• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I waited long enough:

1. Metal Gear Solid V ; finally a true step forward in play mechanics. I have never felt a more fluid TP game in my life. It reminds me of the first time I played RE4. If only the story and mission structure would have been up to par for this series it could have been my favorite game ever. Even with that and even though it is not a finished game it's still by far the best game I played this year. Gameplay is king and no game has better gameplay.

2. Batman Arkham Knight ; I loved this game, I enjoyed the bat mobile unlike so many people. VAriety is good, and this game has loads of it.

3. Fallout 4 ; The combat finally became good, it was a joy to simply get into battles. The world is still amazing to explore but the story really felt like a step back to NV.

4. Bloodborne ; Combat wise this game is the best souls game but the setting and lack of crazy monsters really held it back for me. I still prefer souls games more.

5. Splatoon ; best multiplayer shooter I have ever played.

6. Undertale ; A beautiful RPG that isn't really an RPG at all. It's totally unique and fresh with an amazingly emotional story.

7. Mortal Kombat X ; incredible fighting mechanics make this the best playing MK but I didn't like the story mode as much as the last game.

8. Resident Evil Revelations 2 ; this felt like a good mix of RE4 and old RE, still not perfect but a nice step forward.

9. Destiny Taken King ; great job done with the weapon systems and I love the focus on secrets with the dreadnaught. Great raid as well.

10. Elliot Quest ; very cool Zelda 2 like game with no handholding at all. Liked this one a bit more than axiom verge.

Here are some that just missed my cut:
X. Witcher 3 ; great story doesn't make up for shallow gameplay.
X. Super Mario Maker ; wasn't ready at launch, super hard to find good levels. Just not as well done as LBP.
X. Axiom Verge ; great game not great enough.
X. until dawn ; super awesome choose your own adventure movie. Preset camera angles made me want a new RE game so bad.

NekoFever

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; One of my favourite games ever. I put over 200 hours into this at a point in my gaming life where hitting 20 hours is miraculous, and the disc is still in my PS4 as I work my way through the DLC. It's just absolutely phenomenal and a massive achievement.
2. Bloodborne ; My record of never having come close to finishing a Souls game continues, but this was perhaps my favourite yet, even if it's only one in spirit. Everything from the combat to the setting was made more appealing to me, and my brief romance with it was intense.
3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; I barely played this when it came out, being firmly on the Dreamcast train by this point, so getting this on the 3DS was almost like having an entirely new 3D Zelda. I feel like Nintendo did a lot to improve it, ironing out some of the annoyances from the N64 version and, thanks mainly to the short, repeating cycle, making it one of the better Zeldas to play on a handheld.
4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Despite my huge issues with the structure and pacing of this game, the core gameplay is strong enough that I feel it deserves to be up here. It's one of the best 20-hour games ever, unfortunately stretched out to 60 hours.
5. Rocket League ; Solidly among my top ten favourite multiplayer games ever and likely to remain a mainstay on my dashboard this generation.
6. Resident Evil HD Remaster ; Another old favourite that I never got far with first time around, though this time out of fear. Now that I've grown some balls, I found it holds up in this strong remaster that was good enough to make me look forward to playing RE Zero again.

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Yes, can't argue here. CDPR definitely made this game with love and passion. The only thing preventing this to rise to the tier of Godlike games is the mediocore combat. But I can forgive that because everything else works like a charm. It is the Game of the Year 2015, period.

2. Tales From The Borderlands ; TWAU and GoT were shitty, but this one right here was genuinely funny and crazy in a good way. Awesome characters and the witty writing were the cherry on the top.

3. Grow Home ; Probably the best 7 hours I have ever spent with a game I knew nothing about before starting it for the first time. I just had to get to the top on one sitting and boy was it thrilling! Great game mechanics and simple graphics that really worked together.

4. Fallout 4 ;

5. Bloodborne ;

6. Dying Light ;

7. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter ;

8. Rock Band 4 ;

9. Star Wars Battlefront ;

10. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture ;

Honorable Mentions
x. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; It breaks my heart to leave a Metal Gear game outside of my top ten. But they really fucked up this one. A non-existant story with repetitive missions just broke the whole Metal Gear formula. No matter how good the sneaking or how polished the whole package was...I just can't get over the letdown.
x. Batman: Arkham Knight ;
x. The Order: 1886 ;
x. Axiom Verge ;
x. Super Time Force Ultra ;
x. The Swapper ;
x. Destiny: The Taken King ;
x. Grim Fandango Remastered ;

Verendus

Banned
1. Mortal Kombat X ; FATALITY!
2. Bloodborne ;
3. The Order: 1886 ; Short, and straight to the point. Although it left me wanting more, I still considerably enjoyed what was there.
4. Batman: Arkham Knight ; Would be my GOTY if I didn't have to watch the ending on youtube because no one is going to waste so much time going through a bunch of side missions. Yet I can't just leave it out of the list completely, or make it last. I have to put it here. Motherbitch.
5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; It's okay. I mean, it's not definitely not bad, but it's not that good either. But it's okay. For my one of top two franchises, it's kind of horrifying, but that's okay. I can cope with it. I lived through MGS4 already. At least Kojima is my bitch now. So I won in the end.

I can't say I particularly disliked this year since I've hardly played any games due to a lack of time. Still haven't gotten to The Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, or Halo 5.

2016 could be a pretty amazing year for me thanks to that. Always a silver lining.

Always.

ryseing

Doing something a bit different this year. Out of everything I played I feel only five games deserve to make my list proper. I don't feel right putting games on my list that I didn't completely love. The ones I was iffy about are honorable mentions.

1. Rocket League ; I’ve never believed gameplay is king. While I still don’t really believe that statement, Rocket League made the most convincing argument thus far. Rocket League is a fantastic example of that old adage “easy to learn, hard to master”. You’ll start by barely being able to hit the ball but eventually you’ll be doing flips and wall jumps with the best of them. Psyonix’s post-launch support has been second to none, with new game modes, new cars, and new cosmetics, some of which were free and the others reasonably priced. Psyonix is a shining example of a developer that does DLC right, and well deserving of my personal GOTY choice.

2. Dying Light ; Take the best parkour game ever made. Add in a world perfectly suited to that parkour, some cool late game gadgets, and oh yeah, zombies, and you have the near perfection that is Dying Light. However, like my #2 last year Watch_Dogs the superb open world gameplay is undone by awful storytelling and mediocre quest structures. Fortunately the gameplay is good enough that those issues are easily overlooked. Can’t wait for The Following.

3. Bloodborne ; While I’ve never been a Metroidvania fan, I do appreciate the moments those games give when everything just clicks. Bloodborne provided more of those moments than any other game in 2015. Combine this excellent level design with the best gameplay From’s ever done and you start to understand why one out of every three comments in any given GOTY thread is “Bloodborne got robbed”. While it’s not my number one thanks to me not being able to finish the damn thing (seriously From, I appreciate your devotion to the hardcore, but would it kill you to add an easy mode for those of us who aren’t masochists?), it’s a shining achievement nonetheless.

4. You Must Build A Boat ; My 2015 mobile addiction. EightyEight’s mix of puzzle matching and light RPG elements should not work this well but it does.

5. Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate ; I thought I was done with this franchise post Unity. I really was. Than Syndicate came along, delivering two great protagonists (I like Jacob, OK!) and a much more realized setting than Unity’s Paris with much better use of its historical figures. The combat revamp is great and the ripped straight from Arkham traversal mechanics fit AC like a glove. That being said, this series needs a year off and hopefully the rumors about it getting one are true.

Honorable Mention

x. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Another game that gets docked for me not being able to finish it. For TW3 it’s not a problem of difficulty but the fact that the game becomes a complete slog around Novigrad. That being said, my time in White Orchard and Velen was incredibly enjoyable and I hope to return to CDPR’s wonderful world one day. Unlike Bloodborne, I don't feel like I finished enough of TW3 to put it on my list.

x. Life is Strange ; Only finished episodes 1+2. Noticing a pattern? Blame Destiny, which is never going on my list due to it being a soul sucking demon. I quite liked what I've played of LiS and finishing it is my top gaming priority.

x. Rock Band 4 ; The game I had the most fun playing this year, but the lack of polish means that it doesn't deserve to make my list. Harmonix, I know you had a low budget for this thing but no online MP is inexcusable in 2015. On disc tracklist is meh but thankfully I was made aware of how to get a bunch of DLC songs cheaply before launch which drastically helped. Black Market Avocados for life.

x. Tearaway Unfolded ; What did you do to my beautiful baby? Tearaway Unfolded is the perfect example of when making a longer game goes wrong. The Vita version had pitch perfect pacing and was an enjoyable romp. The new areas in the PS4 version are not good and ruin said perfect pacing. It's still the most charming thing released in 2015.

Kinosen

Neo Member
1. Splatoon ; The Nintendo shooter that's even better than I imagined.
2. Undertale ; The greatest surprise of the past year, and the first game to emotionally justify game crowd-funding for me.
3. Her Story ; Moreso than the actual story, this was for me most unique story-telling experience of the year.
4. Life is Strange ; I had low expectations when it was announced, but in the end, I had to appreciate the overall atmosphere of LiS, it's earnest (and flawed) treatments of its subject matter, and way it ramped up with each episode.
5. The Beginner's Guide ; TBG came basically out of nowhere, anounced only two days before its release. It definitely feels like a quieter, more personal companion to The Stanley Parable to the point where I'd say it doesn't stand as well on its own, but I'm so glad it exists for the places it goes.

1. Mortal Kombat X ; FATALITY!
2. Bloodborne ;
3. The Order: 1886 ; Short, and straight to the point. Although it left me wanting more, I still considerably enjoyed what was there.
4. Batman: Arkham Knight ; Would be my GOTY if I didn't have to watch the ending on youtube because no one is going to waste so much time going through a bunch of side missions. Yet I can't just leave it out of the list completely, or make it last. I have to put it here. Motherbitch.
5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; It's okay. I mean, it's not definitely not bad, but it's not that good either. But it's okay. For my one of top two franchises, it's kind of horrifying, but that's okay. I can cope with it. I lived through MGS4 already. At least Kojima is my bitch now. So I won in the end.

I can't say I particularly disliked this year since I've hardly played any games due to a lack of time. Still haven't gotten to The Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, or Halo 5.

2016 could be a pretty amazing year for me thanks to that. Always a silver lining.

Always.

Man I had a good laugh over this.

sphinx

the piano man
1.Final Fantasy Type 0 ; it has a very intricate entertaining story to unfolds as you keep playing the game in subsequent playthroughs.. JP voice acting with subtitles does wonders for the story and at the end I wish the game wouldn't have ended in such a tragic note, but this are JRPGs so it's expected.

2.Shovel Knight ; it's lots of fun and the free DLC guarantees you get the bang for whatever buck you pay, it's amazing.

other than that... I haven't played that many things, lol

CXVnYFWUMAE113a.png

1. Bloodborne ; Disturbingly beautiful. A thrill to kill, a lust for blood, a search for insight. There are no shields to cower behind, there is plenty to be disgusted at, visually or mentally, and there is, as always of Fromsoftware, endearment to be found among the denizens of this wicked world. This game can be pretty challenging, but quite honestly I found it to be very easy to get into, as compared to any other souls games. The mechanics are even easier to abuse, dashing like a mad man, parrying with a gun is easier for me, though it is limited. The regain system encourages offense, I like it. Active faster paced battles with some of the most disturbing and disgusting creatures I’ve seen in a video game. Some are quite creative as well, and give off a very odd connective structure to the game’s lore. Eyes for insight? Crazy witches that pluck eyes and cover their body to achieve said insight.While some of the bosses are cake, they are some of my favorites. I love the One Reborn’s soundtrack, Micolash’s AWOOOOs and howls, and the collective prayer of failures that paint a lovely cosmic sky during battle. Of course there are annoyingly difficult encounters as well, la, la,..la, la, la, la…la,la.. HALF HEALTH CHALICE DUNGEONS, fuck ebrietas, FUCK Laurence. Well at least it’s satisfying when I do manage to beat them. The game is great, the DLC is fantastic. Bloodborne is a total mindfuck at times, a sadistic challenge, a disturbing display, it has a beautifully bleak atmosphere and is my game of the year. Plip…plop…drip…drop... I'm a robin.
CXa6HYEUoAAKoLL.png

2. Disgaea 5 ; I haven’t played a Disgaea game since the 3rd one and this entry is certainly a great welcome back. At times I love to just grind away mindlessly in RPGs and this series is perfect for it. THERE ARE SO MANY NUMBERS. The updated and streamlined mechanics help so much, grinding to get something like a 900 statistician wasn’t very cumbersome at all, and in fact it was pretty enjoyable to achieve one. The amount of shit I can do in this game astounds me. Obviously this isn’t unique to this entry but it still is surprising to me that you can have little denizens in items that boosts stats for it, kind of like Keebler elves or something or how ants work. There are a lot of new mechanics (well to me) I haven’t encountered too, the cheat shop which makes specific grinding for exp, money, mana, etc. even easier. The curry shop which provides for temporary boosts, squads and world discovery for items and loot. The story is okay, kinda anime, well it is anime. Humorous at times, not too bad, silly too. But the gameplay is greatly enhanced by the features available. The grind is eternal as is my enjoyment for it. Plip!
4122913023b8af7f406c0596f160afab.jpeg

3. Until Dawn ; Probably the first and only game that my real life friends enjoyed with me that isn’t motion based (i.e. Just Dance) or touch enabled (mobile). Also probably the most involved I’ve seen some of my friends with a video game ever. From cringe to legitimate fear and fright, this game is a real treat to play with friends.
CYpuZUfWMAAZiQI.png

4. Tearaway Unfolded ; An adorable paper adventure. Lovely aesthetic, whimsical soundtrack and all too charming. Crafting all my own creations for use in the game just makes me smile. Plus you can ride a pig, oink
CLv6Br7WgAEnylX.jpg

5. Toukiden Kiwami ; My experience in hunting type games is pretty limited. But there’s something enjoyable about taking down spongy huge monsters with friends/a.i. limb by limb, even if it is a massive grind. Fuck RNG though. It’s fun, repetitive as hell, but fun.
CGiR67RUYAEkIwd.jpg

6. Super Exploding Zoo ; Honeyslug’s latest mish mosh of explosively adorable zoo animals and the ever dangerous alien invasion. It’s a puzzle game where you control cute zoo animals that explode and defeat the invading aliens. It’s cute, whimsical and adorable.
hqdefault.jpg

7. Little Battler’s eXperience ; Little tiny robots waging war for the fate of humanity! There's something appealing about little robot trios fighting against one another on wastelands or a coffee table, combat is pretty decent for a level 5 game, greatly customizable, and a variety of different ways to play, I have to say I enjoyed this game more than I thought I would have.
WVW69iwd9eoq1OLxBF

8. Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon ; This game is a huge improvement over gates of infinity. The writing in it is pretty humorous for a children’s game. I like PMD, haven’t played it in a while, just the fact that this has ALL of the pokemon available for recruitment (well 720 of them at least), it doesn’t have the SLOWEST scroll speed for dialogue and there isn’t that much in comparison to gates of infinity makes me enjoy the game a whole lot. I don’t miss hunger though.
9. Life is Strange ;
10. Her Story ;

x. Yokai Watch ; I LOVE a lot of things about this game. It's charm, it's creature designs (despite Level 5 being lazy and rehashing character models with color reskins for evolutions) the music, the dialogue is surprisingly humorous. But the combat I hate, i just hate it. It's so annoying having to play as spectator most of the battles just to occasionally do mini games to activate abilities, if it was just i don't know something more directly involving I would've enjoyed it much much more.
x. Dragon Quest Heroes ; highly repetitive, but fun, but highly repetitive and boring mission structure, collect that, defeat that, defend that, repeat
x. Heroes of the Storm
x. Rocket League

myco666

1.- Final Fantasy Type 0 [PS4]: it has a very intricate entertaining story to unfolds as you keep playing the game in subsequent playthroughs.. JP voice acting with subtitles does wonders for the story and at the end I wish the game wouldn't have ended in such a tragic note, but this are JRPGs so it's expected.

2.- Shovel Knight [3DS]: it's lots of fun and the free DLC guarantees you get the bang for whatever buck you pay, it's amazing.

other than that... I haven't played that many things, lol

You might want to check your formatting if you want to be your vote to be counted. Also wasn't Shovel Knight released on 3DS last year?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
1. DiRT Rally ; Just a game I've been waiting for forever, especially on the PC. A car and a track, that's it. Crashes matter, every corner is a thrill, every drift a highlight and the number at the end a statement. It only cost me about 20 bucks in the Codemasters store and I see myself playing this, with breaks, for many years to come.

2. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ; Impressive game, top to bottom. Loved the graphics, the elemental gameplay, the variety in styles to attack any obstacle and the new gamepad controls.

3. Resident Evil HD REMASTER ; Resident Evil Director's Cut on the Playstation was always one of my favorite gaming experiences, but I never returned to it, until now. The HD remaster does the masterpiece justice and my fear of it maybe not being able to stand the test of time were unfounded. It's still great, even better and this is a perfect way to show it to newer generations.

4. Life is Strange ; Like many others, I saw a lot of potential in Remember Me and Dontnod really proved me right with this one. A great world, a story that actually made me think and a surprisingly satisfying ending.

5. A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build ; A very smart idea turned into a polished puzzle experience. It made me think, increasingly so, without being frustrating. Very pleasant experience all around

6. Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition
7. Downwell
8. Cities: Skylines
9. Ori and the Blind Forest
10. Axiom Verge

iz.podpolja

Neo Member
1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; There is so much already written about this game that it is extremely difficult to find something that isn't a worn cliche but here it goes: for me it was the best overall gaming experience this year. Now that I have this out of my system I can proceed to the critical part. And no it's not going to be in the" controls are wonky & combat is garbage" popular hyperbole vein. SPOILERS AHEAD
My biggest gripes are with the main story, and no, it is not going to be about how underwhelming Eredin is as a villain. I am not a great fan of antagonists being the main narrative vehicle in a story, so I'd gladly seen him written completely out - good riddance, or replaced by any other "circumstantial" natural or magical disaster - 'cause that is exactly who he is. It is obvious to me that at some point devs decided to focus on Ciri's story, but the game was already "The Wild Hunt" so they couldn't just abandon this part, and as a result the "dysfunctional family" aspect of the game - Yen vs Geralt vs Ciri vs Triss is barely fleshed out. With all parent figures that the player meets throughout the story (Bloody Baron, Emhyr, Crach) displaying different facets of parenthood carefully foreshadowing Geralt's own attempts at being a father it seems such a missed opportunity that this aspect of the game is almost completely missing. Where are Ciri vs Yen dynamics? Why Ciri is so forgiving and understanding if you choose Triss? Why tension between Triss and Yen is barely there. Last but not least - why is Ciri so bloody nice and lovely with all what she endured in the past? Imagine having fully developed net of choices leading to endings, all based on interpersonal dynamics, not just the 5 binary ones we got. Well, at least, as it is, the game is a step up in terms of having a self-defeating protagonist, instead of another pompous "overcoming your foe" story.

2. Undertale ; It's such a charming game in all its aspects. Hope its success will breed us more clever & emotionally impactful indies, which in an industry that requires truck-loads of cash for development and marketing is a light in the tunnel for those who like their games to be more then a palatable but safe in every way products.

3. Pillars of Eternity ; Another RPG on the list. I'm a sucker for nostalgia & Obsidian brings me just this - a good-old-times tale in a good-old-times entourage & some modern tech under the hood.

4. Bloodborne ; Great combat experience, superb atmosphere, but a step back in Soulsborne franchise in terms of build variety. I think DS3 will bring this back, but will they manage to make the setting as interesting and unique? Well, remains to be seen.

5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain; Great controls, so much fun - but why would anyone decide that releasing half-finished game is a good idea? This game is a testament to what is both great and terribly wrong about this industry - it's a lens through which we can take a closer look at the turbulent confluence of corporate calculation and artistic (in its original sense - ie ars/techne "craftsmanship") vision - a rare opportunity because publisher's usually try to mask it, polishing even the shitty parts of the product.

6. Life is Strange ; My High School was so dull in comparison (but had a better ending than episode 5)

7. Sunless Sea ; Another great game that makes me think that AAA industry will have to change or wither & die - it's just barely keeping up. Even though it's seemingly yet another indie take on rogue-like formula it delivers one of the best written & atmospheric experiences this year.

8. Splatoon ; Pure fun.

9. Her Story ; It's not so stellar as the previous 2 indie games. But it shows that a technically simple game, with a very non-gamey mechanics can be a well-crafted narrative experience.

10. Rocket League ; Vide: Splatoon's description.

x. Fallout 4 ; Bethesda seriously needs to step up their game. Their now at BBB+, first year in recession but the gamers' equivalent of S&P says the forecast is pessimistic.

sphinx

the piano man
You might want to check your formatting if you want to be your vote to be counted. Also wasn't Shovel Knight released on 3DS last year?

edited the post, poor FFT0 nobody liked it so its not like it'll matter -_-

Shovel Knight 3DS, yes, it was a November 2015 release.

myco666

edited the post, poor FFT0 nobody liked it so its not like it'll matter -_-

Shovel Knight 3DS, yes, it was a November 2015 release.

Well I would be bummed if my vote wouldn't count even if I only voted for obscure stuff.

Weird could have sworn that it was 2014 release. Oh well Shovel Knight should be still elligible since it was released on PS4/Vita/XONE this year.

1. Bloodborne ; love everything, everything from art, story to gameplay!
2. The Witcher 3 ; this is a template on how you should make an open world game!
3. BLOPS III ; after Cod 4 MW I never thought i will play CoD again, good job Treyarch!
4. Fallout 4 ; I'm the wanderer....
5. Mad Max : nailed the atmosphere!
6. The Order 1886 ; laugh all you want i enjoyed the game (too bad we wont see sequel)!
7. MGSV ; this was the biggest disappointment for me this year but i respect Kojima!
8. Assassin's Creed Syndicate ; after Unity i almost gave up on the franchise!
9. Batman Arkham Knight ; enjoyed the game and even the batmobile sections!
10. Mortal Kombat X ; still playing on weekly basis with friends!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
wfLW3rz.jpg

1. Bloodborne ; Nobody builds a videogame world like Miyazaki. Nobody. Even though I knew I was in for gothic horror in a Victorian setting, nothing prepared me for how much the slow perversion of this world would affect me. Churches that fill every nook and cranny with cthulu ornaments made me feel like we could have it a lot worse out here in reality with the religions we got going around.

Monster design was off the charts with the Souls series' A-team nailing cosmic horror all alongside sound design that would intentionally unsettle. The resonant 'cosmos' sound at the top of the Choir is the most unsettled a videogame has ever made me. Top of the class combat takes some cheap hits from bosses over-using room sized swiping moves, but the speed and fluidity of dodging is a fun new twist on the Souls formula and weapon variety alone is worth the price of entry.

As usual, the DLC sends the game up another notch in quality with lore that fills a void and boss encounters that provided some of From's best ever (and worst:
Laurence should have stayed impaled with that tree thing up his butt
). Bloodborne excels in every area a game can hope to and where I don't need to make excuses for its quality in any way. Thatsa game of the year!

h8v0RtN.jpg

2. Transformers: Devastation ; I worship at the Saito altar ever since Revengeance. He drills down on combat systems in a way I find all the rest of Platinum miss slightly, and delivers boss encounters that really pump up the adrenaline.

If it wasn't for the sudden and godawful top-down segment, this very well could have been top for me. It has the soundtrack of the year, the G1 cel shaded graphics are so on point its a nostalgasm and you can tell the team had love for the franchise by plumbing even the depths of prototype action figures and the shows production bible for boss movesets.

The hour I strived to beat the Megatron boss as Sideswipe on Commander difficulty is in fact my 'Gaming Moment Of The Year'. It hurt so good.

JD3Eh6j.jpg

3. Yakuza 5 ; I'm not even halfway through and the length and breadth of Yakuza 5's offerings is still astounding me. I begged for this game for years, and I'm glad I did because its perhaps the most insanely over the top with its content the series may ever get.

Tokyo drifting down the highway to the Daytona theme, playing professional baseball, nailing idol girl routines, or just holding a mans face to the pavement and scraping away a layer of dermis... variety is the spice of life. And you can combine that spice at Kamiyama Works to make a 'spicy knife' which you can combine with the gut of the next punk that tries to start some on the street.

e8KvgRz.jpg

4. Splatoon ; I'd been demanding Nintendo let their new blood develop a new character driven IP for console for over a decade, and they finally gave in.

Splatoon is the breath of fresh air I'd been wanting to slot into a Nintendo console for a long time and I'm so pleased it didn't get Miyamoto'd into a Mario game like it came close to doing. The movement mechanics tied to the shooting is some real great stuff, and were it not for the annoying roll out of content and 'map rotas', I'd have played it a hell of a lot more.

Z11wYYF.jpg

5. Metal Gear Solid V ; Disappointment of the Year! But theres still the shadow of a great game to be enjoyed, even if it leaves you with no sense of closure and after seeing the cut content, an even worse empty feeling of regret.

MGO3 being a total piece of crap also took me by surprise.

Boy I can't stand to think about this game anymore. When I was in the meat of it, I really was enjoying myself. Then the knife goes in.

7s9Ln6r.jpg

6. Monster Hunter 4U ; It looks like cigarette butts wrapped up in disembodied rotting dogflesh, but that hunting gameplay is as sublime as ever if not more so. The single player having even more of a storyline than ever was also greatly appreciated.

I can't wait for the 3DS to be over so the seemingly eternal age of PS2 level Monster Hunter graphics can end.

IJCu0CX.jpg

7. Tearaway Unfolded ; Very pleased about another 30 people got to play this wonderful little gem. Some of the additions were a hoot, but it didn't feel as cohesive as the Vita version due to not having all the hardware gimmicks to rely on.

oKaM0yL.jpg

8. Batman Arkham Knight ; Runner up disappointment of the year! Once again, when the goings good, I had a whale of a time actually being the Batman. Then for some reason I'm in a hovertank for 10 years and nothing interesting ever comes of it.

55fgOFe.jpg

9. Star Wars Battlefront ; Whats there is really fun, but whats there is about a third of a game. I played a lot of the fighter squadron mode, didn't bother with much else, moved on. Dose grafix tho. Lord almighty.

I5yvtnH.jpg

10. Dragonball Xenoverse ; I got to make my OC go super saiyan and wail on Team Fourstar's Nappa. That gets you onto the list.

All in all, 2015 was a fairly disappointing year with a few blinding highlights. 2016 is clearly one of them thar "make up" years as the antidote.

1. Life is Strange ; The only game of 2015 that I can't get out of my mind. It's powerful, throught-provoking, evocative, and unforgettable, and I love it to death.
2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; An instant classic with the best open-world quest design, hands down. The stunning conclusion to Geralt's journey (even if I haven't seen it yet).
3. Dragonball XenoVerse ; The DBZ game of my dreams. I can't believe it's finally here!
4. Sunless Sea ; A game that proves just how far good writing and atmosphere can carry a game. It is a journey through the zee, unknown, and it is terrifying.
5. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Open world area design so good I can't help but explore it, with some of the best visuals I've seen this year. And with mechs!
6. Tales From the Borderlands ; Proof that both Borderlands and TellTale still have some fight left in them. It's funny, touching, and memorable in the very best ways.
7. Thea: The Awakening ; A clunky, imperfect game that has some of the coolest ideas I've seen, both mechanically and conceptually.
8. Shadowrun: Hong Kong ; It is buggy and far from satisfying, but it's still one of the most engaging settings out there. I always want more Shadowrun.
9. Contradiction - Spot The Liar! ; Charming. FMV. In 2015. And the gameplay is done very well, too. With a proper ending, it would have been even better.
10. Cities: Skylines ; A game of grand mistakes. Who knew traffic flow was so important? If only I could fix it...

Honorable Mentions
x. Pillars of Eternity ; There are many things I don't like about PoE, from it's story, setting, and gameplay... but it has shapeshifting druids and I respect that.
x. Rebel Galaxy ; Lightyears of style. Like a leaf on the wind.

Philly40

1. Bloodborne ; I love the feel of latent menace. I love the fact that this is the first 'Souls' game where I've honestly been interested in the lore. I'm not a particularly skilled gamer, but I feel the difficulty level in this game was almost custom designed to suit me.

2. Life is Strange ; I really didn't think this was a game I would enjoy, but the positive word of mouth saw me pick up the first episode to try it out when it was on sale. Instantly hooked, and it only got better.

3. Rocket League ; I stopped playing PES and FIFA four or five years ago, the controls seemed to have gotten needlessly complicated as time went on. Rocket League harks back to football games such as Sensible Soccer, *cliche*easy to learn - difficult to master*cliche*.

4. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture ; Mixture of nostalgia for the period / location, and an absolutely beautiful soundtrack.

5. Rock Band 4 ; Still my favourite local co-op experience, shame it wasn't as polished as past iterations (although understandable, given that these games just don't sell well anymore)

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; I've never been a huge fan of fantasy. Sure I enjoy Lord of the Rings as much as the next guy but this game was something else. The only thing I don't like about it is that it didn't come out while I was in college and had time for it.
2. Rocket League ; The game came out of nowhere and snagged itself a spot in our gamenight rotation. Not an easy feat. Easy to learn and hard to master, great online and in splitscreen.
3. Until Dawn ; The game David Cage have spent a career trying, and failing, to create.
4. Batman: Arkham Knight ; The Batmobile became a bit much, and the lack of bossfights was a bummer, but in my eyes as worthy of a send-of we could've hoped for.
5. Cities: Skylines ; I'm not big on simulators but this one caught my eye and even though my cities never became great metropolitans I greatly enjoyed my time with it.

1. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; This game improved on Tomb Raider in almost ever area. The tombs were very interesting, even if a few of them weren't very long. I liked the combat once I got the hang of it. It was more about movement than accurate shots at the difficulty level I played on.
2. Ori and the Blind Forest ; I'm now a Moon Studios fan. Ori combines incredible 2D animation with fun traversal. I cannot wait for the definitive version of the game to get dropped.
3. Halo 5 ; I may be the only person who enjoyed fighting the Warden. The multiplayer aspect is much improved. I will go back to this one frequently.
4. Metal Gear Solid V ; I absolutely hated Metal Gear Solid 4. The game had too many long cut scenes that weren't very interesting. I pretty much skipped them at the end. This game cuts toward the opposite side of the spectrum. Gameplay is front and center. I've had moments in this game that weren't like anything I've ever experienced before. My favorite was when I was fighting a helicopter and multiple people on the ground and was going to die for certain. Then a sandstorm came and saved my hide.
5. Massive Chalice ; I wasn't expecting much from this game but then I ended up beating it. I spent hours when I wasn't playing it looking for breeding strategies and learning the specifics of each class. Caberjacks are awesome.
6. Batman Arkham Knight ; It wasn't my favorite Arkham game but it was a worthy conclusion. I wish they didn't add so much fluff to see the true ending.
7. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; More Wolfenstein is a good thing. I liked the supernatural angle to this game and the comparitively aincent technology utilized by the enemies.
I really liked at the end when each enemy turned into a zombie because you could strategically kill enemies and let them attack each other.

LTTP Games I loved:

X. Shovel Knight ; Mega Man 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. This one was right up my alley.
X. Rare Replay ; An incredible selection of games for a killer value. This one will be installed for a long time.
X. Alien Isolation ; Great survival horror game. There were times where I was actually shocked by the alien and what it chose to do.
X.Child of Light ; I played this game shortly after my daughter was born and the story really touched me in an unexpected way. I wouldn't have finished the game if I wasn't thinking about my daughter the entire time I was playing it but I actually had a ton of fun.
X. Metro 2033 ; A stealth shooter is right up my alley in terms of genres I like. The story wasn't very good and the fact that you were always following someone took away from this game but the stealth sections against other humans were great.

D23

1. The Witcher 3 ; one of the best game i have ever played, every quest feels different and i love everything about it.

2. Metal Gear Solid V ; the gameplay is really fun, the ability to tackle mission differently is fun.

3. Until Dawn ; I loved the story and its very engaging

4. Tomb Raider ; Great sequel and i had a fun time. graphics blew me awa;

ODDI

1; MGSV The Phantom Pain - This game was truly a rollercoaster A ROLLERCOASTER OF EMOTIONS!!! (for me anyways) but Kojima you son of a bitch you did it, my first ever MGS I've beaten and I loved it.

2; Fallout 4 - Ok why did I choose this over that other RPG well cause it's simple I had fun A LOT OF FUN i'm talking playing this and only this for 3 weeks, any game that gives me opportunity to go fuck off in the world is A ok in my book.

3; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - This has to be the most premium game all year for me the amount of detail put into this game is on another level and this is coming from a huge R* fanboy, this is how you do a open world game.

4; Rocket League - I'll say this is the game to introduced me current gen multiplayer, the game that made say "fuck this 2mb connection I'm gonna get something better", the game that makes me feel like a hero every time I bury the opposition. Thank you PS+ Thank you Psyonix!

5; Rise of the Tomb Raider - Loved the reboot knew I would love this.

6; Undertale - Tumblr.

7; Batman Arkham knight - Holy shit I'm Batman!

8; Bloodborne - This is a vote posted on behalf of my bro. (He helped with some of these other picks)

9; Halo 5 - With the changes to the core gameplay Halo isn't exactly the game I remembered way back when but man flanking the enemy with an SMG never gets old.

10; Pac-man 256 - From the guys who made the brilliant Crossy Road (I know it's been done already) present the next best Pac-Man game.

myco666

1) The Witcher 3: one of the best game i have ever played, every quest feels different and i love everything about it.

2) Metal Gear Solid V: the gameplay is really fun, the ability to tackle mission differently is fun.

3).Until Dawn: I loved the story and its very engaging

4)Tomb Raider: Great sequel and i had a fun time. graphics blew me away

Check your formatting.

1. MGSV The Phantom Pain
2. Fallout 4 (yep I chose that)
3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
4. Rocket League
5. Rise of the Tomb Raider
6. Undertale
7. Batman Arkham knight
8. Bloodborne
9. Halo 5
10. Pac-man 365

You need to add a comment to at least one of those games after semicolon for your vote to be counted.

Melchiah

It should count as separate entry but I assume lot of people don't want to give Bloodborne two spots in the top 10 list. At least I think that expansions don't deserve spot in my top 10 so I put them in honorable mentions.

But you can vote for them both?

From the OP:
Eligible games:
  • Playable content released this year is eligible. This includes new games, remasters, ports, and so on.
  • DLC, including expansion packs, are eligible to be voted on as long as it's playable. Destiny: The Taken King is eligible. Horse Armor is not.

My ballot was disqualified! Why?
Most likely, you didn't follow the rules above. What you probably did: You didn't number things correctly. You didn't write any comments. You listed the same game more than once. You didn't follow the formatting rules.

1. Bloodborne ; Loved the level design in this, lack of handholding made every accomplishment felt hard earned, rare these days.

2. Rocket League ;

Meh year. The Witcher 3 would be here if I came close to finishing it, I'm loving it. HM2 and MGSV were huge disappointments for me.

myco666

But you can vote for them both?

From the OP:

Well at least my vote wasn't disqualified last year when I had voted for Dark Souls 2 and had the DLC as a honorable mention. They are also separate in the spreadsheet as are Witcher 3 and the Heart of Stone expansion so I would assume you can vote for both.

Melchiah

Well at least my vote wasn't disqualified last year when I had voted for Dark Souls 2 and had the DLC as a honorable mention. They are also separate in the spreadsheet as are Witcher 3 and the Heart of Stone expansion so I would assume you can vote for both.

Good to know. Forgot the check it from the spreadsheet. I'll keep my post as it is then.

Sinthetic

5cUSZGql.jpg

1. Splatoon ; From the Global Testfire to spending around 1000 hours with the game after release, I still find myself learning and trying new things. It's pure fun in every way, with deep mechanics and layers to delve into. It's also the cutest and most cheerful looking game in years. A solid single player campaign is also here that makes it an even better package.

Nothing beat scoring 2500 on Turf War, getting a perfect reroll from Spyke, or dunking the Rainmaker over and over again for me this year. A true Nintendo classic that shows taking a risk can pay off.

HgiqAkxl.jpg

2. Bloodborne ; The game that redefined how I play and think of games. With its Lovecraftian setting, brilliant soundtrack and restrained approach to story telling, it drove me to despair, only to greet me with pure joy.

I had never played Dark Souls before this, so I was thrown into the deep end to sink or swim. Very nearly did I sink, as I faced the Blood-Starved Beast for the 30th time and my heart pounded, I felt like I was experiencing the terror first hand. Then, as I impaled my fist into his chest for the visceral kill, I understood the brilliance and triumph that is Bloodborne.

5oIJSRKl.jpg

3. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture ; Haunting, powerful and extremely touching. A joy to experience and get caught up in. Complete with one of the best OSTs of the year.

Busaiku

1. Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX ; Quite possibly my favorite rhythm game. The songs were great overall, there were a variety of fun modes (including Puyo Puyo), and most of all, it is beyond adorable. The Vocaloid raising aspect is not as deep as other games, but this was so much more fun, due to the overwhelming cuteness. This is the game I love going back to most. I look forward to the Project Diva games, but they'll never have this level of charm and diabetes.

2. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; I had a ton of fun with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, but this elevated things to the next level. So much more variety, and the focus on vertical movement was a lot more enjoyable than swimming. Insect Glaive is the best thing.

3. Splatoon ; This is probably a more common choice among my list, so there's not really too much I can add. The most fun shooter I've ever played. So much fun and color, it was too fresh. Probably my most played game this year. Only reason it's not higher is cause of random maps, stage selections change only every 4 hours.

4. The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask 3D ; First time playing this, and it was really interesting. Definitely feels different from other mainline games, and side characters feel so much more important too. The time travel mechanic is used very well, but I still have a sense of dread on every 3rd day. It's amazing to see the world prior to Link's involvement.

5. Stella Glow ; A very fun SRPG, with fun, characters, and an interesting world. Mechanically, it's not too difficult, but there are enough systems and skills that keep me super engaged. Developing the relationships is always fun, it's just great interacting with the cast and all of their idiosyncrasies. Music is also really nice.

6. The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel ; Super fun and expansive. So much to do, and so much to interact with, and it was the first time I actually went through and interacted with everything I could. The worldbuilding is wonderful, and definitely got me hyped for the conflict at large. This would be my top game this year, but technical issues severely hampered my experience. Still thought it was worth the 100 hours I put in though, and I probably will try to platinum this. That ending though...

7. The Legend of Zelda Tri Force Heroes ; Another super fresh game, with a fun world and great mechanics. Lots of humor and cuteness make this a blast to play through. As much as the random online experience is frustrating, it is also a source of so much enjoyment. Wish single player was more manageable, but the game was so fun overall.

8. Danganronpa Another Episode Ultra Despair Girls ; Definitely different in terms of the despair experience, but still a good entry. It was interesting to see the world outside of Hope's Peak. While it upped the ridiculousness, which I thought weakened Goodbye Despair (in relation to Trigger Happy Havoc), it is still great to see the series embrace it to the fullest.

9. Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer ; A nice "diversion" entry to the series. I won't deny that it felt more limited in relation to New Leaf, but the cuteness is definitely the main draw of the franchise at large. A good use of amiibo for this; definitely the best among the games I played thus far. I wish it was compatible with the figures though, cause those amiibo are definitely the most appealing.

10. Story of Seasons ; We all know what the true Harvest Moon is, and this is a return to form that follows up on, and lives up to A New Beginning. Farming feels just as intuitive, and the customization is just so satisfying. Rivals really breathe a lot of life into the characters. While I still think Animal Crossing reigns supreme in the life sim genre, this is definitely a worthy substitute.

Honorable Mentions

xx. Pokémon Shuffle ; A fun enough puzzler, in spite of the F2P aspects. Mega Evolution is honestly more fun and rewarding in this than in the standard games. The way it changes the flow of the game entirely just feels so exciting.

xx. Neko Atsume Kitty Cat Collector ; Everything about this game is just yes. Didn't put too much time into this, but you definitely don't need to to get a feel for it. Socks is my bro.

xx. Lord of Magna Maiden Heaven ; An interesting take on the standard SRPG formula with the "bowling". Definitely feels satisfying lining up attacks for maximum effect. Didn't play too much to get a definite feel for it, but I feel it deserved a mention.

Thought the voting period was longer.
Shame I didn't manage to play Devil Survivor Record Breaker or Persona 4 Dancing All Night, I imagine those would've been in the top 10. Was also looking forward to Ar no Surge, but it took me a while to make it through the Ciel no Surge summaries to get ready for it, and I ended up never getting to it.

Chris1

Last year we had the results up within 4 hours of the voting closing. This year we're aiming to significantly improve on that time.
Cool, was wondering the same thing.

Thanks for all the hard work from everyone involved, we all appreciate what you're doing!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
1. Super Mario Maker ; SMB3 and SMW are special games for me - nostalgic for a great number of reasons. Any excuse to jump back into those settings, no matter how slapdash and perverse they've now become, is welcome. Super Mario Maker transforms Mario into a puzzle game. Sure, the platforming is still there and often more wretched and agonizing than it ever was in the originals, but in order to reach those sections you must first find out how. The retro Mario aesthetic remains as inviting as ever and kept me repeatedly coming back in a way most of my list fails at. I still haven't created anything. Until they have all the tools and content to create SMB3 and SMW to completion, I will consider the creation aspect at least somewhat of a failure. The current levels are too rigid. I want slopes. I want to create a world in the clouds with a spiral castle that I can visit in a tanooki suit. But damn, what they DID manage to include, and the way in which the tools make it possible, should not be overlooked. Imaginative levels waiting to be navigated with pixel-perfect control.

2. DiRT Rally ; RSC2 is an all-time favorite of mine, and Rally is the most fun I've had racing since. Codemasters deserves serious credit for engaging the community and taking criticism to heart. I picked this game up on the first day of early access, and it has blossomed into a product I'm still excited to play months later. This game controls the part, looks the part, and is so incredibly rewarding I consider it the Dark Souls of racing. Never did I contemplate owning a wheel until I played Rally.

3. Axiom Verge ; This game completely derailed my playthrough of Bloodborne. From the moment I booted it up, all I wanted to do is explore. Axiom Verge satisfied me in a way I only thought a new 2D Metroid could. The dozens of weapons that were fun to experiment with, tight control, and fresh gameplay mechanics they added to a very tried-and-true formula kept things moving at a pace I never tired of. The presentation felt alien yet familiar, with nifty graphical effects and songs that at times sounded truly bizarre.

4. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; I had dabbled with Tri and MH3U, so at the very least I knew what to expect heading into this one. There's something about grabbing your handheld and embarking on an adventure away from home. This game wouldn't be as high on my list if I didn't have awesome people to team up with locally. We had a group of basketball players from the gym meet up and play occasionally (not while at the gym, of course), often at the expense of our basketball commitments! The MH4U save file I have sitting in my system somehow makes the system feel customized by me. It holds my character and all his gear and progression, and I love that.

5. Bloodborne ; This was a big one. It was easily my most anticipated game of the year. The first thing that stood out to me is the environmental artwork. I didn't NEED additional variety because what's there is so special. That also carried over to the weapons, which not only looked cool but felt great to slay with. Poking and prodding at each new location felt similar to other games in the series, all within a tight labyrinth of world design most games fail to match.

6. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; I had never beaten a MGS game. Sorry, but I always felt disconnected with my character in a way that made stealth a frustrating experience. The beauty of MGSV is that not only does it finally nail the control, but treats gun play as a viable option without the need to restart. I would still attempt to sneak my way around bases (more rewarding), but I was a force to reckon with should I get caught. Unlocking new guns and gadgets at a constant rate meant I often had a new way of attacking the next mission.

7. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Every time I boot this game up, I'm in awe of what CDPR was able to create. This isn't Elder Scrolls where you'll see five people walking around a main city. In this game you'll see dozens (Radiant AI be damned) of folks that are needed to form an actual place of commerce and corruption. At first I felt the obligation to complete most side quests in fear of missing out on unique schematics or other such valuables, but that became tedious and I wound up completing half. This allowed me to discover and explore the world at a more respectable pace, while consuming most of what the game had to offer. There were times when I thought this game felt as environmentally detailed as GTAV. I'm looking forward to delving into the expansions as time allows.

8. Invisible, Inc. ; Klei surprised me with this one. I couldn't stand Don't Starve and wasn't sure they had it in them to make a game for me. Luckily, the art style was enough to peak my interest, and once I began completing missions I realized the gameplay systems backed up that art. Invisible, Inc. has just enough of the original X-Com games and Final Fantasy Tactics in it to win me over. Plus everything loads quickly and the mechanics are so snappy that I feel I can get in and out of the game without wasting any time.

9. Technobabylon ; I love old school point & click adventures. I'm a big fan of the Blackwell series and Gemini Rue, so I was automatically destined to enjoy this one. The wetwork philosophy is interesting, and hacking into cyberspace invigorated my imagination in a way adventure games of the past used to. Cheffie was annoying as hell but also extremely dark and playful in a way that really drew me in. The voice acting in general has a certain earnestness to it that helps me relate to these huge pixel characters in a way I never would otherwise.

10. A-Train 3D: City Simulator ; I enjoy many of the games on my list for the way they evoke nostalgia. A-Train 3D reminded me (partially) of the joy I had when Transport Tycoon first launced. It took a classic genre, city building, and focused on a single aspect or two of it. Trains have a certain romantic stigma surrounding them, and watching them march around on their tracks while producing economy for you is a neat model to examine. This game does get hard though, and you'll need to fully understand all aspects of micromanaging this sim to be successful.

Fhtagn

1. Bloodborne ; Ever so close to being my favorite game of all time. It’s not going to connect with everyone, and you might bounce off this series a few times before it clicks, but if it does click, you’re in for a very special experience. Having platinum’ed both the main game and the DLC, I keep trying to put it down to work on my backlog or just try new games and yet end up right back at it. Incredible soundtrack and atmosphere combined with action mechanics that just feel so damn good to get right. As eager as I am for Dark Souls 3, I am almost frustrated there isn’t a longer gap between the two because I’m just not done yet and it isn’t fair to every other game coming out this year.

2. Until Dawn ; This was a real blast. First game I’ve ever played start to finish with my wife; I handled the controls and QTEs and she made most of the decisions. We’re both huge horror fans and watch 80s slashers all the time; this game skewed a bit more 90s in style but it was just a delight. I went back and did an all survive run, and I might make it my first non-Souls platinum later by doing an all die run. The long dev cycle let them get this game right. I hope more games can be made like this.

3. Shovel Knight ; This game distills so much of what I like about “Nintendo hard” platformers, while simultaneously having so little of what I don’t like about “Nintendo hard” platformers, that it’s a real joy to play even though I’m frankly embarrassingly bad at it. I’m 10 hours into my first play through and I’m loving every second even as I die stupidly pretty regularly. A beautiful blend of MegaMan, Duck Tails, Super Mario Bros 3, and Dark Souls. I appreciate that the game is balanced around being completable even by someone as bad at platformers as I am, while also being balanced around it being great for ultra hard gimmick plays and speed runs. Absolutely delightful soundtrack to boot.

4. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin ; Maybe the most divisive game here on GAF; I’m a big fan of Dark Souls 2, though very frustrated by certain design choices. I had to pace out playing this vs Bloodborne, because at first I couldn’t get back into the slower style, but once I got to Huntsman’s Copse, it clicked and I played through to NG++ and got the Platinum. If the half dozen or so most common gripes about the game aren’t deal breakers for you, there’s a really fun time to be had here.

5. Axiom Verge ; Super Metroid is the most common frame of reference for Axiom Verge, and while that game is a clear and obvious inspiration, the thing that caught my eye the most was how much it’s color palette reminded me of Genesis games like Turrican. An enjoyable Metroidvania with a decent sci-fi plot and catchy soundtrack. I didn’t get as obsessed with it as I was hoping to, but I did beat it and enjoyed my time with it.

6. You Must Build A Boat ; This was a really great time killer on my iPhone. A puzzle RPG hybrid with a fun premise that I sunk a ton of downtime into. No f2p bs either.

7. Super Mario Maker ; A game I have barely played, and yet it brought me so much joy this year via twitch and at AGDQ that it’s clearly one of the best games of the year even as a spectator. I’ve played enough of it to know it’s a delight to play as well. If I get a Wii U, this will be in the first batch of games I buy for sure.

8. Undertale ; I played through this one time specifically for GOTY consideration. It’s very charming and I get why people are obsessed with it. It didn’t quite connect with me at that level but it delivers well on it’s curious blend of Earthbound, Dodonpachi and Nier, a combo I never would have thought possible.

Titan Souls is a game I wish could be on this list but to use a Dark Souls metaphor, whereas Shovel Knight feels like it’s on par with NG difficulty, Titan Souls is tuned to around NG+4 difficulty. As such, I got stuck repeatedly and it may be a long time till I beat it. I get what they were going for but it just missed the mark for me. Beautiful game, great music, satisfying to beat a boss in, but just too frustrating for me to finish in a year.

I didn't play enough of Life is Strange or Jamestown+ to feel right putting them on my list, but they felt like contenders.

chrixter

1. Super Mario Maker ; The most transcendent gaming experience I've had in years. It isn't just that it's the most accessible level editor I've ever used, or that it utilizes the most refined platforming mechanics ever conceived, or that it leverages 30 years of Mario nostalgia. It was the most fun and unique time I had interacting with other human beings in video games, perhaps ever. It gave me some insight into video game development. It helped me finally relate to the appeal of Twitch. And it made me fall in love with my favorite video game franchise all over again.

2. Yoshi's Woolly World ; No other gaming experience was as consistently sublime for me as Yoshi was this year. Abundantly creative level design, beautiful patchwork visuals, wonderfully mellow soundtrack, and Yoshi's core mechanics are the best they've ever been. Just an absolute joy to play from beginning to end.

3. Rocket League ; I thought I was done with competitive multiplayer years ago, and then Rocket League came along. Its phenomenal gameplay, design, and overall polish kept me hooked.

4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Simultaneously one of the most engrossing and yet disappointing gaming experiences I've ever had. But I love it. It kept me so engaged I couldn't put it down, eventually dumping around 75 hours into it in little over a week.

5. SOMA ; The best narrative experience I had all year. Loved exploring the existential questions the game asks its players and being confronted with profound ethical dilemmas in ways that only this medium can offer.

6. Ronin ; Awesome little stealth action game with a badass turn-based combat system. Challenging but so satisfying.

7. Her Story ; Brilliant concept and execution, even if in the end I didn't love the actual story.

8. Invisible, Inc. ; Stealth and strategy executed with the care and polish that Klei has become known to deliver.

9. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Some of the best writing, storytelling, and world-building I've ever seen in a game. If only its gameplay mechanics matched its presentation, this might have been one of my favorite games of all time.

Honorable Mentions

x. Fallout 4 ; Addictive and fun, but ultimately forgettable.
x. Hacknet ; Really cool and slick hacking sim.
x. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes ; So much unique co-op fun with one of my best pals (hi An <3).
x. Life Is Strange ; Creative use of time travel, both mechanically and narratively.
x. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Fantastic presentation and platforming mechanics.
x. Splatoon ; So fresh, so stylish.

1. Undertale ; Amazing, amazing game made even more impressive by the fact that its development was almost entirely a solo effort. Rarely have I found myself so engrossed by a game, but the top notch soundtrack, clever battle system, touching story and a strong sense of humor pulled me in and still haven't let go, months later. I would not be surprised if Undertale ends up being remembered as an all time classic.

2. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; 90 or so hours in and I feel as if I've barely scratched the surface- that's the mark of an enormous game. 90 or so hours in and I can't wait to hop back in- that's the mark of an amazing game. MH4U features a massive amount of compelling content, enhanced by a very strong audiovisual presentation and some of the best co-op this side of Phantasy Star Online. Fourteen weapon types to master (all of which are very distinct in terms of play style) and a huge, challenging array of monsters for the player to confront with them. I honestly don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that this is my favorite game available on the 3DS.

3. Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward ; A very solid expansion for a very solid game- Heavensward delivers on pretty much all fronts. The story is one of the best I've experienced in a Final Fantasy game. The new zones are crafted in such a way that makes you really want to explore them, and the new flying mounts control like a dream, making said exploration a joy. The three new jobs are really cool- I'm personally a fan of the Machinist! To top it all off, Masayoshi Soken delivers an incredible soundtrack yet again. Just about ever aspect of the expansion comes together nicely, leaving a very good impression overall.

Dalek

1. Bloodborne ; An experience like none other. Also contains my #1 "Shit just got real" moment.
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Impecable, perfect gameplay. It breaks my heart that so much of the story is hollowed out. It doesn't feel like Metal Gear and yet it does.
3. Destiny: The Taken King ; so addictive. I could play this game forever. I wish there was just new content rolling out every 3 months or so.
4. Splatoon ; So much fun. Everyone that's come over to my place and seen this game immediately becomes wrapped up in it and wants a turn. A minute to learn-a lifetime to master.
5. Arkham Knight ; not as great as the previous entries, but a feat nonetheless.
6. Fallout 4 ; Pretty dissapointing overall for me-but it does scratch that "exploration" itch that I get sometimes.
7. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M ; speaking of scratching itches, this one held me over until the next Fire Emblem. "So much for stealth!"
8. Lara Croft GO ; one of the biggest surprises for me all year-a GORGEOUS game that's really addictive to play.

1; Bloodborne-An experience like none other. Also contains my #1 "Shit just got real" moment.
2; MGSV-Impecable, perfect gameplay. It breaks my heart that so much of the story is hollowed out. It doesn't feel like Metal Gear and yet it does.
3; Destiny: The Taken King-so addictive. I could play this game forever. I wish there was just new content rolling out every 3 months or so.
4; Splatoon-So much fun. Everyone that's come over to my place and seen this game immediately becomes wrapped up in it and wants a turn. A minute to learn-a lifetime to master.
5; Arkham Knight-not as great as the previous entries, but a feat nonetheless.
6; Fallout 4-Pretty dissapointing overall for me-but it does scratch that "exploration" itch that I get sometimes.
7; Code Name: S.T.E.A.M-speaking of scratching itches, this one held me over until the next Fire Emblem. "So much for stealth!"
8; Lara Croft GO-one of the biggest surprises for me all year-a GORGEOUS game that's really addictive to play.

You would have to use ; in order for post to count.

in order for your post to count.

c6hDmCy.gif

1. Until Dawn ; Until Dawn is like a combination of my two favourite games of 2010 – Heavy Rain and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. It combines the former’s interactive movie aesthetic and perma-death feature with the latter’s horror-led, snow-ravaged backdrop and first-person therapy sessions. It starts off as pure B-movie schlock, but through some classic misdirection, and a whole lot of tension generated through its lack of a game over screen, morphs into something much more noteworthy. Its cast of teenage dweebs and dolts begin as mere stereotypes, but via a connection to these characters that can only be established through an interactive medium, become a likeable bunch that you genuinely want to save through the whole ordeal. It’s frequently hilarious, the highly-detailed and borderline pre-rendered graphics paired with the fixed-camera angles make for some stunningly picturesque imagery, and Emily is video gaming’s definitive bitch out of hell. I loved every minute of it.

#TeamEmily

ssNEjJ7.jpg

2. Yakuza 5 ; It’s a mini-miracle that Yakuza 5 eventually managed to find its way to the West, and I feel blessed to be playing it. Truth be told, the fifth installment doesn’t make any great strides in differentiating itself from the previous entries, but it doesn’t feel like it has to. Yazuka is its own beast, and there’s little out there to compare it to still. It continues to operate as a slice of virtual tourism for anyone not living in Japan, and its bizarre mix of hard-boiled drama and exaggerated theatrics shouldn’t work, but remains as endearing now as ever before. Outside of the tried-and-tested brawling, Yakuza 5 offers more authentic locations to explore, Haruka’s chapter is a welcome change of pace from all the male posturing and bravado, and the story is quite possibly the best since 2 (I wouldn’t know – I haven’t completed it yet!). Yep, Yakuza 5 is like seeing an old friend again after a long-term absence, and it warms the cockles to have Kazuma and company back again.

eDMehYC.jpg

3. Batman: Arkham Knight ; Already widely perceived as the black sheep of the Rocksteady trilogy, I honestly thought this was the best entry of the lot. The major point of contention is the much-maligned Batmobile, but not once during Batman’s exploits did I roll my eyes when the situation called for him to hop in the car again. Racing around Gotham at high speed proved to be a constant joy, and I even had a blast weaving in and out of the line of enemy fire in combat mode as well. Otherwise, the streamlined open world was a welcome change compared to other 2015 games that pride themselves on how many square miles of land they have to roam about in, regardless of whether the content is there to justify the size. Graphically Arkham Knight is a stunner, with Gotham City really popping off the screen in all its neon-lit glory, the acting performances are all above the board, once again harking back to golden days of The Animated Series, but most of all I appreciate how the game manages to keep so many different plates spinning at once with the wide range of gameplay styles it incorporates. Switching between combat, stealth and driving sections is seamless, and the host of mechanical tweaks and improvements added on top is icing on the cake. And then there are the all-killer-no-filler side-quests that have the good sense to know that optional content should be optimal content. Yeah, I don’t get the hate.

U6bdk8I.png

4. Bloodborne ; Bloodborne is punishing, stress-inducing, often obtuse and just downright disturbing a lot of the time. But it’s exhilarating. Its boss battles are some of the most thrilling and tense I’ve ever encountered, and there are few things in this hobby that can compare to the sense of well-earned victory felt from toppling another Lovecraftian abomination that just whupped your ass twenty times prior. I’m no Souls fanatic by any means. I’ve only played Demon’s Souls prior to Bloodborne, and that’s because it was a PS+ offering at some point. I don’t identify as a hardcore gamer in the slightest and I honestly prefer an easy game to a challenging one. But Bloodborne transcends all that. It presents a deep, well-oiled, honed-to-perfection combat system, and then wills you to overcome the many hurdles of its nightmarish world by demanding you play in a sensible fashion, by exerting both extreme caution but also taking the occasional risk and going on the offensive. If I wasn’t such a dirty casual, it’d probably be at the top of this list.

The Chalice dungeons though? More filler than a Cadbury’s Creme Egg. Less of those in the future please.

Ovm196y.jpg

5. NekoBuro CatsBlock ; If the true measure of a video game is how long it keeps you planted on the toilet seat after you’ve pooped, then NekoBuro CatsBlock stands among the giants. I went into this expecting nothing but a momentary diversion, lured in by the attractive art style and a cheap asking price, but what I got was a fiendishly addictive match-three puzzler complete with an adorable charm all of its own. My trophy hunting days are long over, but NekoBuro had me so hooked that I willingly exhausted all the possible challenges it had to offer, just because it was that much fun. The ‘story’ of a group of box-shaped alien mogs taking over the homestead of a Japanese girl is incomprehensible, and the piss-poor Engrish translation even more so, but in pure gameplay stakes, this is a satisfying little time killer with a perfect learning curve that’s ideal for short bursts. For the asking price of three sterling pounds, you can’t go wrong.

1bRq2NY.jpg

6. SteinsGate ; My gateway into the standard visual novel genre. The lack of interactivity compared to something like Danganronpa or Virtue’s Last Reward is a bit of a damper, and there are a couple of agonizingly slow chapters to suffer through at the beginning, but endure the setup and there’s a captivating sci-fi story to be found that goes to some unexpectedly dark places. You can literally pinpoint the exact moment Steins;Gate elevates itself to something special, where everything is flipped on its head, the stakes are suddenly raised, a protagonist who was previously an obnoxious bore is forced into a more heroic role and the narrative forms a vice-like grip, refusing to let go until the end. It’s regarded as a genre classic and I see why.

kVZPeXP.jpg

7. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; For the first 40 or so hours, this was undoubtedly my game of the year. Considering its vast scope, The Witcher III is one hell of a graphical marvel, the writing is second-to-none, and a hefty sum of the side content extends beyond dreaded fetch quest monotony. However, I have to judge the overall product from its beginning to completion, and I won’t lie, tedium set in in a big way as the hours drew on, until by the end I was seeing markers on a map like a checklist that needed to be ticked off more than anything else. The overarching plot is poorly-paced and takes far too long to start chugging along at a steady rate, the game peaks early with the Bloody Baron quest, it doesn’t feature enough diverse and visually-stimulating environments to justify its HUGE open world and the horse-riding controls like red hot ass. It’d be at #10 were it not for Gwent - the finest mini-game to ever grace an RPG since Final Fantasy VIII’s Triple Triad brought out the worst of my OCD tendencies. Definitely a title that would’ve benefited from being more compact, but still an impressive achievement all the same. What can I say, open-world fatigue is truly starting to take its hold on me.

1hM0ll3.jpg

8. Fallout 4 ; Now this was a pleasant surprise. I’ve grown accustomed to feeling nothing but disillusionment with Bethesda’s open-world games in recent times, and what with this new installment being criticized inside and out, I didn’t have high hopes. Maybe it was because my expectations were low, but the fact that Fallout 4 was mercifully free of performance hiccups and glitches (at least in my experience), wasn’t the technical abomination that Skyrim was on the PS3, and avoided being a constant eyesore like Fallout 3 was helped a lot in winning me over. This time I got a post-apocalyptic setting with some colour in its cheeks, gunplay so significantly improved that I could now play the game like a shooter without having to always rely on the V.A.T.S. system and a lot less copying-and-pasting of locations to pad out the environment. A really gratifying level up system didn’t hurt either. Sure, the quest structure has been simplified and the character models look laughably bad, but overall Fallout 4 scored Bethesda some brownie points with me in 2015.

DQheroes.jpg

9. Dragon Quest Heroes ; Both my first Dragon Quest and musou game, and one which I liked enough that it already feels like a warm-up for the upcoming XI. The breezy, peppy tone is a breath of fresh air compared to your typical JRPG, and there’s a lot of fun had in mindlessly slashing away at swarms of monsters while at the same time adopting some strategic thinking when protecting a certain object from enemy attacks. It’s lite, it’s relatively simple and it’s not remotely ambitious, but I’m having a good time with the game and that’s enough.

CfTfEEk.jpg

10. Superbeat: Xonic ; I doff my cap to any entertainment product that can take a musical genre as bereft of artistic integrity and substance as K-pop and make it sound pleasurable to listen to. It’s been a long time since I played a rhythm game, and this assault on the senses serves as a fine reintroduction to a genre I’ve abandoned for the past couple of generations. And boy do I know it, because Superbeat gets brutally difficult real fast. I’d give up were it not for both the overwhelming urge to ‘git gud’ due to excellent mechanics and the eclectic selection of tunes that really do sound good in the context of playing the game. K-pop still sucks though.

x. Grim Fandango Remastered ; Still one of the great adventure games of all time, and it was a pleasure to be given the opportunity to play it again, since I had a horrible time trying to get the original to run for the past few years. The only reason it isn’t sitting at the #1 spot is because it’s a re-release.
x. Tearaway Unfolded ; Something got lost in translation when this was ported to the PS4. I don’t know what it is exactly, but it feels like something of an afterthought whereas the original was tailored for the Vita and a joy from start to finish. There were segments in Unfolded that felt like a chore to get through, and those segments were usually built from scratch for the PS4 version. Definite pacing issues. Still enjoyable, but a wholly unnecessary port.
x. Life is Strange ; Worked far better as a thriller than a slice-of-life portrayal of teenage life. The final episode was a real let down, and Chloe’s an insufferable asshole through and through.
x. Tales From the Borderlands ; Intermittently funny. Held back by a creaky engine that started showing its age a couple of years ago. Not enough interactivity for my liking either.
x. The Order: 1886 ; Heaps of potential not properly realised in a development span that obviously devoted more time to the engine than to the actual game. I liked the world, the cast and lore it presented, it just didn’t do enough with it. Too linear, too short, too many walking sections and an abrupt ending to top it all off. Needs a damn good sequel so that RaD can redeem themselves.
x. OlliOlli 2 ; Kept removing the rubber of the analogue stick pulling tricks, so I stopped playing it.

gai_shain

1. Castle in the Darkness ; Awesome game with lots of content for the price.
2. Undertale ; Was going to put that at #1 but after I thought more about it I had more fun with my current top pick.
3. Rocket League ; Best multiplayer game that was released in 2015 for me

Leb

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Miyazaki's magnum opus. I know some people suggest that in a medium as collaborative as video game development, the auteur theory holds very little water, but Miyazaki's presence is felt all throughout the game, from the sumptuous level design to the rich established lore and world building to the tightly written quests. And Skellige? Miyazaki, please.

2. The Witcher III: Hearts of Stone ; This expansion is basically one of the short stories from GRRM's 'Sword of Destiny' or 'The Last Wish' brought to life. And just as I enjoy the short stories somewhat more than the saga itself, so too do I enjoy this expansion somewhat more than the game proper.

3. SOMA ; The Chinese Room really nailed this one. A remarkable achievement and a moving mediation on the nature of loss and grief.

4. Life is Strange ; I'll be the first to suggest that Telltale has suffered a lot of missteps since TWD, but with Life is Strange, Telltale has finally knocked the wicket out of the park. The relationship between Kate and Chloe is just fantastically developed and the world itself is surprisingly well realized. Not to ape Kate's favorite catchphrase, but, "Deus Vult!"

5. Cities: Skylines ; Firaxis has largely redeemed itself with this game. The politics, the intrigue, the grand sweep of history -- this game has it all.

6. Undertale ; Though my time with this game was brief, I definitely spent some time with this game and the time I spent with this game, while brief, was undeniably time spent with this game.

usp84

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Miyazaki's magnum opus. I know some people suggest that in a medium as collaborative as video game development, the auteur theory holds very little water, but Miyazaki's presence is felt all throughout the game, from the sumptuous level design to the rich established lore and world building to the tightly written quests. And Skellige? Miyazaki, please.

What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom