• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G20 Hamburg Summit - Hype Thread!

I am not talking necessarily about this particular instance. As to why, it usually facilitates breaking up the protest quicker, justifying the force necessary to make the desired arrests but it can backfire and when it does you get these kinds of results!

Also hmm, societies are built on the idea of individual and collective responsibility. Individuals are responsible for their own actions, but society as a whole is a collective of individuals thus for the system to function correctly and indeed when the system functions correctly criminality tends to be quite low!
Crime is quite low. These riots are a pretty unique event. If this happened throughout Germany every month, it could sign towards other problems. In this case though, not so much. The rioters will go home afterwards (maybe identified and arrested later on) and wait for the next opportunity.

You're trying to normalize rioting by "blowing off steam"...???

So everyone has rioter insurance? Good to know.

This isn't normalising rioting, I mean don't Americans riot when their sports team loses?

Haven't people literally died during a black Friday stampede to get good prices on things? Has anyone died in these riots?

And we're trying to cry about smashed windows with sincerity? Oh and I'm normalising rioting now?

I guarantee you, after a week if that everything will be completely restored and back to normal.

This is what democracy looks like mang.

patapuf

Civil disobedience tho.

Cars are insured and replaceable.

Shop windows mendable. Goods stolen restored.

And justice will come to a lot of these people, just like in the London riots it still caught up to people after.

I don't condone violence, but you can't pretend that geopoltically it feels like a pressure cooker.

I tell you who I wouldn't with me during ye olde Bastille Day and that's you fuckers.

Obviously though I would stress blinding people and breaking others physically is messed up.

But again, this will help people blow off steam in an increasingly stressful time. And I stand by that.

Trying to litigate specific actions by individuals in a riot is stupid anyway its like labelled all American cops stupid and racist because a couple of bad eggs. #notallrioters

Lol, that comparison is an insult to people that actually fight against oppressors.

Destroying a leftist neighbourhood in Hamburg by looting and destroying random stuff isn't exactly a revolutionary action.

It's good to know that all these people living there are fully insured and will not suffer at all though.

This isn't normalising rioting, I mean don't Americans riot when their sports team loses?

Haven't people literally died during a black Friday stampede to get good prices on things? Has anyone died in these riots?

And we're trying to cry about smashed windows with sincerity? Oh and I'm normalising rioting now?

I guarantee you, after a week if that everything will be completely restored and back to normal.

What? So you compare these riots to riots of sports fans and Black Friday stampedes. And then you say that is what democracy looks like.

You make no sense at all here.

And again you are refusing to see that burned down cars and looted shops of regular people will have a real negative impact on them. Can I loot your house because apparently that is what democracy looks like for you?

Xando

Yes i‘m sure all these small shops and workers have special anti riot insurance and will be just fine next week.

You are spouting nonsense and have no clue what you’re talking about. Even worse you’re legitimizing people shooting metal bullets and throwing rocks at the police.

No it doesn't this is what anarchy and chaos look like.

Carn82

I'm suprised people actually let their bikes out in the open instead of locking them in the house/basement.

This is where I live.

bikes-in-utrecht.jpg

Thanks.

Again, what do you think is their goal here?

Initally you wrote something about anti-establishment...

Then you went on to this:

What is your point? You have switched your focus 3 times in 3 posts.

People smash stuff up because they're against the system. Smashing stuff up is anti-social, destructive, and can lead to criminal conviction and a prison term. It's obviously not commited by people who are content.

What? So you compare these riots to riots of sports fans and Black Friday stampedes. And then you say that is what democracy looks like.

You make no sense at all here.

My point being trying to litigate mob/riot behaviour is futile.

They are blowing off steam, and stress testing protest and stress testing police response. I think this is good for democracy and civil society.

There has always been riots during times of high stress. Always, but trying to go all forensic files on random acts of stupidity and aggression from mob behaviour won't get you anywhere.

We're animals at the end of the day.

Like what do you guys want the police to do? Open fire? There's too many of them.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe if those people were actually storming the bastille I'd have some sympathy. Instead the whole idea is just to destroy random stuff.

Would be interesting if for once these groups actually targeted individual actors rather than just whatever is at hand with an obvious mob mentality.

Dandte

It's good to know that all these people living there are fully insured and will not suffer at all though.

We have multiple ways of insuring cars etc. If you only have a Teilkaskoversicherung which even isn't the lowest priced one you are only insured for fire raising. If you have a Vollkaskoversicherung you are insured against vandalism...if you don't have these insurances..well the bus is you newest best friend, or the bank and a huge debt.

patapuf

We have multiple ways of insuring cars etc. If you only have a Teilkaskoversicherung which even isn't the lowest priced one you are only insured for fire raising. If you have a Vollkaskoversicherung you are insured against vandalism...if you don't have these insurances..well the bus is you newest best friend, or the bank and a huge debt.

i know, i should have put an /s.

The idea that tonight will blow over in a week with no consequences for the people living there is ludicrous.

PnCIa

Oh boy. You are really pulling out those false equivalences now huh.
I hope you are just rambling when you think that this is what democracy looks like. Because its bullshit.

I don't defend rioting, but I believe riots will grow in size and frequency over the next 20 years across western democracy and people should think there's maybe more to it than people like to riot.

Realyn

I don't defend rioting, but I believe riots will grow in size and frequency over the next 20 years across western democracy and people should think there's maybe more too it than people like to riot.

Yeah rioting against globialism while cheering the Domino's dude delivering a pizza while communicating with whatsapp using your brand new iPhone 9 deluxe while setting lower class cars on fire all makes so much sense right.

For real acting as if there's any reason behind those actions is borderline stupid.

I don't defend rioting, but I believe riots will grow in size and frequency over the next 20 years across western democracy and people should think there's maybe more to it than people like to riot.

And the police state will just grow as a "look at the lefties the can't behave".

Maybe I should run for politics...Id like to think Bernie got screwed from ALL angles and what we should be doing is energizing our base for the next round to decimate the right. This helps absolutely no one except the right.

Feeling ashamed for my country, this escalation is as close as you can get to give the "both sides" argument any merit.

It's good that the official protests try to distance themselves from the black block in statements but there seems to be zero effort to weed them out of their ranks.
Their whole agenda is undermined by stupid teenagers and riot tourists. They should heavily work together with the police to snitch out anyone packing suspicious gear etc. Wishful thinking of course.

Ideally we should send in some buses full of far right wingers and ultra hooligans so that they can all battle it out without involving the normal population...

Lucumo

Yeah rioting against globialism while cheering the Domino's dude delivering a pizza while communicating with whatsapp using your brand new iPhone 9 deluxe while setting lower class cars on fire all makes so much sense right.

For real acting as if there's any reason behind those actions is borderline stupid.

People just have too much time on their hands while living a pretty good life. That would be the "problem".

I fully support police clubbing actual rioters down, arresting them and making them pay for the damage they caused.

Condom

So I arrived in Hamburg a couple of hours ago, I have never seen such a police presence in my life.

Hopefully the march can be done peacefully but with this much police and the chance of violent anarchists hiding in between other protestors it can also go bad. We'll see.

Dandte

So I arrived in Hamburg a couple of hours ago, I have never seen such a police presence in my life.

Hopefully the march can be done peacefully but with this much police and the chance of violent anarchists hiding in between other protestors it can also go bad. We'll see.

Good luck. Stay Safe.

KDR_11k

This is as meaningless as Brexit means Brexit. For a start people riot because they are willing to get arrested and possibly imprisoned. You can't remove the fact it is an anti-social act that can lead to prison time. Then you can consider the socio-economic position of people involved in rioting, and then start to consider their reasoning.

Hooligans fight in order to fight, they treat it like a team-based fight club. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the rioters are fighting just because they want a fight.

El-Suave

Ideally we should send in some buses full of far right wingers and ultra hooligans so that they can all battle it out without involving the normal population...

So more people dressed in black and masked who hate the state and especially the police and who don't care for the property of civilians. There probably were many aggressive Ultras there already, a lot of them are left leaning. I wouldn't be surprised if they found out that they had many more unifying interests at that moment than things that seperate them.

Oersted

So more people dressed in black and masked who hate the state and especially the police and who don't care for the property of civilians. There probably were many aggressive Ultras there already, a lot of them are left leaning. I wouldn't be surprised if they found out that they had many more unifying interests at that moment than things that seperate them.

The police and in particular Hoppe isn't so unpopular among the far right in Germany.

My point being trying to litigate mob/riot behaviour is futile.

They are blowing off steam, and stress testing protest and stress testing police response. I think this is good for democracy and civil society.

There has always been riots during times of high stress. Always, but trying to go all forensic files on random acts of stupidity and aggression from mob behaviour won't get you anywhere.

We're animals at the end of the day.

Like what do you guys want the police to do? Open fire? There's too many of them.
You are joking right? They are stress testing police response and that is good for democracy?

They are destroying peoples property and physically hurting people. And you are excusing that as blowing off some steam. Want to blow off steam? Go to the gym.

Nobody here is saying police should open fire. That is all in your head. There is a middle ground between doing nothing and shooting people. And last night Hamburg police did that, by going in with riot police. It just took a bit too long, causing a lot of damage.

Edit: And as predicted, that woman standing on the police vehicle being pepper sprayed is in the papers with her picture. Nice framing to make the police look like the bad guys against the poor protesters. Mission accomplished.

Nobody here is saying police should open fire.

I would be actually in favor of this, using rubber pellets of course. And only in such extreme situations (because I'm aware that those kind of bullets can still be dangerous).
You need something that creates enough lasting pain and damage that the criminal in question does not just run away and loots the next shop in another street.

They are criminals, plain and simple. Outside of a demonstration, no one would bat an eye if the police would use any non-lethal force to stop a robbery, a weapon-wielding madman or someone throwing Molotov cocktails at the police.

From my point of view, the German police is too confrontational/aggressive with peaceful protesters and too hands-off with the black block. The latter is probably mostly influenced by their public image. Don't want images of police shredding a crowd of people I guess.

Condom

You guys are talking more about the rioters than the 200k of peaceful protestors.

The ones changing the narrative are you here, not the rightwing media or whatever.

From my point of view, the German police is too confrontational/aggressive with peaceful protesters and too hands-off with the black block. The latter is probably mostly influenced by their public image. Don't want images of police shredding a crowd of people I guess.

The big problem with peaceful protesters are that often some of the block are mixing with them, throwing shit from those positions and then making the peaceful ones look like violent ones.

You guys are talking more about the rioters than the 200k of peaceful protestors.

The ones changing the narrative are you here, not the rightwing media or whatever.
We are not changing any narrative, these things happened yesterday. That there are a lot of peaceful protesters is fine and great for them, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss the other events also.

Oersted

We are consuming media and the media focusses on violence, especially that kind of violence which makes a good picture

Top Bottom