• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

ZanDatsu

My ASUS ROG PG279Q just arrived. I'm pretty pleased with it, zero dead pixels and loving the higher resolution (been using 1920x1200 since 2008). I've been told IPS are known for great color reproduction, but I have to say the color on my old 2008 NEC Multisync 24WMGX with an AMVA panel definitely has it beat in this regard. Colors are deeper and more rich, and the black levels are definitely much darker with the AMVA panel. Still, the IPS isn't bad at all, I might have just had higher expectations because IPS is always talked up as having great color reproduction.

The thing I'd like some feedback on is the backlight. I should say though, it definitely looks worse in this photo than it does when I'm just sitting in front of it, but do you guys think this is pretty typical for an IPS?

YXW5lcg.jpg

Again, just wanna emphasize it doesn't look as bad in person. The most noticeable thing is the subtle shimmer as I move my head around when it's a purely black background. Is that what is referred to as IPS glow?

derFeef

I have the same monitor for a few weeks now. I had a non gsync model before.

if the glow is changing when you change your viewpoint, it's IPS Glow.
If you see constant "white glow" on dark background, it's background bleeding, which you get especially in corners. Sadly it's just luck to get a good one with almost no background bleeding (or high QC you get with companies like Eizo).

My ASUS ROG PG279Q just arrived. I'm pretty pleased with it, zero dead pixels and loving the higher resolution (been using 1920x1200 since 2008). I've been told IPS are known for great color reproduction, but I have to say the color on my old 2008 NEC Multisync 24WMGX with an AMVA panel definitely has it beat in this regard. Colors are deeper and more rich, and the black levels are definitely much darker with the AMVA panel. Still, the IPS isn't bad at all, I might have just had higher expectations because IPS is always talked up as having great color reproduction.

The thing I'd like some feedback on is the backlight. I should say though, it definitely looks worse in this photo than it does when I'm just sitting in front of it, but do you guys think this is pretty typical for an IPS?

YXW5lcg.jpg

Again, just wanna emphasize it doesn't look as bad in person. The most noticeable thing is the subtle shimmer as I move my head around when it's a purely black background. Is that what is referred to as IPS glow?

Looks totally normal in the picture, and what you describe sounds exactly like ips glow. Shouldn't really be noticeable while gaming.

Water

Deeper black level makes everything pop, so unless you have a very trained eye or you've looked closely at specs/measurements, the impression of "deeper and more rich colors" could all be a result of the black level. That is to say, the display that seems to have duller colors could actually have better color accuracy and/or resolution. Of course the "deep feeling" is actually more important for the 99% of us who don't need an accurate display.

I recently bought a PG279Q for my school classroom, and while it's good hardware, I think I still get more enjoyment from my home display that is a 5000:1 VA panel at only 1080p, 120Hz and no G-Sync. "Deep" and "rich" are good terms to describe the difference. I really hope the local dimming monitors next year prove good enough to upgrade to. Have to see in person what the couple hundred dimming zones actually accomplish with difficult material.

Paragon

IPS is about color accuracy, not vividness.
The factory calibration for a 24WMGX³, as reviewed by TFT Central, looks much worse.
DeltaE is a measure of error, so lower is better, and anything above 3 is considered to be very inaccurate.

Compared to the PG279Q:

Make sure that you keep it in Racing Mode or sRGB Mode for accurate color, if it's anything like my PG348Q.
I don't know why, but instead of only adjusting the gamma, the other modes mess with the color accuracy too, and look really bad.

https://i.imgur.com/YXW5lcg.jpg
I mean, only you can decide whether it's acceptable or not. Is it something you notice in games, or only with a black screen?

Yes, it is - though I find that far less noticeable than the contrast hot-spotting that you get with VA panels. (especially newer, higher contrast VA panels)

Deeper black level makes everything pop, so unless you have a very trained eye or you've looked closely at specs/measurements, the impression of "deeper and more rich colors" could all be a result of the black level. That is to say, the display that seems to have duller colors could actually have better color accuracy and/or resolution. Of course the "deep feeling" is actually more important for the 99% of us who don't need an accurate display.

I recently bought a PG279Q for my school classroom, and while it's good hardware, I think I still get more enjoyment from my home display that is a 5000:1 VA panel at only 1080p, 120Hz and no G-Sync. "Deep" and "rich" are good terms to describe the difference. I really hope the local dimming monitors next year prove good enough to upgrade to. Have to see in person what the couple hundred dimming zones actually accomplish with difficult material.
While his old monitor uses a VA panel, it's lower contrast than the IPS panel used in the PG279Q.
As a counterpoint, the TV I was using before this has a 5000:1 native VA panel, and a full-array local dimming system which boosts that contrast significantly. I haven't missed the contrast at all, much to my surprise.
I would, of course, appreciate higher contrast if it came without any compromises, but the response time of the IPS panel is much better than VA, the viewing angle issues of high contrast VA panels have always bothered me, and the smoothness & responsiveness of G-Sync makes me want to avoid anything which doesn't support it.

kuYuri

I feel like we should make an OT for Adaptive Sync monitors (G-Sync + Freesync). New gen of monitors are coming out and even the XB1X has some of the technology built in. There is a growing interest despite the high price tag and I think it’s a good idea to make a new one with plenty of info and resources in the opening post.

Nezacant

I feel like we should make an OT for Adaptive Sync monitors (G-Sync + Freesync). New gen of monitors are coming out and even the XB1X has some of the technology built in. There is a growing interest despite the high price tag and I think it’s a good idea to make a new one with plenty of info and resources in the opening post.

Yes Please. :)

Hari Seldon

I'm looking to finally upgrade simply because I really want something higher than 60 Hz, anyone with a 24" recommendation that is at least 1440p? (preferably 16:10 but I don't think that this is too popular anymore)

Knurek

the viewing angle issues of high contrast VA panels have always bothered me, and the smoothness & responsiveness of G-Sync makes me want to avoid anything which doesn't support it.

I must say I'm really happy with viewing angles on my Z271 (VA Panel).
Only slightly (and I do mean slightly) worse than my secondary IPS monitor, noticeable pretty much only when viewing the screen from above. Way, way better than even a top-of-the-line TN panel.

Lothars

So I decided I am going to be ordering a ASUS ROG PG279Q and I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a second monitor? I want to keep it 1440p but that's pretty much the only requirement since it won't be used for gaming.

ZanDatsu

IPS is about color accuracy, not vividness.
The factory calibration for a 24WMGX³, as reviewed by TFT Central, looks much worse.
DeltaE is a measure of error, so lower is better, and anything above 3 is considered to be very inaccurate.

That's honestly surprising to me, maybe I do just prefer the vividness over the accuracy. The colors just seemed better on the old monitor, felt deeper.
Edit: Just checked the review myself and I remember reading it years ago actually. That picture you linked to was the factory settings which I definitely changed, the review itself shows just how better it is after calibrating. I remember myself it made a big difference. It even beats the PG279Qafter calibration.

calibrated.jpg

Edit2: Checked the review of the PG279Q and turns out once calibrated it actually wins. I've switched to the recommended settings here and think it does look better than what I was previously using when following TomsHardware's recommendation.

Make sure that you keep it in Racing Mode or sRGB Mode for accurate color, if it's anything like my PG348Q.
I don't know why, but instead of only adjusting the gamma, the other modes mess with the color accuracy too, and look really bad.

I've got it in Racing Mode with 47 brightness and 42 contrast, as recommended by TomsHardware. I still think it looks just a little washed out, and I've tried different settings but it's hard to judge what's best for everything.

I mean, only you can decide whether it's acceptable or not. Is it something you notice in games, or only with a black screen?

I can notice in any dark scenes and if I look to the sides, particularly the top right. I didn't expect perfection as I'd read so many accounts from people complaining about this issue before I bought it, but it's still a bit of a let down after spending so much money. I can live with it though.

Paragon

I must say I'm really happy with viewing angles on my Z271 (VA Panel).
Only slightly (and I do mean slightly) worse than my secondary IPS monitor, noticeable pretty much only when viewing the screen from above. Way, way better than even a top-of-the-line TN panel.
Oh it's much better than a TN panel, but the color washout, gamma shifting which causes the picture to wash out even more, and contrast hot-spotting where only a small portion of the screen actually displays the rated contrast all really bothers me.
After using a VA display for 7 years, moving to IPS and not having those issues has been really nice - even if it's lower contrast. For others, contrast is more important.

Here's a PG348Q (LG IPS) compared against the Omen X35 (AUO VA)
This should only be used to judge viewing angle rather than color accuracy - a lot of those differences will be due to the cameras.
The point is that the IPS panel doesn't wash out like the VA panel. The Omen images were taken from this review.

That's honestly surprising to me, maybe I do just prefer the vividness over the accuracy. The colors just seemed better on the old monitor, felt deeper.
Edit: Just checked the review myself and I remember reading it years ago actually. That picture you linked to was the factory settings which I definitely changed, the review itself shows just how better it is after calibrating. I remember myself it made a big difference. It even beats the PG279Q after calibration.
Unless you used a hardware calibrator to create an ICC profile for the monitor, you won't have had results like that. And if you did, you will have had banding issues thanks to the poor handling of ICC profiles with NVIDIA's consumer GPUs.
Considering that you have said how color is "deeper" it definitely sounds like the NEC was not accurately calibrated, as it's not even a higher contrast display.
The PG279Q also gets more accurate after calibration.

I've got it in Racing Mode with 47 brightness and 42 contrast, as recommended by TomsHardware. I still think it looks just a little washed out, and I've tried different settings but it's hard to judge what's best for everything.
I'm not sure why they would recommend that you drop the contrast setting, as the monitor does not clip at the default setting of 50.
EDIT: It's also strange that they would recommend 47 brightness. Going by TFT Central's review, that's about 200 nits which is double the SDR spec. 100 nits would be around 15 brightness.

Just got a new g-sync monitor 27inch 144 and it gives me nausea. Dont know if it's because im so close to the monitor and it being so big or if its just to fast. I remember installing warframe and the game was way to fast. Had to turn down mouse sensitivity to 10 because it was to fast lol.

And felt like puking.

ZanDatsu

Unless you used a hardware calibrator to create an ICC profile for the monitor, you won't have had results like that. And if you did, you will have had banding issues thanks to the poor handling of ICC profiles with NVIDIA's consumer GPUs.
Considering that you have said how color is "deeper" it definitely sounds like the NEC was not accurately calibrated, as it's not even a higher contrast display.
The PG279Q also gets more accurate after calibration.

I'm not sure why they would recommend that you drop the contrast setting, as the monitor does not clip at the default setting of 50.
It's also strange that they would recommend 47 brightness, since 25 brightness is 100 nits; i.e. the spec for SDR.

Yeah I updated my post after checking the review and following their recommendation. Finding it much better with these settings, wish I had it like this when I still had old monitor plugged in beside it, but yeah this seems to be just as good now, with the exception of the blacks not being quite as dark.

Paragon

Yeah I updated my post after checking the review and following their recommendation. Finding it much better with these settings, wish I had it like this when I still had old monitor plugged in beside it, but yeah this seems to be just as good now, with the exception of the blacks not being quite as dark.
TFT Central’s reviews indicate that the black level should be darker on the PG279Q if they are at the same brightness.
Whatever differences there are, I’m sure you will get used to.
I also updated my post, as I misremembered the brightness setting required for ~100 nits on the PG279Q: it’s ~15 rather than 25.

Durante

Ultimately, color accuracy isn't terribly important for media consumption (unless it's way off, which isn't the case on most monitors out of the box, and almost never after calibration).

I also hope that the local dimming displays fare well in that regard. Or else I'll get one of the new AU 3440×1440 VAs they just announced.

ZanDatsu

Just got a new g-sync monitor 27inch 144 and it gives me nausea. Dont know if it's because im so close to the monitor and it being so big or if its just to fast. I remember installing warframe and the game was way to fast. Had to turn down mouse sensitivity to 10 because it was to fast lol.

And felt like puking.

Motion blur can be a problem that makes things look/feel off when swiping the mouse around in games. I couldn't tell you what the difference is visually with motion blur and without it, but like you said it was almost nauseating until I enabled ULMB. This made things look more like how they did on my old monitor, but it means you're sacrificing g-sync. I think it's also more of an issue with IPS but not 100% sure.

Here's a dumb question:

I have a 144hz monitor with GSync. If I'm playing games where I can't get above 144 FPS (even with a 1080ti I find I can't get above 144 in most games), is it worth keeping GSync turned on? Does it actually do anything at that point?

dVeLoPe

explain to me why i need gysnc?

i have a 6c/12thread i7 and a 1080 ti

my 120 hz from 2011 and my 144 hz from 2017

owned a pg248q overclocked to 180hz and stock anmd couldnt notice a diff..

Goldenhen

Here's a dumb question:

I have a 144hz monitor with GSync. If I'm playing games where I can't get above 144 FPS (even with a 1080ti I find I can't get above 144 in most games), is it worth keeping GSync turned on? Does it actually do anything at that point?
The whole point of G-Sync is to remove the stutter and screen tearing. So yes keep it turn on.

Akronis

So I've had trouble replacing my VG248QE w/ G-SYNC; I can't find a monitor that doesn't have backlight bleed issues or ghosting or overdrive artifacts. I've tried a VA panel and one of Dell's TN panels. VA had awful ghosting or overdrive. TN had horrible backlight bleed. I'd prefer no IPS due to IPS glow, which would bother the shit out of me. Trying to find something at 1080p because I much prefer locked 120+fps over higher res.

Is there anything better at this point? Or am I stuck with the VG248QE? I don't mind it much, but its color gamut blows.

Knurek

So I've had trouble replacing my VG248QE w/ G-SYNC; I can't find a monitor that doesn't have backlight bleed issues or ghosting or overdrive artifacts. I've tried a VA panel and one of Dell's TN panels. VA had awful ghosting or overdrive. TN had horrible backlight bleed. I'd prefer no IPS due to IPS glow, which would bother the shit out of me. Trying to find something at 1080p because I much prefer locked 120+fps over higher res.

Have you tried changing the overdrive mode on VA panel?
My Z271 has terrible, terrible overdrive artifacts on the highest mode, but pretty much no ghosting and no artifacts on the medium mode, as evident here.

Vipu

Banned
Here's a dumb question:

G-sync only works when fps is under the screens hz.
So yes, obviously its worth keeping it turned on :D

Genei_Jin

Neo Member
I asked this in a different thread and didn't get a response. Maybe I can get an answer here.

What's is better / has less input lag / better experience overall? In game frame limiter or RTSS?

For example:

I have a 144hz display. On a game like vanquish, should I set the FPS to 120 in the game to make sure the Nvidia V-Sync doesn't kick on?

or

Should I set the FPS to 144 in the game and set the refresh rate to 140hz in RTSS?

Blitzhex

Set destiny 2 to uncapped and set framecap (method in d2 pc performance thread latest page) to 140 or any lower number if you have 144hz.

jaybe00

Neo Member
After a vacation in early November, I look forward to picking up a g-sync monitor and being done with screen tearing and v-sync for good.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I am fucking sick of this shit.
3 monitors in all of them returned.

1 ultra wide ips lg broke after 8 months.
2 43 sony x80 (shit hdr made text looks like crap)
3 32 inch 4k samsung freesync monitor va panel. unusable color shifting nightmare.

i currently own a dell ultrashap 27 inch 5 years old !! 10 bit color nothing i have bought tops this thing.

should i try gsync ? i am about to give up on modern monitors they all look horrible imo

ComJkTZl.jpg

700 dollar screen this ?? never again

MultiCore

3 32 inch 4k samsung freesync monitor va panel. unusable color shifting nightmare.

i currently own a dell ultrashap 27 inch 5 years old !! 10 bit color nothing i have bought tops this thing.

should i try gsync ? i am about to give up on modern monitors they all look horrible imo

ComJkTZl.jpg

I absolutely agree with you, LCD has always been garbage.

I think you need to hold out for OLED since SED is dead.

ComJkTZl.jpg

Gsync has nothing to do with color accuracy; it's all about image stability and responsiveness while gaming.

There's no perfect screen at the moment, but I'd give up true blacks and color accuracy anytime for the benefits of g-sync (or freesync, even though it's clearly inferior).

We'll see how OLED 4K gsync hdr screens will perform. I'm happy with my asus rog, even if it's just a TN panel. I understand how you feel though xD

llien

Yes please, and if possible, with title that doesn't sound like a blatant advertisement.

I'm looking to finally upgrade simply because I really want something higher than 60 Hz, anyone with a 24" recommendation that is at least 1440p? (preferably 16:10 but I don't think that this is too popular anymore)

If I'm gonna get a gsync 1440p or higher I would personally wait for something decent at 32inches. But that's my preference. I don't think that size is out yet.

BPoole

I have a freesync monitor but switched to Nvidia due to the inflated Vega 64 prices and somewhat underwhelming power.

After using Freesync for about a year, going back to regular 144Hz gaming with Nvidia's Fast Sync isn't too noticeably different from Freesync/G Sync

If I'm gonna get a gsync 1440p or higher I would personally wait for something decent at 32inches. But that's my preference. I don't think that size is out yet.

I think 27" is the best size for 1440, pixel density is a bit higher than a 24" 1080p. 32" is a little too big for 1440 IMO

Rains

I need some help regaurding Gsync i have the x34a and have gsync on i also have vsync on as well in the Nvidia control panel i keep reading different suggestions some say keep it on and others say it should be off which is it ????

ice2kewl

Neo Member
I need some help regaurding Gsync i have the x34a and have gsync on i also have vsync on as well in the Nvidia control panel i keep reading different suggestions some say keep it on and others say it should be off which is it ????
I always turn vsync off in-game when gaming thru gsync. AFAIK there's no need to keep it on when u got gsync running. Further, turning vsync of should give u better game performance as well. (Pls correct me if I'm wrong)

chinoXL

I always turn vsync off in-game when gaming thru gsync. AFAIK there's no need to keep it on when u got gsync running. Further, turning vsync of should give u better game performance as well. (Pls correct me if I'm wrong)

I have it off in game as well but have it set to fast in the NV control panel. Smooth as butter with those settings

Rains

I have it off in game as well but have it set to fast in the NV control panel. Smooth as butter with those settings
So i should have it set to fast in the Nvidia control panel but in game settings off is this correct i love pc gaming but some of the options are confusing

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
sorry for bumping an old thread. if there is a newer one i apologise, well, i just bought a FreeSync monitor and of course we can now use FreeSync with Nvidia GPUs.

HOLY SHIT! i thought it was just an expensive gimmick but this changes everything. i loaded up Witcher 3 at Ultra with hairworks at 4K. i was hovering about 50-55fps in the swamp area. usually that would be a total no go but with G sync enabled it felt totally smooth. i honest couldn't feel any changes in framerate and couldn't even tell the difference between 50, 55, 60fps.

this needs to become standard in all monitors/tvs going forward.

TLZ

Banned
sorry for bumping an old thread. if there is a newer one i apologise, well, i just bought a FreeSync monitor and of course we can now use FreeSync with Nvidia GPUs.

HOLY SHIT! i thought it was just an expensive gimmick but this changes everything. i loaded up Witcher 3 at Ultra with hairworks at 4K. i was hovering about 50-55fps in the swamp area. usually that would be a total no go but with G sync enabled it felt totally smooth. i honest couldn't feel any changes in framerate and couldn't even tell the difference between 50, 55, 60fps.

this needs to become standard in all monitors/tvs going forward.
I can't wait for this to happen. I'm hoping next gen does all this with hdmi 2.1. Making framerate issues, pacing and screen tearing a thing of the past.

TLZ

Banned
Xbox One X is already doing Variable Refresh Rate and supports 1440p@120 Hrz. :lollipop_grinning:
I know yea. I actually meant as a whole; all consoles, TV's etc. I think currently we only have a couple TV's that support it right?

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
the only thing saving me from shelling out for gsync right now is s-sync, god bless the programmer
I could never get that to work. I would get constant screen tearing no matter what.

I was gonna get a gsync monitor but the only monitor with the same specs as the freesync one I got was more than double the price.

I don't even have an official validated by Nvidia monitor. Just do a bit of research to check if the monitor you're gonna buy works.

Top Bottom