• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

inner-G

Banned
What do you think someone with a 970 and a 2560x1440 G-SYNC display should upgrade to: a 1070 or a 1080?

Is it 60hz or 144hz?

I have a 1440p g-sync, and graphically intensive games don't go much over 100fps on my 1080 unless I lower stuff.

It'll typically run 70-90fps on demanding stuff, but lighter things like Rocket League hit full hz no problem

Arcteryx

What do you think someone with a 970 and a 2560x1440 G-SYNC display should upgrade to: a 1070 or a 1080?

I don't know if the 1070 would be that much of a step-up. I'd do the 1080 or just wait (honestly the 970 with G-SYNC works pretty damn good @ 1440p for a lot of games).

I don't know if the 1070 would be that much of a step-up. I'd do the 1080 or just wait (honestly the 970 with G-SYNC works pretty damn good @ 1440p for a lot of games).

I bought a 1440p gsync display when I had a 970 and ended up upgrading to a 980ti. It made a huge difference imo. Went from most games middling in the 40s to nearly everything being at 60+.

Unless you really want better performance on something right now, I'd wait for 1170. Likely not much more than 6 months out, and prices on video cards in general are still a bit crazy at this point.

Otherwise the 1070 is perfectly capable off nice settings 60 fps plus, 1080 will go even higher.

Yeah, you guys touched on some of my concerns. I don't want to drop $400+ for a 1070 for minimal gains in performance. If the 1170 is really just 6 months off, I can hold off...but if it's closer to 12 months off, it'll be difficult to wait that long.

Yeah, you guys touched on some of my concerns. I don't want to drop $400+ for a 1070 for minimal gains in performance. If the 1170 is really just 6 months off, I can hold off...but if it's closer to 12 months off, it'll be difficult to wait that long.

It's slated for early 2018 so I'd expect somewhere in Q1. Definitely won't be 12 months.

I recently got the dell S2417DG monitor and I'm loving it so far, but I've noticed that the screen starts flickering a bit when a game locks the framerate to 60 or 30 fps, eg during loading screens or menus. Anyone else got this problem? As soon as the framerate unlocks there's no flickering at all and also during normal use and webbrowsing I got no issues. I also see the flickering when I watch a video on the steam store or discord fullscreen, but not on youtube itself. I turned on the build-in 165 Hz OC, don't know if that has something to do with it.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
I recently got the dell S2417DG monitor and I'm loving it so far, but I've noticed that the screen starts flickering a bit when a game locks the framerate to 60 or 30 fps, eg during loading screens or menus. Anyone else got this problem? As soon as the framerate unlocks there's no flickering at all and also during normal use and webbrowsing I got no issues. I also see the flickering when I watch a video on the steam store or discord fullscreen, but not on youtube itself. I turned on the build-in 165 Hz OC, don't know if that has something to do with it.

Just got the same screen last week and loving it, but haven't taken it above 144hz yet and haven't noticed the same issues. Maybe something to experiment with

Soodanim

Cool, thanks. Got a pretty minuscule budget so I'll have to shop around to find the cheapest G-sync monitor. I've heard the AOC G2460PG is alright for the price.
I'm happy with mine. I've never gone higher than 1080p so I'm used to the pixel density (would be higher on higher resolution monitors of course, but I've not tasted that life) and the convenience of 144hz and G-Sync is so good. I don't plan to upgrade mine until an affordable ultra wide 100+hz G-Sync exists.

Just got the same screen last week and loving it, but haven't taken it above 144hz yet and haven't noticed the same issues. Maybe something to experiment with

Yeah I'll try putting it back to 144 Hz and see if it solves the flickering. Maybe it could also be the cable that's the problem, but I'm using the dp cable it came with.

Edit: Still got the flickering at 144 Hz, but I don't get it when I turn off G-sync. Seems like it only occurs when the framerate gets locked to 60 fps or below while G-sync is active, since I also get the flickering on Overwatch's start menu when I lock the framerate to 60 fps with rivatuner. I don't get the flickering when I lock it to 162 fps. This is so weird :p

GavinUK86

I'm happy with mine. I've never gone higher than 1080p so I'm used to the pixel density (would be higher on higher resolution monitors of course, but I've not tasted that life) and the convenience of 144hz and G-Sync is so good. I don't plan to upgrade mine until an affordable ultra wide 100+hz G-Sync exists.

I'm happy with 1080p too. Is it easy to set up G-Sync with it? Couple clicks and you're away?

Canklestank

Neo Member
Yeah I'll try putting it back to 144 Hz and see if it solves the flickering. Maybe it could also be the cable that's the problem, but I'm using the dp cable it came with.

Edit: Still got the flickering at 144 Hz, but I don't get it when I turn off G-sync. Seems like it only occurs when the framerate gets locked to 60 fps or below while G-sync is active, since I also get the flickering on Overwatch's start menu when I lock the framerate to 60 fps with rivatuner. I don't get the flickering when I lock it to 162 fps. This is so weird :p

The only thing I can think of is that maybe LightBoost is on? I'd probably return and exchange while you still can.

EDIT: Googling "S2417DG flicker" brings up a myriad of different issues others have had. You might see if you can find a solution there, but an RMA is probably the way to go.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any reasonably priced 1440p 144 Hz ultrawide g sync monitors? I'm thinking 1-2 years ahead to my next upgrade and I'm thinking I want to upgrade from 1080p ultrawide freesync to 1440p ultrawide g sync (given the less than stellar Vega cards), but the only thing holding me back is g sync monitors are obscenely more expensive than freesync monitors; the cheapest ones I can find are $600. I know prices will drop over the next few years but I can't imagine g sync will ever be as affordable as freesync, so I don't know if it makes sense to switch to team green.

laxu

1070 is rougly the same as 2x 970, maybe a bit faster. So yeah it would be a big upgrade. I think a 1070 is a pretty good sweet spot right now for 1440p. I've got a 980 Ti which is about the same in performance and I can max or near max (lower AA) most games and get good framerates.

laxu

Are there any reasonably priced 1440p 144 Hz ultrawide g sync monitors? I'm thinking 1-2 years ahead to my next upgrade and I'm thinking I want to upgrade from 1080p ultrawide freesync to 1440p ultrawide g sync (given the less than stellar Vega cards), but the only thing holding me back is g sync monitors are obscenely more expensive than freesync monitors; the cheapest ones I can find are I know prices will drop over the next few years but I can't imagine g sync will ever be as affordable as freesync, so I don't know if it makes sense to switch to team green.

Ultrawide 1440p are only 100 Hz at best right now. Higher refresh rate models might be coming next year.

Soodanim

I'm happy with 1080p too. Is it easy to set up G-Sync with it? Couple clicks and you're away?

Turn on G-Sync in the NVidia control panel and you're done.

Things like in-game V-Sync only ever apply when you're hitting the max refresh rate and you should really have a limit set in RTSS anyway, so you can leave V-Sync on if you like or turn it off. Unless a game relies on it to not mess up, you'll be fine either way.

The only adjustments I like to make are when I want to use ULMB for older games like HL2. I set the monitor refresh rate to 120fps for that and set up game settings so it uses ULMB, as the motion clarity from that is much better. Make sure you play it at 120fps with ULMB on (you'll need V-Sync or borderless windowed to avoid tearing) and set the DSR to downscale from 4k. You can still max the settings and get no drops. You'll get to experience the bliss of a high framerate, fantastic image quality, and wonderful motion clarity (read this for LCD motion blur comparisons and why I choose ULMB if I can maintain a locked max fps).

NEO0MJ

I think I experienced the best use of this recently with Forza Horizon 3 where I can leave the framerate unlocked with no major problem.

What's the best 24'' gsync panel? Does a IPS+Gsync panel in this size exist?

No IPS+Gsync at that size exists yet. I think the most popular is the DELL S2417DG if you're looking for something 1440p. If you're cool with 1080p then the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG248Q seems like the best option, though if you have more money to burn you can get the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q.

GavinUK86

Turn on G-Sync in the NVidia control panel and you're done.

Things like in-game V-Sync only ever apply when you're hitting the max refresh rate and you should really have a limit set in RTSS anyway, so you can leave V-Sync on if you like or turn it off. Unless a game relies on it to not mess up, you'll be fine either way.

The only adjustments I like to make are when I want to use ULMB for older games like HL2. I set the monitor refresh rate to 120fps for that and set up game settings so it uses ULMB, as the motion clarity from that is much better. Make sure you play it at 120fps with ULMB on (you'll need V-Sync or borderless windowed to avoid tearing) and set the DSR to downscale from 4k. You can still max the settings and get no drops. You'll get to experience the bliss of a high framerate, fantastic image quality, and wonderful motion clarity (read this for LCD motion blur comparisons and why I choose ULMB if I can maintain a locked max fps).

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Smokey

No IPS+Gsync at that size exists yet. I think the most popular is the DELL S2417DG if you're looking for something 1440p. If you're cool with 1080p then the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG248Q seems like the best option, though if you have more money to burn you can get the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q.

Cool, appreciate the suggestions.

Ok guys, just get a new monitor ViewSonic XG2703-GS. I just bought it after I returned the Acer XB271HU due to horrible, horrible backlight issues.

After I connected the ViewSonic , I was really happy with it. Very minimal backlight bleed in 1 only of corner, kind of expected with led monitors. No stuck or deaf pixels.

I just need to know what should I do to activate gsync and get most of my monitor. I already increased the hz to 165 on display settings. What else ?
I have a GTX 1080

Thanks guys

Rourkey

Ok guys, just get a new monitor ViewSonic XG2703-GS. I just bought it after I returned the Acer XB271HU due to horrible, horrible backlight issues.

After I connected the ViewSonic , I was really happy with it. Very minimal backlight bleed in 1 only of corner, kind of expected with led monitors. No stuck or deaf pixels.

I just need to know what should I do to activate gsync and get most of my monitor. I already increased the hz to 165 on display settings. What else ?
I have a GTX 1080

Thanks guys

I just got this monitor yesterday! After plugging it in (display port cable) I got a notification to adjust g-sync settings I clicked it and it took me through to settings where it seems as though it had enabled itself. The setting is in the nvidia control panel. The information page in the menu settings says it is recieving a g sync signal so I assume all is working.

I just got this monitor yesterday! After plugging it in (display port cable) I got a notification to adjust g-sync settings I clicked it and it took me through to settings where it seems as though it had enabled itself. The setting is in the nvidia control panel. The information page in the menu settings says it is recieving a g sync signal so I assume all is working.

Just did that, thanks man.

Anything else ? Did you calibrate yours ? Which settings are you using ? Standard ?

GavinUK86

Just got the AOC G2460PG and I'm not that impressed with G-Sync to be perfectly honest. It doesn't seem like such a gamer changer everyone says, and I hoped it would be. It's still easily noticeable when a game drops below 60. It's enabled in the Nvidia control panel. Are people using "enabled for fullscreen mode" or "enabled for fullscreen and windowed mode" or doesn't it really matter? Is there anything else I should be turning on somewhere? I turned on the G-Sync indicator, and it shows in games, so I presume everything is functioning as it should be. As far as the actual monitor goes, it's okay. The panel is noticeably darker, and slightly warmer in colour, in the top corners but apart from that it's fine. Maybe I just had my expectations set way too high. It was either this or a cheaper, regular 60hz IPS screen. Not sure I made the correct choice yet.

epmode

Just got the AOC G2460PG and I'm not that impressed with G-Sync to be perfectly honest. It doesn't seem like such a gamer changer everyone says, and I hoped it would be. It's still easily noticeable when a game drops below 60.

I mean, no one claimed that you couldn't see a difference in framerate when it goes below 60.

Benefits:
  • Slight FPS drops (say, from 60 to 55) are practically unnoticeable on G-Sync while they cause all sorts of problems on a traditional monitor. Similarly, 40 FPS on a G-Sync monitor is FAR smoother than 40 FPS on a traditional 60hz monitor.
  • No tearing, ever (no need to screw around with triple buffering)
  • Smooths out lots of microstutter
  • Eliminates vsync-related input lag
Aside from SSDs, it's the biggest quality of life improvement PCs have seen in decades.

GavinUK86

When you say this, are you saying that you see screen tearing?

No there's no tearing which is obviously a plus. I mean the feel of the controls. You can feel the sluggish mouse movement come back. When that happens, and I've tried a couple games, I bring up RTSS and as I thought, it's below 60fps. Obviously the huge plus is the lack of tearing and no vsync lag though.

edit: ^ yeah, maybe I just kinda misunderstood the tech a little bit.

Swarna

There aren't a lot of benefits to g-sync over a regular high refresh rate monitor running games with no form of v-sync. The only benefit in that context is tearing which is very hard to see on higher refresh rates in the first place. I got a 240hz g-sync display (XB252Q) recently and I haven't bothered keeping g-sync on because the tearing is negligible at that frequency. Even on my 144hz, I was feeling the same way. I only really got a g-sync model because it was cheaper than the BENQ 240hz where I live. I'm pretty much treating adaptive refresh rate technology as a secondary priority in the future. Motion blur reduction definitely takes priority in a TN "competitive gaming" panel and colours/resolution/144hz+ in a general gaming monitor. If I can get g-sync at the same price/cheaper, sure, but it's definitely not the holy grail by any means.

60hz, with or without v-sync, is straight trash in comparison, though. Either deal with juddering at the slightlest amount of frame variance or tearing out the ass.

Just got the AOC G2460PG and I'm not that impressed with G-Sync to be perfectly honest. It doesn't seem like such a gamer changer everyone says, and I hoped it would be. It's still easily noticeable when a game drops below 60. It's enabled in the Nvidia control panel. Are people using "enabled for fullscreen mode" or "enabled for fullscreen and windowed mode" or doesn't it really matter?

I've had mine for a week now (Asus PG348Q). I'm certainly impressed by it.

The fullscreen\fullscreen+windowed setting only seems necessary to change if you play in Windowed mode a lot.... which I do. So I have the 2nd option checked.

I think the only requirement is that Gsync is turned on and Vsync turned off in-game. I think enabling vsync globally in the control panel is also recommended.

I have a 100hz monitor and it's really nice to not have to cap to whatever minimum FPS I usually achieve (felt stuttery). Games run anywhere from 70 to 100, and I never noticed any variation. No stutters or anything.

Used to be that I'd have to adjust my settings so I achieved a locked 60 with vsync just to avoid tearing, so I never worried about what happened if my FPS dropped below. But I tried downsampling in BF1 last night just to try and get FPS to dip below 60, and I still don't notice when it dipped to 50. 50 to me still feels smooth, but for others it may not.

There aren't a lot of benefits to g-sync over a regular high refresh rate monitor running games with no form of v-sync. The only benefit in that context is tearing which is very hard to see on higher refresh rates in the first place. I got a 240hz g-sync display (XB252Q) recently and I haven't bothered keeping g-sync on because the tearing is negligible at that frequency. Even on my 144hz, I was feeling the same way. I only really got a g-sync model because it was cheaper than the BENQ 240hz where I live. I'm pretty much treating adaptive refresh rate technology as a secondary priority in the future. Motion blur reduction definitely takes priority in a TN "competitive gaming" panel and colours/resolution/144hz+ in a general gaming monitor. If I can get g-sync at the same price/cheaper, sure, but it's definitely not the holy grail by any means.

60hz, with or without v-sync, is straight trash in comparison, though. Either deal with juddering at the slightlest amount of frame variance or tearing out the ass.

So for someone on a budget, (me) it would be best to just look for a good deal on say a 144hz non gsync monitor?

Also, what seems to be the reason freesync monitors are much less than gsync? I don't know the differences of the two :x

Also, what seems to be the reason freesync monitors are much less than gsync? I don't know the differences of the two :x

Gsync is proprietary and requires a Gsync module provided by Nvidia. This is not free, however, and the price of the module is added to the price of the monitor.

AMD's Freesync is called Freesync because it's free. It's not proprietary. I'm not sure how it's implemented but it's done so in a way that doesn't increase costs.

ApharmdX

Banned
Are there any VA panel GSYNC monitors out there that people would recommend? I'm using a 980 Ti for my desktop and looking at my options, currently on a 1440p 60Hz 27" Dell IPS pro monitor from 2 years ago. TN is definitely out, and I'm pretty much done with IPS for gaming because of the gray blacks and glow.

Knurek

Are there any VA panel GSYNC monitors out there that people would recommend?

Acer Z271.
Two things though - 1080p, 27 inches, so might not be for you.
Also it has a firmware bug in 144Hz mode, which can be fixed by sending it to service depot. I just stick with 120 Hz.
Blacks and glow... I'd say are pretty much comparable with my Dell U2414H IPS screen.

A VA based monitor shouldn't have comparable blacks to a IPS one
The Z271 has a ~3000:1 contrast ratio, IPS tops out at around 1200:1 (around 1000:1 on average)

Yeah, I've seen the benchmarks. It's just that personally I don't see that much of a difference. Especially after seeing an OLED screen.

ApharmdX

Banned
Acer Z271.
Two things though - 1080p, 27 inches, so might not be for you.
Also it has a firmware bug in 144Hz mode, which can be fixed by sending it to service depot. I just stick with 120 Hz.
Blacks and glow... I'd say are pretty much comparable with my Dell U2414H IPS screen.

A $550 1080p monitor? Jesus.

What about the AOC AG271QG? That's 2560x1440 and GSYNC, and VA. Anyone have experience with that one?

abracadaver

Just got a 1080ti and a gsync monitor yesterday (asus PG278QR).

I have trouble getting gsync to work in some games. Can someone explain this to me?

I have gsync on, and vsync off everywhere. Some games now render at like 300fps. How do I limit them to 144fps?

Rocket league has a 144fps option but it looks like gsync isn't working. There is tearing and it looks stuttery. Fps counter shows 144.

PUBG, ARK and Killing Floor 2 worked fine (they didn't exceed 144fps though)

Had a freesync monitor before and in the amd driver I could just set a limit of 144fps. I don't see such an option in the nvidia driver.

Nokterian

Just got a 1080ti and a gsync monitor yesterday (asus PG278QR).

I have trouble getting gsync to work in some games. Can someone explain this to me?

I have gsync on, and vsync off everywhere. Some games now render at like 300fps. How do I limit them to 144fps?

Rocket league has a 144fps option but it looks like gsync isn't working. There is tearing and it looks stuttery. Fps counter shows 144.

PUBG, ARK and Killing Floor 2 worked fine (they didn't exceed 144fps though)

Had a freesync monitor before and in the amd driver I could just set a limit of 144fps. I don't see such an option in the nvidia driver.

It is important that v-sync is on in the nvidia settings also g-sync works best to put 141fps in all games. You need to get Rivatuner to put a limit towards your frames because it will benefit g-sync to the maximum. When you go above 144fps g-sync will be turned off.

abracadaver

It is important that v-sync is on in the nvidia settings also g-sync works best to put 141fps in all games. You need to get Rivatuner to put a limit towards your frames because it will benefit g-sync to the maximum. When you go above 144fps g-sync will be turned off.

What? Why? I don't want the input lag

Marmelade

A $550 1080p monitor? Jesus.

What about the AOC AG271QG? That's 2560x1440 and GSYNC, and VA. Anyone have experience with that one?

It's IPS not VA.
It's very good (like the Acer XB271HU, PG279Q etc)...if you have some luck and end up with one without issues (no/relatively low backlight bleeding/clouding/ips glow, good uniformity, no dust, etc)
QC on those monitors is pretty bad

Top Bottom