• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloodborne is one of the finest games I’ve ever played. I’ve always enjoyed the Souls series, though it could be argued that the series’ style may have been wearing a bit thin since the release of Dark Souls II. Simply put, Bloodborne is the shot in the arm that I wanted from the series. Shields are traded for an improved dash mechanic, and enemies are generally more aggressive. This creates a new dynamic facilitating Miyazaki’s intention of “truly perilous combat” – a phrase he noted at his PSX 2014 panel as a primary design goal. Every hit can feel like life or death, and the Souls series’ trademark damage increase when being struck during recovery for an action, such as dodging, forcing players to quickly but carefully plan and execute their moves in the face of often-unrelenting enemies. Dodging to weave in and out of a boss' attack range, while dealing damage that will inevitably bring them to their next, even more deadly phase (also a Souls first) feels both graceful and harrowing. “Thrilling” is an apt word to describe Bloodborne’s combat experience, and that isn’t a feeling I often receive from games.

Bloodborne also evolves the Souls games’ concept of weapons, with the implementation of two-in-one trick weapons. On a surface level, trick weapons already succeed at delighting the player with their snappy and satisfying transform animations that beg to be spammed during downtime – the modern Halo: CE pistol draw animation, if you will. In combat, however, effectively having two distinct weapons to choose from at any time that can also combo into each other at the press of a button increases tactical depth and the possibility for player expression. Additionally, basic melee combat is greatly upgraded over past games with tremendous feedback. Blood gratuitously sprays from stricken enemies, and hit sounds are sharper and meatier than ever before. My favorite addition to Bloodborne’s combat system is the visceral attack – performed after parrying an enemy by interrupting their attack with an offhand firearm. After parrying the enemy, the player can perform a massive visceral attack, effectively ripping the enemy’s chest out with appropriate sound and blood effects for massive damage. It’s digital crack, and as someone who never parried in previous Souls games, I can say with a high degree of certainty that this is my favorite new system in Bloodborne, and one of my favorite mechanics to use in any action game.

Level design has always been a strong aspect of the Souls series, and Bloodborne delivers what I consider to be some of the series’ best. The world, while mostly interconnected, doesn’t emphasize that aspect with frequent backtracking like in Dark Souls. However, I would suggest that the individual area design is improved over Dark Souls, and stands alongside, or slightly above Demon’s Souls. Souls logic dictates that there will be shortcuts, and finding them feels like finding out Net Wrecker finished a video game in 2015 – it just warms your heart. Central Yharnam might be my favorite 3D level since Metroid Prime 2’s Sanctuary Fortress, with seemingly-endless secrets, shortcuts, and vistas of both previous areas and areas to come. Forbidden Woods is a forest that actually feels like a damn forest for once in a video game, with a very wide layout and multiple intersecting “lanes” that force the player to traverse and either re-traverse, or traverse backwards to find everything. Of course, the critical path is signposted with glowing lanterns, should the player feel lost. For the first time in the series since Demon’s Souls, I feel like I could make an argument for nearly every level in the game being a winner.

Many levels also feel distinct. Central Yharnam focuses on mob-like encounter design, often pitting the player against groups of villagers and occasionally their attack dogs. Forbidden Woods contains a number of traps for the player to avoid, including pressure-activated spiked logs, covered pits, and oil-throwing enemies. Yahar’gul encourages the player to quickly dispatch, or outright avoid infinitely-spawning minions in favor of killing the bell-ringing women that resurrect them. Nightmare of Mensis requires the player to move from cover to cover to avoid the gaze of an eldritch horror, while Upper Cathedral Ward contains a relatively-small number of enemies, but places those enemies in such a way that nearly every encounter is an ambush. Bloodborne’s variation in both level and encounter design help keep the experience fresh over 20+ hours.

Aesthetically, Bloodborne is a stunning achievement. The unhinged laughter and screams of demented Yharnamites bring life, however twisted, to Central Yharnam. The roofs of Yharnam’s Gothic Victorian architecture point towards the sky, perhaps reflecting the world’s tendency to look to the cosmos above. Seemingly randomly-placed statues become more distorted and twisted in later game areas - mirroring the increasingly more bizarre horrors faced by the player...even if you don't consciously notice them, I'm sure your brain did.

An act as simple as pushing open an iron gate is made impactful through the use of heavy sound design. Simply picking up an item is met with a sharp, satisfying sound. Enemies verbally curse the player, suggesting that we may not be the hero in this world. Short, often ambiguous lines of dialogue from characters such as Micolash and Father Gascoigne are delivered in a memorable way. An enemy as laughable as a crow with its wings clipped turns into a startling foe once it begins barking like some kind of demonic hellhound. Additionally, The game’s aesthetics expertly convey the mood of each area, from the frozen wastes of Cainhurst Castle, to the gnarled trees, fog, and the Soothing Hymn of Upper Cathedral Ward, to the ominous moon watching over Byrgenwerth, and many areas in the game world past the halfway point are like nothing else I’ve seen. The soundtrack also stands out; boss themes range from intensity of Father Gascoigne’s second form, to the creepiness of the Witch of Hemwick, to the finality of Gehrman’s theme. I just can’t get enough of how Bloodborne looks and sounds – a murder of crows cawing and flying away past twisted trees after opening the gate to Hemwick, the chanting and droning as the player approaches The One Reborn…Bloodborne’s aesthetics are probably 90% of why I play it. A master class.

1LIrhqz.gif

The game’s presentation of its story and lore, along with the other games in the series, has been contentious. I like to think of the series as having a sort of detective metagame, where the player is tasked with piecing together information from various scraps of written evidence. On this level, Bloodborne’s lore, while more ambiguous than in past games, satisfied me on a similar level. However, I find the content of Bloodborne’s tale to be the most gripping yet. The game successfully weaves together Van Helsing-style Gothic Victorian beast hunting with horrific Lovecraftian elements that raise both questions and tension. Elements such as the Madman’s Knowledge item granting Insight, which in turn incites Frenzy is a wonderful blend of mechanics and storytelling. Bloodborne’s lore is not conclusive, especially as it concerns the “Great Ones”, but it captivated me while playing, and I continue to think about it as time passes.

I should mention that the game isn’t perfect. The chalice dungeons don’t quite come into their own, though the lower depth dungeons contain some of the game’s toughest challenges, and can be enjoyable as a result. Load times were abysmal at launch, but have since been fixed to what I could consider an acceptable length. The blood vial system will punish players that neglect stocking up on them from the in-game store, and may require grinding for them as a result if the player runs out. Many NPC storylines also don’t resolve in a satisfying way. Winter Lanterns can also lead to some cheap deaths if the player is packing a significant amount of Insight, though while the description for Insight on the character stat screen indicates that it induces Frenzy, most players probably won’t notice this (I certainly didn’t). Most of these flaws didn’t take away from my overall experience, though they should be mentioned.

Regardless if it’s allowed to factor into my evaluation of the base game, I want to mention The Old Hunters expansion as an excellent piece of DLC. Five bosses are fought in the expansion, and I would say three of them are excellent, while the other two are above average. The level design across the three areas lives up to the main game, and the final area in particular contains a heavy sense of atmosphere that competes with the series’ best. It took me about six hours to see everything. The expansion should absolutely be required playing for anyone who owns and enjoys the base game.

Overall, I believe the game rises above these issues to present a masterful, perilous combat experience wrapped in expert art, sound, and level design. It’s also one of my favorite games ever. I have about four and a half playthroughs completed, and I’d love to go back and try a new trick weapon or a new stat allocation. Finally, I want to throw a quick shout-out to the game’s pacing - it’s fluid as hell and there are no forced walk sequences or unskippable cutscenes or any of that kind of thing. The game is just a joy to play and replay. And I’m glad to have played it.

The sky and the cosmos are one

maV8Xvy.png

Whoah, Epic and wonderful post.

Just pointing out that Trails in the Sky came out on PC last summer and has been playable on Vita since around the same time, the only 2 Trails games that are 2015 releases are TiTS SC and Cold Steel.

Pafnucy

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Absolute game of the year for me. Maybe even game of forever. As a big Witcher fan, I got in this game everything I was hoping for plus more. Amazing story, top tier graphics, phenomenal music and best side quests in history of RPG games. Combat, while the weakest part of the game, still was satisfying even after 100 hours of playtime. And don't get me started on Gwent - BEST MINI GAME EVER. If there ever was a true 10 out of 10 game, this is it.

2. The Witcher III: Hearts of Stone ; Yes, I liked it so much that I'm nominating the expansion too. Deal with it. This is how DLC should be done. Large amount of new content, great self contained story and amazing characters. Olgierd was amazing, plus Shani...

3. Grand Theft Auto V ; PC version. Rockstar still has it. Nobody does open world cities like they do. Much better than GTA4, much more interesting characters. It's GTA at it's best.

4. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number ;

5. Pillars of Eternity ;

6. Mortal Kombat X ;

7. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ;

8. Pro Evolution Soccer 2016 ;

9. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin ;

10. Shadowrun: Hong Kong ;

Exalted

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; One of the best RPG i've ever played, really liked the world and the atmosphere
2. Rocket League ; Pure fun and very addicting
3. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Great visuals and sound with even greater semiretro gameplay

d3vnull

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; My undisputed champion of 2015. It's a perfect game for me (I'm a sucker for a good story, worlds and characters) and the reason my list isn't bigger. I've put nearly 400 hours in this baby.

2. Rocket League ; Who would have thought that combining football and racing would be this much fun. No other game in recent years has caused me so many nights with sweaty controller hands.

3. Ori and the Blind Forest ; This game took me by surprise. It's just a piece of art and so beautiful.

4. Pillars of Eternity ; Great game with a great nostalgic soundtrack is the perfect throwback to the glory days of RPGs.

5. Mortal Kombat X ; The best Mortal Kombat game. Period.

6. Life is Strange ; Beautiful game with a great story and characters. A bit lacking in the gameplay department but definitely a step above Telltale and their old ass engine.

7. Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void ; It was everything I hoped it would be. I was a bit disappointed with the ending though, but I probably expected too much in the story department.

8. Fallout 4 ; It's a fine game with some great moments but overall the weakest Bethesda RPG I've played so far.

Machina

Banned
1. Rocket League ; Any number of games that are on this list could have taken number 1, but I gave it to Rocket League. I am still obsessed with it months after release and the developers treat their audience like they actually give a shit. Perfectly designed, can be played by anyone and still be fun as hell.

2. Fallout 4 ; It doesn't reinvent the wheel by any stretch, but it is more Fallout. That was its only job at the end of the day and it nailed it.

3. Star Wars: Battlefront ; Despite the amount of vitriol this game has gotten, it is still a shitload of fun to play and despite some matchmaking bugs (no server browser....WHY) is very well polished and is just dropdead GORGEOUS

4. Bloodborne ; The story is still far too complicated and ambiguous to understand, but the gameplay was as solid as a diamond and the atmosphere was creepy yet addicting.

5. Pillars of Eternity
6. Splatoon

Razor554

1. Bloodborne ; Best game in amazing series by far for me. Gameplay, atmosphere, lore, level design, enemy design and soundtrack are all top notch.

2. Until Dawn ;

3. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection ;

4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ;

5. Soma ;

6. Dying Light ;

AshamanX

Neo Member
1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Open world RPG done right, the is the new yard stick for me with which to compare any RPG.
2. Tales of Zestiria ; Solid entry into the Tales franchise.
3. Halo 5: Guardians ; This game looks so pretty, more Master Chief is always good. We need more games where it't possible to play entire campaign in multiplayer.
4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Perfect action game controls, convoluted story brings the whole package down for me. WHOOO?
5. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Cool premise for a Xeno game, plays pretty well. Lackluster story, sadly.
6. Assassin's Creed Syndicate ; Dual protagonist AC is a nice change. No multiplayer allowed dev to polish the bugs out, overall less broken than AC Unity.
7. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition ; Very fun ride, I was happy to revist this classic with a friend.
8. Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward ; Nice sequel to the cliffhanger story of the original release.
9. Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void ; The only RTS that grabs my attention.
10. Batman: Arkham Knight ; Perfected Batman gameplay and a story with nice twists, brought to near ruin by that damn Batmobile mechanic.

CCS

Banned
Will edit with comments later, but want to get list down while I remember:

1. Bloodborne ; Best Souls game, GOTY for that alone.
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Best stealth game of the year.
3. Sunless Sea ; Best game nobody heard about.
4. Undertale ; Best game everybody couldn't stop hearing about
5. Rocket League ; Best game involving a ball
6. Life Is Strange ; Best game where you are a teenage girl
7. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection ; Best remaster

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt; Never played a CD Projeckt Red game before, big fan now. Amazing quests, some of the best i've seen in any game dealing in shades of grey. Fantastic scope and design.
2. Bloodborne; It's essentially more Souls but faster and with a Cthulu victorian design. So very good.
3. The Witcher III: Heart of Stone; It's more Witcher III essentially. Introduced some great new characters and a wealth of content for a bargain price.
4. Life is Strange; Great characters, lovely music and setting. Also playing a female character that's quirky and unsure of herself that was more than just eye candy was gret.
5. Divinity Original Sin EE; It had some issues but the combat was insanely deep for setting up combos and using the environment. Worked really well on a console to boot for an isometric RPG port.
6. Tales from the Borderlands; No real gameplay but it was hysterical in places, they got the Borderlands humour and setting bang on.
7. Dragon Quest Heroes; It has both the retro appeal of the art design and music wrapped up in modern graphics and some great action RPG and tower defense gameplay.
8. Helldivers; One of the best co-op games this year, make or break a level entirely depended on how you worked as a team and spreading out equipment choices.
9. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood; I loved New Order as a bit of an old fashioned FPS that was just fun, Old Blood does the same with tight controls and great levels.
10. Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China; This was more of a surprise for me, I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did but the challenge of stealthing through every level like a ghost was really good fun.

Sölf

1. Undertale; Definitly my GOTY, this game blew my mind in ways I didn't think possible. This is also the first game were I really thought the bad route was genuinly bad. No redeeming factors whatsoever.
2. Super Mario Maker; Even when I am not playing it currently, I basically played it two weeks after release non stop. And I am sure some point in the future I will return.
3. Xenoblade Chronicles X; Still not finished, but already over 50 hours in which can't be said for most other games. A really good game, so much to do, even though it can be overwhelming sometimes.
4. Heroes of the Storm; My new favorite Moba, but like all other Blizzard games, I am playing that on and off. Currently not playing it, but I will definitly return.

And I think that's it. I bought a few others games (Etrian Mystery Dungeon, Danganronpa Another Episode, Codename S.T.E.A.M.), but I haven't played them long enough to say anything about them.

roytheone

Haven't participated in one of these before, but the thread rules would indicate that typing Witcher 3 doesn't count, which is weird, because that's the game's name. I've got no idea where they're pulling these roman numerals from.

Bloodborne is going to beat The Witcher 3 only because it is easier to spell :(

1) SOMA ; SOMA sheds Amnesia's Lovecraftian trappings in favor of a research station on the ocean floor, but the horror and the oppressive atmosphere remains, anchored by a compelling and thought-provoking story influenced by the works of Harlan Ellison and Philip K. Dick. The horror in SOMA comes less from its terrifying creatures and more from the atmosphere, the themes, the sound design and setting. Every moment is fraught with tension, enhanced by the music and the groaning of metal being crushed by the immense ocean pressure. The game is a slow-burn experience, letting the unnerving uneasy implications of grotesque sights and of your actions stew in your mind.
cgZjnmq.jpg

2) Ori and the Blind Forest ; Ori doesn't reinvent the wheel, or innovate the platformer. But what it does do is deliver what is easily the most gorgeous, most fluidly-animated, vibrant platformer in years. From mist-choked forest to caverns strangled by thorny vines, from crystal clear lakes to flaming ruins, every location in Ori is flush with color and life. The exploration, acrobatic combat, challenging platforming, and excellent music are all satisfying icing on a beautiful cake.
02AGvHW.jpg

3) Besiege ; Besiege takes the vehicle construction you love from games like Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and injects it with a dose of physics, blood, and medieval destruction, as you build powerful siege engines to level castles and lay waste to armies. It's the little details that stand out: wood beams snap in half when broken, blood stains your blades and the ground, your structure collapses and falls apart realistically when aflame, buildings crumble under the might of your cannon fire or swinging maces
BGO3Pry.jpg

4) Invisible Inc ; Klei proved themselves to be masters of the stealth genre with Mark of the Ninja, but Invisible Inc is not only a fantastic stealth game, but an innovative one, combining the strategic, methodical nature of turn-based gameplay with cautious desperate sneaking. A wealth of agents and skills opens the door for a plethora of tactics, but at its core, Invisible Inc is all about careful sneaking around sight cones, avoiding patrols, stealing important data, and infiltrating secure facilities. A masterpiece of stealth gameplay
8kk0eUL.jpg

GAF will say you are a hipster!

cyba89

1. Bloodborne ; Terrrific athmosphere, great boss fights, an engaging setting and a greatly refined gameplay make this game the best Souls-like experience for me yet.

2. Super Mario Maker ; An editor that is super intuitive and actually fun to use. I never was so motivated to create my own stages in an editor-game before. The gameplay itself is perfect as you would expect from a Mario 2D-platformer. This game will probably keep me coming back for years to come.

3. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; The game is not without its faults but the good thing are so damn good that this game still deserves its third place on my GOTY list. I love the setting, I love the world, I love all the different stories the game has to tell and I certainly love flying around with a Skell through this beautiful world. I never experienced an alien planet that feels so on-point in a videogame before.

4. N++ ; My favorite pure platformer of the year. The gameplay is still perfect, the soundtrack is huge and great, the menus are snappy and instant and this game has almost an endless amount of good designed content. The overall package you get is very impressive (especially from such a small studio) and beating a hard level you failed for hours before just feels so damn good. A game I keep coming back to.

5. Tales from the Borderlands: Episodes 2-5 ; Definitely my surprise hit of the year. There is so much "Character of the year"-potential. The jokes and the music are great and it has probably the best final episode I ever experienced in an episodic game.

6. Yoshi's Woolly World ; Yoshi's Island finally has the worthy sequel we waited 20 years for. The style is super-cute and the platforming feels good. I love to explore for every secret in the game and the collectibles feel never unfairly hidden. Their placement is always hinted in some way through the level architecture and that's a feat only few "collect-a-ton"-platformers manage to reach.

7. Life Is Strange ; No other game this year reached me on an emotional level as Life Is Strange. Following the story of Chloe and Max was a journey I not want to miss. It's a story that feels very personal and such a thing only works with good-written and identifiable characters. Luckily LiS has all of this.

8. Splatoon ; Nintendo reinventes the multiplayer-shooter. I'm not a huge multiplayer-shooter fan but the fresh and innovative gameplay of Splatoon managed to grab my interest. The gameplay feels very good and rewarding and the character designs and overall style are just great. While this was a very bare-bones game at launch Nintendo did a good job of maintaining interest by delivery a big amount of content for free over the year.

9. Axiom Verge ; There has been many good metroidvanias in the past few years, but only few that capture the athmosphere of exploring an alien environment. That's what I want most out of the genre and Axiom Verge delivers that. With a great soundtrack and an interesting story. It's a really impressive feat for a one-man project.

10. Cities: Skylines ; After Sim City 2013 I thought the city-builder genre was dead but then Cities Skylines came and brought me that joy of building and taking care of my own city back. It also comes with a very commendable mod-support that keeps this game interesting. It's far from perfect but it's still the best take on the genre we got since Sim City 4 over ten years ago.

MrS

Banned
1. N++ ; The most fun I've had with a game in 2015. Always challenging and really annoying at times, but I fell in love with it.
2. Bloodborne ; Never played a Souls game but Bloodborne really pushed all of my buttons. The best boss fights I've played in any game. I had a blast learning the systems.
3. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number ; Improves on all of the things that made Hotline Miami great. I found some of the levels extremely challenging but, like with n++ and Bloodborne, that's what gave me the most satisfying gaming experiences in 2015.

Honourable Mentions:
x. OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood ; solid gameplay and good fun
x. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; god-tier gameplay. An awful story kept it out of my top 3
x. Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 ; campaign and zombies weren't great the best PVP experience I've had this year
x. Destiny: The Taken King ; new raid was awesome and provided the best co-op experiences of 2015 for me.
x. Super Stardust HD Ultra ; loved it on PS3 and I love it on PS4

1. Metal Gear Solid V -
2. Bloodborne -
3. Rocket League -
4. Life is Strange -

I really wish I would have had more interest in buying more new games once again, see you in 2016 TW3, Undertale and Fallout 4

1. The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt; One of the best games I have ever played. The world that CDPR created is gorgeous, with a level of detail and observation only matched by Rockstar. The fantastic storytelling brings it all to life in a wonderful way.

2. Bloodborne; Another Miyazaki masterpiece. The aggressive combat worked like a dream, and the regain mechanic is genius. And the city of Yharnam is amazingly dark and twisted.

3. Ori & the Blind Forest; Gorgeous and fun! Felt obliged to help the little guy out after the tear jerker intro, and thoroughly enjoyed doing so.

4. Destiny: The Taken King; I've been a big Destiny fan from the start, and TTK has made it so much better. It feels like this is more like the game that Bungie wanted it to be from the start.

5. Rocket League; The most fun Vs multiplayer game of the year. RL brings out all of my worst competitive traits but always manages to keep a smile on my face. Although I got it 'free' on PS+, I'd gladly have paid for it.

6. Sunless Sea; Up with TW3 for the best written game I've played in 2015. Exploring the Unterzee is terrifying, but the brilliant stories you come across keeps me pushing on. A really fun, and different, game.

7. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain; Could easily have been in the top 3, but for losing its way and becoming a bit of a drag. The first half of the game is awesome though. Plays better than any other MGS game, and its incredibly fun finding new more inventive ways to complete objectives.

8. Splatoon; A proper 'Nintendo' game. Colourful and fun for everyone, and a totally original take on the multiplayer shooter.

9. FIFA 16; Odd pick, but I really think FIFA is better than ever this year. Still my go-to local multiplayer game.

10. Rare Replay; Nostalgia! So many great games in one place. RR is the best compilation, at least since The Orange Box, but arguably ever.

JGLS

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; With over 270 hours played, this game consumed my life for the months of September and October. A tremendous achievement in gameplay, it allowed me to tackle a multitude of different situations in a creative and unrestrained way. Overly ambitious to it's detriment, disappointing story and FOB Konami hijinks aside, no other game has come close to fully realizing my dream of a freefrom open approach stealth game. A truly flawed masterpiece and one of the best games of recent years.

2. Life Is Strange ; Having remained oblivious to the almost year long buzz for this game and not being a fan of Telltale's interactive story model (either because of lack of interest in the IP's they develop or their poor handling of illusion of choice), I had dismissed playing DONTNOD's sophomore title. However, Giantbomb's playthrough of the first episode changed my mind. Donnie Darko and Twin Peaks vibes, teenager melodrama, genuinely endearing and charming characters and the rewind power sealed the deal. The story hits a few bumps, but the writing is mostly decent and it goes in some unexpected, interesting and deeply heartfelt directions. It also has the most hard-hitting moment a game has ever provided me: (Episode 2 Ending Spoilers)
When I couldn't save Kate Marsh
. I simply cannot wait for the, unconfirmed but totally in development, second season. Also, hella, shaka-brah, cereal, tasty plasma, ...

Honorable Mentions:
x. Grand Theft Auto V ; As a college student with limited funds the PC is the only platform available to me. After a 2 year wait, I was finally able to play it. Being a big enthusiast of Michael Mann and Rockstar's filmic approach to storytelling, the premise of heists and the colorful characters in faux LA had me hooked. After 60 hours and with the final mission surpassed, I cannot help but feel a sense of disappointment. The gameplay is serviceable but nothing outstanding (with the exception of the driving, which I really enjoyed) and the story was mostly derivative and with a terribly unexciting and flat ending. Still, I enjoyed my time in beautifully crafted and fully realized Los Santos and hope the Online will provide some crazy and tense moments with friends and foes alike.

FelipeMGM

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Not only the GOTY for 2015, but my Game of the Generation so far. Gameplay was greatly refined from previous games, huge and detailed world with great stories and characters. Just the finest work by CD Projekt Red. Also, kudos for them for Hearts of Stone, great DLC.

2. Rocket League ; Maybe bit for bit the best gameplay of the year, its just so fun and easy to get addicted, was a believer since the beta and its rightfully one of the best this year.

3. Fallout 4 ; Great world and RPG mechanics, but didnt really feel like a next gen Fallout experience, and I dont even have a problem with the visuals. Still a great 9/10 game.

4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; This was so frustrating for me because the gameplay is basically perfect, but its story and characters are so boring and blend. Sitll had some of the greatest moments of gaming this year, too bad it was only a few

5. Untill Dawn ; This and number #6 revived adventure games this year for me, great production values, characters and spooky/amusing story. Tree of choices is also a big win for the game. Supermassive won a day one fan.

6. Life Is Strange ; Its basically a tie with #5, but I had a huge problem with the lip-sync, it broke imersion a lot of times for me. But still, it was all about Max and Chloe story and powerful moments like end of chapter 2. Chapter 5 had a couple of the best moments this years as well. Really loved it

7. Bloodborne ; My first actual souls game after trying and not getting into Demon Souls. This prob isnt higher because Im still getting used to its MO and style, but still amazing gameplay and moments that put you on the edge all of the time. I finally get why people love these games so much

8. Tales From The Borderlands ; If it werent for the trash engine that Telltale still uses would be better, so funny and amazing with a lot of wow moments.

9. OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood ; Basically took OlliOlli and made it even better, Roll7 just mastered the gameplay this time.

10. Everybody's Gone To The Rapture ; Touching story adorned by great VO performances and amazing enviroments. Just the rhythm bothered me, It could have stored more stories within its general arc.

2015 was freaking awesome for games

Zakard

1. Undertale ; Probably the most charming RPG I have ever played. It feels like so much thought went into every little detail of the game. The music is great and is also among the best of the year. The characters are lovable and the battle mechanics are simple yet work so well. Definitly the biggest surprise of the year.

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Not the best MGS game by all means, but a technical masterpiece crafted by the team of Kojima Productions. 60 FPS gameplay, the next level of stealth gameplay combined with the typical Kojima attention to detail. The story though rough around the edges provide great insight in some characters and their motivations. A great way to end the series.

3. Batman: Arkham Knight ; The grand finale to the Arkham series of Rocksteady. Every gameplay aspect introduced in Arkham Asylum and Arkham City have been refined, which results in a great overall package. The stealth feels quick and brutal and the quick-flow combat is great as always. The story is by far the best on of the three and Rocksteady uses creative ways to follow up the endings of Arkham City. Among the best open world games out there, this is truly a worthy finale to the series.

4. Bloodborne ; The greatest feelings of acomplishment this year could only be obtained by playing this gem. The combat is fast and action paced. The atmosphere dark and cold. The bosses are a weird combination of beauty and pure nightmare. Every fan of the Souls series needs to play Bloodborne.

5. Hotline Miami 2 ; A worthy sucessor of the great first one. A tough yet addicting challenge with another perfect soundtrack fitting its arcade and brutal nature.

6. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; A great follow-up to the original Binding of Isaac. Just as addicting and comes with alot of new items, bosses and gameplay chanes.

Servbot24

Banned
1. Bloodborne ; I'm going to call this objectively the best game of the year. It's very near perfection. Obviously it won't be everyone's personal favorite, but Bloodborne's execution is undeniably a wild success, and the game is an instant classic. It's easy to predict that years down the road this will be #1 on some GOTG lists.
2. Metal Gear Solid V ; Possibly the most underrated game of the year. The gameplay is absolutely divine - some of the best I've experienced in my life. The storytelling is at times great, at times awkward, and at times misses some big potential, but nothing can take away from the core game.
3. Ori and the Bind Forest ;
4. OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliworld ;
5. Splatoon ;
6. Tearaway Unfolded
7. Xenoblade Chronicles X ;
8. Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance ;
9. Yoshi's Wooly World ;
10. Axiom Verge ;

boswell22

I'll start this off by saying I have not played that many new releases this year and instead focused on mainly working on my backlog.

1. The Witcher 3 ;
2. Rocket League ;
3. Majora's Mask 3D ; Never played the original but loved every second of this. One of the very few pieces of entertainment where time travel is done right.
4. Halo V ;
5. Fallout 4 ;
6. Destiny - The Taken King ;
7. Metal Gear Solid V ;

HM; DOTA 2 - I hate this game but it still keeps addicted after years of playing. The previous patch was one of the best there has been.

Vuze

1. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; Certainly one of the best games of the franchise. Tons of content, perfectly implemented additions to the gameplay formula, online multiplayer (sweet lord, they certainly took their time with that one)... really enjoyed the time I put into it.
2. Grand Theft Auto V ; I haven't played the console versions but the wait was oh-so worth it. Probably my favorite open world ever. It just looks fantastic and I lost myself regularly just driving around, exploring the world while listening to the fantastic stock radios or SelfRadio. Lots of great mods available that I spent a few hours with, too! I should go back to the game sometime... sorta miss it heh.
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; While the story lost me mid-way through, the gameplay was excellent and as a MGS first-timer, I didn't feel all that disappointed by the supposedly abysmal second half of the game. I also really liked the art style / composition.
4. Monster Hunter X ; While I'm still dabbling in the lower rank of the game, it certainly has something going for it. In some regards (monster intros... such a joke, so bad!) it's a step back from MH4U but the new hunting styles offer a lot of variety and surprisingly enough can change weapon classes so much that you actually enjoy what you disliked before (bow and hammer in my case). Also for the first time since MH3G, I've actually been pumped in fights against new boss monsters, so kudos to the designers for that.
5. Life Is Strange ; While the final episode was merely alright in my opinion, the ending was perfectly paced in terms of music, cuts and scenery. Overall it was a pleasing experience, I especially enjoyed the art style and hope dontnod will work on more games (Remember Me 2 when, Capcom?!), so happy they got the attention they deserve with LiS.

Honorable Mentions
x. Batman: Arkham Knight ; While quite the looker if you turn off the nasty post-processing effects, it was just more of the same. Not bad, but not outstanding either. Terrible PC version leaves a bad taste as well.
x. Her Story ; A refreshing and interesting experience. I never thought this sort of game would resonate well with me but puzzling together the story and revealing all plot twists by yourself was certainly cool.
x. Yoshi's Woolly World ; Absolutely gorgeous game in terms of visuals and super cute as well, but in the end it was just yet another Nintendo platformer. Have yet to finish it.

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; You know that game which comes along once in a while that reminds you of why you play games? This is that game for me. This is the dream game for me. Everything I ever want in gaming, condensed in one, in such a coherent, beautiful way. Massive game with massive amount of top notch quality contents. Fucking GOAT.

2. The Witcher III: Hearts of Stone ; An expansion sure but it surpasses most full-fledged AAA games in both quality and quantity. It took what I love from TW3 and made them somehow better.

3. Pillars of Eternity ; Fucking awesome game, beautifully written and chock-full of gorgeous arts.

4. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ; this game will most likely remain in my top 10 games for years to come. So here it goes again.

5. Life Is Strange ; I am ever so glad I was wrong about my initial impression of this game and that I actually made myself start it. Lovely game packed full with emotional experiences.

6. Grand Theft Auto V ; Beautiful, fun game. Probably one of my most favorite open-world games in a while.

7. Dying Light ; One of my biggest surprise. Not a huge fan of zombies game in general but this game genuinely surprised me at how much fun it brought me.

8. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; Fantastic shooter game with emotional moments and interesting story-line. But mostly the guns.

9. Ori and the Blind Forest ; beautiful art style and fun platforming which I generally do not like, at all. Yet I completed this game in 2 sittings.

10. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate ; One year ago after the Unity mediocrity if you tell me I would even consider putting this game on the list I would call Batman to put you to Arkham Asylum. But, I was genuinely surprised and thought it would deserve a place on my list.

Anarkin

Bloodborne is going to beat The Witcher 3 only because it is easier to spell :(

So you have to write it exactly like in the spreadsheet?

The Witcher 3 or The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt won't count? That can't be right. I think only if the title is abbreviated e.g. TW3 or MGS5 it won't.

TW3 and MGS5 would probably lose more than half of their votes if that's the case.

Occam

1. Axiom Verge ; best Metroid in years, created by a single programmer.
2. Nuclear Throne ; challenging and addictive. 2D gaming at its finest. Must-have PS Vita title.
3. Bloodborne
4. Until Dawn
5. Tearaway Unfolded
7. The Witcher III
8. Transfrmers Devastation

1. Fallout 4 ; best open world for ages
2. Tales from the Borderlands ; best Telltale game ever, bring the goddamn Sam & Max s04 right now!
3. Ori and the Blind Forest
4. Out There: Ω Edition ; highly underrated game, better than FTL
5. SOMA
6. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide
7. Mad Max
8. Dying Light
9. Rise of the Tomb Raider
10. Wasteland 2: Director's Cut

Honorable Mentions
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt ; i liked this game, it was great experience, but this hype flowing around it is not deserved. This is great game, but it's not perfect and have a lot flaws that most people now ignoring.

thuGG_pl

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt; Probably the best RPG I've ever played (or tied with Morrowind). Fantastic achievement in story telling and dialogue presentation. Beautifully crafted world that looks real and believable with great character all round. Great quests and good, varied combat system. For me it's a masterpiece.
2. Soma; Great story, very good setting, many tense moments, great atmosphere.
3. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number; Truly enjoyable game with some great music.
4. Ori and the Blind Forest; Beautiful and fun platformer.
5. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood; Good old FPS ;)
6. Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void; Good old RTS ;)

spekkeh

Banned
Eats you havin a giggle there mate ya right cheeky bastard.

I wish I was as cool as Earthpainting that I could punish the Witcher for stringing the player along endlessly, but I haven't played an additional four games that were genuinely better in order to be able to push it out of the list.

All those giving love to SOMA and / or Axiom Verge, you are okay.

Edit. So many people on this page alone not formatting correctly. Your votes don't count if you don't fix them!

Haven't played that many games this year, but I think 2015 will be remembered as one of the best in recent memory.

1. Bloodborne ; Kos wins! Flawless Victory! Platinumed both the main game and DLC and loved every second of it. ~130hrs poured in and it's my favorite From Software game by far. Lore, fast combat, amazing visuals, I loved everything this game threw at me. Outstanding achievement.
Dat frame pacing tho... :(

2. Destiny: The Taken King ; Nothing beats playing this game with DGAF on a chill weekend evening. TTK fixed most of the issues that vanilla had and it continues to be my most played game bar none. Love it.

3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Kojima's swan song for MGS done... brilliantly! Even though this game polarized the already crazy MGS community, I enjoyed it very much. Clocked in at around 130hrs. Gameplay was sublime. Technical marvel on PS4/XB1/PC. Open world could have been more diverse and "fuller", but overall I loved the game. SnakeSalute.gif

4. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Currently at 72 hrs. Been a Witcher fan since the first game and I absolutely love it. It does everything right and it's such a vast world where you can see the love and attention that CDPR put it. Unfortunately it didn't grab me as I hope it would. :/ I can't put my finger on the cause. My best guess is the open world fatigue, but I still haven't finished this game (not even close) even though I see what an amazing game it is. Strange.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. Life Is Strange ; Wowzer! Bought this on a whim the day it launched and I was hooked. Great game, amazing story. Powa' to the Max!

6. Batman: Arkham Knight ; I'm one of the lucky few who was able to play this on PC without much issues day one. Completed everything save for Riddler trophies and I loved it. Best Arkham game by far. Loved the characters, the story and the conclusion. Batmobile was kinda dope, even though I wish they didn't force it that much.

Hammer24

Banned
1. The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt ; This is what defines gaming for me. My favorite game ever.
2. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Great return to the formula that made TR games fun, and with extraordinary polish.
3. Fallout 4 ; Despite its technical shartcomings, it´s still a fun game.
4. Halo 5 ; Best Halo game ever.
5. The Walking Dead ; I love this way of story telling. This game also represents Game of Thrones and Tales from the Borderlands for me.
6. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Best game this year from an artistical pov.
7. Wolfenstein The Old Blood ; Old school game for an old school gamer.
8. Gears of War UE ; While I detest the practice of remasters, my Gears craving was just to big, and the game delivered.
9. Assassin´s Creed Syndicate ; What can I say, the AC formula still works for me.
10. Posting Simulator 2016 ; Little PC exclusive gem made by GAFers for GAFers. In the end its probably the game I spend the most time with this year.

x. MGS V The Phantom Pain ; This is a dishonorable mention. In the end it felt to me like a competent to great stealth game, which was handed to two focus groups pre release. First focus group were investors, who inserted all the nickle and diming ever imaginable. The second group were basement dweller virgins who shouted "We need tits! And zombies! Make them Nazi zombies". A game that started to play great, only to fall off a cliff pretty fast. In the end I only felt insulted as an adult gamer.

1. Witcher 3 ; the king. Beautiful, big, detailed, dense. It's just perfect and engaging and never for one moment shy away from industry shaming standarts
2. Bloodborne ; new, bold, challenging, rewarding. Fucking amazing and brillant at every step of the adventure.
3. Life is Strange ; emotional roller coaster. Amazing job Dontnod, trully the underdog this year and yet a masterpiece.
4. Yakuza 5 ; well worth the wait. amazing game. 95 hours on the first week spent on the game. I need a job. Send help please.
5. Destiny The Taken King ; destiny reborn. Amazing turn around bungie
6. World of Warships, amazing free 2 play, very tactical, great gameplay curve, new sensations
7. Wolfenstein the old blood ; great addon, super satisfying and great addition to New Order
8. Fallout 4 ; love the writting and universe but Fallout needs to change a lot from there
9. MGSV ; flawed, unfinished, terribly paced but a masterclass of game design and gameplay.
10. SC2 Legacy of the Void ; great campaign despite lol ending

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
1. Life is Strange ; Life is Strange is the only game I have ever played that left me emotionally ruined after completing it. The game has a wonderful atmosphere that is a clear homage to Twin Peaks and feels nostalgic, even though it takes place in the current day. At first things appear mundane, however events quickly escalate as you learn to use your time control powers and have to solve a number of mysteries with increasingly higher stakes. Main characters are extremely well written and are reinforced by a strong supporting cast. You will be rooting for characters you felt indifferent about, or even disliked, just a few hours ago. Seeing your favorite characters go through struggles has you holding back tears and hoping everything turns out OK. The finale might leave a bad taste in some, however it is more about the journey and not the destination.
2. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is my first Monster Hunter game and I enjoyed it immensely. It felt refreshing to play a game that doesn't hold your hand and has challenging gameplay. The combat system is superb and the feeling of beating a monster by the skin of your teeth is exhilarating.
3. The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth ; The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth was the king of roguelites and Afterbirth only reinforces this. The new items are fun and creative, greed mode is a nice mini game. The star of the show is daily runs. In daily runs, everybody gets a fixed seed and compete for leaderboard placement. It fosters a level of competition not seen before in Isaac.
4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; MGSV has excellent moment to moment gameplay. There are tons of options on your sneaking missions. The game has several glaring flaws. The open world design feels like a detriment and the story is disappointingly sparse, especially for Kojima's finale.
5. Undertale ; Undertale is one of the best written games of the year. There is a very likable cast and the gameplay is a unique RPG and bullet hell combo. It also has a phenomenal soundtrack.
6. Tales from the Borderlands ; I was extremely dubious of Tales from the Borderlands. Borderlands 1 and 2 had mediocre to downright bad writing. Tales from the Borderlands, however, is among Telltale's best games and is as good as classics like The Walking Dead season 1. The cast is extremely likable and funny. The game drags a bit during the middle, however the final episode is downright incredible.
7. Rocket League ; Yep. Soccer with cars.
:^)

Ragona

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt; Easily the most enjoyable RPG I've played in recent years. the jump from 2 to 3 is outstanding, and the first Expansion pack made it even better. Wish I could delete it from my memory and play it again with the sure to come Enhanced version.

2. Bloodborne; After Dark Souls 2 mildly disappointed me, From Software returned to full strenght with their newest entry. The more agressive and faster paced combat felt really refreshing and the artstyle is absolutely amazing. Just like The Witcher, the game benefits alot from the DLC.

3. Destiny: The Taken King; The more time passes, the more I dislike Destiny, but man it still has its hooks in me. Great step forward from vanilla Destiny and easily my most played game of the year. Recent Microtransactions leave a bad taste in my mouth though...

4. Ori and the Blind Forest; Jumped in expected nothing and went out blown away. Fantastic artstyle, touching soundtrack and spot on controls make this the best platforming game Ive played in ages.

5. Life is Strange; Some very interesting and difficult topics, great writing and some of the most touching scenes this year. Probably my personal suprise of the year.

6. Fallout 4; Sad to say, that Fallout 4 disappointed me, yet on a high level as this nomination proves (still expected it to easily be my GotY). Theres so much that can be said about this game. But comparing the development from Witcher 2 -> 3 to Bethesdas jump from Skyrim -> Fallout 4 shows, that a big chance was left unused.

7. Tales from the Borderlands; Easily outclasses Telltales other releases this year. Although technically still rough, it performs and plays better than Game of Thrones and has some of the better writing in Telltale games. Interesting characters and an enjoyable storyline.

8. Cities: Skylines; Or should I say traffic manager 2015? Again, didnt expect much, countless hours later iam still damn impressed. Though iam not really creative, I still enjoy sinking some relaxing hours into the game and watching other peoples creations online.

Theodoricos

1. Undertale ; The most creative game that I can recall playing. Amazing writing, fantastic soundtrack, innovative RPG gameplay and a very likable cast of characters.

2. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void ; The varied mission structure in its story campaign was just as fun as it was in the other installments of the franchise. Best soundtrack from the StarCraft II trilogy. Introduction of cooperative mode was also a huge plus for me.

3. Ori and the Blind Forest ; A stunning, beautiful game with an amazing OST that could nonetheless have been a bit easier to play.

4. Life Is Strange ; While flawed in numerous aspects, Life is Strange succeeded at making me attached to its great cast of believable, down-to-earth characters.

5. The Beginner's Guide ; This game turned out a little more railroaded than I would've liked, but it's still a very unique experience that I enjoyed going through.

Go_Ly_Dow

1. Bloodborne; every location is artistically brilliant. One of the finest atmospheres captured in a game.
2. Yakuza 5; 5 cities, great characters, engrossing story and so much gameplay!
3. The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter; As old school as JRPGs get to the SNES days.

Chariot

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Amazing RPG with on of the best open worlds I played in. Really loved the variety of options in gameplay. From the removing of markers on the map or the whole UI to the quests and choices that were most of the time pretty difficult. Definitely GOTY.
2. Life is Strange ; I was sceptical and in the end it didn’t go as far as I wished it would go, but it was a special experience nonetheless, and impressive story and my hope for western narrative driven games.
3. Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth3 V Generation ; I love the Neptunia games and this one had Plutia properly in it. They’re not very deep or revolutionary, but they’re simple fun.
4. Cities: Skylines ; Very good city builder that is shaping up with it’s add-ons to become the definitive one. It is the core of the modern Sim City that everybody wished for and it’s lots of fun. A few more expansions and this is a beast.
5. One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 ; A Warriors game with One Piece characters trashing shit? Hell yeah. Some people were angry with the PC version, but it worked fantastically for me and my experience was just a lot of fun.
6. Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth2: Sisters Generation ; Not as good as 3, but a step-up from 1.
7. Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires ; T’was a bit clunky, but I still love it. It’s great fun to create characters with ridiculous weapons and conquer China, backstab people and killing thousands of people with family at home.
8. Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth1 ; It was fun!

Maybe I play Undertale until the deadline, I am planning to but it during the sale, reduction or not.

Also: Fuck Arkham Knight for not fixing shit, fuck MGSV for “fixing” the wrong shit and fuck Wolfenstein because we can’t get a ungimped version in Germany. Fuck you, you personally hurt my feelings.

Paganmoon

1. Batman: Arkham Knight ; Being the first Batman title I've completed, I did everything there was to do, all side missions, all Riddler trophies, and loved every moment of it. Traveling around Gotham, be it with the awesome batmobile or flying (my prefered alternative) was just so very satisfying.
2. Helldivers ; Couch co-op games nowdays seem to be few and far in-between, so finding one this good feels like Christmas. Kicking so much ass on a map, only to have your extraction transport (or a last minute ammo supply) drop on your head in the final moments, can lead to many laughs.
3. The Order: 1886 ; Unfairly shat on even before it's release, this game to me was outstanding, and a perfect length, though it could in parts have to do with just coming off of 100+ hours of Dragon Age, that made me appreciate the length.
4. Mad Max
5. Life is Strange
6. Fallout 4
7. Lara Croft Go
8. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
9. Rocket League

NeoRaider

1. Life is Strange - haven't really played many games this year, and what i played was pretty meh. So LiS is my choice for GOTY, it's one of the best games i ever played.

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Perhaps the best RPG ever, and one of the best games in history. The list of superlatives I could do is so long that I will leave it there.
2. Undertale ; What an original, heartfelt game. It really knows who to play with your heart, and surprise you.
3. Broforce ; Great little game, with a variety of heroes to choose from, nice pixel art, and a spectacular destruction that ties perfectly into the gameplay.
4. Dying Light ; A great combination of open world with a great zombie atmosphere, fun action RPG and freeform parkour.
5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Maybe the best stealth mechanics in a open game, super polished, shamefully the plot and a pair of flaws lowers the game to a "shameful" fifth position.
6. Fallout 4 ; I can write a pair of pages of how the game is a step backwards in almost every part of a RPG. But in the end, it's a very addictive action RPG with focus on the action, thanks to a very decent fps combat, and a great and very detailed world to explore.
7. Tales of the Borderlands ; Charismatic, fun adventure with nice twists, the only problem is that you are left wandering why this is a video game, as it's barely interactive at all.
8. Dirt Rally ; Engrossing rally simulator. I'm a pretty casual racing player so eventually I will grow tired of it but even I can recognize the quality here.
9. Invisible Inc. ; Tight design showing how stealth doesn't have to be a stale genre.
10. The Beginner's Guide ; interesting journey to the mind of a game developer, with more surprises you can think at first.

Some extra notes:

Grow Home was pretty cool.
The Talos Principle was released in the middle of Dec' 14, so a lot of people didn't vote for it in 2014, and now it can't be voted for 2015. But it's the best puzzle game in the past three years.

Wasteland 2 EE and Divinity Original Sin: EE are games that will possibly like, maybe even a lot, but I still have to play them.

BokehKing

Banned
Life is Strange save my favorite game of the year for the end of the year, this game took me by surprise and the writing and feels are unmatched
Bloodborne I loved demon souls and hated the dark souls games, but Bloodborne is so special I wish it was multi platform so everyone can praise the blood
Rocket League soccer with cars, for free, fell in love with the beta and it didn't stop there
Elder Scrolls Online everything I wanted in an MMOversion of ES. IMO a lot more enjoyable than FF14. Favorite console MMO, the game that got me to stop playing Destiny after 8 months of addiction
Destiny The Taken King so many improvements, Destiny 2 will be crack
Battlefield Hardline the battlefield series never had a single player with this much depth before
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood this studio could do no wrong in my eyes
Witcher 3 for an over rated game with a shallow combat system, I sunk a good 30 hours in, the quest line with the drunk baron was great, but I stepped away from the game for a month or two and every time I go back to play again I just feel lost and have no interest in continuing, roach is a horrible horse, I spent 3 of those 30 hours just selling shells. I want to go back to bang Trish though, cause Trish > Yennifer

1. Life Is Strange ; It's tough to pick between this and Bloodborne for me, but this game is more fresh and I love the soundtrack.
2. Bloodborne ; I never got into Demon's/Dark Souls but I tried this and was absolutely hooked. Awesome game with fantastic level design.
3. Destiny: The Taken King ; My most played game by far. Still has some issues but overall it's just great fun.
4. Until Dawn ; This is my type of game to begin with and the story could have been a little better but overall I loved it. I hope for a sequel.
5. Rocket League ; This would have been higher but I'm pure trash at the game. It's undeniably fun though. Congrats to Psyonix for taking such a simple idea and making it something huge. Also for their continued support of the game. Great stuff.

I still have yet to play many games including Witcher 3, Just Cause 3, and Splatoon.

Auctopus

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Essentially, one of the best games I've ever played and the greatest open-world WRPG ever made, in my opinion. So lovingly crafted, full of wonderful narrative and characters. Skellige has become one my favourite locations in a video game, purely because of how lovingly hand-crafted each island is. It's incredible.

2. Bloodborne ; Video game, incarnate. A wonderful, streamlined Souls experience. Tighter and slightly narrower than the usual Souls experience played to both its benefit and its hindrance. Less build variety and a little less replay value but a much more enjoyable completion experience. FROM Software are about to cement themselves as one of the best.

3. Olli Olli 2: Welcome to Olliwood ; Amazingly fun arcade game. Addictive gameplay with a variety of levels and a huge amount of challenge. Completely destroyed my left analog stick.

4. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
5. MGSV
6. Tearaway Unfolded
7. SOMA

An incredible year, overall. If not just for my top 2.

Judging by the way the votes are going, The Witcher III: Wild Hunt is gonna lose because of how a lot of people are writing its name wrong.

Roufianos

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; One of my favourite games of all time. The quest design was superb and levels genuinely felt hand crafted as opposed to the generic missions of F4 and MGSV. The soundtrack was masterful, the graphics, art design and setting were all absolutely beautiful. Gwent was genuinely fun! The plot and writing were exceptional and had moments of real emotion, drama and even humour. Geralt is a fantastic protagsnist as was Ciri. Dandelion, The Baron, Zoltan, Vesemir etc were also all a great supporting cast also. The combat, while not even close to Bloodborne's, was the best I've played in a WRPG.

Judging by the way the votes are going, The Witcher III: Wild Hunt is gonna lose because of how a lot of people are writing its name wrong.

The parser should take all the votes, I think at the end of it, he will manually add up the votes of "The Witcher 3" and "The Witcher III" into a single category, and the same with the most obvious cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom