• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year Awards 2008

AniHawk

the thoroughbred said:
Why?

Just aren't bothered anymore?

Usually I'm extremely busy when I decide to do them, and there always seems to be someone that has a different idea how to do them and they get shut down. Wouldn't hurt to see if another system is better or better-liked.

gimmmick

That's a lot of fucking counting I bet. (and it seems like as each year passes... more and more people are voting compared to 2004).

billy.sea

Banned
Top 10 this year will probably be:

Street Fighter 4
Uncharted 2
Scribblenauts
New Super Mario Bros.
Modern Warfare 2
Shadow Complex
Assassin's Creed 2
Halo ODST
Beatles RockBand
inFAMOUS

AniHawk

billy.sea said:

Street Fighter 4
Uncharted 2
Scribblenauts
New Super Mario Bros.
Modern Warfare 2
Shadow Complex
Assassin's Creed 2
Halo ODST
Beatles RockBand
inFAMOUS

I wouldn't be surprised to see KZ2 take it and for WSR to hit the top 10. Depends how the next person does it, though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
AniHawk said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see KZ2 take it and for WSR to hit the top 10. Depends how the next person does it, though.
I think it's pretty much U2 for the lead. It seems to be the fanboy's bread and butter this year(Comes out at the back half too, so less time for the hype to die down). It's going to be top 3 at the very least if not 1. K2 may come in on the back half. While Scribblenauts is definitely the dark horse. Either way there is going be allot of year of the PS3 meme flying around like normal.

BeeDog

shintoki said:
I think it's pretty much U2 for the lead. It seems to be the fanboy's bread and butter this year(Comes out at the back half too, so less time for the hype to die down). It's going to be top 3 at the very least if not 1. K2 may come in on the back half. While Scribblenauts is definitely the dark horse. Either way there is going be allot of year of the PS3 meme flying around like normal.

Is this some kind of pre-emptive trolling? What IF people genuinely find Uncharted 2 to be the best game this year, are they fanboys then?

AniHawk

Now that I think on it though, Half-Life was going to be a DC game, and it was released on the PS2. I think 1998-2004 would be a good timeframe for PC games from last gen.

upandaway

billy.sea said:

Street Fighter 4
Uncharted 2
Scribblenauts
New Super Mario Bros.
Modern Warfare 2
Shadow Complex
Assassin's Creed 2
Halo ODST
Beatles RockBand
inFAMOUS
All of them are horrible.

I only play games that score 10 or more.

AniHawk said:
I think it could/should be a top 20 or 25 instead of top 10.
I disagree. While it's true that there are tons of games to be considered in a game of the generation vote, I think most people already have a hard time creating a meaningful and organized top 10. I can't imagine anyone being able to create a definite top 20 or 25.

BeeDog said:
Is this some kind of pre-emptive trolling? What IF people genuinely find Uncharted 2 to be the best game this year, are they fanboys then?
If Uncharted 2 wins everyone will just cry fanboys, whether true or not.

AniHawk

slaughterking said:
I disagree. While it's true that there are tons of games to be considered in a game of the generation vote, I think most people already have a hard time creating a meaningful and organized top 10. I can't imagine anyone being able to create a definite top 20 or 25.

I guess that's true. I think there should be something a little different to separate it from a yearly thread though. Maybe 15 choices?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
UC2 has a good chance of being high on the list, because it has has a good chance of being a high quality game at the end of the year.

I'd be surprised if KZ2 makes the top five, though, honestly.

It's not going to be an easy year to predict. MW2 will be up there, I guess.

Here's hoping Brutal Legend earns a good position.

AniHawk

mario ate my burger said:
Last generation would be too easy

1. GTA 3
2. San Andreas
3. Vice City

That's about it

I would hope people wouldn't do this, because San Andreas is clearly better than the other two and stands the test of time far better as well. Same would go for other games that don't hold up to their sequels. The idea would be to be voting for your favorites now, not what they were back then.

Personally, I'd change my 2004 choice from KOTOR II to Half-Life 2, and move Pikmin 2 to second place and KOTOR II down quite a bit.

AniHawk said:
I guess that's true. I think there should be something a little different to separate it from a yearly thread though. Maybe 15 choices?
Well, I don't know. I think a top 10 would be just fine, but if you want to separate it from the GotY thread 15 is the next best thing, I guess.

Fredescu

AniHawk said:
Wouldn't hurt to see if another system is better or better-liked.
Do you have a particular critique of the system you've used in the past? I think it's pretty good. I'm not sure it would work so well if you had 25 choices and gave 25 points to number one though. That would kinda negate your later choices as they would score so low.

AniHawk said:
I would hope people wouldn't do this, because San Andreas is clearly better than the other two and stands the test of time far better as well. Same would go for other games that don't hold up to their sequels. The idea would be to be voting for your favorites now, not what they were back then.

Personally, I'd change my 2004 choice from KOTOR II to Half-Life 2, and move Pikmin 2 to second place and KOTOR II down quite a bit.

Ok, you're right. I put GTA 3 first for what it did for the 3D sandbox genre. My judgement was clouded when SA is clearly the better game. Therefore, I will change my top 3.

1. San Andreas
2. GTA 3
3. Vice City

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
In terms of counting...to make the job easier...surely it should be possible for someone (maybe me if I have time) to make a scraper that could go through the thread and look for a certain specified formatting, and to count the votes. It wouldn't be perfect, because people have different ways of naming different games, but you'd at least get stuff like:

metal gear solid 4: xxx
mgs4: yyy
mgs: zzz

which could then be reasonably easily added together...at least vs counting individual posts!

AniHawk

Fredescu said:
Do you have a particular critique of the system you've used in the past? I think it's pretty good. I'm not sure it would work so well if you had 25 choices and gave 25 points to number one though. That would kinda negate your later choices as they would score so low.

Yeah, that's a good point too. One of the reoccurring criticisms is that the top choice doesn't mean a whole lot. Some people think it should be worth more than the runner-up. That's why I let people have gaps between their next choices if they feel their runner-up wasn't really all that close to their favorite game.

The other thing is that some people want to vote for games for specific genres, rather than the genres being decided where a game falls into someone's top ten list.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
BeeDog said:
Normally I don't respond to these, but I guess I'll bite.

I don't recall questioning the quality of it. GOTY awards are allot more about hype the game receives than quality of the game. It's not to sound harsh, but do you really think GeoWII deserved it's 5 or 6 spot with a broken online mode? If you take a look at the most hyped games from the beginning of the year to this, there is allot of overlap. It does have merit since they are linked to quality developers. But it also meant they manage to build up a fanbase prior to release and allot more exposure so the game is more known(you still get that 1 or 2 a year which do manage to build up it's train of hype after the game came out). In the end, It still comes back to hype.

I can always go further with how the bulk of the games will fall on the big 3 consoles, while the other 3 systems take a hit. Be interesting to see where Igames fall into line with this one.

But I'll finish it with this, Fanboy doesn't have to include a negative connotation. It means you're a fan of it. We have a small amount of Dragon Quest ones here. They really love the game and I'd considered them to be big fans of it. How can anyone considered that a bad thing when everyone here is one of some game or another. But once it goes into a meme like nature of hyping the game up. Nor do they blindly hype a game up based on the system it's coming out on.

About the only one that has manage to build up a big hype train without really feeling like a nuisance has been Scribblenauts. The avatars are actually a clever use, It was a game with no media prior to E3, it is attempting to do something really different, and so forth. It's also been in one thread for the most part.:lol

billy.sea said:

Street Fighter 4
Uncharted 2
Scribblenauts
New Super Mario Bros.
Modern Warfare 2
Shadow Complex
Assassin's Creed 2
Halo ODST
Beatles RockBand
inFAMOUS

If fuckin... Beatles Rockband beats Resident Evil 5 or something... I just wouldn't know what to do except cry moar.

mclem

pizzaguysrevenge said:
I definitely think that Half-Life belongs in the N64/PS1 generation.

Just look at the graphics.

Half%20Life%20(1).jpg

Browse http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation/medal-of-honor/screenshots a bit and then see if you still think that. I'd consider Half-Life firmly in PS2 generation (And HL2 in with 360/PS3).

A game of the generation vote would be pretty interesting. My only problem with it is I'd probably sit there for a couple hours trying to figure out my entire list...

Expect to see Steel Battalion near the top!

AniHawk

mclem said:
Browse http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation/medal-of-honor/screenshots a bit and then see if you still think that. I'd consider Half-Life firmly in PS2 generation (And HL2 in with 360/PS3).

HL2, along with other 2004 PC games, came out for the Xbox though.

Dreamcast games that were also PSX games would also count (Rayman 2, Marvel vs. Capcom, etc), you'd just have to be voting for that particular version (I played Rayman 2 on the N64 and only the N64, so I wouldn't vote for it). Technically, this would make Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 game too.

Mar

Oh god, why did someone bump this. Now I'm depressed... No Burnout Paradise nor Mirror's Edge in the top 10. Last year was the worst GAF GOTYs ever.

Anihawk, your idea of a GOTG? I'm in.

Top Bottom