• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

laxu

I'm pretty sure it is, but I have a ASUS ROG Swift PG248Q, how do I check Gsync is indeed working?

It's enabled in nvidia control panel, the games seem smooth (might be me imagining it though), the red circle at the bottom of my screen is on whenever I turn on the monitor so thats no help

If it has the same OSD as my PG278Q, you can open it and it should say G-Sync, ULMB or Normal mode right there. Normal mode is what you don't want and if you get that, G-Sync isn't working so either the game runs in borderless window mode and you don't have windowed G-Sync enabled or somehow G-Sync did not get enabled properly. Often just Alt+Tab back and forth fixes this or alternatively toggling G-Sync on/off in Nvidia control panel.

You can also use Nvidia control panel to select what mode should be used for each game.

laxu

I'm going to get an Alienware 15 soon. There is the option to get either:

1080p/60Hz/G-Sync/IPS (default option) or
1080p/120Hz/G-Sync/TN ( extra)

Is the higher refresh rate worth sacrificing the IPS display, or is IPS and being being less and lower refresh rate a better option?

EDIT: It's the 1070 version so it should exceed 60fps in most cases.

You should probably look for something else as neither of those sounds like a good idea, plus 1080p is really low res nowadays and IMO a waste of the 1070s capabilities. I don't see any reason why the 120 Hz TN panel should be that much more expensive.

cackhyena

What's the best G-Sync monitor at 27 inches nowadays? I can't go back down from 27. I'm still rocking an i5 3500k and a 980ti so I'm guessing 1440p is my limit? Which would be fine.

Is the Acer XB321HK the only GSync capable monitor at 32 inches and 4K resolution? I was saddened to find that there are like none other available. Has anyone had experiences with that monitor?

I am coming from a 34 Ultrawide setup which I have had for a good year or so. I have been testing out the Asus 34 UW GSync monitor but I think I want something new and different because some of these games make it annoying with side black bars fading in and out and the tinkering you need to do to get it to function.

32" and 4K with GSync sounded right up my alley (since I could run a custom 21:9) resolution if I really wanted to and have a similar effect) but I didn't want to commit to the single option after reading somewhat mixed reviews about it.

Thoughts on that monitor? Has anyone gone from ultrawide to 4K? Any insights on that?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Uh, it should be pretty obvious?

Just play a really demanding game or if you have mega ultra hardware play said demanding game @ your 4xDSR with Vsync off. Once the frames drop below refresh rate if you have tearing or judder then it's not working.
Been playing Andromeda and its smooth with a 970 and an i5-6600k, most settings on ultra or high so I'd assume its working, I just want to know for sure because my ocd makes me check nvidia control panel constantly

If it has the same OSD as my PG278Q, you can open it and it should say G-Sync, ULMB or Normal mode right there. Normal mode is what you don't want and if you get that, G-Sync isn't working so either the game runs in borderless window mode and you don't have windowed G-Sync enabled or somehow G-Sync did not get enabled properly. Often just Alt+Tab back and forth fixes this or alternatively toggling G-Sync on/off in Nvidia control panel.

You can also use Nvidia control panel to select what mode should be used for each game.

Doesn't have the same OSD :(

It's enabled for full screen and windowed as I love borderless windowed mode in games

You should probably look for something else as neither of those sounds like a good idea, plus 1080p is really low res nowadays and IMO a waste of the 1070s capabilities. I don't see any reason why the 120 Hz TN panel should be that much more expensive.

Any recommendations? I want at least 1070, no bigger than 15" display, upto £2k budget, relatively small form factor case.

laxu

Is the Acer XB321HK the only GSync capable monitor at 32 inches and 4K resolution? I was saddened to find that there are like none other available. Has anyone had experiences with that monitor?

Yeah there are just way too few G-Sync displays on the market that are not 24-28" size or ultrawide. The XB321HK seems to be the only one on the market and I don't really care for the 60 Hz refresh rate on it either.

I really hope next year we will get larger 4K 144 Hz screens.

So I've narrowed my search down to a few options, keeping in mind that I really don't want to go back to TN as I have a Dell IPS currently that makes my other TN panel look atrocious.

1. Asus PG279Q (27", 1440p). $800

2. Acer Predator XB271HU (27", 1440p). $750

3. ViewSonic XG2703-GS (27", 1440p). $700

Any others I should consider? I have a 6600k and 1070 rig so I'm assuming 4k isn't an option right now.

The ViewSonic is tempting not only because it's got a good price, but also because the reviews so far are great. I've heard about QC issues with the Asus. The Acer seems like what most people pick after returning a few PQ279Qs.

Or, do I just stick with my Dell IPS 60hz for now and wait for HDR or other innovations? I play all of my games at locked 60fps so I'm not even sure I need Gsync.

Water

Or, do I just stick with my Dell IPS 60hz for now and wait for HDR or other innovations? I play all of my games at locked 60fps so I'm not even sure I need Gsync.
It doesn't sound like maximum motion resolution is your priority, so if you're buying in the near future, consider VA instead of IPS. Hugely improved black level and contrast (as in 3-5x better), at the cost of a touch worse motion resolution at high framerates than gaming IPS. Whenever you run games at low framerates like 60Hz, I think the VA is going to be strictly better. In most games the black level / contrast gives a substantial upgrade to the feeling. Even scenes you'd initially think are so uniformly bright that it wouldn't matter (like the bright daylight rooftops in the first Mirror's Edge) your eye picks up the darkest parts of the screen and everything else feels all the brighter for it. Low contrast panels feel washed out no matter what.

The main point of "real" HDR displays with IPS/VA coupled with expensive backlight tech or an OLED panel is the same, just even better contrast than VA panels offer natively. More color support is nice, but I'd take a 120Hz 5000:1 contrast non-HDR VA (which is what I have) over cheap 120Hz HDR IPS that only has extra color space but remains physically limited to 1000:1 contrast.

Paragon

I'm pretty sure it is, but I have a ASUS ROG Swift PG248Q, how do I check Gsync is indeed working?
It's enabled in nvidia control panel, the games seem smooth (might be me imagining it though), the red circle at the bottom of my screen is on whenever I turn on the monitor so thats no help
The power LED should turn red instead of white when G-Sync is enabled.
The monitor has an FPS Counter that you can enable to confirm that G-Sync is actually working in-game.
With G-Sync working the FPS Counter will report whatever framerate the game is running at, while it will stay fixed at your current refresh rate if it is not.
If it stays fixed at 60 instead of 180, you can try hitting the monitor's turbo button to see if that fixes it. Some games force the refresh rate to 60Hz instead of running at the display's maximum. Of course some games are just capped at 60 FPS too.

Lashley

The power LED should turn red instead of white when G-Sync is enabled.
The monitor has an FPS Counter that you can enable to confirm that G-Sync is actually working in-game.
With G-Sync working the FPS Counter will report whatever framerate the game is running at, while it will stay fixed at your current refresh rate if it is not.
If it stays fixed at 60 instead of 180, you can try hitting the monitor's turbo button to see if that fixes it. Some games force the refresh rate to 60Hz instead of running at the display's maximum. Of course some games are just capped at 60 FPS too.

LED is just red from the second I turn the PC on

FPS fluctuates in game, even on the monitors fps display, but I don't really notice drops unless its from 60 to 37 or something drastic

Was interested in the Ultra Wide Asus monitor but seeing their upcoming 4K HDR 144Hz IPS panel, I think I'll wait and see how that turns out. Rumoured price though is 2000$/€.

Seiru

Banned
So if I want 1440, 144hz, and IPS, I'm still looking at about $700 right? Seems that things haven't changed much at all in the past year as far as Gsync monitors go.

Zabojnik

Well I know that $2000 had been speculated originally, but I was sure that I read they had announced a $1200 price a week or so ago.
I've just had a quick hunt around and can't seem to find any confirmation of that, just forum talk.

Was interested in the Ultra Wide Asus monitor but seeing their upcoming 4K HDR 144Hz IPS panel, I think I'll wait and see how that turns out. Rumoured price though is 2000$/€.

It's not rumoured, it's been confirmed by Asus at the recent Berlin ROG event. 2000$/€, Q3.

https://youtu.be/a12_k4rEwks?t=300

Yeah there are just way too few G-Sync displays on the market that are not 24-28" size or ultrawide. The XB321HK seems to be the only one on the market and I don't really care for the 60 Hz refresh rate on it either.

I really hope next year we will get larger 4K 144 Hz screens.

I think I might just pull the trigger on it. I'm just so tired of the ultra wide issues I run into. Albeit infrequently, it does get annoying when I just want to play or work or just whatever.

Hopefully GSync and ultrawide and larger displays get announced next year!

Lashley

My monitor is buggy as fuck

sometimes it'll say displayport no signal, I then have to switch it off, unplug it for 30 seconds and plug it back in to fix it

I haven't been following gsync monitors very closely but I have the budget to either upgrade my GPU (to a 1080ti) or get a gsync monitor.

Are there any >60hz 3440x1440 gsync monitors in that same price range (up to $750)? I'd like to keep the ultrawide aspect ratio.

Paragon

No, good shout. I'll get one off Amazon and see if that fixes it.
Make sure you get a cable rated for 4K60.
DisplayPort ratings actually mean something, unlike most HDMI cables.

EDIT: The 3m cable I bought is a UGREEN 4K60 certified cable. Works great for 3440x1440@100Hz.
Unfortunately I think that is the maximum length for DisplayPort cables of this bandwidth. I really needed 5m for my setup.

Arkanius

Gentlemen,

Is Gsync for Borderless windows legit or should I always keep using fullscreen ? I'm always afraid that Nvidia might not bypass the DWM and get that forced Vsync applied to my game when I don't want it.

I never ended up testing if it behaves the same as Exclusive Fullscreen

Paragon

Gentlemen, Is Gsync for Borderless windows legit or should I always keep using fullscreen ? I'm always afraid that Nvidia might not bypass the DWM and get that forced Vsync applied to my game when I don't want it.
Seems to work just as well as fullscreen for me when it works - which is in most games.
I always check with the monitor's FPS Counter to confirm that it 's active though.

Gentlemen,

Is Gsync for Borderless windows legit or should I always keep using fullscreen ? I'm always afraid that Nvidia might not bypass the DWM and get that forced Vsync applied to my game when I don't want it.

I've used borderless g-sync exclusively (no pun intended) since I got my monitor and I haven't really had any issues with it. That being said, I really haven't used exclusive fullscreen g-sync at all so I can't compare the two. I've been very pleased with how smooth everything is and the complete lack of tearing (the best part imo) in the year that I've had the monitor.

Seiru

Banned
Alright, I just sprung for a XB271HU after mulling it over for about a year. But then I thought about it some more, and decided I also needed a Geforce 1080 Ti to really get the most out of the monitor...and a new motherboard. And RAM, and a 7700k.

RIP my wallet.

Swarna

Gentlemen,

The new Creators Update allows turning off v-sync for windowed apps. Stay updated on this thread, since the author said they will test windowed vs. exclusive fullscreen g-sync input lag in the future.

Victrix

*beard*
General 144/gsync question - I'm about to build a new pc (something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mrx39W)

and I'm budgeting ~$750 for the new monitor

My question is since this will probably be the most expensive monitor I've bought for a computer in... basically ever, should I target 4k now, or go for 2560 or 3440?

I care about 120/144hz gsync first, color and image quality second, res third so I'm assuming I should spring for the highest quality monitor I can get, kind of ignoring res, but I don't have a sense of a) how nice true 4k is and b) how much of a monster pc I'd need to actually run games locked 120+ at 4k (basically am I underestimating the image quality of 4k or overestimating how well that pc will be able to handle high res/high fps 3d games?)

Also the last time I went monitor hunting a million years ago, it was IPS or nothing for me, is that still the case or are the other monitor techs out there just as appealing for different reasons now?

The main point of "real" HDR displays with IPS/VA coupled with expensive backlight tech or an OLED panel is the same, just even better contrast than VA panels offer natively. More color support is nice, but I'd take a 120Hz 5000:1 contrast non-HDR VA (which is what I have) over cheap 120Hz HDR IPS that only has extra color space but remains physically limited to 1000:1 contrast.

Do you have the fg2421? I can't find anything in the US with those specs.

Wallach

General 144/gsync question - I'm about to build a new pc (something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mrx39W)

and I'm budgeting ~$750 for the new monitor

My question is since this will probably be the most expensive monitor I've bought for a computer in... basically ever, should I target 4k now, or go for 2560 or 3440?

I care about 120/144hz gsync first, color and image quality second, res third so I'm assuming I should spring for the highest quality monitor I can get, kind of ignoring res, but I don't have a sense of a) how nice true 4k is and b) how much of a monster pc I'd need to actually run games locked 120+ at 4k (basically am I underestimating the image quality of 4k or overestimating how well that pc will be able to handle high res/high fps 3d games?)

Also the last time I went monitor hunting a million years ago, it was IPS or nothing for me, is that still the case or are the other monitor techs out there just as appealing for different reasons now?

VA still sucks a lot of dick as of this year. Feel free to find an Omen or something to look at those panels yourself, but yes it is still pretty much IPS and then some other bullshit.

Water

Do you have the fg2421? I can't find anything in the US with those specs.
Yep I have the FG2421. It's well out of production, but there are some newer high-ish refresh rate VAs. Even if their contrast is a more normal 1:3000 or 1:3500, it's still 3x better than any IPS or TN panel.

Renekton

VA still sucks a lot of dick as of this year. Feel free to find an Omen or something to look at those panels yourself, but yes it is still pretty much IPS and then some other bullshit.
The Samsung CFG70 is pretty up there other than the reverse ghosting issue at higher response rates.

Knurek

I'm happy with my Acer Z271.
No ghosting to speak of, there is a rare firmware issue with 144Hz, but it's easily fixable with a Nvidia Inspector 140 fps lock.
Colors pretty much match my secondary Dell IPS monitor as well.

Durante

Unless you actually want an acceptable black level, at which point it's VA and then some other shit.

Well, and OLED of course :p

Paragon

My TV uses the same LCD panel type as the FG2421 (5000:1 Sharp UV2A) and it has an ~100 zone local dimming backlight system.
I just replaced it with a PG348Q for gaming, and I don't think I would buy a VA panel again.

The viewing angle is so limited on VA that even sitting straight-on to the panel you have color and gamma issues visible in the corners.
The contrast hot-spotting problem is really bad the higher contrast a VA panel gets too.
Here's an FG2421 showing that problem:
ilmtkvb7ecfrvibs1oeeuop.jpg

Of course IPS - especially AUO's "AVHA" IPS-like panel - also has viewing angle problems with the "IPS Glow" visible in the corners, but I don't notice that at all when gaming, unlike VA's color & gamma shifting.
Move your head an inch and the image changes on a VA panel.
Here's a comparison from a review of the HP Omen X35.
That's not specific to the panel used in that monitor - it's exactly the sort of degradation I see on my TV as well. It's common across all VA-type LCDs.

And motion smearing with dark tones is really bad on VA panels.
IPS is not as fast as TN, but is very consistent across the entire range of brightness/colors.
VA tends to have problems near black, and with reds - skintones in particular too.

What we really need are high refresh rate variants of those new IPS panels from Panasonic that Eizo are using in the CG3145. (plus, you know, affordable displays...)
I'm still not convinced that OLED is going to replace LCD.
OLED has really fast response times and amazing contrast, but there are so many drawbacks too. That new Dell monitor is limited to 120 nits full-screen brightness.

John Paul v2

Neo Member

It's been a long wait for monitor tech that feels worth the price that manufacturers are asking.

(plus, you know, affordable displays...)

I'm hoping that competitive gpus from AMD will make expensive, proprietary g-sync modules an intolerable value proposition for consumers.

Paragon

I'm hoping that competitive gpus from AMD will make expensive, proprietary g-sync modules an intolerable value proposition for consumers.
Sure, eliminating the G-Sync module would reduce costs, but by $200 at most.
I expect that Eizo monitor is going to be at least $5000 if not more.

Lashley

My monitor is buggy as fuck

sometimes it'll say displayport no signal, I then have to switch it off, unplug it for 30 seconds and plug it back in to fix it

Have you tried another cable? It may not be the monitor.

No, good shout. I'll get one off Amazon and see if that fixes it.

Make sure you get a cable rated for 4K60.
DisplayPort ratings actually mean something, unlike most HDMI cables.

EDIT: The 3m cable I bought is a UGREEN 4K60 certified cable. Works great for 3440x1440@100Hz.
Unfortunately I think that is the maximum length for DisplayPort cables of this bandwidth. I really needed 5m for my setup.
Okay, it seems to be a windows or nvidia update that's caused it.

Victrix

*beard*
How expensive are the HDR/ips/gsync monitors likely to be?

Trying to decide if I should spring for the already ~$700 1440 models, or wait for a few months.

Vintage

So my Acer XB270HA arrived a couple weeks ago.

Going from 60hz to 144hz is really noticeable, games feel much smoother, I can hit way more shots in Overwatch than before. However, it's mostly because of high rate, not g-sync.
I very rarely notice any tearing in games and I always play with v-sync off, so I'm wondering if it was really worth it. I could have gone with 144hz monitor twice as cheap without g-sync.

So far it's nothing special. The buttery smooth effect fades away quickly, like 3d effect in 3d movies, plus there are issues with certain games, drivers and setups. I believe that g-sync or freesync will become a de facto standard in the future across all monitors and tvs, but currently it's way too overpriced and has too much issues to be called an essential upgrade. Get it if screen tearing is killing you, otherwise I'd suggest waiting.

edit: Is it ok if Windows detects my monitor as "generic pnp monitor"? I tried updating drivers and everything, it's still like that, but g-sync works fine and nvidia panel identifies it correctly.

Durante

I can't say gamma shift bothers me nearly as much as the lack of contrast and off-angle glow from IPS panels. Significant color shift (TN-like) does annoy me, but I haven't observed that with most VA momitors I have seen.

I want to learn more about that first, on paper and in the marketing that panel simply sounds too good to be true.
OLED has really fast response times and amazing contrast, but there are so many drawbacks too. That new Dell monitor is limited to 120 nits full-screen brightness.
I think that's a solvable issue, as demonstrated by LG's TVs. The nice thing about OLED is that you start with something which is already excellent for gaming - extremely low switching times and great contrast - rather than all the inherent compromises of LCD tech.

How expensive are the HDR/ips/gsync monitors likely to be?

Trying to decide if I should spring for the already ~$700 1440 models, or wait for a few months.
You mean the ones with full array local dimming? $2000.

Victrix

*beard*
I can't say gamma shift bothers me nearly as much as the lack of contrast and off-angle glow from IPS panels. Significant color shift (TN-like) does annoy me, but I haven't observed that with most VA momitors I have seen.

I've never been more repulsed by any tech than I have with tn film. 'Sensitive' to the shifts doesn't even cover it. Years ago, the first time I got a monitor that was TN, I unboxed it, plugged it in, and was on the phone for an RMA in minutes because I thought it was broken. It was, just not the way I thought it was :p

You mean the ones with full array local dimming? $2000.

Welp. Current gen gsync it is then.

I see all of a whopping 4 monitors that meet those requirements from pcpartpicker, am I missing any others?

Asus PG279Q ROG Swift $799
Acer XB271HU bmiprz $729
ViewSonic XG2703-GS $669
AOC AG271QG $625

all are 2560x1440, 27" gsync ips monitors.

Renekton

I've never been more repulsed by any tech than I have with tn film. 'Sensitive' to the shifts doesn't even cover it. Years ago, the first time I got a monitor that was TN, I unboxed it, plugged it in, and was on the phone for an RMA in minutes because I thought it was broken. It was, just not the way I thought it was :p
I realize that FPS gamers don't really mind but in MMOs it sucks because we keep looking at side, top and bottom bars.

Victrix

*beard*
That's it, except for the predecessor to the XB271 (which honestly I think looks much nicer, but which you can't really get anymore).

Here's a geizhals link with these selectors, just because it's the best thing made in Autria in the past 2 decades:
https://geizhals.eu/?cat=monlcd19wide&xf=106_1~5137_2560x1440~5848_NVIDIA+G-Sync

Thanks, good site.

The AOC doesn't appear to have ULMB, the others look to be almost identical outside price.

I guess I'll do some review poking, since there's so few of them, shouldn't be too hard to find any issues if they were covered heavily. The Viewsonic and the AOC are a year newer, but other than lower power consumption nothing else stands out about them.

Since there basically aren't any other monitors that fit the bill, I may as well order one of them soonish, my new PC parts are on the way (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/froobilicious/saved/MMxdCJ woo)

I realize that FPS gamers don't really mind but in MMOs it sucks because we keep looking at side, top and bottom bars.

I'm both, it was repulsive.

Like bad enough that I'll cast anyone defending it into the same mental pit as the 'ok with 30fps' and 'doesn't see the big deal about 60+fps' crews.

Paragon

Well everyone has their own preferences, but I really dislike how much the image changes on VA-type panels when you move your head even slightly.
Don't get me wrong, I obviously appreciate the extra contrast, but I'm not convinced that the trade-off is worth it when IPS is better in nearly every other way.

I want to learn more about that first, on paper and in the marketing that panel simply sounds too good to be true.
Sharp actually had a prototype a decade ago which used the same principle to achieve 1,000,000:1 native contrast too, it's just that Panasonic are the first to put a display like that into production.
Basically you have two LCD panels - your "display" panel, and a monochrome panel behind it to modulate the backlight.
Two 1000:1 panels layered like this result in a display with 1,000,000 contrast.
There are obviously a lot of technical challenges in producing a display like this, but that's the basic principle behind it.
I see no reason to doubt their claims - especially when that display is aimed at professional markets.

I think that's a solvable issue, as demonstrated by LG's TVs. The nice thing about OLED is that you start with something which is already excellent for gaming - extremely low switching times and great contrast - rather than all the inherent compromises of LCD tech.
LG's OLEDs have been stuck around 150 nits fullscreen brightness for years too. They've barely made any progress in that regard.
All their brightness improvements are in small area brightness, not fullscreen brightness.
They're also using an RGBW pixel structure which trades off image quality and accuracy to cheat brightness measurements. That's not really acceptable for a PC monitor.

The AOC doesn't appear to have ULMB, the others look to be almost identical outside price.
The thing with ULMB is that it's an absolutely awesome tech, held back by some annoying limitations.
They get nearly everything right - it's single-strobe, and you have full control over the duty cycle.
Except it only works at 85/100/120/144Hz frequencies - and only some of those are available depending on which monitor it is.

The main time I would be wanting to use ULMB instead of G-Sync would be in games that are capped to 60 FPS and do not fully benefit from G-Sync.
But you can't use ULMB with those games, since it starts at 85Hz.

Additionally, even if it did support 60Hz, it's really difficult to run a lot of games at a locked 60 FPS without ever dropping a frame.
Any time the framerate does drop with ULMB, it's going to be even more noticeable than a regular display which doesn't have G-Sync.

It's frustrating that you have to choose between motion clarity and motion smoothness, and that you don't have the option to use ULMB at lower refresh rates where it would be most useful.
I don't know that there is really a solution to it though. I just wish that if you do have to make that choice, that they'd actually let it work at all refresh rates instead of being so restricted.

Water

Well everyone has their own preferences, but I really dislike how much the image changes on VA-type panels when you move your head even slightly.
Don't get me wrong, I obviously appreciate the extra contrast, but I'm not convinced that the trade-off is worth it when IPS is better in nearly every other way.
Individual preferences really vary on this. Obviously I can see the VA-typical gamma shift on my FG2421 and my TV when I move off axis and look for it, and I think I noticed it directly from the front when I unboxed the display the first time, but when I sit in front of the display actually using it, I register no problem or annoyance with it whatsoever. Whereas the lacking IPS/TN black level causes a strikingly washed out, flat, less compelling image that I'm simply not going to put up with anymore. I suspect the motion issues you complain about are not noticeable if, like me, one has not previously owned a high refresh rate TN or IPS display. A fast VA panel is astronomically better than a 60Hz panel of another sort.

There's at least one definite conclusion to draw for the folks reading this and considering their own display purchases: you have to actually go look at good VA and IPS panels in person or you won't know what image qualities are critical for you.

Calabi

I've been messing around with ULMB and I'm confused with all the advice around it. Does anyone know if its worth using if I get drops to 80fps and what if the framerate is limited to 125, instead of the required 120hz.

I've been back and forwards with gsync and ulmb and I cant really be sure I can tell the difference, in warframe at least.

Top Bottom