• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

Weird coincidence: I had just closed an Amazon window of the Acer XB280HK and I switch tabs and this thread is highlighted.

I was really hoping to grab a new monitor for GTA V but I just don't know. I'm on a Dell U3014 right now which is still one of the best monitors around. Also, I'll probably need to upgrade my 780 SC, which I'm fine with doing - I'd go up to the Titan X - as I can recoup most of the cost selling the U3014 and the 780, but I still feel like I'm going to be disappointed after all that.

What I really want is 4k, IPS, G-Sync, and 120/140hz. But by the time something like that is out and relatively affordable, I will probably have played through and beaten GTA V.

My life is very, very difficult.

kitch9

Banned
I couldnt give less of a shit about G-Sync. Watched the presentation, seen the press and shit about it, seen neogaf fap over it.

I still don't care.

What's the draw?

Every so often a line doesnt tear on the screen.

WOW.

Ignorance and sanctimonious. Quite the combination.

Belmire

What I really want is 4k, IPS, G-Sync, and 120/140hz. But by the time something like that is out and relatively affordable, I will probably have played through and beaten GTA V.

My life is very, very difficult.

I'm in the same boat as you. I bought the 980s and 1440p/144hz Gsync and now upgrading again to Titan Xs and 4k Gsync @ 60hz seems to be a bit expensive for what I'm getting but at the same time, 4k 144hz IPS + next gen cards seem too far away. Blahh...

Qassim

If you're doing 60fps at 1080p ALL the time with Vsync on, then no, don't get Gsync. It really becomes a thing of beauty when reaching over 60fps, so it's nice to have a 120/144hz refresh. If your system can always max out your monitor's refresh (60 or 120/144), then Gsync is kind of useless.

Yep - the reality is, on the more intensive games, I'm not going to be locked at my 144hz refresh rate - G-Sync lets me take advantage of every frame above the standard 60 to 144 with a tear free smooth presentation.

Seanspeed

Banned
Don't get me wrong, variable sync should've been around from the get-go. But when it comes at the cost of strobing, then it's absolutely no contest imo. We can't have both, yet.
If you're at the framerates where you're using ULMB or Lightboost, Gsync isn't super beneficial anyways.

Point is - we have monitors that cover all these bases now.

Then they should turn down their settings/resolution, sub 60Hz on a sample-and-hold LCD is full of motionblur and losing huge amounts of detail. The only way to escape the inherent flaws of LCD is to boost the native refresh (i.e 120Hz+) and lose all your eye candy, or utilise strobing and tolerate some flicker/loss of light output.
There's no such thing as what somebody 'should' do. Everybody has their preferences.

And like I said, some games don't even run above 60fps in the first place or will run into CPU bottlenecks before it's possible.

Not everybody is so single-minded that they can't appreciate different sorts of priorities for different games. Which is where some of these monitors come in.

yeah its great. i did the DIY kit. also, new Sony tvs have a strobing mode built in. a little different frim gsync but still good

If you're at the framerates where you're using ULMB or Lightboost, Gsync isn't super beneficial anyways.

Point is - we have monitors that cover all these bases now.

There's no such thing as what somebody 'should' do. Everybody has their preferences.

And like I said, some games don't even run above 60fps in the first place or will run into CPU bottlenecks before it's possible.

Not everybody is so single-minded that they can't appreciate different sorts of priorities for different games. Which is where some of these monitors come in.
Ok, so if we're talking purely about the top end of the spectrum, why are people building hugely powerful machines and then using G-Sync over strobing?

Seanspeed

Banned
Ok, so if we're talking purely about the top end of the spectrum, why are people building hugely powerful machines and then using G-Sync over strobing?
Because they want to push all the sliders to the right and then run a modern game at 1440p+ for maximum graphics and image quality?

And there is a huge middle ground between low powered machines and $2000 beast rigs.

Tenck

Your not going to hit 120+ FPS all the time. I'd rather feel good knowing I can drop below 120 fps and not have to worry about screen treating.

Dries

If you don't have a budget go beyond 1080p, you'll never want to go back even with 1440p. There's the new Acer IPS 144hz Gsync monitor that just came out, it seems perfect.

Concerning a 1440p screen:

Which setup would get a better AA and/or IQ result?

- a 1080p screen, but a downsampled image from 1440p

or a

- a 1440p screen and a native 1440p image

Thing is, I'm a IQ over framerate kinda guy and I value DSR as the main reason I bought my 980. Basically I would like to DSR every game the most I can. The reason I want to stick to a 1080p screen is because I can downsample more and compress the image and edges even more than I could on a 1440p screen.

So that's the reason I'm kinda sceptical about a 1440p screen. I'm afraid of the increase in native resolution which causes me to hit my native resolution limit much quicker when I apply DSR. Obviously 1080p will always be downsampled more, but will that make it look better than a native 1440p image without DSR on a 1440p screen?

The issues with Gsync and DSR are with SLI. It works with single cards.

Great news!

Since you don't really have a budget, buy an Acer Predator XB270HU and a Titan X to power it.

Just bought a 980 lol

Because they want to push all the sliders to the right and then run a modern game at 1440p+ for maximum graphics and image quality?
People are free to do whatever they please, obviously. But I'm of the opinion that, if you have the hardware for it and want the best experience, running a strobed panel locked at the lowest refresh your eyes can tolerate is the way to go. I'm willing to bet strobed 1080p has far more detail in motion than typical LCD at 1440p.

Tenck

People are free to do whatever they please, obviously. But I'm of the opinion that, if you have the hardware for it and want the best experience, running a strobed panel locked at the lowest refresh your eyes can tolerate is the way to go. I'm willing to bet strobed 1080p has far more detail in motion than typical LCD at 1440p.

Some people value IQ over anything else though. That's where G sync works because you can get crazy and not have to worry about your fluctuating FPS.

What works for you doesn't work for everyone else. If I can run all my games at 120fps locked with visual setting at max I'd love that. I can't do that unfortunately so I'll settle for g sync.

DirtyLarry

If you're playing on a tv the benefits are probably lost on you anyways. Sorry, but gaming on a tv is total garbage after playing on any high quality, 1ms monitor.
If the only reason you're playing games for is the technical specifications, the benefits of why one should be gaming are probably lost on you.

I mean seriously, think about your statement for a second.

You really think that someone on their couch does not get an equal experience out of playing a game as much as you do?

Do you seriously believe that the gamer who played Super Mario 64 on an old tube TV back when the Nintendo 64 was released was somehow incapable of enjoying it because the technical specifications of the TV was holding them back?

You clearly enjoy having all of the graphical bells and whistles enabled on your games and enjoy having a high frame rate. But do not mistake that for one minute as people who do not have those same bells and whistles are experiencing "total garbage" gaming.

Belmire

Awesome. And why is that precisely? Are there any articles or pictures somewhere where you can actually see the differences?

A 1080p display has about 2 million pixels on screen.
A 1440p display has about 3.6 million pixels on screen.

What you're doing with down sampling is fitting a 3.6 million pixel image on 2 million pixel screen. There will be some sort of interpolation going on. It's still better than the original image, but not as good as the real thing.

Some people value IQ over anything else though. That's where G sync works because you can get crazy and not have to worry about your fluctuating FPS.

What works for you doesn't work for everyone else. If I can run all my games at 120fps locked with visual setting at max I'd love that. I can't do that unfortunately so I'll settle for g sync.
Motionblur kills IQ though. I wasn't suggesting people try and lock 120fps, but 60-80Hz is entirely doable (depending on your tolerance for flicker) and lets you retain plenty of graphical fidelity.

While I think the tech is a great idea and I welcome it, I worry that it'll be used as a crutch to justify uneven frametimes and duplicate frames in a time where frame pacing is already going to complete and utter shit.

I don't trust developers to care (even less than they already do) anymore and just half ass it even harder.
Like an obese person who discovers a shirt color that makes them look less fat.

So many games these days have varying degrees of stutter caused by bad framepacing (even when you're at high framerates), and then every now and then I'll play a game that doesn't suffer from it and the amazing smoothness and amazingly consistent controls remind me just how good we used to have it with the quake 3 engine etc.
I wish there was as much noise being made about frametimes as there is about resolution and framerates, because it deserves just as much attention

Crayon

I still dont understand why frame pacing cant be tackeled some other way. A
I think a tv that can refresh as inconsitently as poor running games is tail wagging the dog.

DoT2

Just went from a 1440p pls panel to a benq gsync 1080p. Zero regrets, it really is that awesome. Its one of those things you really have to experience in person.

impact

Banned
Really wish I could afford a 144hz G-sync screen. They're still so expensive.

FTFY

Will never go back to under 144hz so the wait for that Acer 144hz Gsync screen to drop to a reasonable price is on! 60hz is just too choppy once you've seen the light.

Baleoce

I'm really hoping that it'll be the magic bullet I'm looking for to help me with the motion sickness I get with unstable framerates, but it seems like it'll be a while before I can get such a monitor, since I'm not paying $700+ for a monitor. At least not at the moment.

For the most odd reason Jak 1 always gave me motion sickness and I never knew why. Could it be because of this? Last time I played it was on PSN (PS3) on a 1080p60hz monitor. Idk what res the game itself runs at. But reliably every single time that game will give me motion sickness, and i have to just wait patiently for it to subside and for my body to adjust, before I can just enjoy the game properly.

Soodanim

I love my new AOC G2460PG. I'm happy with 1080p and between higher framerates and gsync it's so smooth. I played Red Faction Guerilla and during a hectic building collapse it dropped from ~140 to 30. Gsync got me through it with no problems (other than the extremely noticeable drop in framerate). And that's how it should be.

I am worried I've not been giving ULMB enough of a chance. It can't be used with gsync, so I've largely ignored it. Is it really preferable to 144hz?

Is there a list/database of games that aren't limited to 1920x1080@60hz? Trying both portrait resolutions and 144hz is somewhat difficult when you get so many games that are limited to 60hz because the engine is tied to it or some other shit. I booted Burnout Paradise in portrait to try it out and and the map scaled to 1920 vertical, which made it cover most of the car.

I am worried I've not been giving ULMB enough of a chance. It can't be used with gsync, so I've largely ignored it. Is it really preferable to 144hz?
I've not used that particular implementation of strobing (it may come with downsides, latency? colour distortion?), but in general, if you can lock a high enough framerate, strobing will be much more beneficial than variable sync (at the expense of flicker and lower light output). You get the motion clarity of a high refresh (or better) without all the strain on your GPU.

motion-blur-graph.png

SliChillax

or a

Thing is, I'm a IQ over framerate kinda guy and I value DSR as the main reason I bought my 980. Basically I would like to DSR every game the most I can.

Same, to me 1440p screen and downsampling from 4K looks perfect.

Corpekata

Banned
ULMB is worth it if you can get a locked 120 FPS.

Also fairly worth it for games that don't have a real fullscreen mode (like a handful of Unity titles) since you're not getting Gsync on them anyway. Needs to be a better way to toggle though.

or a

Thing is, I'm a IQ over framerate kinda guy and I value DSR as the main reason I bought my 980. Basically I would like to DSR every game the most I can. The reason I want to stick to a 1080p screen is because I can downsample more and compress the image and edges even more than I could on a 1440p screen.

So that's the reason I'm kinda sceptical about a 1440p screen. I'm afraid of the increase in native resolution which causes me to hit my native resolution limit much quicker when I apply DSR. Obviously 1080p will always be downsampled more, but will that make it look better than a native 1440p image without DSR on a 1440p screen?

Great news!

Just bought a 980 lol

On the same screensize 1440P will simply look better than 1080P. Downsampling is nice, but it still doesn't live up to being native.

Fantasmo

can gsync ready monitors still be upgraded? i dont see the parts available at any store. mine is gsync ready but not gsync. also apparently i lose 2 of my inputs. wtf, that stinks.

wait whats lightboost. my god i cant keep up

Mohonky

Unfortunately this is useless to me as I game on my Plasma TV.

They need this tech to start being used in TV's before I'll see the benefits.

can gsync ready monitors still be upgraded? i dont see the parts available at any store. mine is gsync ready but not gsync. also apparently i lose 2 of my inputs. wtf, that stinks.

wait whats lightboost. my god i cant keep up

Gsync modules are pretty hard to find I think, you'll have to search online. But yeah, they should still be able to be upgraded.

Soodanim

I've not used that particular implementation of strobing (it may come with downsides, latency? colour distortion?), but in general, if you can lock a high enough framerate, strobing will be much more beneficial than variable sync (at the expense of flicker and lower light output). You get the motion clarity of a high refresh (or better) without all the strain on your GPU.

motion-blur-graph.png
Oh wow, it really does make a difference. And the brightness loss doesn't bother me at all, so that's good. Thanks.

ULMB is worth it if you can get a locked 120 FPS.

Also fairly worth it for games that don't have a real fullscreen mode (like a handful of Unity titles) since you're not getting Gsync on them anyway. Needs to be a better way to toggle though.
Definitely. Unless there's a way of making some sort of script/batch file that I can put in my taskbar, it's going to be annoying every time I decide to switch between 144hz G-Sync and 120hz ULMB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adUqCT08Yq8

This video is for the people in this thread asking for a gsync/freesync ps5 or gsync tvs for their consoles.

I like the 'tail wagging the dog' comment on this page, you guys are banging on the wrong door.

Look at that frametime graph. You shouldn't need a bandaid for shitty framepacing on a console guys (seriously!)
You didn't need it on your sega genesis either, you don't need it with splatoon.

On pc with all the different hardware setups, settings and drivers getting a perfect consistent capped 60 fps is more difficult and gsync has some value (to a point, it does not excuse games like bioshock infinite with frametimes that are all over the place)

The answer to shitty console games (shitty on a technical level) is not to spend a bunch of money on a new tv.

Luigiv

This video is for the people in this thread asking for a gsync/freesync ps5 or gsync tvs for their consoles.

I like the 'tail wagging the dog' comment on this page, you guys are banging on the wrong door.

Look at that frametime graph. You shouldn't need a bandaid for shitty framepacing on a console guys (seriously!)
You didn't need it on your sega genesis either, you don't need it with splatoon.

On pc with all the different hardware setups, settings and drivers getting a perfect consistent capped 60 fps is more difficult and gsync has some value (to a point, it does not excuse games like bioshock infinite with frametimes that are all over the place)

The answer to shitty console games (shitty on a technical level) is not to spend a bunch of money on a new tv.

Not every game is splatoon.

I couldnt give less of a shit about G-Sync. Watched the presentation, seen the press and shit about it, seen neogaf fap over it.

I still don't care.

What's the draw?

Every so often a line doesnt tear on the screen.

WOW.
This post should be framed and hung up on a wall. Shitposts of this caliber are truly one in a million.

Wow.

Awesome. And why is that precisely? Are there any articles or pictures somewhere where you can actually see the differences?

It's time to let 1080p die, much in the same way we allowed 720p to die several years ago. Once you go 1440p or higher it's rather hard to go back.

Anarkin

Definitely. Unless there's a way of making some sort of script/batch file that I can put in my taskbar, it's going to be annoying every time I decide to switch between 144hz G-Sync and 120hz ULMB.

You can deactivate G-Sync for each game in the Nvidia Panel under "Program Settings".

1. Set your Monitor to 120Hz and enable ULMB.
2. Open the Nvidia Control Panel and deactivate G-Sync (Vertical Sync ON) under "Program Settings" for game X.
3. Open the Nvidia Inspector and set the "Prefered Refreshrate" to the "highest available" on the global driver profile. The monitor will switch to 144Hz for every game where G-Sync is still enabled. When you end the game, it will go back to 120Hz and ULMB.
4. Now search for game X and set the "Prefered Refreshrate" to "Use the 3D application setting". The monitor will stay at 120Hz with ULMB enabled.

This way you don't have to switch between G-Sync and ULMB.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

In a perfect world sneaky. In the real world consoles need Gsync more than PCs do.

Soodanim

You can deactivate G-Sync for each game in the Nvidia Panel under "Program Settings".

1. Set your Monitor to 120Hz and enable ULMB.
2. Open the Nvidia Control Panel and deactivate G-Sync (Vertical Sync ON) under "Program Settings" for game X.
3. Open the Nvidia Inspector and set the "Prefered Refreshrate" to the "highest available" on the global driver profile. The monitor will switch to 144Hz for every game where G-Sync is still enabled. When you end the game, it will go back to 120Hz and ULMB.
4. Now search for game X and set the "Prefered Refreshrate" to "Use the 3D application setting". The monitor will stay at 120Hz with ULMB enabled.

This way you don't have to switch between G-Sync and ULMB.

I like you. Thanks.

I didn't know G-Sync forces 144hz, that certainly makes it easier.

Top Bottom