• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
If you could only keep one, Below the Heavens or Man on the Moon?

BTH easily, soulful... Actual rapping chops too . Man on the Moon is mumbly boring 15 year old stoner whiny shit. CuDi's delivery is so awful. It has no flavor or variation in it. There's some good beats on this CD but make no mistake MOTM is the most overrated piece of music to ever hit the rap genre.

Except maybe Carter 3.

Recon

Banned
BTH easily, soulful... Actual rapping chops too . Man on the Moon is mumbly boring 15 year old stoner whiny shit. CuDi's delivery is so awful. It has no flavor or variation in it. There's some good beats on this CD but make no mistake MOTM is the most overrated piece of music to ever hit the rap genre.

Except maybe Carter 3.

MOTM1 was extremely refreshing. It isnt a pure hip hop album, so judging it accordingly seems stupid. Also, by saying it is "mumbly boring 15 year old stoner whiny shit" sounds like you are confused, because that describes MOTM2, not MOTM1.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
So I've decided Souls of Mischief are the greatest thing ever. I only have their first album and I'm aware of how awesome the song Cab Fare is. Where should I go next for them? Do they have a lot of mixtapes and shit that I need to track down (for stuff like Cab Fare) and Hieroglyphics have their own albums too right?

Stop right there. Track down some remixes from the first album. Get "Get the girl, grab the money and run" from the Low down Dirty Shame soundtrack and call it a day. Nothing they have done since that time period has even come close IMO.

Esch

Banned
MOTM1 was extremely refreshing. It isnt a pure hip hop album, so judging it accordingly seems stupid. Also, by saying it is "mumbly boring 15 year old stoner whiny shit" sounds like you are confused, because that describes MOTM2, not MOTM1.
I'm just saying son is b- rapper, mumbler, whatever. I know its not pure hip hop. The vocals still blow.

I'll be up up and away
up up and away
cuz they gon' judge me anyway so whatever
I'll be up up and away
up up and away
cuz in the end they'll judge me anyway so whatever

that old getting high in your room when you're 15 years old angsty shit.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
MOTM wouldn't have been shit without the production. The production is the star of the show, and cudi is along for the ride. Still a fantastic album despite cudi not because of him.
Blu is garbage though, talking about overrated. Haven't heard Below the heavens though, just her favorite color and some other random unmastered collections of bullshit that bounced between being completely unlistenable and showing glimpses of promise muddled through shit production values.

That Chiddy Bang album is great, fun album, despite corny lyrics here and there.

PBY

Banned
MOTM wouldn't have been shit without the production. The production is the star of the show, and cudi is along for the ride. Still a fantastic album despite cudi not because of him.
Blu is garbage though, talking about overrated. Haven't heard Below the heavens though, just her favorite color and some other random unmastered collections of bullshit that bounced between being completely unlistenable and showing glimpses of promise muddled through shit production values.

That Chiddy Bang album is great, fun album, despite corny lyrics here and there

Right?! I'm telling you guys, its really good.

Stop right there. Track down some remixes from the first album. Get "Get the girl, grab the money and run" from the Low down Dirty Shame soundtrack and call it a day. Nothing they have done since that time period has even come close IMO.

Damn... so the Hieroglyphics comps aren't worth checking out either?

I'm just saying son is b- rapper, mumbler, whatever. I know its not pure hip hop. The vocals still blow.

I'll be up up and away
up up and away
I'll be up up and away
up up and away

Bleh, his choruses aren't the greatest thing, but compared to some bullshit that's out and popular now like Wiz Khalifa's "Young, Wild & Free" (I saw this on Fallon one night), it makes Cudi look like a fucking genius. I know Wiz Khalifa sucks but still. MOTM has some great fucking songs, and some amazing verses

That Chiddy Bang album is great, fun album, despite corny lyrics here and there.

You can't really decouple production and lyricism like that...both are what make an album. It's why people still dislike Mac Miller despite most of his stuff having great production. Same with Big Sean. Cudi was definitely a factor in what made MOTM1 good. Simply claiming it was just the production is wrong

I'll be up up and away
up up and away
I'll be up up and away
up up and away

Sounds like a personal problem...I didn't interpret that the same way. It's not different than any other musician making a song about all the pressure and haters and etc

T Dollarz

Do not speak on Blu until you have heard Below the Heavens.

siddx

Already knew that would be the response, already had BTH loaded up and ready for listening. It's pretty good. But the hype still makes no sense. It's good, not amazing. And it doesn't change that everything else I have from him is garbage.

siddx

You can't really decouple production and lyricism like that...both are what make an album. It's why people still dislike Mac Miller despite most of his stuff having great production. Same with Big Sean. Cudi was definitely a factor in what made MOTM1 good. Simply claiming it was just the production is wrong

Sounds like a personal problem...I didn't interpret that the same way. It's not different than any other musician making a song about all the pressure and haters and etc

Lyricism? Thats the last word I would think of regarding cudi. He can't rap for shit. Can he write a catchy hook? Sure. Can he warble out lines in an acceptable manner that doesn't detract from the production? Mostly. But without the brilliant production on MOTM1 nobody would have given a shit about it.

CRS

Cudi's vocals add to the album's already amazing atmosphere and he may not be the best rapper, the content of his lyrics were a highlight for me.

T Dollarz

Yeah I agree the message behind Cudi's first album is what really makes it stand out (along with the production of course). The second had great songs but lacked the deeper complexities of the first.

CRS

Neither, Section 80

Speaking of Section.80, album fucking clicked with me. Man, what a solid album. Thought it was average before but something happened and now I think it's really good.

Below the Heavens = Section.80

It's stupid to compare MotM with anything else, really.

T Dollarz

Yeah, that's true it is a better comparison. Actually I could see Section.80 being viewed as a classic in the same way that Below the Heavens is. I think what makes Below the Heavens better though to me is the consistent theme, which I always dig.

kamspy

Already knew that would be the response, already had BTH loaded up and ready for listening. It's pretty good. But the hype still makes no sense. It's good, not amazing. And it doesn't change that everything else I have from him is garbage.

That's how I kinda came away from it. Maybe it's one of those albums that you just had to "be there" to appreciate.

Esch

Banned
BtH has tighter rhymes by far over Section 80 imo by far.

BtH was one of those albums for me that i heard round when it dropped that kinda changed how i felt about rap when i was in high school. I loved how it was a compromise between technically skilled rap, soulful production, and daily life tales. I also thought a lot of it was catchy as fuck(Blu Colla Workers, Dancing in the Rain, Soul Amazin). It kinda reminded me of Kanye, but with some more skill on he mic and less pretense. But I guess that's just me.

Recon

Banned
There should be no argument for Section.80 being a classic. Shit was good, but it wasnt even the best album last year, and I dont consider any album from last year a classic. Oneirology was probably the closest thing to one though.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
There should be no argument for Section.80 being a classic. Shit was good, but it wasnt even the best album last year, and I dont consider any album from last year a classic. Oneirology was probably the closest thing to one though.
the sad part is that the best song off of oneirology was "my habit". and that wasn't even a full song. not to say oneirology wasn't good, it just wasn't a classic.

kamspy

Unless I'm missing an obvious one, I'd say Section 80 is the best hip hop album released in the last few years. At least for as long as I've been on GAF HOP.

Unless I'm missing an obvious one, I'd say Section 80 is the best hip hop album released in the last few years. At least for as long as I've been on GAF HOP.

Return of 4Eva, KRIT Wuz Here, Oneirology were all better by quite a bit. I would even put White Jesus ahead of it. Good album, just not there yet.

overcast

I would pick MOTM. BTH is better than Section 80, if we're doing that comparison.

So yeah, about my job. I'm definitely asking for Saturdays completely off and Friday nights off. I have class Friday night, and Saturday is my homework night. I hope that won't back fire...

Recon

Banned
the sad part is that the best song off of oneirology was "my habit". and that wasn't even a full song. not to say oneirology wasn't good, it just wasn't a classic.

Best song was either Embers, Enemies With Benefits, or Stars Shine Brightest. Get out of here with that shit! :p

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I would pick MOTM. BTH is better than Section 80, if we're doing that comparison.

So yeah, about my job. I'm definitely asking for Saturdays completely off and Friday nights off. I have class Friday night, and Saturday is my homework night. I hope that won't back fire...
at least you have a job.

also what about MBDTF

kamspy

GOOD Friday tracks > non GOOD Friday tracks that made it on MDTBF.

Take all the good friday stuff and throw on Title tracks and Hell of a Life and you've got a better album IMO. Maybe keep Gorgeous too. There just isn't enough content on MDTBFD.

WTT > MDTBF

Recon

Banned
GOOD Friday tracks > non GOOD Friday tracks that made it on MDTBF.

Take all the good friday stuff and throw on Title tracks and Hell of a Life and you've got a better album IMO. Maybe keep Gorgeous too. There just isn't enough content on MDTBFD.

WTT > MDTBF

Comparing various levels of crap is not constructive. Also, fuck the beginning of another Kanye Cycle, fucking stop.

siddx

BTH is better than section 80, but thats not saying much really, section 80 was painfully average.

MBDTNVIDIAGFORCE8000 being album of the century is the most absurd fucking statement I have ever heard in regards to hip hop. Ever.

fucking fuck are we on kanye again, fuck this.

kamspy

Son of Chico Dusty was the only album that came to mind as competition for me. I give Section 80 the slight nod. Left Foot is easy #2 since I've been posting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom