• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell is #134 on Forbes' richest people of USA 2016 list

Hellshy.

How would they estimate his net worth when value don't release any data?

Still the jump from September 2016($2.2B) to August($4.1B) is insane if anyway near accurate.

Good question bc from what I hAve read forbes only has access to public info and insider info and that's it. I wouldn't be surprised if some o the list below him are really worth more.

Renekton

People talking about valve's "monopoly" make an interesting argument.
It is kind of like how google "monopolize" the internet and no one cares because the services they provide are mostly superior to the competition.
Dude put together a killer service and its making him bank. Good for him.
Google is subject to a ton of government scrutiny and regulations worldwide. Valve has a freer rein as a PC gaming monopoly.

I'm still waiting for the day for Valve to go public... which will probably be never. I am on standby though. I would sell 70% of shares I have now just to buy into Valve.

I'd love to invest in a company that's ran like a high school. what could go wrong lol

shagia

Hence why no half life 3, no point now that Steam is a cash cow

afaik the developers that work at valve are still free to work on "anything they want" even with Steam being a cash cow. (according to the 2012 employee handbook)
Source2 and their VR development still very much shows that they're interested in creating new experiences IMO, and not just bringing past games to a new engine.

In addition to this, their release history has always been very, very odd. Call me crazy but I still have hope, just silent "will wait for some more years" hope

riotous

Banned
Google is subject to a ton of government scrutiny and regulations worldwide. Valve has a freer rein as a PC gaming monopoly.

From a legal perspective simply having a dominant sales channel doesn't make you a monopoly. They've done nothing wrong; and aren't even close to a "monopoly" in the generic sense any more (partly because they've done nothing wrong, don't use strong arm tactics, etc.)

MRORANGE

Disgusting.

This guy advocated for a DRM platform that forces developers t cough up 30% of their profits to sell on their store, the bandwidth infrastructure that this guy has is not even worth 5% it's just hoarding off profits from strapped cashed developers who are forced to use steam as Steam has a monopoly on PC gaming.

Steam has become too big and powerful, they even tried to create their own platform with SteamOS, allowing 100% control on what we play on our devices. They really need to look at the service they are providing as it is a joke - they are the largest Dd network in the world and still have no real tech support to refund games.

I'm honestly surprised that Steam hadn't been listed as malware considering the amount of adverts it spams your computer.

AHA-Lambda

World of Warcraft is still a beast in revenue. And Overwatch is above any Steam game too. I don't think if it's bigger but their games makes a lot of money.

tPJMxxe.png

DgM3f0K.png

oh I know that such individual games like LoL, Overwatch etc are huge and exceed some individual Steam games but the user I quoted said battle.net eclipsed Steam worldwide, as if he was meaning the platform in general and there's simply no way that's the case.

Battle.net has something like a dozen games on it, Steam has thousands.

Renekton

From a legal perspective simply having a dominant sales channel doesn't make you a monopoly. They've done nothing wrong; and aren't even close to a "monopoly" in the generic sense any more (partly because they've done nothing wrong, don't use strong arm tactics, etc.)
It is far more than a sales channel, it is a platform at least.

Theosmeo

He's not going to make anymore games because that would require him to do actual work, he's succeeded in his plan to do nothing and rake in tons of money(because small developers are scared their games won't get noticed on any other PC platform) and have tons of adoring fans somehow. All of this despite his store having no quality control and having absolutely garbage mobile storefronts.

Disgusting.

This guy advocated for a DRM platform that forces developers t cough up 30% of their profits to sell on their store, the bandwidth infrastructure that this guy has is not even worth 5% it's just hoarding off profits from strapped cashed developers who are forced to use steam as Steam has a monopoly on PC gaming.

Steam has become too big and powerful, they even tried to create their own platform with SteamOS, allowing 100% control on what we play on our devices. They really need to look at the service they are providing as it is a joke - they are the largest Dd network in the world and still have no real tech support to refund games.

I'm honestly surprised that Steam hadn't been listed as malware considering the amount of adverts it spams your computer.
This is too obvious mrorange. You're losing your touch.

Kayant

Good question bc from what I hAve read forbes only has access to public info and insider info and that's it. I wouldn't be surprised if some o the list below him are really worth more.
Yh which I why I question that jump I mean it's possible but it's still a ridiculous increase in such a small time frame then again maybe some big releases happened within that time but can't remember.
Disgusting.

Notbadbait.jpeg

yophlow

Banned
He's probably worth hundreds of millions, if not billions. Could be worth even more than the article states.

But having been somewhat involved with seeing how these types of articles get made, they are garbage. They literally take whatever figure they might be able to find, then make some assumptions about how much it could be, and round it up.

I would not be in the least bit surprised if they found a figure of his net worth from 2003 (probably taken from another article that had equally sketchy details), when Steam had say (I have no idea) 10 million subscribers. Then they look at Steam now, with 40 million subscribers. Well, his net worth must be 4x that in 2003! But let's say 5x just to be safe. Go with it!

Guy.brush

Half-Life³ budget let's say 200 mio dollars.
5.500.000.000$ : 200.000.000$ =

He could singlehandedly finance 25 x Half-Life ³ and still have 500.000.000 $

The ending of Episode 2 will still haunt us for the rest of our lives though...

I guess that story "leak" did provide some closure, but it's simply not the same. :(

Mivey

Half-Life³ budget let's say 200 mio dollars.
5.500.000.000$ : 200.000.000$ =

He could singlehandedly finance 25 x Half-Life ³ and still have 500.000.000 $
He could just spend that money on 25 knifes out of pure diamond, instead of a game that he doesn't care about anymore, that wouldn't have as great ROI as their online stuff, and most people wouldn't like anyway because of their bizarre expectations.

Then you compare him to actual big companies... and then he is nothing. Valve is big on game standards, but is small compared to giants like MS,FACEBOOK,APPLE,GOOGLE...who have multiple people, and multiple people who have not been worth 4 billion since the 80's. So, i really dont get the excitement...he is a big fish in a small pond, but he gets in the ocean... he isnt even a seed. Congrats for MS, with Bill Gates being in the top 2 since like forever...where is the thread on that?

Gbraga

Then you compare him to actual big companies... and then he is nothing. Valve is big on game standards, but is small compared to giants like MS,FACEBOOK,APPLE,GOOGLE...who have multiple people, and multiple people who have not been worth 4 billion since the 80's. So, i really dont get the excitement...he is a big fish in a small pond, but he gets in the ocean... he isnt even a seed. Congrats for MS, with Bill Gates being in the top 2 since like forever...where is the thread on that?

cSyHoGN.gif

This is a video game forum and the article is about people not companies, what's the point?

I'm not sure you know what a monopoly is, but that's an argument for another thre- OH WAIT you've had this pointed out to you in other threads so I'm just wasting my time aren't I

Bry0

In the span of about 20 years the man put himself into the top 100 on forbes by selling video games.
In context it's an amazing feat.

Top Bottom