• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G20 Hamburg Summit - Hype Thread!

Xando

NTV reports
- 197 police men injured
- press not allowed to (physically) follow the police on their operation in the Schanzenviertel; photographer who filmed them/followed was hit with baton

Not to defend them but police always cracks down on media when GSG9 is in action. They really want them to work in secret.

jstripes

Banned
5XlT4Xv.png

Dandte

iPhone 6 tho

uADDVuW.gif

don't worry, they upgraded

What were they thinking picking Hamburg as a venue - the centre of the riots has a long history of protests and an established scene that knows the place in and out of course.
I hope people whose property was damaged get some support from the government and the city because this is also on them.

Merkel was born in Hamburg and our City has the title "Tor zur Welt" - " Gate to the world". It was her wish to held the summit in hamburg.

What were they thinking picking Hamburg as a venue - the centre of the riots has a long history of protests and an established scene that knows the place in and out of course.
I hope people whose property was damaged get some support from the government and the city because this is also on them.

This puzzles me as well; demographics, public support, geography, history and police experience/capacity all make it less than optimal for a massive public order operation (with resources already massively drained providing security for visiting dignitaries.)

Feels to me like they relied too much on containment measures that failed earlier in the day and they've been scrambling to catch up as the unrest spread across several areas that weren't part of the equation in the planning phases. Belatedly bringing in units with entry/room clearing capability suggests they weren't prepared for barricaded rioters either.

Merkel was born in Hamburg and our City has the title "Tor zur Welt" - " Gate to the world". It was her wish to held the summit in hamburg.

Oh.

Nah, they really aren't interested in that. They are just rioting to riot. There is no cause here, there is no movement, this is just people being idiots.

This is as meaningless as Brexit means Brexit. For a start people riot because they are willing to get arrested and possibly imprisoned. You can't remove the fact it is an anti-social act that can lead to prison time. Then you can consider the socio-economic position of people involved in rioting, and then start to consider their reasoning.

Xando

I have this feeling the people of hamburg could have done without that gesture

Well it's one of these politician idea projects.

Everyone from the city could have told you this would happen and IIRC polls were something 75% of people living here being against it

Edit:

It looks like some of the Black Bloc are already gone and riot in other streets nearby

This is as meaningless as Brexit means Brexit. For a start people riot because they are willing to get arrested and possibly imprisoned. You can't remove the fact it is an anti-social act that can lead to prison time. Then you can consider the socio-economic position of people involved in rioting, and then start to consider their reasoning.
I don't get the argument. I'm just saying that these people don't have a motive other then that they want to fuck things up. They use some talking points about capitalism and such as an excuse, but they aren't really there to protest or to try and change anything. These are not poor people left behind or ignored by the state.

PnCIa

You are not making much sense here. What do you think is the goal of those people in the livestream?

lush

lol

So brave.

Theonik

I don't get the argument. I'm just saying that these people don't have a motive other then that they want to fuck things up. They use some talking points about capitalism and such as an excuse, but they aren't really there to protest or to try and change anything. These are not poor people left behind or ignored by the state.
I mean who knows. Considering what happens to rioters these people must think they have nothing to lose which either means they are wrong or the system has failed them. It is also common that the people who start riots are government plants to justify breaking demonstrations for control purposes.

Jesus that REWE looks like a bomb exploded in it
Nothing of value was lost.

Hope that supermarket was insured. Nothing left.

I mean who knows. Considering what happens to rioters these people must think they have nothing to lose which either means they are wrong or the system has failed them. It is also common that the people who start riots are government plants to justify breaking demonstrations for control purposes.
Come on, government plants? This is heading in some tin foil direction.

They have nothing to lose, because they don't care. They have every opportunity to follow a free education, get a job, get government support, etc, etc. These are not marginalized groups fighting for their rights. They can get by just fine if they wanted to. Instead, they chose to do this.

Will someone please think of the Starbucks windows?

This shit was looking like a street party when I stopped looking.

Looting? Meh.

This is what democracy looks like.

If they were doing shit like . that in China they would of been gunned down.

It's good for people to blow off some steam the geopolitical landscape has been a cluster fuck.

Rather like this and a bit of property damage than some crazy fuck with an ar15 shooting up a baseball field.

You are not making much sense here. What do you think is the goal of those people in the livestream?

You two are simplifying the actions of people into Dail-Mail level nonsense.

People don't commit crime to commit crime, that's right-wing bullshit.

They are rioting because they are in a position to do so, they are commiting criminal and anti-social acts because the impact of them has no bearing on their life circumstances.

Dandte

Schwippwhat?

Spezi is a classic soft drink made in Germany by mixing cola with orange soda. Locally, orange soda is also widely known as Fanta. Spezi is a genericized trademark; owner of the trademark is Brauhaus Riegele in Augsburg, Germany. When the brand was registered in 1956, Riegele at first was selling beer under the trademark. When Spezi is bottled by other breweries, it usually runs under the official title "Cola-Mix" or "Mezzo-Mix".

Schwip Schwap is how Pepsi.Co is naming it. You should try it!

They are rioting because they are in a position to do so, they are commiting criminal and anti-social acts because the impact of them has no bearing on their life circumstances.
But in this case, they are in a position to do so, because they choose that position themselves. I have no sympathy for people like this.

I really think you are making things more complicated and in this thread have put more thought into the motivation of the rioters, then the rioters themselves.

Some people do commit crimes to commit them. This happens all the time, for example with hooligans.

Looting? Meh.

It's good for people to blow off some steam the geopolitical landscape has been a cluster fuck.

Rather like this and a bit of property damage than some crazy fuck with an ar15 shooting up a baseball field.
Can I burn down your car and loot your business tomorrow? Just using my democratic rights.

Nobody in this thread has said anything about shooting people down, you are just making arguments up.

Xe4

Banned

Looting? Meh.

Yeah man, throwing glass and firecrackers at police is just blowing off steam. This is totally what happens in a democracy.

Please, just because you live in a democracy doesn't give you a right to riot and shit, especially when others get hurt.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Looting? Meh.

Hope you don't mind it when your house or livelihood is destroyed by rampaging unchecked "democracy"

PnCIa

Didn't make a link collection, but start with Frank Schneider on Twitter
Thanks.

Again, what do you think is their goal here?

Initally you wrote something about anti-establishment...

It's fair to say that people who smash up shops and burn cars are against the current social and political systems in place.

It may go against your romantic ideas bringing down the system with anti-Trump memes and biting internet discussion forum comments, but rejecting social norms by smashing shit up is anti-establishment.

Then you went on to this:

You say they don't want change, but it's pretty obvious hey don't want things to stay the same. Civil unrest comes in many forms.

What is your point? You have switched your focus 3 times in 3 posts.

Xando

Looting? Meh.

You need to fuck off.

They're literally burning peoples cars and homes. This is not blow off some steam.

You should be ashamed of yourself for even saying this.

Looting? Meh.

Rule of law tho

Theonik

Come on, government plants? This is heading in some tin foil direction.
Pretty common police riot control practice. Typically used when protests exceed their capability to control the crowds and/or protests are risking getting out of containment zones setup by police in advance.

They have nothing to lose, because they don't care. They have every opportunity to follow a free education, get a job, get government support, etc, etc. These are not marginalized groups fighting for their rights. They can get by just fine if they wanted to. Instead, they chose to do this.
I am not really defending these groups. Just indicating that their existence is a failure of society, which it is.

Pretty common police riot control practice. Typically used when protests exceed their capability to control the crowds and/or protests are risking getting out of containment zones setup by police in advance.

I am not really defending these groups. Just indicating that their existence is a failure of society, which it is.
What interest does the police have here to cause a riot? It makes no sense.

And this is not a failure of society. Sometimes, people are just responsible for their own situation and actions. This is one of those cases. These are not oppressed people, there is no racism against them, they are not lacking in opportunities. They make their own choice here.

lush

Bunch of opportunists/anarchists rioting to riot whilst taking away from actual protesters with actual messages. Destroying personal property, retail storefronts and assaulting people whilst completely covered in black to avoid being identified. Hell yeah bud, fight the power.

Dandte

Interesting. I might try some when I'm in Freiburg in a couple of weeks. Or... just put a bit of Fanta in my Coke right now? Or even better, Tango in my Coke. Brb

My fav. is the Spezi from the Paulaner Beer Brewery. You should try that one!
After that try a typical hamburgian alsterwasser.
In northern Germany, a half-and-half made of Pilsner beer and lemonade is known as an Alster (short for Alsterwasser, German for "Water from the Alster", a river around which the city of Hamburg is situated).

Btt: They made it to the flora without problems? Didn't expected that tbh.

they are not lacking in opportunities

This is a bit divorced from reality to be honest.
Not saying that this is true for many of the protestors, just wanted to note that. It is true for quite a few in Germany.

But that is a whole other discussion that was partially held in the German Federal Election thread already.

Rule of law tho

Civil disobedience tho.

Cars are insured and replaceable.

Shop windows mendable. Goods stolen restored.

And justice will come to a lot of these people, just like in the London riots it still caught up to people after.

I don't condone violence, but you can't pretend that geopoltically it feels like a pressure cooker.

I tell you who I wouldn't with me during ye olde Bastille Day and that's you fuckers.

Obviously though I would stress blinding people and breaking others physically is messed up.

But again, this will help people blow off steam in an increasingly stressful time. And I stand by that.

Trying to litigate specific actions by individuals in a riot is stupid anyway its like labelled all American cops stupid and racist because a couple of bad eggs. #notallrioters

Bunch of opportunists/anarchists rioting to riot whilst taking away from actual protesters with actual messages. Destroying personal property, retail storefronts and assaulting people whilst completely covered in black to avoid being identified. Hell yeah bud, fight the power.

Agreed.

This is so garbage to me. This does NOTHING to stop trump or further any kind of progressive agenda. If anything this says we need MORE police. Very sad.

I just always think what if that was my car or my shop and I have been on the side of all this equality and progressive change like what did I do to deserve this.

People talk about empathy, feel for the people are either hurt, or have nothing due to this carnage...

Xando

Btt: They made it to the flora without problems? Didn't expected that tbh.

Looks like most of the rioters went into hiding or left the scene before they got there and the people left were just the idiots cheering on them which capitulate instantly when they see water cannons and tanks coming in their direction.

Already reports of violence elsewhere.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
I always wonder the percentage of rioters that are protesters that are riled up to the point of lack of judgement, people so anti-capitalist that they are ok with destroying personal property to make a statement, or general thieves using the cover of protest to get away with low risk robbery.

Doubt there are studies. Any people with anecdotal stories? Never been a part of a riot...

This is a bit divorced from reality to be honest.
Not saying that this is true for many of the protestors, just wanted to note that. It is true for quite a few in Germany.

But that is a whole other discussion that was partially held in the German Federal Election thread already.
Bit off-topic maybe, you are right. But compared to people who manage to get through the day just fine without looting, they have the same opportunities. I'm not against protesting, far from it. I don't even mind some use of force and disruption, but this clearly went to far in Hamburg now.

Civil disobedience tho.

And justice will come to a lot of these people, just like in the London riots it still caught up to people after.

I don't condone violence, but you can't pretend that geopoltically it feels like a pressure cooker.

I tell you who I wouldn't with me during ye olde Bastille Day and that's you fuckers.

Obviously though I would stress blinding people and breaking others physically is messed up.

But again, this will help people blow off steam in an increasingly stressful time. And I stand by that.

Trying to litigate specific actions by individuals in a riot is stupid anyway its like labelled all American cops stupid and racist because a couple of bad eggs. #notallrioters
Cars are not always insured against riots I think. And there is a deductible. People also don't get their original value back, but the current day price, which sucks if you need to replace your car now.

Shops are not always run by large corporations. Imagine running your single shop and some idiots loot it. That is a lot of costs for you that nobody is going to reimburse you for.

This is not blowing off steam in stressful times. This is people going out to riot and others grabbing onto the opportunity to join in. Don't make excuses for this behavior.

Would you make these same excuses for football hooligans?

Theonik

What interest does the police have here to cause a riot? It makes no sense.

And this is not a failure of society. Sometimes, people are just responsible for their own situation and actions. This is one of those cases. These are not oppressed people, there is no racism against them, they are not lacking in opportunities. They make their own choice here.
I am not talking necessarily about this particular instance. As to why, it usually facilitates breaking up the protest quicker, justifying the force necessary to make the desired arrests but it can backfire and when it does you get these kinds of results!

Also hmm, societies are built on the idea of individual and collective responsibility. Individuals are responsible for their own actions, but society as a whole is a collective of individuals thus for the system to function correctly and indeed when the system functions correctly criminality tends to be quite low!

Wamb0wneD

Interesting. I might try some when I'm in Freiburg in a couple of weeks. Or... just put a bit of Fanta in my Coke right now? Or even better, Tango in my Coke. Brb

I don't know what the hell Tango is but if it doesn't taste well still try it with Fanta.

Civil disobedience tho.

You're trying to normalize rioting by "blowing off steam"...???

So everyone has rioter insurance? Good to know.

marrec

Banned
I always wonder the percentage of rioters that are protesters that are riled up to the point of lack of judgement, people so anti-capitalist that they are ok with destroying personal property to make a statement, or general thieves using the cover of protest to get away with low risk robbery.

Doubt there are studies. Any people with anecdotal stories? Never been a part of a riot...

In my experience, the actual number of protesters with a cause and a message far outweigh the shits. It all depends on the event. Where it is, what's surrounding it, the events leading up to it. Each should probably be judged on it's own instead of thrown into a big bucket o' riot that we all look down on with the same disdain.

G[X] summits usually bring out the worst of the affluent fucks who can travel large distances just to fuck up other people stuff imo

Kinyou

Civil disobedience tho.

Maybe if those people were actually storming the bastille I'd have some sympathy. Instead the whole idea is just to destroy random stuff.

Top Bottom