person that doesn't play multiplayer?

I don't play multiplayer. Basically, the point is if you look at the benefits of gsync and your response is "bu...bu...my COUCH", you aren't the target audience of this tech.

Are you supposed to turn on or off V-Sync with a G-sync monitor?

Off. Gsync is hardware level synchronization between the GPU and the monitor so tearing doesn't happen.

Dave_6

Too bad my VG248QE is the one that didn't come G-Sync ready. I need the module to install myself and I can't ever find it anywhere.

TheBear

Can someone explain briefly the benefit of G-Sync or even 120hz? I play on a plasma tv so I wonder what I'm missing out on

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
ps4 x-one should support this at gpu level as Amd implemented freesync in their gpus since years ago.

Hdmi output is the issue on consoles i suspect. This requires display port 1.2 I believe

I think so. Not being anchored to a single digit divisible by your monitor's refreshrate is a total gamechanger. No longer do I worry about changing settings to get a consistent fps. I just play and adjust a few things here and there if I want the gameplay to be smoother. It's that simple.

I want to have this luxury

Denton

If you're playing on a tv the benefits are probably lost on you anyways. Sorry, but gaming on a tv is total garbage after playing on any high quality, 1ms monitor.

That's harsh. My Panny plasma has fantastic visual quality and response, imperceptible input lag..I vastly prefer it to my 24" NEC LCD when it comes to gaming. I really hope G/Freesync will get integrated into future TVs and monitors alike.

....although before that happens I will be probably swimming in VR already and not coming back.

hesido

I can't say enough of this, they need to add variable refresh rate to HDMI specs, and most TV sets already has the capability to adjust their refresh rate (multiples of 24,25,30) so some sets could get freesync-like functionality with firmware upgrades..

Like the OP says, PS5 absolutely needs this (any graphics hardware out to do 4K should better have this to reduce latency and eliminate tearing all at the same time, so we get smooth 40 fps games!

Can someone explain briefly the benefit of G-Sync or even 120hz? I play on a plasma tv so I wonder what I'm missing out on

G-sync allows the graphics hardware to adjust the monitors refresh rate arbitrarily so the last frame that is fully rendered can immediately be displayed without having to resort to v-sync or even double buffering, which allows for the ultimate low latency graphics pipeline and reduces judder that is mostly caused by repeated frames on a v-sync or torn frames without the v-sync. So if the game can render 40 frames per second, the display would work at 40hz during that interval, so no double frames are displayed as would be the case if the monitor ran at 60hz. So you'd get smooth motion even at 40 frames per second.

ss_lemonade

As much as I love my vg248qe, gaming on our TV (w900a) just has been a much better experience to me. I actually find myself using it by streaming to my Shield more now that I have a decent router.

Still, I wish a gsync monitor that's easy on the wallet would pop up.

Qassim

Yep - it is a fundamental fix for gaming (PC or console). It has been such a great upgrade for me.

If adaptive refresh is widely adopted, it'll bring some massive improvements to video games.

Xamdou

Any GSync monitors that are on sale this Black Friday?

Been eyeing one for the past year now, still too expensive.

Bl@de

I had to pass on it for 2014. The ROG Swift PG278Q was too expensive, even if it's an awesome display. 300€ and I'm in. Until then, ... Borderless window mode is a great alternative.

AHA-Lambda

Just bought myself a new monitor as well =/

I couldn't find a reasonable enough priced g-sync monitor that did 2560x1440 res here in the UK without it being about £650, plus that one in question was a TN panel which apparently isn't great.

Looks like I won't be getting G-Sync any time soon then but I needed a monitor now.

Tell me more about this. What does it do, exactly and how will it benefit my pc gaming?

basically your monitor will match the framerate that the computer is rendering instead of 30/60/120/144. So whatever framerate you're playing at it shows up as if it's the native refresh rate of the monitor no weird juttering or torn frames. Everything looks smoother.

Sakujou

Banned
We have so many standards these days, why are there so many shitty tvs out there??? So many techniques and shit no one cares and no one is able to distinguish.

There needs to be a gaming tv.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that GSYNC is probably the best thing that's happened to PC gaming in the last year. All this talk of Far Cry 4 and ACU running badly just hasn't had the same impact on me because of GSYNC.

The pros don't justify the cost, nowhere close.

I disagree.

The tech is brand new. By the time next-gen is starting I'm sure GSync displays won't have $100 premium that they do today. It just takes time for the cost to get driven down. Free-Sync is exactly that for manufacturers... Free. That competition will also drive down the price of GSync displays.

The only cost involved when next-gen consoles roll around is support for DisplayPort on the box, and compatible displays (which is the trickier part).

Anyone any idea if that G-Sync DIY is plausable on a ASUS MX279h 5ms IPS ?

GSync is currently not compatible with any IPS display, so no sadly.

Top Bottom