• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

Deadstar

Does G-Sync affect mouse movement? Moving the mouse at 60 hz feels so much choppier than moving it at 120 hz. If the refresh rate is constantly changing doesn't that cause you to have erratic mouse movement?

rav

Does G-Sync affect mouse movement? Moving the mouse at 60 hz feels so much choppier than moving it at 120 hz. If the refresh rate is constantly changing doesn't that cause you to have erratic mouse movement?

Well, if you are moving the mouse, that would cause an update, which I assume you're talking desktop here. If an update occurs it should update the monitor ASAP right - therefore it should match with very low latency if you can run the desktop in G-Sync mode.

I think you can, but I heard there was increased power consumption when running G-Sync all the time. I don't know how big of an impact it is though.

gohepcat

Banned
Yes! Thank you.

I always wondered what that weird stutter was that I was seeing in games. My framerate was always really high (60+), but I would get theses weird inconsistent jumps that were making me crazy. Finally saw the G-Sync demo and they showed exactly what I was seeing.

Made sub 60fps totally acceptable for me.

Mr Git

Been needing a monitor upgrade for years but decided to wait until these displays are a bit cheaper. Very excited, tearing is one of my least favourite things.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I have a GSync monitor and it's overhyped IMO. First of all, don't be fooled, GSync still introduces some input lag, it is NOT lag free. There is a notceable difference in fast reaction games when playing with and without GSync. Second thing, when there is a fluctuation in framerate, you still notice it with GSync on, it's this strange slowdown in motion smoothness, sort of like slowmotion is triggered suddenly.

roMonster

Been waiting for a gsync panel thats not TN. Waiting isnt easy tho--I was really close to buying a Rog Swift when I saw it in stock. Acer has a monitor similar to the Rog Swift going to be announced but its probably also TN.

bee

got an acer 4k gysnc monitor, its really nice once you calibrate it a little, gsync is pretty much mandatory for 4k gaming , makes the experience nice and smooth even with occasional 60 to 40 fps dips for instance, not really having too much trouble with any games in 4k so far except stalker , that's with with 780sli, looks amazing :)

Can't wait until the price drops to a reasonable level to try it out. Unfortunately you can't really appreciate videos of it, and I have no idea where I'd be able to see a demo of it.

Tain

I have a GSync monitor and it's overhyped IMO. First of all, don't be fooled, GSync still introduces some input lag, it is NOT lag free. There is a notceable difference in fast reaction games when playing with and without GSync.

Do you have tests showing this? Or are you just going by what you feel? Blur Busters clocked the lag difference between gsync and standard vsync off as a mere handful of milliseconds, so I don't buy this assuming you're claiming the difference is way more than that.

Does anyone who owns a ROG Swift know the answer to this? When I play Duke Nukem 3d Megaton Edition with my ROG Swift, no matter what I do, (enable/disable gsync), the game is super choppy. It's like it's skipping frames or something. It's the only game that does this out of all the games I've tried so far on my recently purchased Swift.

Also, anyone know how to unlock the frame rate from 23 when playing Crysis and Crysis Warhead with the Swift. If I enable gsync, it locks both games at 23 fps, thus making these games unplayable. Is there a workaround for this?

aeolist

Banned
freesync is a displayport standard, consoles don't have displayport

don't look for anything like this on console any time soon

Unai

I recommend getting one card if your using Gsync. I really should have gone with a single 980 instead of 2x 970's. Im finding that Gsync works better with smaller frame drops. When I run SLI I get higher frames but lower drops,which causes a fair bit of stutter.
It seems that Gsync cant keep up when my frames go from 80 to 50 but when I run a single card my frames stay in the 40-60 range and it works great.

It's nice but I don't think it was worth $800+ for the monitor.

Do you have DSR enabled? I'm asking because I just bought 2 GTX 970 that will arrive here next week, and I read that DSR + G-Sync + Sli doesn't work yet.

mugwhump

What are the odds of some manufacturer coming out with a display that supports both freesync AND g-sync? I don't want my monitor to lock me into one gpu vendor, and it doesn't look like nvidia plans on supporting adaptive sync for now.

I want a 21:9 Ultra Wide 34'' monitor of same quality as the Dell u2711. That ultra wide angle is so much better than multiple monitors. think about it.. your eyes view things in a vertical plane.

and with those monitors instead of 4k you only get a 20% performance penalty over 1440p. Its a much better compromise. I want this. Not 4k or 5k or 3D. This right here.

ohh and matte screen. no more glossy nonsense!

FyreWulff

Have they gotten rid of the 30mhz lower bound yet? I want to be able to watch any content ever made at it's original framerate, and also the implication that only having to update at 1hz if the screen hasn't changed would let you do neat things with power saving.

Romir

Do you have DSR enabled? I'm asking because I just bought 2 GTX 970 that will arrive here next week, and I read that DSR + G-Sync + Sli doesn't work yet.

DSR with SLI and the Swift still isn't available. I've put off finishing Alien Isolation until new drivers fix that.

Unai

Have they gotten rid of the 30mhz lower bound yet? I want to be able to watch any content ever made at it's original framerate, and also the implication that only having to update at 1hz if the screen hasn't changed would let you do neat things with power saving.

No. (Assuming you meant 30Hz)

DSR with SLI and the Swift still isn't available. I've put off finishing Alien Isolation until new drivers fix that.

Yep. That's why I'm asking him that. If he is not using DSR than what he described is really a problem related to the SLI itself, and if he is than it's just that that setup isn't working yet.

The idea behind G-Sync is something that should spread on every consumer display. The first gen G-Sync isn't perfect though, and these monitors have their issues. They will flicker <30 Hz, and with some games they have issues even above 30 fps. Then there's the lack of inputs, lack of OEM features, lacking OSD settings. All in a monitor that costs 200$ extra. The ROG Swift is notorious for having really bad QA with lots of dead pixels, light bleed, disconnects, you name it. It's a lottery to get a good one. As good as it can be theoretically, personally I have no interest in buying one, not when I could get two good 2560x1440 IPS panels for the same price. And of course there's the lock-down to Nvidia only cards, which isn't really to the consumer's benefit. Hopefully Nvidia will move on to support Adaptive-Sync in the future generations. I think at the moment though their GPUs don't have the necessary DP1.2a support so it's not likely to happen any time soon.

freesync is a displayport standard, consoles don't have displayport

don't look for anything like this on console any time soon

The XBOX 360 didn't have HDMI when it launched. If there are TVs that support it, expect it to show up on consoles sooner or later. Sooner if Sony or MS can see a competitive advantage in it.

mrpookles

I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a 27"+, 1440p G-sync monitor, but the only option is the ROG Swift, which just looks too "I play vidya gamez" for my tastes. If nothing else gets announced soon I'll bite, but I'd rather wait just a bit longer.

Can't wait to try it out, though.

Yes. No tearing and no stuttering. Frame rate is still lower but it's not as big of a problem as it would normally be - it makes capping at 30 for smoothness an irrelevant option.

Hopefully prices come down after the market gets saturated and freesync starts competing.

Yep. Your display refreshes at 60 Hz, 45 FPS cannot divide evenly into that.

Gsync will match the refresh rate to your frame rate.

This shit can't become more widespread soon enough.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, need good quality TVs to have this first. While a G-sync monitor will look smoother, monitor visual quality and size is never going to match up to playing on a Pioneer Kuro at 65 inches.

I really hate that it's one or the other; smoothness or big screen & great black levels & IQ. There needs to come a day where we get 50-70" 4k tvs with great black level & g-sync.

Can someone explain what the advantage is of this over triple buffering?

Yeah, I know, a lot of games don't do triple buffering properly (even when forced), but let's assume they actually did.

If you're worried about 24hz video footage or something, it would theoretically be running at 144hz which 24 divides evenly into. Someone needs to test what happens if you fullscreen stuff like this!

What are the odds of some manufacturer coming out with a display that supports both freesync AND g-sync? I don't want my monitor to lock me into one gpu vendor, and it doesn't look like nvidia plans on supporting adaptive sync for now.

Pretty much zero. G-Sync as it stands requires a scaler made by Nvidia. You'd need a monitor that has two scaler boards in it, the Nvidia one and another one that has the Adaptive-Sync support. I think there actually isone model out there, that also has their own scaler in it, and there's a switch to alternate between it and the Nvidia board. But that one doesn't have Adaptive-Sync support. At the end of the day the problem with using dual boards is the costs - you're essentially doubling things inside the monitor, and G-Sync itself costs extra already.

The idea behind G-Sync is something that should spread on every consumer display. The first gen G-Sync isn't perfect though, and these monitors have their issues. They will flicker <30 Hz, and with some games they have issues even above 30 fps. Then there's the lack of inputs, lack of OEM features, lacking OSD settings. All in a monitor that costs 200$ extra. The ROG Swift is notorious for having really bad QA with lots of dead pixels, light bleed, disconnects, you name it. It's a lottery to get a good one. As good as it can be theoretically, personally I have no interest in buying one, not when I could get two good 2560x1440 IPS panels for the same price. And of course there's the lock-down to Nvidia only cards, which isn't really to the consumer's benefit. Hopefully Nvidia will move on to support Adaptive-Sync in the future generations. I think at the moment though their GPUs don't have the necessary DP1.2a support so it's not likely to happen any time soon.

Agreed on many points. I'm still very happy to have one, and have it now. I don't get to build a new computer for at least another 5 years. No new monitor before then either. When it happens though, I'll be excited to upgrade to something with a future generation g-sync equivalent, and I'll be excited that it'll be so much better.

Shit. I want g-sync to work at 24fps so that I can use it for film playback as well. I want it to coalesce into the de facto future standard and be on *every* display.

molnizzle

I don't play multiplayer. Basically, the point is if you look at the benefits of gsync and your response is "bu...bu...my COUCH", you aren't the target audience of this tech.

What a stupid thing to say. The benefit of G-Sync is the complete elimination of motion judder regardless of the current frame rate. That and completely killing screen tearing altogether. If anything, TV gamers are even more of a target audience due to the irregular performance of many console games.

I'd pay just about any price for a G-Sync/FreeSync TV. Shit would change my life.

Pretty much zero. G-Sync as it stands requires a scaler made by Nvidia. You'd need a monitor that has two scaler boards in it, the Nvidia one and another one that has the Adaptive-Sync support. I think there actually isone model out there, that also has their own scaler in it, and there's a switch to alternate between it and the Nvidia board. But that one doesn't have Adaptive-Sync support. At the end of the day the problem with using dual boards is the costs - you're essentially doubling things inside the monitor, and G-Sync itself costs extra already.

My expectation is that once freesync/active-sync displays become available, Nvidia will update drivers to support it. G-Sync itself will fade away as a transition standard. Sort of how there's currently a fight between dual-link dvi and hdmi 2.0. One will gain the upper hand and the other will fade. Beta-max and VHS. Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

aeolist

Banned
The XBOX 360 didn't have HDMI when it launched. If there are TVs that support it, expect it to show up on consoles sooner or later. Sooner if Sony or MS can see a competitive advantage in it.

TVs aren't going to suddenly have displayport support, HDMI is entrenched in that market and there's no reason for any of the manufacturers to add it.

it's also possible that the AMD GPUs in the consoles don't actually have the display controllers to support the feature, which would mean they'd actually have to redesign the SoC to add it. it's probably more complicated than just adding the port.

elelunicy

Meh, G-sync doesn't really eliminate stuttering though. If one frame or two took more than 50ms to render it would still feel as laggy as it were on any other monitor.

TSM

I've been using gsync monitors since the first diy kit. I absolutely love it, but it doesn't make 30fps look smooth by any means.

That's because 30 fps is terrible for motion without motion blur.

If you're worried about 24hz video footage or something, it would theoretically be running at 144hz which 24 divides evenly into. Someone needs to test what happens if you fullscreen stuff like this!

I have been using gsync since March. I run VLC in gsync and it's flawless for 24hz and 25hz content. Under 30 fps g-sync kicks to normal vsync, but it still updates at maximum of 144hz so you get a judder free experience with fixed frame rate video.

I'm intrigued. Which of the G-Sync capable monitors is considered the best? That Acer XB280HK looks interesting. I have a couple of monitors I was going to sell that could probably pay for it, and that'll leave me with my current, primary display if the G-Sync one doesn't impress.

My Dell U3014 is awesome but a lot of tearing.

CND

Neo Member
I own the Acer 4K g-sync monitor.
Just a word of caution that while it does do a great job at what it was designed for, it does not do much for stuttering/hitching in general. g-sync isn't magic, and there is nothing it can do if your PC takes many milliseconds to render a frame.

Then again, it did completely fix my stuttering in Diablo 3, when nothing else would.. so there are some random exceptions to the above.

TVs aren't going to suddenly have displayport support, HDMI is entrenched in that market and there's no reason for any of the manufacturers to add it.

it's also possible that the AMD GPUs in the consoles don't actually have the display controllers to support the feature, which would mean they'd actually have to redesign the SoC to add it. it's probably more complicated than just adding the port.

DP 1.3 brings most of the features HDMI 2.0 has with it, most importantly HDCP 2.2. This could mean DP actually has a chance in HDTV's in the future. It is royalty free unlike HDMI so there's that.

As for the consoles supporting dynamic refresh rates, technically I think it might be possible, but unlikely. I think HDMI would need to first include Adaptive-Sync, unless DP suddenly takes over. And then you need new models with the supported inputs. All this would take years even in the best of cases.

CND

Neo Member
I'm intrigued. Which of the G-Sync capable monitors is considered the best? That Acer XB280HK looks interesting. I have a couple of monitors I was going to sell that could probably pay for it, and that'll leave me with my current, primary display if the G-Sync one doesn't impress.

My Dell U3014 is awesome but a lot of tearing.

The Acer is amazing, but please don't make the mistake of thinking just because it has g-sync you can skimp on horsepower. At the bare minimum you will want two 780 (non-ti), and even that will be a stretch.

Xeinok

Neo Member
Sorry to do this guys....

57eefcf969.jpg

CND

Neo Member
Yes! Thank you.

I always wondered what that weird stutter was that I was seeing in games. My framerate was always really high (60+), but I would get theses weird inconsistent jumps that were making me crazy. Finally saw the G-Sync demo and they showed exactly what I was seeing.

Made sub 60fps totally acceptable for me.

The pendulum demo is highly misleading, in that it isn't particularly graphically intensive, and so they can get away with artificially capping the framerate and still get no dropped frames.

Real games will suffer legitimate cases of dropped frames and you will still notice hitching on g-sync when it happens.

Top Bottom